Mike Mayock top 100 prospects 5/5/14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Mayock top 100 prospects 5/5/14

He's got Derek Carr AND Jimmy Garoppolo rated ahead of Teddy Bidgewater? Go home, you're drunk Mayock.

If you believe in Mayock's rating Ebron, Martin, Mosley and Fuller would all be extremely good value at 19 and I think at least one will be there. I think my board would be:

Ebron
Fuller
Martin
Mosley

But I think they are all almost even value wise for us and I could easily be convinced to switch them around.

Every time I want to raise my opinion of Mayock he gives me plenty of reason to scoff at him.

In this case, he's obviously got somebody telling him that the Texans may prefer Mack to Clowney, so he adjusts his ratings to conform. If they pick Mack first he can waive his hand in the air and say they agree with me.

I guarantee if Houston had already asserted that they were standing firm and picking Clowney, Mike Mayock would have Clowney on top. Mack probably would be several spots lower.

Mayock is increasingly concerned with his image and trying to pretend he's brain locked with the league. Previously he never bounced his ratings to this degree, like the sharp plummet of Bridgewater.

Most disgraceful of all is how Mayock operated last year on the first day of the draft. I don't think I can ever fully respect him again after that scam. The networks had agreed not to tip the picks ahead of time. Everybody went along with it except Mike Mayock. But instead of being honest about receiving the information seconds ahead of time in his earpiece, Mayock repeatedly tried to pretend he was "predicting" the choices. He'd be naming one guy after another as potential choices in the minutes ahead of the selection, then just as the card was headed to the podium he'd bring up another name out of the blue, someone he hadn't mentioned previously. And miraculously that would be the choice. It was particularly absurd in some cases, like E.J. Manuel to Buffalo. Then Mayock would be taking bows as if he actually called it on his own.

Mayock deservedly took plenty of heat for that stunt on some forums I frequent. His reputation changed within hours. Those forums remember very well and there have been related threads already this year, with posters saying they'll avoid NFL Network on day one to dodge Mayock. For some reason there was very little related discussion here.

Every time I want to raise my opinion of Mayock he gives me plenty of reason to scoff at him.

In this case, he's obviously got somebody telling him that the Texans may prefer Mack to Clowney, so he adjusts his ratings to conform. If they pick Mack first he can waive his hand in the air and say they agree with me.

I guarantee if Houston had already asserted that they were standing firm and picking Clowney, Mike Mayock would have Clowney on top. Mack probably would be several spots lower.

Mayock is increasingly concerned with his image and trying to pretend he's brain locked with the league. Previously he never bounced his ratings to this degree, like the sharp plummet of Bridgewater.

Most disgraceful of all is how Mayock operated last year on the first day of the draft. I don't think I can ever fully respect him again after that scam. The networks had agreed not to tip the picks ahead of time. Everybody went along with it except Mike Mayock. But instead of being honest about receiving the information seconds ahead of time in his earpiece, Mayock repeatedly tried to pretend he was "predicting" the choices. He'd be naming one guy after another as potential choices in the minutes ahead of the selection, then just as the card was headed to the podium he'd bring up another name out of the blue, someone he hadn't mentioned previously. And miraculously that would be the choice. It was particularly absurd in some cases, like E.J. Manuel to Buffalo. Then Mayock would be taking bows as if he actually called it on his own.

Mayock deservedly took plenty of heat for that stunt on some forums I frequent. His reputation changed within hours. Those forums remember very well and there have been related threads already this year, with posters saying they'll avoid NFL Network on day one to dodge Mayock. For some reason there was very little related discussion here.

At this point every team in the NFL needs to just skip out on the 1st round since every prospect slated to go early sucks, is flawed, and is guaranteed to underwhelm.

Honestly, it's why I always begin doing my work on the next year's prospects about 2 months after the end of bowl season. I'm usually sick of all the nonsense reguarding a current draft class before the Senior Bowl and All-Star games even take place. There's very few true talent evaluators out there among the talking heads. They're just information gatherers regurgitating second hand sources.

Mayock said last night that he had Mack first on his board dating to the combine. I'll take his word for it. He doesn't fall in line everywhere.

Mostly I wanted to make sure to rip Mayock for that 2013 disgrace of giving away the pick after he heard it in his earpiece. If he does it again this year the mainstream media needs to ridicule him, and not merely a handful of specialized sites.

With a few months I'll probably find reason to praise Mayock. I'm back and forth on him more than any analyst I can remember.

