Mock Off-Season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock Off-Season

Is it possible to do mocks without trade downs? Doesn't seem like it. Who was available in this scenario when we decided to trade down?

I’m amazed how much time this guy has for this stuff

I don’t see miami in the Nwosu market cause I don’t see the fit schematically relative to his strengths. It feels like you are a round late on him based on what he can do

I do like the Samuels pick value and the Andrews and Michel return. Chase Thomas I’m ok with there. Not in love but ok
I took another look at R Smith. Specifically the ND Georgia game. The kid is a stud. Always in the right place. Made 4-5 impactful plays. He's a perfect WLB next to Raekwon. I think some are overthinking this one.

I took another look at R Smith. Specifically the ND Georgia game. The kid is a stud. Always in the right place. Made 4-5 impactful plays. He's a perfect WLB next to Raekwon. I think some are overthinking this one.

You will have to put me on that list I think he’s undersized and draft value wise at 11 overdrafted. Lacks the size that the scheme ask for too.

He’s like baker mayfield that height gonna effect his stock.

I feel like I can get Darius Leonard later get the range and the speed I need and develop into a potential Kiko wolb replacement in the 3rd round. Gives me that long down and distance nickel add and comp for kikos gig in 2019

Poa though is a weakness that needs development 6 foot 2 229 and 34 inch arms. That’s why I’d project 2019 before he would compete to start every down

Doesn’t have Rashaan Evans thump or poa play but draft pick value wise relative to my needs relative to Kiko comp and maybe getting me out of that contract in 2019 I think he’s exactly what I’m looking for

A package piece for 2018 with developmental upside to play every down in the future

And i’d be willing to play him in long nickel distance to the sticks packages right now

Dshawn Hamilton for my money been the most impressive wr at the senior bowl

I’m amazed how much time this guy has for this stuff

I don’t see miami in the Nwosu market cause I don’t see the fit schematically relative to his strengths. It feels like you are a round late on him based on what he can do

I do like the Samuels pick value and the Andrews and Michel return. Chase Thomas I’m ok with there. Not in love but ok

You're amazed how much time OP has to write articles? I'm amazed how you have so much time to write more than 50,000 forum posts

That kid Leonard can play. A little bit of tightness in tbe cod but he helps make up for it with the quick acceleration. Raw but lots of meat on tbe bone and lots of length

Davenport is way more scary and comfortable looking in a 2 point stance

Last edited:
Pouncey is staying and isn't taking a pay cut, it is what it is, Gase has already made that clear.

I agree on all the FA except maybe Verner is resigned IMO. I think Larsen has a chance of staying depending on what else happens in FA and the draft.

Could really use that LG FA or draft, just get it done. I dont think they make a move at center- Its Pouncey and Brendel. It would be nice to see Sony here, cant see them spending a second rd pick on a RB though.

TE Im unsure about but I would lean they draft one over a FA.

Alot of the above is based on what I think this FO will do vs what would be ideal.

Last edited:
To the OP, I would caution on some of your values.

You are relating guys who are unrestricted FAs in Jensen and Fulton and giving them comparable contracts to Bitonio and Duvernay-Tardif . . . Who were still on rookie deals and signed early extensions.

Expect those numbers to be higher with 32 teams involved and 13 million more cap . . . .similar to Landry's situation.

Speaking of Landry, may as well forget about any compensation for losing him as a FA.

Top 3 FAs and top 3 draft picks . . . .5 of the 6 are offensive players. Not my preference. Trading down from 11 to pick up Andrews and Miller would make me ill considering I think we would be passing up on a real good player and I think both of those guys are reaches where you have them selected.

Do appreciate the effort, just pointing out a few things.

Pouncey is staying and isn't taking a pay cut, it is what it is, Gase has already made that clear.

I agree on all the FA except maybe Verner is resigned IMO. I think Larsen has a chance of staying depending on what else happens in FA and the draft.

Could really use that LG FA or draft, just get it done. I dont think they make a move at center- Its Pouncey and Brendel. It would be nice to see Sony here, cant see them spending a second rd pick on a RB though.

TE Im unsure about but I would lean they draft one over a FA.

Alot of the above is based on what I think this FO will do vs what would be ideal.

Yep, Gase loves Pouncey and Miami feels good about the way he played in 2017. The contract is reasonable . . . They aren't opening up that hole in 2018. Brendal as th depth center is workable plus Larsen is under contract cheap for two more years.

I think CB may get addressed and in a bigger way then people are thinking.

I am all in on the LG bandwagon. Needs to get handled properly. I am ok spending in FA for a solid starter and certainly ok even considering Nelson at 11 or whoever is there at 42. Needs to happen. Plug and Play starter day 1.

TE is the weird one . . . Don't really love FA or draft for a #1 guy. Wouldn't rule out Julius Thomas resigned at a lower price but I personally have seen enough. Maybe get crafty on day 2 but its ehhhh. Someone brought up a Dion Sims return due to his very cuttable contract with Chicago. I could buy into that for sure.

Yea I don't see us doing much in FA if Landry walks. That third is how it will be justified. I'd also let James walk too that way it's one year of not doing much in FA and get maybe 2 3rd round comps.

I like Ryan Jensen at center but I don't think he will get anywhere near 9 mil. I see him signing for 6 mil or something similar to what the Browns gave J.C. Tretter last year. Both players were reserves that turned into starters prior to their walk years. Tretter got a 3 year deal worth about 5.5 mil a year with 10 mil guaranteed.

