Mike Mayock draft interview | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Mayock draft interview

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Long interview, a ton of stuff here:

"In my head, Zack [Martin] is going to be gone," he said. "There's no way in the world he gets close to 19. That means that the last first-round tackle I have is Cyrus Kouandjio. I have him later as far as on my board, but I think he's the guy they probably have to take at 19. They have to make over that offensive line. He would be the highest-rated guy left."

Kyle Fuller is one of my favorite players in the whole draft. What's interesting about the corners is that most of the personnel guys have [Bradley] Roby and [Justin] Gilbert as their highest rated corners just because they have better movement skills. Most of the coaches like Fuller and [Darqueze] Dennard because they're better football players today. You know what you're getting.
Fuller is my number one corner, first-round corner. He has it in his DNA. He can play on, off, he can play man or zone. I think you have a first rounder in Fuller

Q. BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy, do you see him staying around for his senior year helped or hurt him and your overall assessment of his extension and weaknesses heading into the draft?

MIKE MAYOCK:
I think it helped him. He became known as one of the best all-around linebackers in college football. There's been a buzz about him the last month or six weeks. The buzz has been he does everything well. I'm not sure he has one outstanding trait where you go, Wow, that's awesome. But he does everything well. He did rush. He can drop. He can play inside, outside. People are trying to figure out where best to play him.
His versatility is a huge plus. I've got him as a solid second rounder right now and I think he's going to be a real good NFL player.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...o-you-have-to-value-his-opinions-q-so-ma.html

Q. I wonder where you have Zack Martin. You had him fourth among the tackles. Has that changed at all? Could you give an assessment of him?

MIKE MAYOCK:

I love the kid. Even though I have him fourth as a tackle, he'd be my number one center or my number one guard. I believe that he is the only player in this draft that could start and play at a high level at all five offensive line positions. I think as we get closer to this draft, he will be the fourth offensive lineman off the board.

I think he's coming off the board somewhere between nine and 13. He's too good. He's too safe. There are too many offensive line needs out there. There are a bunch of teams that look at him and say, He could start at right tackle day one, maybe we move him inside to guard or center the next year.

He's awesome. He's about as safe a player as there is in this draft. If you want him, you better get him early.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...value-his-opinions-q-so-ma.html#storylink=cpy

He will be gone before we pick. I like Moyock's analysis. He does his homework.

I would not be upset with Kyle Fuller. One thing about Mike Mayock: when he raves about a DB, you probably should listen.

Having just recruited Benton to implement the O-line ZBS and not re-signed John Jerry because he never really fitted the system, Mike Mayock is suggesting that the very first player Dennis Hickey drafts will be Cyrus Kouandjio, a big lumbering O-lineman (6'7". 322 lbs) who doesn't fit the system.
Some of these football media experts are not as well informed as one would expect.
There is probably a 50% chance we pick O-lineman in the first round but he will definitely fit the system. (Martin and Su'a-Filo both fit the system).

Having just recruited Benton to implement the O-line ZBS and not re-signed John Jerry because he never really fitted the system, Mike Mayock is suggesting that the very first player Dennis Hickey drafts will be Cyrus Kouandjio, a big lumbering O-lineman (6'7". 322 lbs) who doesn't fit the system.
Some of these football media experts are not as well informed as one would expect.
There is probably a 50% chance we pick O-lineman in the first round but he will definitely fit the system. (Martin and Su'a-Filo both fit the system).

If thats the case, Which OTs outside of the top 3 fit the system? Martin, Su'a Filo and Bitonio are guards.

If thats the case, Which OTs outside of the top 3 fit the system? Martin, Su'a Filo and Bitonio are guards.

Martin is bull strong and quick, 6-4.5, 308 and his arms are the same length as Joe Thomas. He'd be great for us at RT imo, the fact that he can play Guard is a solid bonus.

Back
Top Bottom