Money Talks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by gatormike, Jan 27, 2013.

1. gatormike

gatormike Rookie

I lurk on here quite a bit but figured I'd chime in on something that I don't think anyone has mentioned.

This is the first FA crop of Ireland draftees. I think the true test of how well he drafted is the interest that is generated by these players in FA.

A few years ago we were letting guys go into FA and they weren't being signed by other teams but instead found themselves out of the league. I think the fact that Hartline, Long and Smith may command more money than we're willing to pay is a sign that our roster has gotten much better.

2. chriscarter

chriscarter Scout Team

Good post! I'm a lurker here too. .... Let's not become a farm team for superior teams!

3. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Money talks. It talks about how smart or dumb you are.

4. Phin-Omenon

Phin-Omenon Ramblin' Man

If we are able to keep some of these guys even though there is interest elsewhere, it could also show that Ireland isn't as bad to work for as some people make it out to be.

5. The Omen

The Omen Well-Known Member

Good post.

But last year we got a little taste of the early Ireland/Tuna picks to hit FA. Henne was one of the top QB's to hit the market last year and Langkford got a decent paycheck from the Rams.

6. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

they have to retain and build. they aren't rebuilding anymore, that was last season. They have to invest in Tannehill, and that means havin someone to protect his blindside. Long on a one-year franchise deal for now

7. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

We can not create more holes than we already have. Even if we have to overpay a few of our key positions for 1-2 years. Otherwise, our draft alone will not resolve all our problems. If we can't negotiate reasonable deals for our own guys, then we must choose who to keep, based on who is available for us to replace with. From a general viewpoint, I would breakdown our options:

1. Offensive line or defensive line: Long or Starks.
    2. Reciever or Cornerback: Hartline or Smith.
    3. Running back or TE: Bush or Fasano.

We probably can't and don't want to resign all of them, but we can't let them all walk either. I would base the decision on who is available prior to the draft, not after.

8. jared81

jared81 Banned Hammered

he wasnt one of the top qb's. payton manning and matt flynn just off the top of my head. henne was signed as a BACKUP to a terrible Blaine Gabbert. he is a backup qb and was never thought of as a starting qb in FA.

9. madmic21

madmic21 A True Fan

Ingenious... LOL

10. BC26

BC26 Active Member

Why give Long $10+ million? So what if it creates a hole. $10+ million can fill other holes. If we can fill two holes with that money and only create one hole at LT, then we are ahead of the game. Giving it all to Long only prevents us from being able to fill other needs.

11. The Omen

The Omen Well-Known Member

sure he was. He was a starting QB that hit FA. I didn't say he was THEE top Qb but he was one of the QB's to hit the market that got interest around the league. The OP's originial post was about teams interested in our FA from the Ireland era, Henne was one of those players.

Jason Campbell and Kyle Orton were others. Matt Flynne on the other hand only got play from 2 teams, we were one of them only because of the familiarity we had with him but we offered him only what we thought he was worth, Seattle gave him close to what he wanted... How exactly did that work out for them??? Not to mention how did Henne work out for Jax? He was a better QB then Gabert was, that's for sure, even though he was brought in as a back up