With Regards to Pouncey... I'd have to ask him to take a paycut, if not, release him.

I just don't see how you can bank on Pouncey for 16 games and give him 9mil, are the Dolphins brass going to baby him again this year like they did last season? This was taken from Rotoworld's website from last season. "The Dolphins are managing Pouncey's practice workload to help ensure he does not suffer a setback, but it is clear the hip will be a constant worry the rest of his career". Too much risk associated with him.

Jensen only played center last year because of injury. He is a right guard and he would be worth every penny of 9 mil for the Dolphins. I actually thought it might be worth it for the Dolphins to offer him when he was a RFA a year ago.

Jensen had started 6 games in 2015 and 3 games in 2016 before starting every game at center last year. He was ranked 9th last season by PFF at the center position. J.C. Tretter started 3 games in 2015 and 7 in 2016 before signing his 3 year deal with the Browns for 3yrs/15mil with 10 mil guaranteed. Tretter was ranked 13th by PFF last season at the center position. I don't see how Jensen is going to get 9mil a season. We'll have to see, maybe he will.

Kdawg954 wrote:
"Yep, Gase loves Pouncey and Miami feels good about the way he played in 2017. The contract is reasonable" what is reasonable being paid 9 mil this season and ranking as the 28th best center in the league last year by PFF. Whats there to love about that? Miami feels good about the way he played ? They feel good because he started all 16 games last season, thats setting the bar high. This is the reason Miami is a middling team every year. Their evaluation of players and what their worth is stinks to high heaven.

Jensen had started 6 games in 2015 and 3 games in 2016 before starting every game at center last year. He was ranked 9th last season by PFF at the center position. J.C. Tretter started 3 games in 2015 and 7 in 2016 before signing his 3 year deal with the Browns for 3yrs/15mil with 10 mil guaranteed. Tretter was ranked 13th by PFF last season at the center position. I don't see how Jensen is going to get 9mil a season. We'll have to see, maybe he will.

Kdawg954 wrote:
"Yep, Gase loves Pouncey and Miami feels good about the way he played in 2017. The contract is reasonable" what is reasonable being paid 9 mil this season and ranking as the 28th best center in the league last year by PFF. Whats there to love about that? Miami feels good about the way he played ? They feel good because he started all 16 games last season, thats setting the bar high. This is the reason Miami is a middling team every year. Their evaluation of players and what their worth is stinks to high heaven.

He's getting paid 8 million this season . . . And Miami is not trying to create a hole on the offensive line just to plug it again in FA.

Adam Gase likes what Mike Pouncey brings to the team and unit. That isn't my words that is from coach. I am not going to fight his thought process on Pouncey.

Miami doesn't have the cap space to compete with 31 other teams in a Free Agency bidding war to guarantee improvement or value at the position.

Reality is Miami has a boatload of other issues that need addressing in the draft and I just don't believe Pouncey is where they focus their attention when coach has always felt he was a quality player. Maybe flank him with a proper LG, something we have not done since Incognito left 4 seasons ago. He has often played with trash next to him on both sides since then.

Nwosu is really interesting, but he's probably best suited to play SLB is a 4-3 Under, with WLB in a 3-4 his next best fit. I'd like to see Miami transition to an Under front, at least more often, but they don't seem interested.

Michel is fun, but you're playing with fire in the 2nd. He's relatively old and has never carried the load as a feature back. If you're just looking for a compliment to Drake, you don't have to grab him in the 2nd.

Miller is easy to love, but he's also old (older than Ridley by a few months), and his production comes in bunches. Before knowing his age, I rated him in the 2nd/3rd range, but he's more of a 3rd/4th for me now. DJ Mooe and Michael Gallup are better prospects.

Chad Thomas looks the part, but he's a Day 3 guy for me. More than likely, he's a marginal starter you'd prefer to be a rotational piece.

I wouldn't prioritize TE in this class. Miami does need a dynamic TE, but, as often happens, people are letting that need make them see things that aren't there. Miami passed on Njoku at 22. Drafting Andrews in a similar range a year later would be doubling-down on poor evaluation. But, I'm surprised to see some posters withhold their praise, given that they have talked up Andrews as a legitimate 1st-RD option, and, depending on the board, I would be in favor of a trade down.

Overall, I think this is well done/well thought, but I disagree with the player evaluations.

It's a weak TE Free agent market.
In a trade down scenario, I wouldn't mind Dallas Goedert
He's getting paid 8 million this season . . . And Miami is not trying to create a hole on the offensive line just to plug it again in FA.

Adam Gase likes what Mike Pouncey brings to the team and unit. That isn't my words that is from coach. I am not going to fight his thought process on Pouncey.

Miami doesn't have the cap space to compete with 31 other teams in a Free Agency bidding war to guarantee improvement or value at the position.

Reality is Miami has a boatload of other issues that need addressing in the draft and I just don't believe Pouncey is where they focus their attention when coach has always felt he was a quality player. Maybe flank him with a proper LG, something we have not done since Incognito left 4 seasons ago. He has often played with trash next to him on both sides since then.
WHY are we overcomplicating the Center issue. It's so damn simple. Cut Pouncey and his bad hip, Save 7 million, Use 7 million for his replacement. Done.

That kid Leonard can play. A little bit of tightness in tbe cod but he helps make up for it with the quick acceleration. Raw but lots of meat on tbe bone and lots of length
Who would you compare him to as a pro, projection wise?

Back
Top Bottom