More Dolphins praise from Trent Dilfer

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Nublar7, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...o-49ers-turnaround-should-provide-hope/nTQhp/

Here is the rock star quote again with a little more added to it:
    Here is a quote from Kim Bokamper:

2. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

A theme I am going to bark about all the offseason is to get more athletic. Look for guards that can move and pull. Find a TE that can bust the seam. Have a vertical presence at receiver. Add a pass rusher opposite of Wake. Look for DB's that can run with receivers and have legit ball skills.

Perhaps some of my needs could be filled in house. However, FA will have to be used and this is the most crucial draft since 2005....and we know how Nicky Saban's inaugural draft ended up.

I say that in this thread because the physical trait of the team becoming more athletic will help develop RT even more. The Fins margin of error to win since the Parcells, Ireland and Sparano has always been so thin. The Fins need to become more athletic and hence more explosive.

3. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

We're a middle of the pack team with high draft picks and money to spend. The formula for success is there but We have to actually scoop up and develop talent as opposed to rack up busts.

4. Hayden Fox

Find a Jared Cook or Dustin Keller in FA or draft a Tyler Elfert or Zach Ertz and match them with Clay. Start making the opposition have issues defending OUR offense for once.

In the past few years only the Wildcat and Brandon Marshall did the opposition have to really fear something we had.

Next year, have a pair of athletic TE's to go with a vertical receiver mixed in with some strong intermediate route runners like the Fins have now in Bess and Hartline (if re-signed). If the O-line can be re-wired, I think RT has a chance to be a Joe Flacco-type QB.

5. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

You are spot on here, my friend. This is a very critical draft but the Dolphins absolutely must hit on at least one impact FA at WR, DE, or CB not already in the team and we must find depth for the OL in FA. Even with the wealth of picks, we must really hit on a FA or two to be truly competitive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

6. Hayden Fox

You are right about being competitive, but also going back to the OP's post...these moves must be made to allow the 2012 1st round pick to find success. Success is ultimately winning, but that comes with time. However, next year, let's put him in a spot to flip his TD to Int ratio. Give him shot to get in the mid 80's of QBR. These things can be done for next year. Making sure Ryan Tannehill continues to improve is the most vital thing this organization faces.

7. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Way, way to early to give up on Egnew.

8. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

We need oline protection for Tannehill, play makers at WR ,safety, and DB. and another pass rusher.

9. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Has he played at all this season?

10. phinfan1983

phinfan1983 Well-Known Member

We also need speed at LB.

11. chrispepper

chrispepper Well-Known Member

Joe flacco is terrible. RT has the potential to be much better

12. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I was watching a football life with jimmie johnson this week and a lot of the media people accredited the turn around of the cowboys to the Herschal Walker trade where the Cowboys got some ungodly amount of draft picks for him. Jimmie made a point that some other team made a similar trade around that time too and they didn't turn around, it wasn't having all the picks that turned the cowboys around it was what they did with the picks.

13. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Egnew can be ready to dress when Fasano retires.

14. Hayden Fox

Joe Flacco is terrible, eh? Joe Flacco has been a winning QB and has solid stats.

BTW, I think RT ends up where Flacco is...a mid 80's rating and a solid performer. What is wrong with that?

15. Hayden Fox

I needed to bump this thead...if Tannehill can become as good as Flacco...which I think he can, we will be happy for the next decade.

16. Nectarios

Nectarios Well-Known Member

flaco is an average to good QB as we saw today. the difference is he can throw it up there and he has the receivers that can go up, be physical and get the ball.

17. Hayden Fox

Stop it. He was money today and model for RT.

18. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

Why because he was a rook? His OC wanted to cut him before the season began (at least according to what Sherman said on Hard Knocks), and there have been numerous complaints from teammates about him not being "tough" (actually I believe he was referred to as a *****). Yeah, give him a chance to compete next year during training camp/preseason but I don't expect this waste of a pick to make the team. A lot of us thought it was a terrible pick last year, and by all accounts it was - however one pick does not mean it was a horrible draft so please don't think I'm saying that, I just think this guy is an absolute waste and his roster spot should be spent on someone better.

19. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

everyone is a critic. Flacco threw 3 TDs against the pats, mistake free football and they are in the super bowl. what's not to like?

20. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Thanks Bro.

21. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

EXACTLY. Flacco is 100% better than anything we had since Marino (I'm not counting RT right now because well we'll see). If we had been able to trade down that draft I suspect we would've ended up with him instead of Chump Henne, but that's the way the cookie crumbles (or we could've taken Matty Ice #1 overall for you WV).

22. Hayden Fox

I bump the thread to say "I told you so", but also as a reminder that our guy can be like Joe Flacco over time.

23. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

Flacco had several passes, two of them touchdowns, that were both difficult and perfectly executed. If Tannehill could become like Flacco + Tannehill's running ability? Holy ****.

