Miami ranks worst

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phinatic, Aug 25, 2008.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. Phinatic

Phinatic Starter

2. feelthepain

feelthepain A True Fan

Ya know whats so funny about that list they make it seem like Miami isn't a place you'd want to be a fan, when the last place I'd want to be a fan is a small market in the north or midwest where they roll up the curbs at eight o'clock and it snows 6 months out of the year. Also some of the teams not even on the list have not won anything the the modern era, but we are the worst...too funny. Besides who care, we are the winnigest franchise in the histiry of the NFL, I'll take that 10 out of 10 times.

3. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 A True Fan

I've seen the Marlins and Heat win Championships within recent memory so i'd rather be a sports fan here than somewhere like Philadelphia where they haven't won anything since 1983.

4. TurkishFin99

TurkishFin99 Well-Known Member

They put New York up there at 4th. Isn't New York a state? I would have to say that the worst place to be a sports fan is Buffalo... When is the last time they won anything?

5. DaBills4life

DaBills4life Starter

Your location says S.Jersey. Is that South Jersey? Why do you bash the North East?

6. HybridPHIN 23

HybridPHIN 23 the N E W Dolphilbins

miami is truely the most isolated city in the US.... Teams like the Bears and Packers claim much of the mid-west.... theres loads of teams around the eastern coast line
    to choose from... but the bucs and jags closed the borders on us and Miami is now SOUTH Florida's team..... good thing theres as much or more dolphins fans out of state.

7. DaBills4life

DaBills4life Starter

We are the Walmart of sports. You guys pay hundred's of $$$, we pay 1/3 of what you pay and get to see the same show.

Many owners in the NHL and NFL have issues with Ralph Wilson and Tom Golisano because of that, they think we are taking advantage of revenue sharing.

The Sabres and Bills are the only big show Buffalo has, I do think our owners could charge a lot more.

If your a sports fan, love tailgating, and food, Buffalo is one of the best places to be. If you want sunny weather more than 6 months a year and attractions, then Buffalo isnt for you.

8. Chi-Town FinFan

Chi-Town FinFan Starter

To play Devil's advocate, I can kind of see their point... Dolphin Stadium is kind of out of the way... and Miami is a miserable place to watch a baseball game during the summer.

But as far as winning goes, both the Marlins and Heat have won in recent years and the Fins have the highest winning % in the history of the NFL... So they can't base their argument on that.

9. Lorenzo Rules

Lorenzo Rules A True Fan

it sure seeems like the media has a axe to grind with south florida teams what is embarassing is the fact that dallas fan put up a sign in dolphins stadium and no dolphins had the guts to confont him , I know , because i saw it on tv. i think maimi fans dont want to put much effort into the teams or something else is wrong.
    i think something needs to change because the media keeps treating the marlins as a non team and they treat heat and dolphin fans like crap. i think dolphin stadium looks like dump on tv if i was the owner i would give the huricanes that stadium and build the dolphins a smaller stadium .

10. feelthepain

feelthepain A True Fan

Why? Cause I've lived as far north as upstate NY and as far south as the Clearwater on the West Coast of Florida and while I find great things about every place I've lived, If I had the choice to live near 6' of snow or looking out a window and seeing my boat ready to go for a quick evening cruise out on Tampa Bay, I think the decision is an easy one...JMO.

But this isn't just about location, take your Bills for example, whens the last time your teams saw a Championship of any kind, whens the last time you Bills had a winning season? Now add that to 6 months of snow and it just doesn't get any worse then living in the frigid cold and never seeing your favorite team win anything. Pretty simple conclusion.

I know they include cost of tickets and avg income. per capita, But you also need to understand one place is in paradise and the other is not. If you actually look at the population for both places and then add how many tickets are actually avalible. If they sold out every game in both places the population far out numbers avalible seats, so only a few get to see the games live and that shouldn't be a determination of where it's great to be a fan. It's simply a stupid statistic.

11. DaBills4life

DaBills4life Starter

Ahh, you have a very different definition of being a fan then I do.

A Buffalo Bills and a Buffalo Sabres game day experience is not only friendly to the wallet, but one of the greatest experiences in sports.

12. Deep2Evans

Deep2Evans LETS GO BUFFALO!

I noticed that you keep saying 6 months of snow and frigid temps. It only really snows here in December, January and February. We'll get random dustings in March but not much. It really doesn't snow as much as people think here, we hardly got any last winter. I think you're extremely over playing that point.

Also, I'm just curious as to if you were even alive, the last time the Dolphins won the superbowl, some 35 years ago?

