Previous
4 of 13​
Next

[h=2]Cordarrelle Patterson, Wide Receiver, Tennessee[/h]
hires154481825_display_image-1.jpg

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Label: Raw
Fact or Fiction: Fiction
Oftentimes, players are considered boom-or-bust prospects because they are labeled raw. No prospect may fit that profile more than Cordarrelle Patterson this year.
As good as Patterson looked this past season, people still consider him one of the rawest players in this year's draft. This is likely due to the fact that he only played one season at the University of Tennessee (he was a JUCO transfer).
However, those who have actually watched Patterson play have seen a player who is ready to walk in from day one and produce in the NFL. Not only can Patterson make plays vertically down the field, but he also has the agility and quickness to pick up huge chunks of yards after the catch.
[FONT=Droid Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Now there are still some areas of his game that could use improvement, but Patterson is far from being a raw prospect. Look for him to contribute right away in this league.[/FONT]

[FONT=Droid Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Looks like people are watching more tape and realizing that this kids isn't as raw as people said.. We may have to trade up if we want him.. But I will tell you this.. If Patterson is that Special . I would go get him.. Just my opinion.. Go Fins..[/FONT]

I think it's true that he's not as raw as many people say he is...but at the same time, he IS still raw from the standpoint of reading leverage on the run, making adjustments, and being consistent with his routes. He's raw in that regard even relative to other draft prospects.

His catching technique isn't nearly as raw as people say. And his hand use on the route actually seems pretty advanced. The route tree he ran was also not nearly as limited as some people claim. Also, considering this was his first year at Tennessee, and he got there a month later than everyone else, the range of things he did there was very impressive. He ran a lot of intermediate level routes. He ran reverses from an on the line position. He ran fly sweeps. He ran the ball from a tailback position in the backfield. He even ran pass-option plays. I would swear that big touchdown run against Georgia was actually a pass-option play, he just pulled the football down and ran with it instead of passing it, and got a touchdown. He threw a 28 yard completion to Mychal Rivera in the Missouri game. Add onto all that his kick return job he had the whole year, and then later in the year they put him on punt return duty and he scored a touchdown that way.

it's nitpicking, but I tend to discount his return ability. If we take this guy at 12, he is going to be a big part of the pass game and I can't imagine the staff risking injury to him by having him return kicks and punts as well.

for one we have thigpen who does a pretty decent job in that regard, and for two he's going to be too important to the offense.

I'm not comparing patterson to ginn or hester, but those guys who return kicks and are part of the offense are more kick returners than offensive weapons and I dont think that would be the case for patterson. ginn and hester are small parts of their offense, and I think patterson would have a much bigger role than either of them and thus probably not see much return responsibility... therefore, while it's nice he's good at, I really don't pay much attention to it I guess.

he's definately a target at 12 though... if he goes top 11, we will have another great prospect sliding to us, so I guess it's kind of a win win either way.

The fact that Miami already has a return man does detract from Cordarrelle Patterson's total value to the team. That's very true.

What is also very true is that you're not sniffing around a guy at 12 overall because you like what he gives you on returns. It's a drop in the bucket compared with the value of the resource you'd be expending by making him the 12 overall pick. I think we all learned that lesson from the past. And so I don't think the presence of a return man on the roster really changes the question for Miami on Patterson at 12. If Miami would've considered it without Thigpen on roster, they should still be considering it even with Thigpen on roster, IMO. On the other hand there's a possibility that the Dolphins were not nor should not consider Patterson at 12 overall, and that would also be the case whether Thigpen was here or not.

yea I agree with you. I was more inferring that I discount his return skills based on me wanting him heavily involved in the offensive plan, moreso than any other return man we have on the team.

It's great that patterson returns the way he does, but I am really focusing more on his skills as a 30 play or more part of the offense, and IMO, if I have a guy who is that important to the offense I dont care what he does from a return standpoint, because he is far too important to my offense for me to put him back there returning kicks that is all.

I'd love to see patterson fall to us at 12. We'd have a lot of options if he did... with the steam he is going to generate from the combine, I'm not sure he will last until pick 12 though.

there is no guy getting more hype than this guy, and nobody has this guy going to any other team. if he were that special, other teams would buy in. so far,not seeing his name atached to any other top 15 team.

but hey, keep pushin cus lord knows we dont have randy mueller and cameron.

