Miami Dolphins Talking Points: Beware the opening drive

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BAMAPHIN 22, Oct 14, 2010.

1. BAMAPHIN 22

BAMAPHIN 22 FinHeaven Elite

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...hins-talking-points-beware-the-opening-drive/

2. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Scout Team

It's BS you have stop them at some point. I like that Sparano does that. If gives you that chance of scoring to end the half and then scoring to open the 2nd half. You could get a 14 point swing. I am trying to remember now, didn't they score a TD and FG to end/begin the halfs vs the Jets? I get pretty hammered on those prime time games and forget play by play. Another reason every game should be Sunday at 1.

3. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

Agreed.

4. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Totally disagree, if you get the chance, deferring is always the way to go.

You always want the ball 1st in the 2nd half, this way, if after the 1st half you are leading, this gives you a chance to put an extra nail in the coffin, and if your trailing, you really need to have the ball 1st, because you need to score.

5. IronChef

IronChef A True Fan

Yeah but letting GB score first could be a downer for the team, especially being on the road.

6. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Very similar to the old 49'ers. Bill Walsh would choreograph the 1st offensive drive of the game and they would get the defense off balance, often scoring quickly.

7. omfg

omfg Well-Known Member

this team would be better if they were who we thought they were (a ground and pound) then you get the ball first and pass that **** all over the ****ing place and get up by 14 THEN U GROUND AND POUND ...

the running game is very very very hard to stick by when your down by 14 almost impossible

8. IronChef

IronChef A True Fan

We play our game, we win.

9. Farmer

Farmer ROLL!

the packers did NOT score on their opening drive. Laron Landry made Finley fumble. a similar turnover would be nice for us

10. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

It seem like we do not have an opening drive scripted. Henne always looks at his arm for the play. You would think he would have a first play memorized (the whole offense actually) Shula use to script the opening drive.
    In the Superbowl anyway, there are pretty good stats for the team that scores first wins. If you kick off to start, this does not mean you have the ball at the end of the first half, as someone suggested. I say take the ball first, especially on the road. Will our healthier team kick ***, hope so.

11. Swantoon

Swantoon A True Fan

Truth is if you are a good team it doesn't matter who gets the ball first.

12. IronChef

IronChef A True Fan

I say we take the ball if we can and launch a 9 minute opening drive with nothing but runs with the occasional 5 yard slant for 1st downs. Make them learn real quick that its going to be a loooong day of the R&R Express.

13. SRM

SRM Scout Team

I agree, but unfortunately for us, we don't have the balls to try and score before the half. We're perfectly fine with running the clock out.

14. IronChef

IronChef A True Fan

I have to agree with you on this, we definitely need to have more of a "killer instinct" in games when we are ahead.

15. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

I sometimes like when we defer because it has its advantages. There is the other side where you should take the ball first and grind out a drive that ends with a touchdown.

16. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

But what about when it doesn't end with a TD? Then your screwed out of a possension!

Although this goes both ways, I feel we are (normally) a better team in the second half... (excluding last week's game).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010