Mining for Gold v's Fixing the problem now | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mining for Gold v's Fixing the problem now

Pat-London

Active Roster
Reaction score
In Omar's piece on making tough decisions http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...9/tough-decisions-for-the-miami-dolphins.html he talked about fixing problems now over mining for gold, especially in the case of the Moses and Walden debate.

So I figured it would be good debate to look at over all.

Is it a situation of

1. We are still building this thing so recognise the importance of finding those gems that do need developing so that when we are ready to compete on a consistently high level those gems have developed?

or

2. With the unexpected defending AFC East champions mind set, its about winning now and therefore fixing those problems that exist now rather than looking to develop for tomorrow.

My own opinion is, Omar, you're a little short sighted on this one for a number of reasons.

1. The new (thank god) management of this team are trying to build a "sustainable" winner.. you dont do that by using the Washington Redskins blue print of "buying for now" - you do that by developing talent and getting a core of young players through the draft that can be the contributors and leaders in the next few years and beyond (if they can contrubute now, then great)

2. Positional situations may somewhat change this slightly,

OL - they needed to do something now so put a lot of money into this... they need time to come together. You have to be able to protect your QB (god help Stafford if he starts, no OL will impact his psyche-e

RB - do you keep a Hilliard whom they like becuase Ricky's future is now sealed and Ronnie is in contract limbo?

OLB - Moses - is he kept simply because both Porter and Taylor are on the downward part of their career... lets not forget Sparano's comments "you can never have enough pash rushers"....

ILB - with Torbor re-imerging there is a little more comfort, however with Crowders knee issues is Kershaw who has flashed this preseason get a chance???

in the 34 LB's are the premium along with NT.

This team is still developing... do our chances of having a winning record exist again this year? I do believe so, however this Holy Trinity is not a short-sighted, win now, kinda management team... so looking to develop young players I think is what this group is all about.

What you all think?

Trade Torbor if you can and take kershaw. I saw enough from him this preseason to say this kid has it and the heart and would make a great ILB for this team and maybe light someone up on ST.

Its a ballsy move I know but thats what we do around here!

Trade Torbor if you can and take kershaw. I saw enough from him this preseason to say this kid has it and the heart and would make a great ILB for this team and maybe light someone up on ST.

Its a ballsy move I know but thats what we do around here!

Have to keep Torbor in case Crowder or Akin goes down.

Isnt Torbor robbing us with his insane salary? or am i confusing him?

I think you have to keep Moses because until Roth is back from whatever his problem is, there's not another OLB on the team that's set the edge vs. the run better than Moses this preseason. Wake has been the only other guy I've seen used on the strongside, but it's only been very sparingly in mainly passing situations.

Back
Top Bottom