Miami is $7.1 Million Under the Cap Right Now | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami is $7.1 Million Under the Cap Right Now

Just let it rollover to the offseason. No point spending anymore, we are what we are, and we'll need an offseason to add more.

And if it was a dollar or $20M, it would mean nothing.

Just let it rollover to the offseason. No point spending anymore, we are what we are, and we'll need an offseason to add more.

I'm not a salary cap expert, but how does that work? I was under the impression that they changed the rules for that recently to allow a limited amount to carry over?

Due to expiring contracts, we will have over $50M to spend, without any carry over. The question is not money but, what we will do with it.

I'm no cap expert but it seems every year were around the same amount but really have very little talent to show for it while somebody like the Eagles has over 20 mill in space. Is this because we have so much dead cap space or what? Is it going to get to a point where we will have to gut almost any high dollar contract and start from scratch? I remember a few years ago the 49ers were in cap hell and they gutted the thing and now seems to be on the right track. I keep reading that were going to have a lot of cap space next year but we also have people like Bush, Sean Smith, Starks, Hartline and Jake Long to re-sign which will eat into a lot of that extra money. Maybe I'm wrong but I think all these misses in FA and even draft has hurt our Cap situation because of all of the dead money we carry over year after year. Anybody with knowledge that wants to chime in would be great.

Due to expiring contracts, we will have over $50M to spend, without any carry over. The question is not money but, what we will do with it.

This is true, 13 mil will go to Jake. Reggie Bush is another contract that will need to be looked at. I dont know who the others are, maybe Fasano?

My prediction is dont expect huge FA spending. I could see us get Jennings and not much else and everything will be draft and keeping good character hard workiing types who get the offense and defense set ups.

I'm no cap expert but it seems every year were around the same amount but really have very little talent to show for it while somebody like the Eagles has over 20 mill in space. Is this because we have so much dead cap space or what? Is it going to get to a point where we will have to gut almost any high dollar contract and start from scratch? I remember a few years ago the 49ers were in cap hell and they gutted the thing and now seems to be on the right track. I keep reading that were going to have a lot of cap space next year but we also have people like Bush, Sean Smith, Starks, Hartline and Jake Long to re-sign which will eat into a lot of that extra money. Maybe I'm wrong but I think all these misses in FA and even draft has hurt our Cap situation because of all of the dead money we carry over year after year. Anybody with knowledge that wants to chime in would be great.

http://nyjetscap.com/Dolphins/dolphins2013.php

I HATE to post a Jets site but, it is the best I've found on our cap. As you will see, dead money is not a real big issue. Other than Danby, who'se salary goes down by $3M next year, there are no high priced players who are nor FA next year. We do not have many cheap rookie deals, which does really hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is true, 13 mil will go to Jake. Reggie Bush is another contract that will need to be looked at. I dont know who the others are, maybe Fasano?

My prediction is dont expect huge FA spending. I could see us get Jennings and not much else and everything will be draft and keeping good character hard workiing types who get the offense and defense set ups.

Jake may or may not be back. Bush, Hartline, Starks, Smith, Moore, Fasano are others.

I'm not a salary cap expert, but how does that work? I was under the impression that they changed the rules for that recently to allow a limited amount to carry over?

The unused cap space can be carried over for 2013. Next year, the 90% cap floor kicks in, meaning that all teams will have to spend.

i noticed this thread was moved, and I wonder why. The Phins cap is a very important part of the team, as shown by the Herald, Sun, PB Post, and even the Miami Dolphins web site. I don't understand why not here, especially over a number of others.

i noticed this thread was moved, and I wonder why. The Phins cap is a very important part of the team, as shown by the Herald, Sun, PB Post, and even the Miami Dolphins web site. I don't understand why not here, especially over a number of others.

The Salary Cap is important which is also why is has its own dedicated forum just like the draft.

just having a quick glance at the posts we are roughly $7m under give or take , is there any option to resign say a fasano or hartline this year rather than next year ?
would that help anything? or do we wait till next year ,i am sure i heard we were in the 1st stages of contract talks with hartline a while back
would that be for now or next year?

any info would be helpful!

just having a quick glance at the posts we are roughly $7m under give or take , is there any option to resign say a fasano or hartline this year rather than next year ?
would that help anything? or do we wait till next year ,i am sure i heard we were in the 1st stages of contract talks with hartline a while back
would that be for now or next year?

any info would be helpful!
That whole thing was misinterpreted which is not shocking around here. What Drew Rosenhaus actually said when asked by Joe Rose about Hartline getting re-signed was that he doesn't discuss contracts in public but that he's in constant contact with Ireland. They talk about once or twice a week and they discuss all of his players (of which he represents 10 players on the Dolphins) and that they've discussed Hartline...nothing was ever said about a new contract or if they were in negotiations. It's another case of Dolphin fans, once again, having selective hearing and trying to make 2 + 2 = 10.

As for Fasano and Hartline I think it would be fairly easy to give them both extensions. In other words taking on a few more years and money that doesn't effect this years salary so that we can still rollover the remaining money we have under the cap but, as I've mentioned before, I don't think Ireland will do it mid-season because last time he did it was with Greg Camarillo and Camarillo got injured two games later and was lost for the season and he never came back to form and you know he got cut so Ireland got burned a little. I think he still remembers that and feels a little snake bit by it. I would say after week 10 or 12 he'll start negotiating in earnest on a lot of these guys. Fasano, Hartline, Starks and Bush (if he decides to keep him) should be fairly easy. Smith and Long I think are going to be difficult.

Back
Top Bottom