13. MinnesotaFin

MinnesotaFin Down since 1988

Nothin wrong with snow 6 months outta the year! Just makes the other months even better and milder temps. Plus I'd take snowboarding on snow over skiing on water any day

14. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

15. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

how did Atlanta pass us?? That city is dreadfull when it comes to sports

16. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

How old were you the last time Buffalo won the Super Bowl?

Wait.....

:d-day:

17. Ross

Ross Trouble Shooter

Our first game against the jets will seem like a home game to the jets because their fans will out number our own. How screwed up is that?

18. feelthepain

feelthepain A True Fan

I don't think so, your choice as a fan is watch the football game or shovel the snow in the diveway. Given a choice I'd rather watch paint dry then shovel snow out of the driveway. Bill fans have a simple choice to make. Even when the Bills suck, which is 99% of their history, getting drunk and writting your name in the snow with the beer you jsut drank is the highlight of your week. If you want to believe that's loyalty that's up to you, but it's really just a lack of choices. It's really very simple.

19. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

the Bills had a couple down years a few years back, they were having games blacked out locally up there for the first time in ages. those fans stayed home when they hit rock bottom.

if they ever had a 1-15 like we did.......nobody would have gone to games in Buffalo.

20. feelthepain

feelthepain A True Fan

Well I lived in the souther tier of upstate NY for nearly 10 years and it was cold from the middle of October, till the middle of May. Considering Buffalo is closer to Canada then I was, I'm 100% positive you're exaggerating the length of cold you go through and snow you get. And when you copmare that to maybe Three days a year when the you might need a sweater and a pair of shorts in Florida, I think there's just a tiny bit of defference in the two places.

Yep sure was, sorry to disappoint you. But also remember this in the length of time the two teams have been in the league, Buffalo has maybe 5 years their fans can truly reflect on with joy....5!!!! Miami fans have so many more then 5. We have SB wins, we have an undefeated season, we have the winningest HC to ever coach in the NFL we have the best QB to ever throw a pass (my opinion), we have one of the winningest franchises in the entire NFL. We have year after year of successful memories.

21. Phinsfan210

Phinsfan210 F-I-N-S FINS FINS FINS

Who cares? Its one guys opinion.

22. DaBills4life

DaBills4life Starter

The highlight of my week? What is with the insults?

This is a very ignorant post. If you don't know anything about going to a Bills or Sabres game, then don't talk about it.

I like how you always have to take shots at Bills fans or our team.

You should be better than this, especially as a moderator of the site.

And also, if you are smart enough, you pay a plow to do the driveway, which is what I do.

I also don't drink.

If you would like to get to know me before insulting me, we can talk whenever you want.

23. MichaelBusiness

MichaelBusiness Scout Team

chill...

as for the Dallas sign, it happens. JT took it off, so it got removed. I would have preferred it to be a fan too.

This topic is retarded. Miami is a cool town regardless. Miami people do not jock sports as much as people in the north. But, it does not mean we aren't passionate.

I think the writer of the article is coming from a perspective, that Miami does not draw large attendances. But they do have large attendances for Dolphins, Canes and Heat games (Except for last year's horrid season. But we were giving away games at the end so we can get a better lottery pick, a downfall of NBA). The writer is probably insecure of his city. Miami is a fresh town, and sports are good.

We are not a city only known for sports such as Green Bay, Wisconsin, or Buffalo. And seriously would you rather live in Green Bay Wisconsin, Buffalo or Miami? It's a no brainer.

I used to live in Cincinnati, and the people there love their Bengals. According to the author, I would suppose it is a great sports town. But in reality, when the team sucks the city gives up on them real quick. Yeah, sure they are still die hard fans, but they become pessimistic, cynical fans, like any other city.

Miami has won championships, its a great city, and has passionate fans. We are just not the slap-happy, idealist fans that think the organization is invincible ( except on Finheaven :woot:GO FINS~)

24. ih8brady

ih8brady 2008 AFC East Champions

Currently in and spending most of my life, through three decades, in Buffalo....I agree completely! I personally prefer tropical weather to tundra, but that opinion aside, how could one prefer the entertainment or leisure options of a small market to an international metropolis? That's like saying there's more fun to be had in Jasper than NYC or Paris.

25. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

Read the article guys, it's based on last year and the Miami teams srtunk last year. Read the blurb on Miami and you'll see why.

26. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

Joe Robbie is a beautiful Stadium for football.

27. feelthepain

feelthepain A True Fan

It's not an insult at all, it's simply implying there is nothing to do in Buffalo....for the most part. Bill fans act like they are more loyal, not that the Bills are all they have. Bulffalo NY isn't a tour destination, no sunny beaches no Celebs, no Disney world, and when it starts to get cold, there's even less to do in Buffalo.

