Miami Dolphins: Who will become Anthony Fasano’s sidekick? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: Who will become Anthony Fasano’s sidekick?

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Some have wondered whether Haynos, who was waived/injured, might be able to return to the Dolphins once his foot heals. But a source told me this week that while Haynos is recovering on pace, he automatically reverted to injured reserve once no other team claimed him in the waiver period.

This means Haynos could only play for one of the other 31 teams once he’s healthy this season, but the Dolphins would have to reach an injury settlement with him to allow that to happen. Haynos, who would be a restricted free agent next spring, will not play for the Dolphins again this year.

Other tight ends to cycle through the Dolphins’ clutches in recent weeks include Eastern Washington product Nathan Overbay (practice squad), ex-UM standout Dedrick Epps (still on the practice squad), ex-Kansas State standout Jeron Mastrud (who was active against the Jets) and former 2010 Vikings seventh-rounder Mickey Shuler, who arrived last Friday and was inactive against the Jets.

I’m hearing Shuler (6 foot 4, 251 pounds) has been getting second-team reps this week ahead of Mastrud and is a potential monster on special teams, so the Dolphins could be close to filling this void.
“He did a nice job today; he had a good practice today,” Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said Thursday when I asked him what Shuler had shown in his first two practices. “I’ve been impressed with what he’s done mentally because the [Vikings' and Dolphins'] systems aren’t the same; they’re not even close.

“We’re talking words to numbers and numbers to words in some situations. So the formation part of this thing, which he has about 100 of them going into a game, I think it’s all new for him. He did a good job. [Wednesday] he jumped right in there and did some good things, and then today I thought really got a lot better. This guy can run, and today was good because we had pads on. Saw him block a little bit, so that was good.”
Physically, Shuler has all the measurables you’d look for in a tight end. His Pro Day at Penn State, where he flashed a 37 1/2-inch vertical, was legendary.

The bloodlines are there, too, with his father of the same name spending 14 years in the NFL, most of them tormenting Dolphins fans with the Jets.

Once Shuler gets the terminology down after spending the past five months immersing himself in the Vikings’ West Coast Offense, he should be good to go, possibly as soon as Monday night against the Patriots.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

Looks like out of all these young guys Shuler has the most potential to amount to anything. I still wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a tight end this April though.

Just don't show the playbook to daddy.

Good to hear he's picking up the offense. I expect to see him Monday night cause Mastrud spent way too much time on the ground getting blown up on his attempted blocks.

Coming into this season I really thought we would see more TE sets, but it looks like noone is really stepping up and to me thus far Fasano is not living up to the hype. I really wish we had a TE that was as dangerous as other teams have...You look at the elite teams in the league and most if not all have a very good TE.

Coming into this season I really thought we would see more TE sets, but it looks like noone is really stepping up and to me thus far Fasano is not living up to the hype. I really wish we had a TE that was as dangerous as other teams have...You look at the elite teams in the league and most if not all have a very good TE.

Hype? How can a TE who has never had 40 catches in a season have any hype?

Ireland acknowledged that they wanted to address the TE position in the draft, but knew they weren't gonna be able to fill all the holes this year.

The only people who hyped up Fasano were those who thought his 08 campaign was something to build on. If people actually looked at his per game output he was below avg, disappearing games at a time. And he held true to form in 09. Ryan, Flacco and Sanchez all came into systems that either already had their TEs or traded for one.

This along with ILB opposite Danby are this FO biggest failures.

This along with ILB opposite Danby are this FO biggest failures.

And they get no credit for Dansby? Exactly how many ILBs were free agents for us to sign? We drafted 4 linebackers, traded for another and signed a 6th as an undrafted free agent. You can't fault them for trying and you can only pick from what's available in the draft when it's your turn. I think AJ Edds would have helped a lot but he tore his ACL...that's just the way it goes.

We needed to address the OLB spot after getting rid of #99 and Joey Porter and we traded down in the first round so that we could have that 2nd round pick. Considering our first 3 picks are starting for us (and it probably would be the first 4 picks right now if Edds wouldn't have gotten hurt with Crowder out) I think we did pretty good. In a perfect world I suppose all of the draft picks we ever wanted would be waiting for us when we picked but that's not going to happen. I thought the first 4 picks went about as well as I could have hoped for. Odrick, Misi, Jerry and Edds...that's super solid. Once we got into the 5th there weren't many TEs left worth drafting.

Mickey Shuler is 247 pounds but looks slender and closer to 230. He needs to add some muscle. Gives good effort as a blocker but we need to see what he can do in a game.

Mastrud sucks. Cut him.

HA!

wpfZFOyVdf_isawwhatyoudidthere4-1.jpg

Wait a second... If we get a sidekick for Fasano, wouldn't we basicly be stuck with 2 Robins and no Batmans? Who's our Batman in this equation???

Shuler and & Epps will be behind on the depth chart behind Fasano @ seasons end.

It wouldn't surprise me either to see a TE drafted. Pianalto from UNC?

we'll draft someone early come april. there are some nice prospects (hopefully) coming out next year. fasano is the total package minus speed - kind of important - hard to create mismatches when all the LBers are faster than you are.

i miss david martin, and justin peele

Back
Top Bottom