Miami Herald: Dolphins have their eyes on Zack Martin

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Apr 26, 2014.

1. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Although the Dolphins, as one scout put it, would “fall all over themselves” if Michigan’s Taylor Lewan somehow slipped to them, multiple sources in the know firmly believe Martin is the team’s first-round target on May 8.

Sources say Miami has first-round grades on just five tackles: Martin, Lewan, Jake Matthews (Texas A&M), Greg Robinson (Auburn) and Ja’Wuan James (Tennessee).
    In their eyes, there’s a drop-off to the next level, which includes Virginia’s Morgan Moses.
    The Dolphins will not spend a first-round pick on Alabama’s Cyrus Kouandjio, whose injury red flags have the team concerned.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/04/26/4082782/miami-dolphins-have-their-eyes.html

--------
    Personally, I think that Kouandjio is one heck of a RT prospect if his knee in fact checks out, worthy of a #19 pick. Interesting tidbit about Ja'Wuan James, who to me seems a solid, efficient but unspectacular RT. Gotta give credit where credit is due, CK Parrot was the first I saw to tout James and mention that he's a better prospect than his teammate Richardson, good call.

2. futurescout

futurescout Well-Known Member

Zack Martin is the real deal........ should be there too

3. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I am not convinced he will be...I would put it at 50/50 right now.

4. PHINSfan

PHINSfan FinHeaven VIP

I also don't see him being there at 19th. And I will hate if we have to move up to get him.

5. 13Dolfan87

13Dolfan87 Scout Team Donator

Don't see him slipping past the Giants, let alone the Steelers or Ravens.

6. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I hope we don't like him as a RT. 308 is light for a RT, and it'll show in pass pro.

7. PhishyPhishy

PhishyPhishy Well-Known Member

The way I see it is this draft will go one of three ways and the dolphins are actually in a good position no matter how it shakes out at the top.

1. Only Bortles is taken in the top 18 at QB. This will cause all the lineman to get picked over early, leaving us with no good RT solution at 19. The good news in this scenario is those 3 qbs are great bait for a trade back, possibly netting us another 2nd.

2. A run on qbs in the top ten drops a ton of talent into the teens causing Martin and possibly Lewan to fall in our laps. We would need Carr to join the top 3 qbs, but it's entirely possible. Bridgewater may actually be our hardest hurdle, I'm banking on jaxs doing something stupid and taking him off the board.

3. The qbs go but the teams value linemen over the skill position early and we once again are left with none. We would have our pick of some pretty amazing talent though.

8. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I think that if anything it's an OT being too heavy that shows in pass pro, especially when they're up against fast and quick DE's/OLB's that are 50 lbs. or so lighter than they are. Martin has very food feet and slides/mirrors well, he's just a good football player.

9. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

In the news, Miami really like Taylor Lewan and Zack Martin. In other news, water is wet.

10. j-off-her-doll

It's not all about speed and quickness in pass pro. If you can't anchor or have to overcompensate to anchor, you're in trouble. 308 isn't impossible, but it's not ideal. Fluker did a very good job at RT, and people questioned his quickness. Meanwhile, the much more athletic Eric Fisher had very real struggles. Fisher weighed in at 306, and Fluker weighed in at 339. Joeckel also struggled (306). Even Lane Johnson (303) struggled early, but he's a guy with elite athleticism. Almost all of the top RT's in the NFL are 320+.

11. Dolphin39

Dolphin39 Pro Bowler

That is sooooo true and funny!

12. futurescout

They won't take him as a RT. At least not long term. Depending on what they do they could play him there for a year. But long term they have to be thinking guard. Like you mentioned.. 308 and short arms.. he's gonna struggle to anchor. Even tho he does a great job keeping his hands inside, and his hands are very strong.

13. j-off-her-doll

If Miami likes him as an All Pro LG like you do, I can understand it at 19. I'm not there on him, and I won't be before the draft. That said, it makes a lot more sense to me than hoping he can play RT. He is very slick moving to the 2nd level.

14. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I was going to preface the article with a comment about how obvious the title was, knowing that at least one poster would have to comment on it, couldn't resist themselves. Sure enough...

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Short term right tackle unless they find something that surprises them in the draft to handle it more suited as a right tackle only long term left guard...but provides the position versatility that this unit desperately needs...

I'm not worried about his strength at tackle he turns people with leverage and strength in the run game as much as any tackle not named Greg Robinson yeah he's a little light but his technique is so good and he has plus Feet where I think he can make up for being a little light...plus I think he can play at 315 over the long term...

Clean as a whistle off the field 52 collegiate starts locker room leader and high character...exactly what Miami is looking for durability high character leadership

What team can't use a Logan mankins like player with more core and functional strength coming out

16. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I don't buy this at all. He's 6-4.5, 308 lbs and his arms are all of one inch shorter than the 6-7 Taylor Lewan. Martin anchors very well, well enough to be a top OG candidate, and has some very good feet, quickness and reflexes. His value imo is more as a RT who can play LT if Albert goes down, and then as a guy who can play as an excellent OG depending on how the draft goes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  17. futurescout

What's your grade on him? What don't you like with a projection at guard, besides lack of snaps there?

18. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

Miami likes everybody apparently tell the press

19. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

The dolphins have their eyes on Martin? So do another 8 teams that are drafting ahead of us. He'll be gone imo.

20. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Martin will be okay at RT and outstanding at OG.

21. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

I really like Martin's versatility. I think he can play both guard and RT, but I'm curious to hear how others think he stacks up against Su'a-Filo purely as a guard. I don't think that Martin spends his whole career at RT. Even if he starts out at T, I think he eventually kicks inside, so I think when looking at him it's best to measure him against the next best guard prospect which is Su'a-Filo hands down. Thoughts on the comparing the two?

22. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

I read where Zack Martin has top position flexibility and while a good tackle, he would make a top Guard and that will likely be where he ends up playing in the NFL. Su'a-Filo is also best suited to a Guard role. Frankly I'm happy with either. Both sound like they are beyond reproach, excellent character guys in the locker room and have good work ethics. It sounds like Martin is a little more powerful than XSF and has better knee bend, but Xavier has top class lateral movement and is a more naturally athletic. The mock drafts now seem to consistently rate Zack a little higher than XSF, but I wouldn't trade up to get him. It sounds like there is decent depth of good O-line prospects but many teams have needs and so they could go faster than expected.

23. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Zach can start at any OL position LT, LG, C, RG, RT. I take him.

24. Phinsfan93

Phinsfan93 A True Fan

FIFY

He hasn't shown that he can play at every position, its just speculation. In his 52 starts he has only played LT(50) and RT(2).

25. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Hey, thank you very much for taking the time to post the article. We all really appreciate it.

26. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Look at Martins base versus Eric Fisher, who's 6-7 306. Martin has kind of a squarish build to him, but also the quick feet, hands and reflexes that you want in an OT. I don't see his size at 6-4.5 308 lbs as an issue at all- powerful enough to play OG, quick and athletic enough imo to play LT. My concern is who is a better value at #19, all things considered- Martin or Brandin Cooks? I don' know, but given how bad the OL was last year I'm leaning towards Martin.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

No problem.

27. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I am really starting to doubt Martin makes it to 19....That is why I go with Brandin Cooks and fix the O-line in rounds 2 & 3.