Miami Dolphins’ Walt Aikens working exclusively at cornerback now

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jun 15, 2017.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

[​IMG]

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...aikens-working-exclusively-at-cornerback-now/

2. traptses

traptses Starter

New nickleback? He should be better than our current nickleback. And the band

3. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Darn God no! That dude has concrete for hips and would get destroyed in the slot.

4. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

*shrugs*
    Still better than the band.

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

reads to me like headed towards a specials career

Martel13 likes this.
  6. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Aikens could be a ST pro bowler but he has no business being on defense

Martel13 and JakeemThe Dream like this.
  7. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Been down this road before. Probably a better scheme fit in what the coaches want in their corners but still.

cullenbigcstill likes this.
  8. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Drunk Finheaven VIP Donator

Looks like an emergency plan at cb. Prolly doesn't have much left to learn at the safety position and the more versatile Aikens is the better his roster spot looks

darefugee likes this.
  9. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

He's not a good safety at all. This is more about how much he sucks as a safety then it is about giving the team flexibility

10. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Optimist Homer Finheaven VIP

Was cool seeing Aikens turn into the special teams ace last year -more of the same would be nice, and emergency backup

11. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

he wasn't going to cut it at safety for starter or depth....so this move makes sense to keep him on the roster for ST and corner in a pinch...on the boundary though not likely the slot

12. Digital

Digital Starter

To Walt Aikens credit, his exceptional special teams play seems to be causing the Dolphins to try very hard to find him a spot on this roster. Special teams tends to always need more LB's, DB's, TE's and RB's. Those guys just seem to be within the parameters of what you need a lot of for special teams. Typically, the special teams coach is always trying to get more of those guys.

Looking at those positions on our team, it's kind of slim pickings at the moment. Off the top, I doubt these guys are being considered for core special teams roles: Reshad Jones, Byron Maxwell, Xavien Howard, Kiko Alonso, Lawrence Timmons, Koa Misi, Julius Thomas, Jay Ajayi. Some because they're needed more elsewhere, and others because of injury risks or age. Then looking at our special teams last year, the top performers were Walt Aikens, Mike Hull and Michael Thomas. I'm pretty confident that Rizzi is pushing hard for those guys. Hull looks like he is going to stick. Thomas is being crowded by the influx of DB's (IAQ out, but replaced by Nate Allen and TJ McDonald at S, plus drafted rookie Cordrea Tankersley at CB), but still looks to have a spot at Dime/backup Nickel with some versatility to be an emergency S. That leaves Walt Aikens in a tough spot for a roster spot.

Considering he faces the same squeeze that Michael Thomas faces, I think what they've done is shift Thomas out of the S rotation and into his more natural nickel/dime role. If Aikens couldn't get playing time last year, when our entire safety corps was out, then I doubt he'll have a roster spot this year at safety. So, his chance to make the roster depends on him bumping guys like Lafayette Pitts and showing that in an emergency, he can be serviceable at CB. I hope he can, because he's not being kept for his DB abilities, those aren't good enough. But his contributions to special teams are going to get him a spot on someone's roster, I hope it's ours.

A500 and spiketex like this.
  13. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

He should work exclusively as a special teamer. I don't even want to see him on the field defensively if we've got multiple injuries in the secondary; I'd rather sign someone off the practice squad.

Superb special teamer though.

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  14. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Wells that's one way to go because he clearly cant play Safety.

15. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Is it his physical ability keeping him from playing safety or CB.

16. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I've always thought his issue was more about the mental aspects of the game. He's not a god awful athlete

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  17. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Thats what I heard thats why I asked

18. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Well I didn't like the idea of having two back up safeties in Aikens and Thomas that were good special teams players but couldn;t be counted on to play defense. You could get by with one of those types of players at a position but not two. As for Aikens making the roster at corner, I think it's a long shot barring injuries with Maxwell, Howard, Lippett, Tankersly, McCain and Pitts likely ahead of him on the depth chart.