I'm simply saying because you have less to do your choices become limited. If your team is having a bad year and it's December, you can either shovel snow, read a book or watch the Bills and hope they win. Not much fun, but of the three options I'll take the Bills game. You seem to think That makes you a more loyal fan....I strongly disagree.

BTW, simply because I'm a Mod doesn't mean I have to be wonderful to rival fans who have no problem telling us they are more loyal, have better fans and have a better team. Just because I say things you don't like is not a bad thing. You can't come to this site then tell us your more loyal fans, that's a frikin joke. Then when I come back with reason why I don't believe your better fans you get all defensive and act like my loyalty comes with restrictions cause I'm a mod. Right now, I'm a fan and when you question or try to undermine my fanhood I'll defend it.

28. finboss

finboss Starter

And I'm just curious as to why you spend your time posting on a Miami Dolphins website. Who the ^%^% cares about the crappy weather in Buffalo? Anybody who is a big enough masochist to live in that place must truly enjoy misery and pain.

29. DrunkenFan

DrunkenFan Starter

The majority of fans in South Florida are uneducated, fair-weather phonies who would just as soon watch every professional team leave the state.

The Marlins have been the most successful sports franchise out of all of them in the past decade or so and they had to basically pull teeth to get a new stadium deal.

Chalk it up to South Florida being a complete sess pool.

30. hardhitn

hardhitn Play Hard

What's so special about a Sabres game lol....

31. SpaceMountain16

SpaceMountain16 Disgruntled Donator

Not that i know much about the Miami sports scene. But when you talk about miserable, how about mentioning Philadelphia. A city that hasn't scored a pro sports championship since 1983 and not even a meaningful collegiate one since the 1985 Wildcats. Thats 25 years of unsuccessful seasons from all four teams in this city. Yet most years, at least nowadays, the teams are contenders. So what we have is just complete failure. Underachieving, whatever. I love this city and going to games here, but it sucks being the perennial brides maid.

32. DaBills4life

DaBills4life Starter

Fans that couldn't get tickets. The NHL has seen nothing like this, 10,000 fans outside watching a game.

[​IMG]

33. SpaceMountain16

The Red Mile......

34. DaBills4life

DaBills4life Starter

Why are you talking about beaches? We are talking going to a sporting event. Obviously Miami is a great spot, which is why there are so many orange seats empty on game day.

35. DaBills4life

DaBills4life Starter

Yes thats true. Calgary did do it first. We copied them, but it's still a great scene.

36. SpaceMountain16

Well he has a point, not only is Miami much more entertainment friendly than Buffalo, leading people to regard sports as "less of a deal" when there is so much else to do like hit those beaches. But there are probably a lot of people in Miami who are just transplants from the north. Who have no vested interest in the Dolphins but are in Miami because it's a great place to live/grow old in. Passion for sports always seems to me to be bigger in Northern cities where it's kind of all we have. Especially in the winter months.

37. feelthepain

feelthepain A True Fan

I'm talking about beaches beacuse there are other things to do in Miami then watch the Dolphins, unlike Buffalo where all there is to do is watch the Bills. You seem think being a fan means the few people who actually attend games in every state makes up the the whole of being a fan. I've never been to a Dolphins game live, but you won't find a more diehard supportive fan then me.

This whole survey was ignorant and proves nothing about being a fan. The survey isolates and makes it seem as though every state has equal things to offer the fans outside their team, that's simply not the case. It is in no way the same from state to state. So this survey is rather dumb and pointless. Buffalo has no pro Basketball team, no pro baseball team. They have Hockey and football, that's it. It's a lot easier for the masses to support the football team when there's little else to support. I can't make it any simpler then that.

38. Deep2Evans

LOL...Says the guy in Oklahoma....haha.

39. Deep2Evans

LOL, I don't know where you lived, but in no way is it ever cold here in May. The high school baseball teams start April 1st, and the weather is perfectly fine for baseball here then. No it's not 85, but 60s and 70s are just right.

It doesn't get cold enough to snow until December either. Thats why the ski resorts don't even open until December. Being closer to Canada really doesn't have much to do with cold. Southern Ontario and Buffalo have the same climate.

Also, theres much more to do in the winter than you say, besides Bills, Sabres and "reading a book" after "shoveling our driveways". Who still shovels?

We have 2 ski resorts, one is in the top 3 in the East Coast, for skiing, lodging and snowboarding. Also snowmobiling is a huge hit, though we haven't had alot of snow in recent winters. Also, there are tons of ice hockey leagues and many indoor leagues for various sports that start up in the winter, plus Sabres season starts along with the pro indoor lacrosse team, the Bandits.

40. Deep2Evans

Wow. For as much crap as you talk, thats honestly disgustingly pathetic.

