More Dolphins praise from Trent Dilfer | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More Dolphins praise from Trent Dilfer

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...o-49ers-turnaround-should-provide-hope/nTQhp/

“I like what the Dolphins are doing. I’m a big outsider fan of the Dolphins,” said former Super Bowl-winning quarterback Trent Dilfer, now an ESPN analyst who lives in the Bay Area. “I think Ireland’s done a better job, and I really like (Joe) Philbin, I think he’s a fantastic coach.”

“They’re not nearly as quick a turnaround as maybe the Niners were, although you get the QB – and they hit on the QB – it makes it easier.”

Here is the rock star quote again with a little more added to it:
Tannehill, No. 8 overall pick this spring, won his job in training camp. Dilfer thinks Tannehill is the key to a turnaround.

“He’s a fantastic player. I think he’s going to be an absolute rock star in this league,” Dilfer said. “When you have a quarterback like they have in Tannehill, they can mask some flaws for a while while you rebuild the roster.”

Here is a quote from Kim Bokamper:
Could the Dolphins – with a new coach and young quarterback of their own – duplicate the 49ers’ turnaround in a year or two?

“You look at those draft picks on that team, you go, ‘Wow, they’ve gotten a lot of big-time studs in the draft,’” said former Dolphins linebacker Kim Bokamper, now part of the radio broadcast team. “But look how long it took San Francisco to stockpile some of those guys. It’s not an overnight thing, but I think the Dolphins are well on their way.”

A theme I am going to bark about all the offseason is to get more athletic. Look for guards that can move and pull. Find a TE that can bust the seam. Have a vertical presence at receiver. Add a pass rusher opposite of Wake. Look for DB's that can run with receivers and have legit ball skills.

Perhaps some of my needs could be filled in house. However, FA will have to be used and this is the most crucial draft since 2005....and we know how Nicky Saban's inaugural draft ended up.

I say that in this thread because the physical trait of the team becoming more athletic will help develop RT even more. The Fins margin of error to win since the Parcells, Ireland and Sparano has always been so thin. The Fins need to become more athletic and hence more explosive.

We're a middle of the pack team with high draft picks and money to spend. The formula for success is there but We have to actually scoop up and develop talent as opposed to rack up busts.

Find a Jared Cook or Dustin Keller in FA or draft a Tyler Elfert or Zach Ertz and match them with Clay. Start making the opposition have issues defending OUR offense for once.

In the past few years only the Wildcat and Brandon Marshall did the opposition have to really fear something we had.

Next year, have a pair of athletic TE's to go with a vertical receiver mixed in with some strong intermediate route runners like the Fins have now in Bess and Hartline (if re-signed). If the O-line can be re-wired, I think RT has a chance to be a Joe Flacco-type QB.

Perhaps some of my needs could be filled in house. However, FA will have to be used and this is the most crucial draft since 2005....and we know how Nicky Saban's inaugural draft ended up.

You are spot on here, my friend. This is a very critical draft but the Dolphins absolutely must hit on at least one impact FA at WR, DE, or CB not already in the team and we must find depth for the OL in FA. Even with the wealth of picks, we must really hit on a FA or two to be truly competitive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You are spot on here, my friend. This is a very critical draft but the Dolphins absolutely must hit on at least one impact FA at WR, DE, or CB not already in the team and we must find depth for the OL in FA. Even with the wealth of picks, we must really hit on a FA or two to be truly competitive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You are right about being competitive, but also going back to the OP's post...these moves must be made to allow the 2012 1st round pick to find success. Success is ultimately winning, but that comes with time. However, next year, let's put him in a spot to flip his TD to Int ratio. Give him shot to get in the mid 80's of QBR. These things can be done for next year. Making sure Ryan Tannehill continues to improve is the most vital thing this organization faces.

Way, way to early to give up on Egnew.

We need oline protection for Tannehill, play makers at WR ,safety, and DB. and another pass rusher.

Find a Jared Cook or Dustin Keller in FA or draft a Tyler Elfert or Zach Ertz and match them with Clay. Start making the opposition have issues defending OUR offense for once.

In the past few years only the Wildcat and Brandon Marshall did the opposition have to really fear something we had.

Next year, have a pair of athletic TE's to go with a vertical receiver mixed in with some strong intermediate route runners like the Fins have now in Bess and Hartline (if re-signed). If the O-line can be re-wired, I think RT has a chance to be a Joe Flacco-type QB.

Joe flacco is terrible. RT has the potential to be much better

We're a middle of the pack team with high draft picks and money to spend. The formula for success is there but We have to actually scoop up and develop talent as opposed to rack up busts.

I was watching a football life with jimmie johnson this week and a lot of the media people accredited the turn around of the cowboys to the Herschal Walker trade where the Cowboys got some ungodly amount of draft picks for him. Jimmie made a point that some other team made a similar trade around that time too and they didn't turn around, it wasn't having all the picks that turned the cowboys around it was what they did with the picks.

Joe Flacco is terrible, eh? Joe Flacco has been a winning QB and has solid stats.

BTW, I think RT ends up where Flacco is...a mid 80's rating and a solid performer. What is wrong with that?

I needed to bump this thead...if Tannehill can become as good as Flacco...which I think he can, we will be happy for the next decade.

Back
Top Bottom