Monday press conference scheduled to address future of Sun Life Stadium

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Nublar7, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

https://twitter.com/finsjesse/status/289891055623614465

They are likely to announce the renovations needed to land Super Bowl L. My guess it will be seats closer to the field and a partial roof covering the seats.

2. maso3348

maso3348 Scout Team

Should be interesting to see what they say. Any clue what time?

3. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Waste of time and money "upgrading" that dump known as Sun Life Stadium. San Francisco (Santa Clara) will win the bid for Super Bowl L and then Miami will lose the bid again the following year to Houston. Ross needs a new stadium. Which isn't happening for a loooong time.

4. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

i wish they would build a new stadium, but the marlins screwed us on that.
    hope they go with that canopy look. i just like it bc its is unique

5. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Ross will have to pay for the upgrades himself otherwise no dice.

6. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Can already see their announcement:

"....and in conclusion, if you dont show up for Dolphins games, you are not a real fan. I mean, really, whats with you people, your the reason why this team keeps having losing seasons!"

7. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Hopefully they say there will be a wrecking ball swinging through the stadium soon as we will be breaking ground on a stadium built similar to what the Seahawks have.

8. LandShark13

LandShark13 A True Fan

Well, if getting a new stadium isn't going to happen for a "loooooong" time then its not a waste of time nor money to improve what we have.

9. Pitbull13

Pitbull13 Pitbull13

Should have happened the first time!!!!!

10. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

The Marlins are coming back.

11. poppy

poppy Seasoned Veteran

That would be too cool! Love it!

12. poppy

poppy Seasoned Veteran

Unfortunately it will probably be a proposal from The Fins to make improvements (Canopy over fans, seats closer to the field, reduction of seats in upper level, better lighting) with public money. Which means its going nowhere.

13. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Exactly. It's a waste of time.

14. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

If you admit that a new stadium is far off in the future why is putting money into the stadium now a bad idea?

15. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Absolute waste of time. After what the Marlins did last year to the City of Miami with the player salary dump it will be at least a generation before any sports franchise in South Florida gets public money for a stadium or arena. Joe Robbie used his own money to build his stadium. Mickey Arison used his own money to build his arena. Ross is supposed to be a billionaire and a builder. Let him put together a private money package to build the infrastructure he requires to run his business. Frankly, I am tired of this crony capitalism where the rich steal from the poor and middle class to pad their own pockets.

16. signman

signman Rookie

The press conference will be .................................................... to anounce another stadium name change.

17. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Because I think we rather them save that money for a new stadium than to continue spending hundreds of millions on that garbage.

Even the ****ing Raiders are getting a new stadium. THE FREAKING RAIDERS. And Goodell has even said the NFL will help fund it. I don't get why we can't get a new stadium, seriously.

18. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I'm sure its all prearranged, the city will give money for upgrades contingent on superbowl promises. Just one superbowl is probably worth at least $50 million in spinoff revenues to the city.

19. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Oh they are setting up to try to get public on side to fund stadium. The nfl needs to start funding their own stadiums

20. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Hell Yea! I'm no baseball fan but I am certainly all about the Marlins coming back. We haven't had the same success on the ground since they left and the only conceivable reason why has been a topic of hot debate in the past. Simply put. we are missing the biggest advantage that our home field provides, dirt! You heard me right, the in-field dirt is the difference between the first-time 1,000 rusher RB22 and the oft-hurt, pansy running we have seen this season. Sure Reggie has broken a few big runs this season but not like he did the year before.

If we don't get the dirt back soon, I fear the Dolphins will have another run-game drought like back when Danny Boy played. I couldn't imagine having RT a a franchise QB without a running game all because we foolishly decided to ignore the stats.

And if anyone has any disputes about my logic... don't make me go get JCane to spit some knowledge.

21. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

If we're getting rid of it I hope it stays up a few more weeks, like my Christmas tree

22. Dolphin Dave

Dolphin Dave Scout Team

The stadium is structurally fine. No need to knock it down. Just gut it out and redue the seating and put some kind of awnings for shade over the stands.

23. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Rookie

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the aaa wasn't paid for by the heat group or the arisons.

24. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

I believe it was at least partially publicly funded, thanks to a referendum in the mid-90's.

25. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Miami will most likely still lose bids. Even with these so called upgrades because the stadium is becoming obsolete. I don't understand why Miami had to put up ugly canopies to host a Super Bowl yet open door stadiums like the giants stadium gets a bid no problem.

26. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Rookie

Ross is probably banking on those overhangs to entice fans to attend more regular season games given there would be a exponential increase in shaded seats

27. z926538

z926538 Rookie

My mistake -- it would appear there were some hotel tax funds in Dade that augmented the money that Arison put up for the AAA.

My main point remains: Ross is a billionaire builder. If anyone can put together a private financing package it would be him. I'd rather see our tax funds used to improve our public education system than to be given to billionaires to run their hobbies.

28. Finfanforever

Finfanforever Finfanforever

How about a wrecking ball and bulldozers and build a futuristic "Orange Bowl" and get the damn hex off this franchise!

29. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Rookie

I'm not fully versed in the matter really. This from the Sun Sentinel (looks like Arison put up some money)

Christened Dec. 31, 1999 with a concert by Gloria Estefan, American Airlines Arena is home to the NBA's Miami Heat and a venue for concerts, family shows, and theatrical performances. The modern arena, designed by Miami architecture firm Arquitectonica and arena designers Heinlein & Schrock, is located at 601 Biscayne Blvd., and overlooks Biscayne Bay in downtown Miami. The $213 million American Airlines Arena, owned by Miami-Dade County, was the result of years of political wrangling and disputes between Miami Heat owner Micky Arison and H. Wayne Huizenga, owner of the NHL's Florida Panthers, whose teams shared the Heat's original home, Miami Arena. Both team owners decided to abandon the pink oval arena less than a decade after it opened because it didn't have revenue-generating luxury suites and club seats. The two owners initially planned to share a new home in Broward County, but Miami-Dade County business and political leaders urged the Heat to stay in Miami and a bayside arena plan was forged in March 1996 that relied on a combination of private money, hotel taxes and a state sales tax rebate to pay for the building. But just days before Miami-Dade County voters were to consider a ballot measure on the plan, a new deal was struck with Miami-Dade County newly elected mayor, Alex Penelas, who had campaigned against public financing for the arena. The new plan called for the Heat to cover most of the financing with the help of a $60 million state sales tax rebate and the county kicking in $6.4 million a year for arena maintenance and operation. The county also paid $37 million to the city for the land. The deal required voters to vote No on the referendum and on Nov. 5, 1996, voters rejected the measure by a 65 percent to 35 percent vote. In October 1997, American Airlines purchased the naming rights to the arena for $42 million over 20 years. Ground was broken in January 1998. On Nov. 13, ironworkers cutting steel accidentally sparked a blaze during construction when molten metal fell on plywood. The fire caused only superficial damage. American Airlines Arena, which seats 19,600 for basketball games, includes 20 center court suites each with balconies, 54 loge premium seats, and six exclusive Starbox suites located under the lower bowl seating that come with seats on the court. It opened on New Year's Eve in 1999 with Estefan's concert and the first Heat game in the building was held on Jan. 2, 2000. It served as home to the WNBA's Miami Sol from 2000 until 2002, when the team folded. Madonna, U2, Cher, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Britney Spears, Shakira and Phish are among the acts that have played the arena. The building has also hosted the Harlem Globetrotters, Disney on Ice, WWE and the Wiggles. The arena played host to the 2004 and 2005 MTV Music Video Awards. It can be transformed into the Waterfront Theatre for smaller concerts and theatrical performances for up to 5,600 patrons. The Heat won the NBA Championship in 2006, playing NBA Finals games 3, 4, and 5 at American Airlines Arena, before winning the championship in Dallas in Game 6. The arena is scheduled to host the first and second rounds of the NCAA men's basketball tournament in March 2009

30. signman

signman Rookie

Super Bowls are are NOT awarded to Stadiums, they are made to cities/communities, and they are not awarded solely on the condition/comparison between the stadiums. Other factors are almost as important, and those other factors together are MORE important. The city, hotels, weather, venues for ancillary events, tourist attractions, city image, ect, ect.....

31. keller377

keller377 Active Member Donator

Based on what evidence?

Should Miami spend $1,000,000,000 in order to maybe get a pay off perhaps $50,000,000 in the future? (Hint, count the zeroes)

32. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I beg to differ.....Going back to 2009, if not before, Commissioner Goodell has repeatedly said that upgrades need to be made to the stadium if Miami is going to be competitive in the Superbowl bidding process.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2009/12/07/20091207spt-nflnb1208.html

Of course most other places don't have the kind of weather that Miami has in February, so you probably will see Miami and New Orleans always in the bidding, even though there are newer and better stadiums.

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Lets see if they are asking for more welfare for billionaires. Amazing how the nfl keeps squeezing public money away from everything else when they are quite capable of financing their own stadiums.

34. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Would love nothing more then to see us have a Seahawks style stadium and name it THE ORANGE BOWL. Problem solved

35. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

The upgrades are rumored to cost about $100 million, one superbowl could pay for that.

36. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I think Ross should spend that money its not like ticket prices wont go up when we make improvements , hell maybe we can pay 50 dollars for parking

37. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Weather is no longer a factor. New York hosts 2014 and Goodell is talking about wanting one in Denver. Footbal was made to be played in the elements and he knows that.

38. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't see a guarantee Oakland is getting a new stadium. In looking at info on the 'net about it, it seems to be a possibility. They might share the new 49ers new stadium for 2 years before they get their own place. That's bat**** dumb.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

If it's 19 degrees in Denver now for the AFC Divisional Game, can you imagine what it would be like at the end of Jan/early Feb for the Super Bowl? That would be ridiculous to have all the rich a-holes at the Super Bowl sit in that cold weather to watch the game.

39. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

No different then sitting through a winter storm in New York. Its all about money and the city that bids the highest will be hosting.

40. scottie g

scottie g Active Member

no offence ,my man ....but people need to get over that rusty ,ragged ,azz orange bowl.