Fin Thirteen likes this.
  19. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

We did that last year. We signed Rambo off the street and he was starting in the next game while Aikens never saw the field. I don't expect Aikens to get on the field as a CB either. It's just a numbers game...so many spots for CBs and so many spots for Safeties and we signed a couple of safeties plus we'll have to make room at mid-season when McDonald is off his suspension.

Things will come into better focus towards the end of training camp. There will be some hard decisions to make cause I'm not sure we carry 6 WRs this year and even if we do I don't know if Grant will be one of them. That #4 and #5 WR need to be solid special teams players.

20. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Really the next step is to find players who can play and play special teams, hopefully that rookie safety Smith from Ga and one of those young wide recievers. I am also interested in that Southern Ill linebacker we coveted that we gave a extra 10 grand signing bonus. Throw in the 2 rookie defensive tackles plus the Virginia tackle and there are a ton of dark horses to watch and could add much needed depth at a lot of positions. Training camps and preseasons I always enjoy looking for those no name players. This could be jammed full.

21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I would expect a lighter in the pants aikens this year which could effect specials. I doubt he's trying his hand at corner at strong safety size and his physicality on specials has been a big part of his game

22. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

He's only listed at 6'1 205. Our current corners are 6'0 207, 6'2 192, 6'0 201 & 6'1 199. He's has pretty much prototype size for what this staff like at corner. Do you think he is bigger than his listed weight?

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I think he was 225 last year. He definitely put on weight which brought a lot more thump to his game. Became more of a hitter.

24. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream A True Fan

After the Jville game 2 years ago, I can honestly say I've never seen Blake Bortles abuse a safety so badly.

How he's going to play Cb is beyond me.

I don't think there's a chance but Coach Gase is doing the right thing by trying out at a new position.

I'd let him continue to thrive on STs and keep together our STs beasts in Thomas, Hull, and Aikens.

25. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Aikens was almost 220 last year. He is known for having stiff hips and is not smooth in his turns. Can't see any reason why we'd want him at CB. He's strictly a safety and special teamer.

26. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

Probably the worst player I've ever seen get safety snaps for this team in the past decade, maybe longer... Baccari Rambo included. Absolutely no exaggeration either.

27. Digital

Digital Starter

A couple of times I've heard Gase and another coach (Burke maybe?) mention that he is one of the top big athletes. I'm guessing that's in reference to his height/weight vs. other DB's. So maybe he's a bit more athletic than most safeties and physically bigger than most of our CB's. Whatever it is, the coaches have clearly seen and noted it.

28. miamidolphins83

miamidolphins83 Active Member

29. Atila

When you consider that Walt Aiken is absolutely one of the worst safeties in the NFL - all depth players included - it means nothing in relation to that. Any undrafted rookie can flash more than this guy has shown.

30. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

Hope Hendy flashes again this preseason

31. Travis34

Not denying he looked bad out there, but gibril Wilson gets my vote. At least Aikens was only a 2nd year player when we attempted to start him. Wilson was a vet that we overpaid a ton and got crap for results

1 dol fan likes this.
  32. Atila

Gibril Wilson sucked A LOT but (contract aside) looked like a Pro Bowl player compared to the output we got from Aiken. I mean that, Pro bowler in comparison.

33. Travis34

I disagree about that comparison.... I think they played essentially the same

34. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

At 6'1" 220 he's not much smaller than some of our LBs

35. Atila

Yeah, and not much more fluid either.

36. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

Gotta be able to turn and run with receivers at corner. I've never seen him be able to do that with any fluidity. If there's a future there (doubtful) it's at safety.

Jason Allen is having deja vecu sitting somewhere reading this article (although his problem was more between the ears).

37. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I feel like this team has had more than it's fair share of crappy safetys. I'll bet our top 5 beats most teams by a mile.

It's almost as dramatic as our qbs since Marino list

38. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

This is the heaviest I can find his listed weight in this article.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...but-special-in-other-ways-for-miami-dolphins/