41. ih8brady

ih8brady 2008 AFC East Champions

You're either disingenuous or not from Buffalo. The majority of Buffalo's high yearly snowfall comes early, usually late fall or at latest very early winter. It's called the Lake Effect. Blizzards occur roughly once ever year and a half. Do you remember 2000? Didn't happen in December or winter, it happened in the fall.

And the outlying towns always get hit the worst with severe weather and they just happen to be where most Bills fans are from....:rolleyes2: There's a difference between Buffalo and all of WNY, so don't muddy the waters/

42. feelthepain

feelthepain A True Fan

In what way? I don't think there's a rule stating you can't support your team if you don't go to the games. I still buy all the merchandise, I still belong to a fan site. I'm not sure how going to the games actully changes your statis as a fan and gives you more rights to speack of your team.

43. Deep2Evans

Um, I live in the Southern Tier of WNY, ski country. We get the most snow, yes we get lake effect, but not until December. The first snowfall in WNY last year was in December and it was a dusting. Blizzards occur every year? The only real blizzards anyone knows or talks about happened in 1977, and 2000. Other than that, there have just been good size snow storms. Blizzards are mostly caused by high winds anyway, mixed with some snowfall.

The time where we get the most snow is late December, January and February.

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/snowfall.html

44. Deep2Evans

You'd think for the superfan you claim to be, for over the 35 years you've been a fan, you could actually go to, I don't know, one game maybe? What's your excuse? Though I can understand why you wouldn't want to go to a game last year...

45. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 A True Fan

How exactly does someone "can why"? :D Anyway, he's not from here so he gets a pass.

46. feelthepain

feelthepain A True Fan

Tha majority of football fans are not fit and athletic, they're fat beer dinking wing eating wannabe football players. That's not a shot at Bill fans it's the majority of all football fans. Couch potato's, through and through.

It's much easier for a 300 lb guy to put on a speedo and strut down the beach offending the youth of America then it is to put on 40lbs of clothes and spend a small fortune on lift tickets and accessories to slide down a mountain at 30 mph and hitting a tree.

Basically if you asked the majority of football fans what they'd rather do on a Sunday afternoon if their team is 4-8 and playing the defending SB champs in their house, I'm 100% confident the Beach will beat the ski resort, 90% of the time.

Are the fans disloyal for choosing the beach over a guaranteed loss? Not at all. But the survey would lead one to believe they are. It's a dumb survey and it's unrealistic and very specific in nature.

47. Phishpunk@WCU

Phishpunk@WCU King of Fools Finheaven VIP Donator

Can't disagree with the article. I think it was 2000 when the Dolphins played the Colts in the Wildcard Game and the game was blacked out because they didn't have a sell out. Miami fans are too fickle. I'm a huge Dolphin fan, but live in Charlotte. If I were in Miami I would be at every Miami Dolphins game rain or shine.

48. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

Living In Toronto, my first football experience was in Buffalo, although the city of Buffalo pales in comaprison to the nightlife of Toronto, the football experience was excellent. I've seen the Phins play in about 7 different stadiums, and I would say that easily that both Miami and Buffalo have very good tailgaiting experiences. They are completely different. Miami's warm tropical weather, to Buffalo's last season wintery weather. They are almost impossible to compare. I've been to Buffalo games in december but have been fortunate not to have goten caught up in any snowstorms. They were actually kinda nice. Not too cold.. not too hot.. perfect football weather for us nothern folks (In Canada we play our championship game in -10 degree weather in need be with a 2 feet of snow.)

Miami was one of the best for obvious reasons... the Home of our beloved Phins. But I would rank Buffalo right after as far as atmostphere, and good ole crazy fun. They are just different.

49. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 A True Fan

The article is about worst place to be a fan, not worst fans. It's retarded.

50. phinfan3411

phinfan3411 pofo mofo

I have been a Phin fan trapped outside of Buffalo most of my life. Going to a Bills game is an experience????

You cannot bs me, I have been to plenty, the majority of Bills fans are drunk hours before kickoff, and then do there best to annoy Miami fans good enough to buy tickets in their ****ty stadium. I hear many stories of people that will never go back there, not exactly a family atmosphere. After one too many run ins with Bills fans probably much like the ones that insist on posting on a Miami website (I could not even tell you if Buffalo even has a website) I refuse to buy any more tickets, and put any money into the Bills pockets.

There is a reason the Bills have the lowest ticket prices in the league, because that is the only way they can sell them. When the Bills do finally move away, make sure all you great "fans" remember how you treated visiting fans, that bought tickets to see their favorite team play, not to get into some yelling match with 20 drunk Buffalo idiots.

Off rant