Miami's 1st 5 picks.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolph N.Fan, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Obviously the spotlight is what Miami will do with its 5 picks within the 1st 3 rds as they will most likely decide the direction of Miami's future. Miami's 1st rd pick is worth 1,200 pts with the #1 pick being worth 3,000 pts, in case anyone was interested. I also heard that Detroit is looking to trade back from #5. If Miami is really high on Dee Milliner they could look at trading with them. Assuming the Eagles don't take Milliner at #4. It would probably take a 1st rd swap and to give up their own 2nd to pull it off which I personally think would be too much. Anyways assuming Miami doesn't trade any of their 1st 5 picks what positions do you want those 5 picks used on?

I want 2 of the picks used for WRs, 2 for CBs and one for either TE/DE but I don't want Miami to draft a WR in rd 1.

2. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

I think we need to see what happens in FA first.

3. Buff

Buff From a galaxy far far away.... Finheaven VIP Donator

As of right now, if we chose a rushing DE or CB with the 1st, I would be happy. If we got Patterson (without getting Wallace in FA) then I would be happy. we need a play maker at each of those three spots, and there is no reason why we cant fill each spot in the draft & FA.

4. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

There's legit top teir players available in at least 3-5 positions of need for us available in the first round. Depending on how the draft goes, we should be able to seriously upgrade at either WR, CB, DE, OT or TE. I know it's unlikely to use our early pick on a TE, but if we traded back for some reason, it could be an option. Having flexibility versus just having to get the best of what's left at position X, puts us in a great spot. While not a huge fan of trading back, you have to consider what teams are willing to give up as an option. So we should be sitting just fine.

5. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I like Milliner and if he's there at #12 that seems like a no-brainer. But, I think he will go somewhere in the top 7. I'd rather trade down and get someone like Trufant and maybe an additional #2 to do some serious damage. All depends on who is there at #12.

6. Mr Poste

Mr Poste Sur XIII

Lots of talent at DE this year hard to pass up.

7. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

What i want? Defensive end or wide receiver.

What i expect? Eric Fisher or Chance Warmack.

8. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I don't get why anyone, including us, would trade up in this year's draft....there is no must have superstar in this year's draft....specially at QB. Mike Mayock said that position #25 may be as good as a player at #5. I think we probably need to draft two WR's, a CB, a TE, and an OL with our first five picks...but it depends who is still on the board.

9. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

i would love to bring in a DE in FA resign Clemmons and perhaps Hartline if he takes 4-5 mill.then trade back in the first pick up our WR or TE first then CB n CB OL WR.we might get a late 2nd or mid 3rd if we trade back in the 1st.then i would build with the draft .these players want to much $$$$ and it would not be smart to put us back into cap hell allin one season

10. allsilverdreams

lets do things right this offseason .dont throw $$$$ out the window for players that over price their worth

11. BringBackDan13

BringBackDan13 Well-Known Member

If Milliner's there at 12, we can't turn him down. There are a lot of DEs as well that i think would also be an option. The WR situation completely depends what happens with regards to Wallace, Jennings, Bowe and if we keep Hartline or not. I'd resign Clemons and, for the money Smith's asking for there's probably one or two better corners in free agency that'll cost us a similar amount.

12. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

would EASILY give up #12 and one of the 2nd rounders for Milliner but if that doesn't work out I would draft Ansah. Shariff Floyd from UF could be another good choice if we fail to bring back Starks.

13. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

whatever position. I just hope they hit on their picks. Please God... for once.

14. SWS84

SWS84 A True Fan

I wouldn't mind a DE or WR either (especially Patterson), but at this point, from what I know, I wouldn't be too upset if we took Warmack providing Patterson is gone.

15. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

You know its funny, they say this every year almost, and yet superstars seem to come out of every draft. Its about picking the right player, not the particular draft nor your draft position.

16. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

If thats what you are expecting then I would do cartwheels. fisher is a beast and would lock down any OL questions that would linger. How can anyone have a problem with that boggles the mind. You see, its about building a championship team. and yes, you can get a good WR or two in this draft no problem. Which makes me shake my head on this even more.

17. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

To me, the gap between Milliner and Rhodes isn't significant. If you think you need a top-flight CB in Round 1, stay put, and draft Rhodes. Too much depth in the draft to be trading up for a guy who most years would not be a Top 10 pick.

18. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8954762/nfl-combine-watch-for

Cant keep using playmaker picks on offensive lineman. Would Warmack be a good player? Sure. Could we get similar production later in the draft? Yup. Do interior lineman ever break a game open to win it? Nope. Same exact discussion myself and others had 2 years ago after the Pouncey selection.

19. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

agreed.

all bets are off though if we trade down. we go tyler eifert! evil laugh.

20. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Yes, the Jake Long and Vernon Carey selections did alot of good for us. You know, the last times we locked down the OL questions.

21. allsilverdreams

Ireland should be tared and feathered if he goes OL in the first

22. SWS84

SWS84 A True Fan

I see your point and agree with it as long as there is a playmaker to be had at #12. If not, I see the other side of the coin, too.

On a different note: What is your philosophy on building a team? Do you think we should build the team from the inside out, or outside in? Until recently, I thought the way to build a team was from the inside, out. Then I heard Jimmy Cefalo say on a recent finsider podcast that the way to build a team was from the outside, in. I can see his point. Maybe we should be only looking at WR, CB, DE, TE, or OLB with our #1 pick. Thoughts?

