Miami Dolphins Wide Receiver Armon Binns has Coaching Staff Excited !

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fisi, May 28, 2013.

1. fisi

fisi A True Fan Donator

Armon Binns has impressed the coaches (especially in practice) to the point where we can expect offensive coordinator Mike Sherman to involve Binns in the game plan more and more. Through workouts and Organized Team Activities (OTAs), Binns' name has been mention by almost everybody who has seen him practice. Most of the scouting reports on him read something like this "Armon Binns was created with the singular purpose of running down field and catching lobs over smaller defensive backs." It's not crazy for an undrafted receiver to make an impact in the NFL, but recent history suggests that Armon Binns' long term success in the NFL will be as a role player. Especially with Miami resigning Hartline and paying top dollars for unrestricted WRs Mike Wallace and Gibson. Undrafted Receivers Most Comparable to Armon Binns are Victor Cruz (UMass), Donald Jones (Youngstown), Eric Weems (Bethune Cookman), Miles Austin (Monmouth), Nate Washington (Tiffin). Most of these players. like Binns are missing a key component to be the go-to WR but have been complementary pieces at some point in their careers. Most are similar in size and speed to Binns and may be able to give us a look at what we can expect from him.
    http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/...eiver-armon-binns-has-coaching-staff-excited/

2. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

its official they are looking for a 7th in a trade before they cut him.

3. DDTDON

DDTDON Seasoned Veteran

I wish the season would start already lol. I want this team to show the world what it can do and surprise the hell out of everyone.

4. Valbon8

Valbon8 Phins Up!

Let's just hope he catches these deep balls now...

5. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Tourney time!!!

6. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

he did ok when he came in, dreadful game against the Pats but at least unlike Gaffney he got on the field straight away

7. josekareh

josekareh Finfansince75

I had already forgotten about gaffney... LOL

8. abNORMal

abNORMal A True Fan

They were "excited" about about Legadu Nanee last year, too. Kinda makes me wonder if these guys know spit about WR's.

9. Joba-nator

Joba-nator Rookie

Hopefully he turns into a nice slot guy for us, or at the very least a big red zone target.

6'3 210, IF he pans out will be very helpful.

10. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Binns has some prior NFL experience. I hoping a Binns, Matthews or one of the undrafted guys can add something to the team in addition to the starters.

11. hoops

hoops exited stage left

looks ike a bubble guy to me...b/t him and bumphis for the 5th wr spot...

12. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Patrick Turner, Derek Hagan, Lego Myego... Just saying it ain't football till there's pads on, right now it's who's the best at exercising.

13. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Yup. Also why Will Davis is shining early on. Wait till he has to tackle somebody in the heat of a game and the preseason hype could melt away pretty fast.

14. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

I like Binns but have higher hope for Tyms. Both are the same size with Tyms having the better hands and MUCH better speed.

Last year we were trying to figure out who would be the #2-5, this year the top 3 are locked up, with Mathews nearly a lock at #4. This year we will be looking for who makes the team as a backup. I really don't think many people understand how much better this TC will be with so many of our starters in place before the start of TC. Just having the same coaches and same starting QB puts us a month or more ahead of where we were last year. Can't wait til the pads get on and we get to see what we really have. Should be a GREAT camp. Glad we get to see em a week earlier than most years.

15. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Most of the scouting reports on him read something like this "Armon Binns was created with the singular purpose of running down field and catching lobs over smaller defensive backs."

16. Shaman

Shaman Well-Known Member

I know the staff reportedly had nice things to say about Binns after picking him up last year, but who is Craig Ballard and how does he know the coaching staff has been overly impressed with Binns during OTA's? I don't believe I've seen this mentioned by any of the beat writers.

17. Lee2000

Lee2000 FinHeaven VIP

Barry Jackson has mentioned that Jasper Collins, the undrafted rookie from Mount Union, has impressed. Barry covers the team regularily. That impresses me more.

18. Mr. Day

Mr. Day Starter

Speak for yourself. I want to enjoy my summer first.

19. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

He caught a lot of footballs his last two years in college. One thing about a 6'3' guy (being 6'4" myself), if you are just one normal step ahead on a 5'10" corner, you are open if the pass is high enough.

On certain routes, when you have (for instance) a 6'4" QB throwing to a 6'4"WR, it is very hard for a 5'10" corner to defend against a well thrown pass.

some WRs know how to work this, they "play tall". Maybe Binns is one of them.

It is a game of inches.

20. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Is he the one that dropped some crucial catches in the Patriots game last season?

21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Getting a real strong Legedu Naanee vibe here.

22. Fins_of_Fury

Fins_of_Fury In a contract year

23. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Matthews is the guy that I think could threaten for PT. I like his toughness last year.

The undrafted kids specifically Bumphis and Collins really interest me. I think they were as good as those drafted ahead of them.

I will say this: the 3rd and 4th quarters of the first 3 preseason games will be competitive and interesting. I bet the Fins demonstrate excellent depth by showing well late in some of these "meaningless" games. Should be a fun spring.

24. xXwarXx

xXwarXx A True Fan

I don't think he makes the roster. The few times I've watched him he just looked sloppy.

25. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Well-Known Member

he looked great for the bengals too in the offseason so good that he started the season than showed his true colors ...so

26. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

Lol tannehill will overthrow him

27. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

Hopefully somebody emerges in those final few preseason games. I remember being so pumped last year waiting to see who would separate themselves from the pack and become the 4th or 5th WR on the squad and it never happened.