We don't need any LB help. We have terrific LBs. We absolutely need more pass rush from the DE position. We need a top tier CB (and no, Vontae Davis would not have been that guy). We need a playmaker WR.

This is the draft for the DE pass rusher. It's SO loaded with talent I'd be stunned if we didn't take 2 of them in the first 4 rounds. Grab a guy high, then grab a pure athlete project type guy later. I can think of FOUR defensive ends in this draft I'd kill to have Miami draft. That's so rare, so unheard of coming into a draft, that I can't see Ireland ignoring those odds.

Personally? I want the WR from free agency. I want Wallace, bad. I'll be happy with Jennings. Jennings + Hartline + Bess + 1st/2nd rd draft pick + Matthews. That's a WR corps I can get behind.

Re-sign your key guys (Starks, Hartline, Bush, Smith, Jones)
    Cut the dead weight - Marshall, Incognito, D. Thomas.
    Bring in your key FA guys - Martellus Bennett, Sebastian Vollmer, Greg Jennings (realistically. I'd much rather Wallace, as I said, but hey.)

Then you draft pure BPA. Straight up BPA. You can never go wrong going after the very best players available. You can go in the style of the Giants and draft any and all positions, or you can go the Patriots way. Go into the draft with your top 4 positions, and then draft from there. Granted, we'd likely end up with like 3 DEs and a TE but I'm okay with that. You see a guy fall to #9 that you sincerely feel is a top 3 player in the league (ie Jarvis Jones, Mingo, whoever)? Trade up and grab him. Do whatever the **** you want. I want you to grab me the most talent from this draft that you can possibly consider.

BRING ME VALUE, JEFF. Last year, you demonstrated to me that you've got the eye for it. Miller, Martin, Matthews, Kaddu. All were amazing value picks, and picks that I sincerely think will contribute to a winning Dolphins team.

I'm so excited for this off-season I feel like a kid on christmas. I'm not short sighted either. You don't like someone there @ #40, you have guys all rated in the late 40s-early 50s range? A team like San Diego calls saying "You can have our #1 next year, we need to go grab player X @ #40. We'll throw in our 3rd rounder as well"

I'm okay with that.

24. Kevlared

Kevlared Well-Known Member

i want him to be wayyyyyyy better than flacco. flacco is above average IMO, but not in the top tier of QB.

25. Fin Fan in Cali

Well Flacco and his team are going to the super bowl. Flacco has grown and matured and I enjoy watching him play.

26. Hayden Fox

It takes time to develop a QB. We need to patient with Tannehill.

27. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

I remember watching Flacco drop a football in a bucket from 50 yards in that QB Challenge show. I was sold and knew he'd be a solid QB from that point on.

Biggest arm in that draft:

[youtube]1fa_GrbdcjY[/youtube]

28. hoops

hoops exited stage left

tannehill will be fine...joe flacco is a legit nfl qb who the ravens will pay damn well and deserves it...like top 8 qb money...he has a little too much check down in him at times but he'll place balls in areas that pretty much no other qbs can at times...

the hate on joe flacco i have read on here at times is laughable

29. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Give Tannehill 2 TE's who can cause mismatches for him, and I think we might just have something. Fasano, wouldn't have started for none of these playoff teams, and he shouldn't be the answer moving forward. When any of these playoff QB's needed a play when in trouble, they look for their TE's. Fasano isn't that type of player, never has been, never will be.

30. Fin Fan in Cali

Respectfully disagree bro since you are going to bring up this same old argument. It seems this is all you talk about is how Fasano sucks. resign him and bring in a number 1 TE and then sit back and watch the great things that happen. Bro there are other positions on this team to complain about. Bring something new please.:up:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  31. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

In FA, go after WR, OG, and S. Get three real starters out of FA. The rest fill with the draft.

32. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

How...? Tannehill's skill set doesn't slightly resemble Flacco's...have you seen Joe Flacco's mobility? He is not an athletic QB like Tannehill. They're two different types.

33. Fin Fan in Cali

It is too early to make that statement bro. Let's see in 2013 if that statement still holds any water. I think Ryan get's better and the support around get's better as well.

34. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

We need Mike Wallace, bad. Wallace can be to Tannehill what Torrey Smith is for Flacco.

35. hoops

hoops exited stage left

it' not too early to say athletically ryan tannehills an entirely different level than joe flacco...what flacco has which sets him apart from many nfl qbs is terrific vertical accuracy and the ability to throw the ball outside the numbers down the field with spot on placement...he'll throw at least 3 balls a game down the field outside the #'s that leave you saying wow

36. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

In regards to athletic ability? It's hands down Tannehill...you can't teach athletics (to a certain point) and he is already beyond that. If you're referring to being a pocket passer, than obviously the verdict is still out there. I'd expect him to be better than Flacco IMO.

