**** Michigan Football **** | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**** Michigan Football ****

The one thing I'll say for the UCONN game is that it wasn't the D ****ting the bed. They actually played really well. Gardner just not playing well right. He's had multiple turnovers in 3 of 4 games... and the one he didn't (Notre DAme) still had a very dumb turnover

Gardner is certainly playing poor football right now and if he continues, they will need to sit him and turn to Shane Morris. Not sure what has happened but he looks like he's not having fun right now like he was against CMU and ND.

Defense played really well. 2 of the teams TOs directly resulted in 14 points. They will have a long B1G season if they don't get this cleaned up during this bye week.

I think Gardner's issues are part him just panicking, part him and part him and his weapons being really inexperienced. A lot of issues come from Gardner always trying to spin out and running backwards. The other issue is that outside of Gallon and Dileo, you have a true sophomore TE (Funchess) a RS Freshmen WR (Cheeson), and a true freshmen TE (Butt) as the main options. Also remember that you have 2 true freshmen behind Fitz, 3 interior OL whose first away games were at UCONN, and we also use a sophomore FB quite a bit as well. Gardner would have had a long bomb to Chesson in the 3rd quarter, but Jehu stopped for a sec and then tried to jump for the ball.

I also maintain that a lot of the struggles are just young team learning. Team is so young, and relying on a lot of guys who are RS freshmen, true sophomores, or in the case of a guy like Brennan Bryer, constantly switching positions.

Against Minny, if we Gardner can get a groove going with somebody not named Gallon, I think he'll turn it around, but if he doesn't you have to look towards Morris.

Jack Miller has been benched. Graham Glasgow is moving from LG to C while Chris Bryant takes over at LG. This is the lineup Brady Hoke wanted going into the season but Bryant hasn't been healthy.

I do feel bad for Miller, but he only had one game where he wasn't dominated (Central Michigan), and him losing battles at the LOS killed a lot of plays. Bryant is supposed to be damn good if he can stay healthy. Tough moving Glasgow over as he was doing extremely well at LG.

I expect Patrick Kugler (whose redshirting this year) to be the starting C next season

I read that Miller got benched. Hopefully everyone stays healthy so we don't need to see him again this year.

I am not going to lie, I am nervous about this Minnesota game.

Line was noticeably better. Bryant got beat badly on the one sack, but otherwise I didn't notice anybody getting stood up or knocked backwards.

We did what I wanted us to do all season and make Funchess a focal point. He's too much of a mismatch for defenses and having a dynamic TE can help get a QB's confidence up. Making Funchess the go-to guy also means Gallon and Dileo will have more openings.

Nice to see Chesson start to settle in more. Kid has a lot of talent, but is extremely raw (had a couple chances at huge plays at UCONN but you could tell he's still learning). Next year with him, a healthy Darboh, and Drake Harris you could see an explosive passing game

Defense seems to finally be settling. While I like having depth, I feel that the constant rotating of players hurt us at occasions (namely Akron, and at some points in UCONN). Going forward I think the starting LBs have to be Ross-Morgan-Beyer until Ryan gets back (maybe this weekend), at which point both Beyer and Jake can put their hand in the ground and rush the passer (and Beyer has perhaps been our best rusher despite doing it part time)

So when Ryan comes back I want the primary front 7 to be this (especially if Pipkins is out the rest of the season)..

Frank Clark-Quinton Washington-Jabril Black-Brennen Beyer (Mario Ojemudia and Chris Wormley rotate in)

James Ross-Desmond Morgan-Jake Ryan (Joe Bolden rotates in)

Secondary continues to be very solid. Blake Countess quietly putting together an All-American caliber season while Raymond Taylor continues to be criminally underrated as a starting CB (not a shutdown guy, but a very good number 2). Safety play could be a bit better. Thomas Gordon has taken a bit of a step back this year IMO. Jarrod Wilson has been solid, but has shown his inexperience.

interesting thing I saw, Raymon Taylor was targeted once by the Gophers and he got a PBU. Countess is having a great year, and Taylor (who was solid when he was forced into the lineup last season) has always been ok but seemed to have a tendency to give up big plays.

Anyways I'll be up at the game tomorrow

You guys think Brady is on the hot seat?

You guys think Brady is on the hot seat?

If we play like we did last year? yes. Brady has done a great job recruiting and rebuilding the Michigan brand, but that has to result in wins. Year 2 we lost some close games but looked good. Last year we laid some duds.