28. ckparrothead

That's what is so Legedu Naanee about it. Legedu Naanee was always a guy that flattered to deceive in San Diego, and he pulled the same thing in Carolina. Teams get excited about the potential in July and August, then are scratching their heads in September and October. That was how San Diego came to regard Legedu, and it's how Carolina came to regard him too. Sure enough he comes to Miami and onlookers can't stop talking about him in July and August, and I kept saying...the tape doesn't lie. Go watch the tape. Go watch every catch of his in a Carolina Panther uniform, as I did, and tell me that's an impressive player.

Now I actually liked Armon Binns' potential coming out of University of Cincinnati so right there already that's a difference. But even there, he flattered to deceive. Heading into his senior year he looked like he would turn up a lot better than he actually did. Not that he had a bad senior season by any means, it was better than his junior year production wise, he just didn't come along well in the pure skills he was showing on the field and it got him UDFA status.

What I don't like about his time with the Bengals is at one point his stock was flying so high they made him the starter, and then shortly after they put him on waivers. The first 6 games this year he played 292 of 412 snaps. That's 71%. That's a starter's workload. But they were so unimpressed with what they saw, they benched him and then cut him. He got to Miami and immediately I think he turned some heads because of his size which was like Brandon Marshall, and also because he wore the same number as Marshall. He moved pretty well. The Dolphins were impressed enough they gave him playing time. But again, flattered to deceive. He had 67 yards on 60 routes. He dropped 2 balls on only 8 catchable targets.

The good news is that Binns is only a 3rd year player right now. Legedu Naanee was a 6th year player. A guy suddenly taking what he's doing on the practice field and translating it better on Sunday would not be totally unheard of going from his 2nd year to his 3rd year, whereas it would definitely be kind of odd in a guy's 6th year.

But until he actually does it...I'm not sure there's any point getting excited about him. Too many have come before him.

29. PhinSoldia

PhinSoldia Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

if he becomes that good in the rotation of recievers that means that the Hartline price or Gibson signing might have been a waste

but a good problem to have, I hope he keeps improving

30. X-FACTOR

X-FACTOR Scout Team

I hate it, but I could not agree more. I just watched his highlights again last night. If he is on the corner it is a must that you run or throw screens in his direction.......really easy money right there. :boohoo:

Peace

31. abNORMal

abNORMal A True Fan

How about we keep him and create a new position for him....We could make him a Wide Deceiver!!!!

32. ckparrothead

Quality.

I sense we're changing the name of the J.R. Tolver Memorial Wide Receiver Training Camp MVP award to the Training Camp Wide Deceiver award. Charles Jordan, Nate Jacquet, Larry Shannon, Derrius Thompson, J.R. Tolver, Brandon London, Roberto Wallace and Legedu Naanee will have to send back their trophies to be re-engraved.

33. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Wait until the pads go on and he's played in a few preseason games. Then come back and tell me how good he s.

34. abNORMal

abNORMal A True Fan

Excellent list....There has to be a special mention category for the likes of Vince Heflin, Sam Simmons, Kirby Dar Dar, and Robert Baker!!

35. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Isn't Binns wearing #19? That seems to be the "kiss of death" for Dolphin's receivers. I wish him well though.

36. phinking

phinking A True Fan

I was thinking the same thing. We will see for ourselves how he looks in the pre-season.

37. ckparrothead

Ah, Sam Simmons, Kirby Dar Dar and Robert Baker. I forgot about them. You lost me on Vince Heflin though! Before my time!

38. SR 7

SR 7 A True Fan

HIs problem wasn't getting open or going deep last year, it was more of him looking like a girl trying to catch the ball. Had he not dropped 80% of those catches I'd have faith in him being decent.

39. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

God, I remember I was soooo fired up about Larry Shannon.

Don't forget about Brian Manning either.

40. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

First off, Legadouche nono was a starter for us. Nobody in creation is suggesting Binns will be that particularly with the group we have now. They are suggesting he will have a couple plays designed for him each game.

So, I disagree with the Naanee comparison. Way off base.

Second, this kid is way ahead of Fuller or Tyms so lets just place him as the 5th/6th guy for crying out loud.

41. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

:lol:

Perfect example of this.

42. ckparrothead

It's interesting you said this since today at OTAs with Mike Wallace out for unexplained reasons it was Armon Binns who took his place as the starter opposite Brian Hartline.

43. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Am I the only person who's a little concerned about Mike Wallace not being at OTAs?

44. uk_dolfan

He missed one day and seems to have had permission, I dont see an issue?

45. ckparrothead

Did the team say that?

Incidentally you don't need "permission" to miss OTAs. They're voluntary.

But the only word I've heard is Joe Philbin refusing to comment on it.

46. uk_dolfan

Well I meant he wasn't awol and the team was aware. I thought I read one of the beat reports say Philbin was aware of the reasons and it wasn't an issue. Could be imagining it. Either way I don't see missing one day of OTA's as an issue.

47. ckparrothead

I've not heard this.

48. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

The Binns thing strikes me as being not unlike the Roberto Wallace flirtation last year. This is an offense without many red zone threats. They don't have one at running back or wide receiver. At this point I think they're content to live without one at running back, but signing Mike Wallace didn't fix their problem at WR and I think they know that. So it wouldn't shock me to see a guy like Binns get more reps that he might otherwise should just because he has the potential to out muscle people in the end zone.

49. uk_dolfan

Read this tweet earlier

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly now
    Armon Binns just scored 2 straight touchdowns during goal line work. I'm sensing he's a big target in tight zone.

And what you said is exactly what came to mind, he could be kept around just for his size in the red zone as we still really lack that and we lost our best option in Fasano.

50. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

If Binns is kept around, it will be because he offers more than just size in the red zone.