A lot of you guys need to do a little research. Patterson is ok ...but I'm here to tell you the hot wide out, and let's hope he's there at 12, is Hopkins. Trust me its Hopkins we want. Higher skill set, better hands, more fluid and awesome after the catch.

From HTC 1 X

there is no guy getting more hype than this guy, and nobody has this guy going to any other team. if he were that special, other teams would buy in. so far,not seeing his name atached to any other top 15 team.

Sounds a lot like the Tannehill situation last season and that I doubt we'd reverse that decision.

I'm a big Patterson fan. I still believe Mike Wallace will be signed as a FA. That being, said I see absolutely no way Ireland turns around and drafts a WR with the first pick.

How about his ex team mate Da'Rick Rogers in a later round. Guy was a stud at TEnn as a sophmore but got booted from team for the weed.

If he runs in the 4.3s then he may get drafted higher. If we sign Mike Wallace, dont see this draft pick happening although Ireland would love to use Patterson as a big smokescreen.

You keep saying that, but it is untrue in the most literal sense of the word.

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

A lot of you guys need to do a little research. Patterson is ok ...but I'm here to tell you the hot wide out, and let's hope he's there at 12, is Hopkins. Trust me its Hopkins we want. Higher skill set, better hands, more fluid and awesome after the catch.

From HTC 1 X

Yes I'm sure I only disagree with you because I haven't done enough research. That's definitely the problem.

/sarcasm

I think lots of people are underestimating two things with Cordarrelle Patterson because of his lack of hype during his one major college season. 1) Natural receiver. 2) Quick learner.

When you watch Patterson he body catches, yes, but he does it very very smoothly. You can tell the coaching staff started the process of converting him to a hands snatcher and despite changing his technique on the fly, he does it effortlessly. He concentrates on the catch first and secures the ball before running. He has soft and strong hands--he is not a bobbler, nor a droppsy, nor an alligator-arm, nor a collision fumbler. The kid naturally receives the ball and hangs onto it. Just about the only things I'd say he needs to further develop are becoming fully a hands snatcher, high-pointing the ball, and more practice in traffic, but he has all of those natural skills too. His hips are very good, his cuts are unbelievably powerful and sudden, he creates separation at will and faster than a hiccup. Getting open comes naturally to him, catching the ball comes naturally to him, running after the catch comes naturally to him, arm-fighting comes naturally to him. Nothing throws off his concentration. All of the things a receiver needs to do come naturally to him, including physical contact.

Tennessee routinely gets some of the best WR recruits in the country. It's no coincidence that Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers were there before Patterson arrived or that Patterson chose to go there. They run a demanding pro-style vertical passing game that requires a lot out of their WR's including downfield blocking, creating large amounts of late separation, finding holes in zones and consistently beating single coverage. He had a couple of well publicised times where he ran the wrong route, but essentially he was a rookie, and really did a good job of reading and running his routes. UT threw a lot of different learning opportunities at him, including a full route tree, pitches in the backfield, option pass, crossing routes, deep outs, fades, etc. He learned all that stuff quickly. He humbly downplayed learning all of that and self-effacingly acted like he was just starting to learn it all. Yes, he has an ego ... which one or two good WR's have had in the past as well. But, he'll be the first to sing the praises of his teammates and everyone I've heard speak about Patterson from the UT program--coaches and players--says he works hard and has come a long way in a short period of time. Everything I see says he is dedicated to learning. I'm already convinced of his physical skills, so if he has that drive to improve and is willingly listening and incorporating his coaches teachings ... I'm on board.

If this kid turns into Terrell Owens with a better attitude, I don't think anyone will be surprised. If he had come straight from High School to UT and played only one season as a redshirt freshman, everyone would have known his name and been singing his praises. I think this is the case of people being too scared about him coming from virtually nowhere and being too scared of the Juco stuff. He doesn't appear to have off-field red flags, he appears to be learning well and taking instruction well. He is a phenomenal prospect.

Back
Top Bottom