23. Mr Poste

Mr Poste Sur XIII

Whatever happens, I can't remember the last time I was so excited for FA and draft. I mean I always look forward to them but this year, the way we have positioned ourselves should make every Dolfan giddy! You have to admit, if Ireland nails this, I say "if", then we could be around the corner from having a team to be feared for who knows how many years. Nay Sayers will say Ireland will blow this opportunity but what if....

24. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

If the Lions were serious, I'd definitely give up a third and maybe other picks. Possibly a second.

I'd love to grab Milliner.

25. Scotty P

Scotty P Well-Known Member Donator

I dont think we need to trade up at all. This draft is stacked with WR's, DE's and a handful of corners. We should sit tight, or even trade down to get more picks. The draft is a numbers game......some pan out, some dont. The more picks we have in early rounds, the better chance we have to really build.

26. PHAZINPHINZPHAN

PHAZINPHINZPHAN Seasoned Veteran

Yes please. unlease we grab a WR in free agency then I only want one receiver in the 1st five picks.

27. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

I believe you have to do 3 things to win consistently in the NFL. 1) Find a franchise quarterback. 2) Protect your franchise quarterback. 3) Hit the other teams franchise quarterback.

When building a team, first thing is quarterback. After that, im open for the best player available so long as it makes sense. The "makes sense" thing is key. If there is a pass rusher and offensive lineman both having roughly the same level of talent, then you go pass rusher. Why? Because they are harder to find than competent offensive lineman. That said, its all situational. Recall the Steelers last year. They felt they had a team capable of winning the Superbowl with just a few positions needed of shoring up. David Decastro, who was one of the most talented players in the draft, fell all the way to the mid-20's. There was no way they could have known that talented of a player was going to drop, so they grabbed him. While they did need offensive lineman, even if they hadnt that pick would have made alot of sense based on the talent.

Rules change, schemes adjust, philosophies shift fluidly in this league. But the one thing that floats to the top is talent. Teams that draft for need(like Miami) usually fail. While teams that, after acquiring a QB, draft for talent can be counted on making the playoffs yearly. Teams that adjust their playbook to fit the talent they have usually succeed, while teams that rebuild the roster every coaching change usually cant recover fast enough before the next coaching change.
    We have the quarterback, now we need to draft the talent...so long as it makes sense. And after spending the 1st overall pick, the 15th overall pick, a second round pick, a third round pick, a 4th round pick, 2 giant contracts, and given a 3rd player a giant contract extension(Vernon Carey was resigned by this regime even if they didnt pick him), drafting an offensive lineman doesnt make sense. If there was absolutely no one near the talent of Warmack/Fisher, then id consider it. But that really shouldnt be a problem with a pick as high as 12th overall.

28. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

Wr at 12 would be great for the dolphins assuming it's Patterson, Dee Miliner isn't as good as Jonathan Banks so why so High on him?

29. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

first of all let's not redo the whole team, if they get Wallace then the dolphins probably won't select a Wr in the 1st. Dee Miliner will be gone by #12 I hope, DE is a posistion of need on this team to help wake out or replace wake in 3 years. Steadman Baily should be there in the second round but they might have to package some picks to change draft posistion to get him.

30. Buff

Buff From a galaxy far far away.... Finheaven VIP Donator

I personally wouldn't want an o lineman in the 1st, but wouldn't be shocked if it happened. If long leaves then ol is a position of importance again, and Warmack (sp) is a big chance.

today, if we drafted it would have to be DE/CB/WR in the 1st
    same in 2nd round. then the 2nd 2nd pick Barrett jones from bama,
    then 3rd would be what ever position we didn't get in the 1 & 2 picks, and either a TE or ilb

31. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Kenny Vaccaro, Robert Woods, Tavon Austin, Larry Warford and Marcus Lattimore.

32. Digital

Digital Starter

Hey, if one of the true pass rushers falls to us, then go for it, because it will be well worth it and is a position of need, despite our manufactured sack numbers last year. But, there are no other defensive players worthy of the #12 pick in my eyes. No CB's, S's, ILB's, none that make enough of a game-changing impact for that high of a selection. There actually are quite a few DT's that fit the bill, but that is a position of strength for us and I'd hate to waste our top pick on a position of virtually no need.

On the other hand, our offense lacks a lot of talent. One major reason why our defense has a lot more salary cap cost than our offense is that our offense is incomplete. Our only high dollar area is the OL, which was and is unsettled. If we don't resign Long, we'll have to hope one of Fisher or Johnson is still available at 12 (Joeckel will definitely be gone). Otherwise, I think we look to trade back or take a WR. I'd go pass rusher or Patterson at 12, but I don't see Jarvis Jones, Damontre Moore or Bjorn Werner falling to us, so it would come down to how we project one of the boom-or-bust prospects like Mingo, Montgomery, Jordan, etc.

Personally, Patterson fits the bill. Philbin & Co. were hired to build a great offense--period. This is the year to surround Tannehill with talent and start showing signs of something special on the offensive side of the ball. Philbin knows it, Sherman knows it, and Ireland knows it. Ross expects it. So, I see us adding 1 FA WR (Greg Jennings?) and 2 draftee WR's with high picks.

I say look to see if a top CB falls into round 2 (Xavier Rhodes?), otherwise pick a CB with 2b or one of the 3rd rounders. Pick up a DE/OLB guy if one falls into where it makes sense, but no need to reach for one just yet. Pick up a guy like Justin Pugh G/T in round 3 or Brian Winters G in round 4, and build that offense.