Miami Dolphins Talking Points: Beware the opening drive | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Talking Points: Beware the opening drive

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Coach Tony Sparano is famous for deferring when he wins coin flips. Green Bay has built a reputation for successful opening drives this year. That’s something Sparano should think about Sunday, which is where we start our Thursday morning talking points:

1. Sparano might reconsider his penchant for deferring if he wins the coin flip this week.
The thinking, Sparano has said in the past, is that he’d rather have his team get the ball in the second half, perhaps giving them one extra drive with the game on the line. While that’s fine under most circumstances, a look at the Packers’ success on their first drive begs another look at that strategy.

Aaron Rodgers hit Donald Driver with a 29-yard TD pass to cap the Packers’ opening drive against Washington, marking the second time in four games they scored a touchdown. Their 17 points on opening drives this year ranks second in the NFL behind New Orleans, which has 21. Last year, Green Bay ranked sixth with 37 points on opening drives.

The idea, coach Mike McCarthy said, is simple: “Anytime we have a chance to get the football we have an opportunity to score. We want to get as many as possible. When you play a team that slows the game down and tries to limit your series, it’s important to get the football and try to get out there in front.”
If there’s ever a game when it would be wise not to miss the opening kickoff, this might be it.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...hins-talking-points-beware-the-opening-drive/

It's BS you have stop them at some point. I like that Sparano does that. If gives you that chance of scoring to end the half and then scoring to open the 2nd half. You could get a 14 point swing. I am trying to remember now, didn't they score a TD and FG to end/begin the halfs vs the Jets? I get pretty hammered on those prime time games and forget play by play. Another reason every game should be Sunday at 1.

It's BS you have stop them at some point. I like that Sparano does that. If gives you that chance of scoring to end the half and then scoring to open the 2nd half. You could get a 14 point swing. I am trying to remember now, didn't they score a TD and FG to end/begin the halfs vs the Jets? I get pretty hammered on those prime time games and forget play by play. Another reason every game should be Sunday at 1.

Agreed.

Totally disagree, if you get the chance, deferring is always the way to go.

You always want the ball 1st in the 2nd half, this way, if after the 1st half you are leading, this gives you a chance to put an extra nail in the coffin, and if your trailing, you really need to have the ball 1st, because you need to score.

Yeah but letting GB score first could be a downer for the team, especially being on the road.

Very similar to the old 49'ers. Bill Walsh would choreograph the 1st offensive drive of the game and they would get the defense off balance, often scoring quickly.

this team would be better if they were who we thought they were (a ground and pound) then you get the ball first and pass that **** all over the ****ing place and get up by 14 THEN U GROUND AND POUND ...

the running game is very very very hard to stick by when your down by 14 almost impossible

the packers did NOT score on their opening drive. Laron Landry made Finley fumble. a similar turnover would be nice for us

It seem like we do not have an opening drive scripted. Henne always looks at his arm for the play. You would think he would have a first play memorized (the whole offense actually) Shula use to script the opening drive.
In the Superbowl anyway, there are pretty good stats for the team that scores first wins. If you kick off to start, this does not mean you have the ball at the end of the first half, as someone suggested. I say take the ball first, especially on the road. Will our healthier team kick ***, hope so.

Truth is if you are a good team it doesn't matter who gets the ball first.

I say we take the ball if we can and launch a 9 minute opening drive with nothing but runs with the occasional 5 yard slant for 1st downs. Make them learn real quick that its going to be a loooong day of the R&R Express.

I agree, but unfortunately for us, we don't have the balls to try and score before the half. We're perfectly fine with running the clock out.

I agree, but unfortunately for us, we don't have the balls to try and score before the half. We're perfectly fine with running the clock out.

I have to agree with you on this, we definitely need to have more of a "killer instinct" in games when we are ahead.

I sometimes like when we defer because it has its advantages. There is the other side where you should take the ball first and grind out a drive that ends with a touchdown.

Back
Top Bottom