Mayock said last night that he had Mack first on his board dating to the combine. I'll take his word for it. He doesn't fall in line everywhere.

Mostly I wanted to make sure to rip Mayock for that 2013 disgrace of giving away the pick after he heard it in his earpiece. If he does it again this year the mainstream media needs to ridicule him, and not merely a handful of specialized sites.

With a few months I'll probably find reason to praise Mayock. I'm back and forth on him more than any analyst I can remember.

I dunno if he did, but a few draft guys did for sure

Slimm,

I hold your opinion on draft prospects in high regard. Who are the very few talent evaluators out there that your talking about? Thanks.

Slimm,

I hold your opinion on draft prospects in high regard. Who are the very few talent evaluators out there that your talking about? Thanks.

Honestly, I don't know of many that focus primarily on the NFL draft itself. I just see a lot of the same information gathering from second hand sources. Then they try to match their boards up to what they're hearing when draft time rolls around.

The best talent evaluators in my estimation are guys like Tom Luginbill (for example) that truly evaluate the TALENT of these kids coming out of high school. His experience as a professional and college coach's son, as a player at many different levels, a head coach at different levels, and as a recruiting coordinator allows him to be familiar first hand with techniques, concepts, and specific assignments. This is truly evaluating talent.

Anybody with the ability to see their TV set 10 feet in front of 'em can look at guys like Jadeveon Clowney, Andrew Luck, Calvin Johnson, etc. and see talent. You don't need to be qualified to be able to see that.

You may think I'm just blowing smoke, but I'm dead serious when I say that a guy like CKParrothead is one of the best "NFL Draft" talent evaluators that I know of. The reason is because I believe that he really puts in the film study enough to form his own evaluations, and it takes a lot of time. You can't do it in the few months from the end of the season to the draft in April-May and think you know everything. It takes a lot more dedication than that...trust me. It just means a lot to me to feel like someone is doing that. Doesn't matter how much they end up wrong or right. Hell, there's plenty of GM's in the NFL that I can never figure out how they keep their jobs.

If I know a guy is putting in the necessary hours to do this... that's the type of guy I'll listen to when he's pounding the table for somebody. Or at least I would if I were a GM and he's working under me. I'm not going to listen to the guy that spends a flittering 2 months here and there watching a few hours of football talking about "tools, feet, and upside" that thinks he knows what he's talking about. Again, anybody within 10 feet of a TV set can see tools, feet, and upside after 3 minutes of watching a player. I need to know more.

There's some good talent evaluators in this forum. Posters like j-off-her-doll, etc. Honestly I find their evaluations just as relevant as anybody NFL Network or ESPN can put on TV, or any information gathering website.

Thanks for the reply. I dont listen to any of the TV guys except for maybe Mayock. I will admit i enjoyed some of Ray Lewis's commentary last night though.

Theres only a few people i really listen to and value there opinions regarding prospects. Yourself and CK. No disrespect to the other users, i do enjoy reading there posts. There are guys on Twitter like Josh Norris, Greg Bedard, Matt Miller, Cian Fahey, Doug Farrar, Mike Loyko, Ryan Riddle, James Christensen, Greg Cosell, and Thomas Melton that put in work as well.

I will definitly check out Tom Luginbill.

Do you happen to have a twitter account?

The key with CK is that not only he is a really committed evaluator, but he is an exceptional writer. By that, I am not referring to grammar and constructing a sentence. I mean that he really articulates his ideas well. (And quickly, too. I have sometimes exchanged posts on here with him. I write something, check back 10 minutes later and he has a 1000 word post ready, exceptionally written, and I am like, "how is that mathematically possible?" LOL.

Mike Mayock is a disgrace. He should be thrown off the draft day coverage. Thank goodness I didn't watch NFL Network on the first day, after Mayock gave away so many picks last year after he had received the information in his earpiece, or watched the activity in the room and saw which player was reacting to being selected.

Today I finally watched the NFL Network coverage of round one. Mayock did exactly the same thing, beginning with the Bortles selection. After it said "pick is in" suddenly Mayock switched to Bortles, after not mentioning him previously. He is so desperate to make himself look good he flat out lies. Mayock actually had the gall to say, "I don't know this for a fact...," after naming Bortles as the pick while the Bortles card was being walked to the podium.

On another site posters were saying that fans at a sports bar were booing every time Mayock gave away the choice, and that prompted the bar owner to switch every set to ESPN.

Back
Top Bottom