Still an insanely young team especially offensively, but the hope is that Nuess makes a huge difference.

Yes he's on the hot seat and I don't see them beating Ohio State or Sparty which won't sit well with a lot of fans.

Hard to believe that there are still tickets available for the opener. Quite honestly, this game against App State scares the hell out of me. If they lose there is no way Hoke survives the season.

And Devin Gardner needs to get rid of that ridiculous legends jersey. And they better not get cute and sky write over East Lansing.

Yes he's on the hot seat and I don't see them beating Ohio State or Sparty which won't sit well with a lot of fans.

Hard to believe that there are still tickets available for the opener. Quite honestly, this game against App State scares the hell out of me. If they lose there is no way Hoke survives the season.

And Devin Gardner needs to get rid of that ridiculous legends jersey. And they better not get cute and sky write over East Lansing.

Ohio State is a maybe. Outside of the D-Line the defense isn't that scary and the game was insanely close last year when it had no right to be.

Sparty? Depends on the OL. The score last year was ugly but it got that bad because the defense was gassed. Game was close till late in the 3rd (granted our offense was dominated).

Again though, one of the huge issues last year was that the only back Borges trusted was Fitz and Fitz just couldn't block. When he got hurt and we started using Hayes on passing downs, the pass blocking was a bit better. But a lot of the OL from last year have said that they like the scheme much better this year because they were asked to do A LOT and it confused them (Borges had the OL running options).

And of course, a lot depends on Devin. He's either the best player on the field or he's the worst. I think some of the issues came from lack of a run game and lack of a mid level passing game (huge complaint under Borges even before the wheels fell off last year), but he has to be consistent. The good news however is that if Devin sucks, Shane Morris has balled out this camp.

I'm cautiously optimistic based on the news coming out of camp. Derrick Green looks like a completely different person this year (ie the number 2 player in the country he was touted as and not the overweight true freshmen we got) and I'm excited to see Jabril Peppers and Freddy Canteen.

Ohio State is a maybe. Outside of the D-Line the defense isn't that scary and the game was insanely close last year when it had no right to be.

Sparty? Depends on the OL. The score last year was ugly but it got that bad because the defense was gassed. Game was close till late in the 3rd (granted our offense was dominated).

Again though, one of the huge issues last year was that the only back Borges trusted was Fitz and Fitz just couldn't block. When he got hurt and we started using Hayes on passing downs, the pass blocking was a bit better. But a lot of the OL from last year have said that they like the scheme much better this year because they were asked to do A LOT and it confused them (Borges had the OL running options).

And of course, a lot depends on Devin. He's either the best player on the field or he's the worst. I think some of the issues came from lack of a run game and lack of a mid level passing game (huge complaint under Borges even before the wheels fell off last year), but he has to be consistent. The good news however is that if Devin sucks, Shane Morris has balled out this camp.

I'm cautiously optimistic based on the news coming out of camp. Derrick Green looks like a completely different person this year (ie the number 2 player in the country he was touted as and not the overweight true freshmen we got) and I'm excited to see Jabril Peppers and Freddy Canteen.
I really like Shane Morris and have read the same camp reports. I'd have Devin on a very short leash.

Getting rid of Borges was definitely a step in the right direction. The opener last year he had Devin roll right from inside the 10 on 3d and long and he threw a pick. That play call convinced me Borges had to go. All to often he put the offense in a bad position.

Interior OL has to improve. Scary to think a freshman will take over LT. Devin has got to get the ball out quicker. Can't wait to see Peppers. I'm psyched but nervous as hell for Saturday.

I really like Shane Morris and have read the same camp reports. I'd have Devin on a very short leash.

Getting rid of Borges was definitely a step in the right direction. The opener last year he had Devin roll right from inside the 10 on 3d and long and he threw a pick. That play call convinced me Borges had to go. All to often he put the offense in a bad position.

Interior OL has to improve. Scary to think a freshman will take over LT. Devin has got to get the ball out quicker. Can't wait to see Peppers. I'm psyched but nervous as hell for Saturday.

That was an issue with playcalling. My issue became that during the big ten season we would just send guys deep, and there would be SOOO much space underneath. There were several games (including the Sparty game) where we could have masked some of the issues if we played a little dink and dunk. But even when we weren't behind on down and distance, opposing teams knew we weren't going to look short. I dunno if it was because Dileo was hurt or not (who was great in short routes in the prior season)

I think the interior should improve but early could be rough

Back
Top Bottom