Miami Dolphins Talking Points: Does Matt Moore deserve a little benefit of the doubt | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Talking Points: Does Matt Moore deserve a little benefit of the doubt

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said at the NFL owners’ meetings in March, before the team had drafted Ryan Tannehill in the first round, that incumbent quarterback Matt Moore doesn’t have any sort of advantage over newcomer David Garrard in the competition for the starting job.

“I told David, my only obligation to Matt Moore is he’s a member of the 2012 Dolphins,” Philbin said at the time. “He’s under contract, he played well last year and he deserves an opportunity to compete for a starting job, just like David does.”
Sure enough, throughout much of the offseason practices from April to June, there has been a lot of buzz – the kind of unsourced buzz that makes its way around talk radio and the interwebs – that Garrard has outplayed Moore. On top of that, agent Drew Rosenhaus said Sunday night on 7 Sports Xtra that he expects Garrard to open camp on Friday with the First Team offense, ahead of Moore. And Rosenhaus certainly hears what’s going on – he currently represents nine players on the Dolphins, including three wide receivers.
But has Garrard really leapfrogged Moore in the quarterback race just based off of his performance in May and June? Does Moore’s 2011 season with the Dolphins mean nothing? And if Moore and Garrard are about even after four weeks of training camp, does Moore not deserve any benefit of the doubt based on his incumbent status?
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...a-little-benefit-of-the-doubt-in-the-qb-race/

Looks to me this guy is overrating Moore's 2011 play...18/15 TD/TO ratio (pass + run / int + fumbles lost) playing against a who's who of bad pass defense last year imo does lead to deserving any benefit of doubt. The only doubt it leads to is doubting Moore can ever lead Miami to the playoffs.

But he makes a great backup...no doubt about that.

If what Mike Pouncey said was true, the entire offense was better when Garrard was in. What happens today is more important than what Moore did last year

Damn right he deserves a little benefit of the doubt. He was the only reason last season didn't completely tank. The guys responded to him.

Not a fan of Garrard. Can anybody name a QB who sat out a year due to being summarily released bc he sucked and was injured, and then came back and had success? I'll take him as a backup. That's it.

Yeah, supposedly he has been having good OTA's etc. Who cares. The true comparisons will be during the preseason games. I hope, and expect, Moore wins the job.

Damn right he deserves a little benefit of the doubt. He was the only reason last season didn't completely tank. The guys responded to him.

Not a fan of Garrard. Can anybody name a QB who sat out a year due to being summarily released bc he sucked and was injured, and then came back and had success? I'll take him as a backup. That's it.

Yeah, supposedly he has been having good OTA's etc. Who cares. The true comparisons will be during the preseason games. I hope, and expect, Moore wins the job.
Chad Pennington. Volin has a very bizarre man crush on Matt Moore. He's overrated him all offseason.

It's a new coaching staff and system. Moore has earned the chance to prove he can run the offense, beyond that what more can he ask for? He will get first team snaps.

It's a new coaching staff and system. Moore has earned the chance to prove he can run the offense, beyond that what more can he ask for? He will get first team snaps.

Guess what I'm saying is that if it's close in camp between the two, Moore should get the nod to start the season.

It's about more than just a straight QB comp. its about installing an offense for the future. Philbin is going to pick the guy who can get the whole team running the WCO. That has to put Garrard in the driving seat. It's more than just which guy throws a nice fade route.

Moore will not just have to pick up the system, he'll have to be able to transmit to the whole team the command of theWCO that gets the whole offense ticking. That's a tall order and surely why you can see in player comments that there's a leadership and a composure about Garrard that the other two don't have. It's just another day in the office for DG.

Thats pretty hard for Philbin to ignore in the early games. If Tanny progresses well, I can see us skipping Moore altogether and handing the offense direct to RT next season.

Yes i think he does what har garrard ever done he is no supper star i don"t even like him as a qb he stinks and will alway stink

If what Mike Pouncey said was true, the entire offense was better when Garrard was in. What happens today is more important than what Moore did last year

All 46 plays.........

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

All we are saying........is give Matt a chance...........

Back
Top Bottom