Mock draft attempt #1. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock draft attempt #1.

Mudder1310

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I like to try one of these each year. I think it's probably too early for one that will closely mirror Miami's actual draft but it's fun to discuss. I'm going to make some assumptions like acquiring at least one O lineman in free agency, resigning Grimes and one of the D tackles, and ignoring cutting anyone not a FA like Wheeler, Patterson, or Moore. Also assuming losing 6th rd pick for signing McKinnie.

Here goes. Perhaps optimistic, but not out of the question.

1. Calvin Pryor, S Louisville
2. Gabe Jackson G, Miss St
3. Jeremy Hill RB, LSU
4. Kelcy Quarles DT, S. Car
5. James Hurst, OT NC
7. Colt Lyerla, TE Or

Discussion:
I hate our safeties. Well, hate is strong but they are not great. Serviceable is the best I can do. Pryor immediately steps in as a hammer. Jackson should be self explanatory. Miller is fast but Hill is talented and a bigger back. He could be the workhorse Miami needs to make play action truly functional. Quarles adds depth or fills in for whomever leaves, Soliai or Starks. Hurst is probably a reach in the 5th, but he is coming off ACL surgery. Lyerla is simply a stud talent with a ten cent head. Maybe he can get coached up and be that seam threat TE. If not no big loss in the 7th. A gamble with all upside.

I don't think mocks are the ideal use of space on this forum. Comparative waste of resources, IMO. The names tend to blend together and don't prompt much discussion.

From what I've seen, lots of posters here have very good opinions on specific players and it's interesting when those players are analyzed. That lends itself to a good overview of who is available and who the Dolphins should pursue, beyond one guesswork name among dozens or hundreds.

I'm proud that my last mock was 1982. I realized that I was flailing while trying to predict someone else's opinion and not the value of the players themselves.

I don't think mocks are the ideal use of space on this forum. Comparative waste of resources, IMO. The names tend to blend together and don't prompt much discussion.

From what I've seen, lots of posters here have very good opinions on specific players and it's interesting when those players are analyzed. That lends itself to a good overview of who is available and who the Dolphins should pursue, beyond one guesswork name among dozens or hundreds.

I'm proud that my last mock was 1982. I realized that I was flailing while trying to predict someone else's opinion and not the value of the players themselves.

HUH???? Where is a good place to post mock drafts other than the draft forum??? :confused: As far as the mock draft, not bad....I just am concerned about Hill and Lyerla who both have off-the-issues.

I'll go insane if we take a damn safety with our first pick. Even if we get an olineman in free agency we need to draft one too and early. I believe we need a safety but not as much as we need oline, RB,TE,LB and even a corner.

Ozzy rules!!

I'll go insane if we take a damn safety with our first pick. Even if we get an olineman in free agency we need to draft one too and early. I believe we need a safety but not as much as we need oline, RB,TE,LB and even a corner.

Ozzy rules!!

So you'd rather take an O lineman who is really a second rounder over a bona fide stud safety? All I'm doing is waiting to take a second round guy until the second round, getting a top playmaker along with it.

So...what are you even doing responding here? No one is making you participate in something you abandoned 30 years ago.

I agree we need a safety, but I don't know about 1st round. I think 1st pick should be lineman. If you believe the guys from NFL network, who are covering the senior bowl, Zack Martin is now a top 20 pick. Why not him? or Timmy Jurnigan who elevated his stock during the national title game? For safety, Pryor could go in rd #1 and won't be there when we pick in round 2. We could trade down in the 1st and should still be able to get him. If not Dion Bailey could be available in round 2. I love the Jackson pick if Bailey is gone. Either Jackson or the guard from UCLA. One of those three in round 2 would make my day. Not a big Hill fan. Should have stayed in school. Federowitcz would be a good 3rd round pick. Morgan Moses or Daniel McCullers might be available, although McCullers is playing himself into the 2nd round. If Carlos Hyde is still there in round 3, do what you gotta do. Quarles has played himself into day 3 and would be a great 4th round pick. Keith McGill, a db from Utah would make a great 4th rounder also. I really like James Hurst, but a team like San Francisco will draft players like him and Aaron Colvin with their extra 2nd and 3rd round picks and stash them for a year, just like they did with Lattimore. That's one reason why they are always competitive Lyerla is a good 7th round gamble. We could take a TE in round 5 if we don't take one earlier.

I love Hill, but if his character causes him to fall all the way to the 3rd, I don't think we'd be interested. I don't think it will. I think he'll probably go in the 1st.

Some guys turn around, some can't. I think it would be difficult to pass on Hill in the 3rd if he were still around, same for Lyerla. Both terrific talents.

So...what are you even doing responding here? No one is making you participate in something you abandoned 30 years ago.

Apparently, long-winded, rambling responses to threads he's not interested in are an ideal use of space.

I don't think Awsi was being a dick. I think he was saying that rather than guessing who might or might not be there at a given spot, specific player analysis suggests where you'd be interested in drafting them and encourages better discussion. I agree with him, but I don't mind mocks.

Pryor is an interesting prospect. I like him a lot, especially in run support. I think Hill might be the best back in the draft. Don't know enough about his blocking, but he is quick and powerful. I like Gabe Jackson, but not sure he would fit Miami's ZBS very well. Hurst in the 5th would be a steal. I think he goes earlier.

I agree we need a safety, but I don't know about 1st round. I think 1st pick should be lineman. If you believe the guys from NFL network, who are covering the senior bowl, Zack Martin is now a top 20 pick. Why not him? or Timmy Jurnigan who elevated his stock during the national title game? For safety, Pryor could go in rd #1 and won't be there when we pick in round 2. We could trade down in the 1st and should still be able to get him. If not Dion Bailey could be available in round 2. I love the Jackson pick if Bailey is gone. Either Jackson or the guard from UCLA. One of those three in round 2 would make my day. Not a big Hill fan. Should have stayed in school. Federowitcz would be a good 3rd round pick. Morgan Moses or Daniel McCullers might be available, although McCullers is playing himself into the 2nd round. If Carlos Hyde is still there in round 3, do what you gotta do. Quarles has played himself into day 3 and would be a great 4th round pick. Keith McGill, a db from Utah would make a great 4th rounder also. I really like James Hurst, but a team like San Francisco will draft players like him and Aaron Colvin with their extra 2nd and 3rd round picks and stash them for a year, just like they did with Lattimore. That's one reason why they are always competitive Lyerla is a good 7th round gamble. We could take a TE in round 5 if we don't take one earlier.
San Francisco definitely has the luxury of taking more chances on players simply because they are loaded with talent. It's a nice situation to be in. I agree with you on Zach Martin. I think he would be a perfect fit for the Dolphins, giving them some versatility as well as a talented player. I also like the guard from Stanford, David Yankey. But, Martin has that ability to play tackle as well.

As far as running backs go, I would like Miami to get Toby Gerhart in free agency or maybe draft a late rounder like James Wilder Jr. who I think has as much talent as the top guys being discussed.

Back
Top Bottom