37. Digital

Digital Starter

I'm quite happy with Tannehill. The biggest things for a QB are accuracy and decision making. His accuracy is stellar. I think he is probably the most accurate rookie QB, which makes me very excited for the Dolphins future. By accuracy, I mean he places the ball exactly where he intends to place it ... regardless of whether it is caught or not. Sometimes that means throwing the ball away to avoid a sack. Numbers don't really tell the whole story with accuracy, but once we surround him with some more talent, I think those numbers will reflect his accuracy as well.

His decision making is pretty good for a rookie and much better than I expected, but that's an area that can still use some improvement IMHO. Given that he was less experienced coming in, I was very impressed with where he was and how he progressed.

Going forward, hard work, a sharp mind, and a drive to succeed will serve him well. He still needs to learn some of the tricks of the trade like looking off the safety, extending the play, giving a hard snap count, etc., but he has all of the mental and physical skills. His future and ours looks bright.

38. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

I actually think his accuracy was a problem at times last year. Sailed way too many passes.

39. Digital

Digital Starter

What I consistently saw was him putting the ball where only his WR or nobody could get it. I didn't see many times where the ball sailed on him. The deep throws that he missed--and he missed several-- were mostly of the type where the WR is asked to run under the throw ... but none of our WR's really has great speed. He did overthrow Hartline a couple of times, but almost always in exactly the spot where only the WR could get it.

By contrast, I saw a lot of passes from Luck, RGIII and Wilson that were in the right zip code but really required the WR to adjust considerably and make the catch. They made a lot of great throws too, but they were eratic at times as well. One pass would be ahead of the WR, and the next behind, and even if both were caught, neither was accurately delivered. This isn't a knock on them, rather I think its a testament to Tannehill honestly. Once we have WR's and TE's that offer a little more I think Tannehill can make our offense really hum.

Hartline had a career year because he played well, but also because after Hartline and Bess, we didn't have any reliable WR's. Tannehill routinely delivered the ball to Hartline and Fasano when they didn't really create enough separation ... but that was the best separation any of our WR's could get on the play. Tannehill played with the least margin for error of any of the rookie QB's by far, but he consistently put the ball into very tight windows. All the time? Definitely not, but he was extremely good at it IMHO.

Watching Rodgers, Brady and Manning is obviously in a different league from any of the rookies, and not really a fair comparison. But, amongst the rookie and 2nd year QB's, Tannehill was the one who stood out at putting the ball exactly where he wanted to put it. Sure, completing a bubble screen makes the stat sheet look awesome, but it requires speed WR's to make it work well enough to even make the gameplan ... and we had none. RGIII had the luxury of 4 speed WR's and made a killing using the bubble screen. Every one of the rookie QB's had WR's and/or TE's that created separation better than our WR + TE receiving corps. Yet, Tannehill didn't throw too many INT's really.

In his first game he had 3 INT's, but one was from Naanee giving up on the route ... that's not an inaccurate pass, it's a bad decision and horrible WR play. His other two INT's were batted at the line of scrimmage, and JJ Watt did that to a lot of QB's. Tannehill's INT in the first Jets game was a bad decision. I remember one INT that hit Fasano in the chest that was a fantastic throw while Fasano was closely covered ... but it bounced off of Fasano's chest into the defender's hands because Fasano never really created any separation. Watching Andrew Luck play--and I thought Luck was excellent overall--I saw a lot of INT's and a ton of should-be INT's that were dropped. Heck, in our game against him Sean Smith dropped a pass that was harder to drop than catch, and Dansby dropped a sure pick six that couldn't have hit him more perfectly in the hands. Tannehill didn't throw too many interceptable balls, and very few INT's were dropped unfortunately, LOL.

We should get 3 or 4 new pass catchers this offseason between the FA's and draftees at WR and TE. It may take a while for some of them to adapt to the NFL and build chemistry, but I think we should have at least 1 good target to add to our decent duo of Hartline at flanker and Bess in the slot. At least 1 of our new players will be a deep threat split end to push back the safety and give tannehill a WR that can create separation. So I'm expecting both Tannehill and our offense to improve noticably next season. Fingers crossed.

40. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Flacco has very low interception percentage and that serves the Ravens well in the playoffs. They simply don't give away playoff games via turnovers.

Every year Flacco is remarkably consistent, throwing roughly 500-540 times and with only 10 or 12 interceptions. His interception rate of slightly above 2% is one of the best in league history. Nowadays he transfers that to the postseason, with only 2 interceptions in his last 7 playoff games.

He makes huge plays down the field and has excellent touch. Frankly, the Ravens only get in trouble when they don't trust him or when they run stupid plays. Tonight they tried the silly out patterns several times with zero success. And I screamed when they lined up in a bunch formation on 3rd and medium. The Patriots are terrific at defending the bunch look. I don't know how many times they have to demonstrate that before the opposition catches on.

Tannehill at this point certainly isn't capable of what Flacco managed in the second half, abusing the shotgun and with consistent success. He's a bounce and fire guy out of stretch play action, with moderate ability to vary pace and loft. In that regard -- altering trajectory and pace to fit the situation -- he's not in Flacco's class, not even close.