My Blueprint to an Immediate Offense Rivaling New England's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Blueprint to an Immediate Offense Rivaling New England's

AFCMiamiEast

Active Roster
Reaction score
If I am GM, this is my blueprint and the guide I follow to create a respectable offense in Miami. Another FinHeaven poster, JMarino, has stated in a recent thread that the reason the Patriots stretch the field so well is because of their plethora of play makers. This is obvious, but what he further states is the addition of Brandon Marshall, and what he did for Miami and Chicago. Both franchises and their fans believed Marshall alone was the key to a top offense, and this is extremely flawed. Both Miami and Chicago have little, to no play makers behind Marshall to stretch the field with. Opposing defenses had no one else to respect on the field besides Marshall, and this limited his production, as well as the offense. The Patriots for example, have proven play makers all over the field that demand the defense's attention, and leave little room for double teams. We need Miami to follow the same suit in order to knock of Brady and Belichick's Patriots. Here is how we start.

In the 2013 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins trade down from their 12th pick in a trade to gain an additional 2nd rounder, sliding down to the 20-25 range. With their 1st round pick, they select Justin Hunter out of Tennessee. This kid has all the tools of an Olympic athlete, and I believe will leave an AJ Green type impact on an NFL offense in just year 2. The kid is an absolute stud, and will excel in everything the NFL combine throws at him. Everything. With the 1st round trade, we would gain our third 2nd round pick...giving us the advantage of selecting six players in the top 90 selections, an NFL best. With Miami choosing THREE times in the 2nd round, WR Robert Woods out of USC should be available with their 1st 2nd round selection. In selecting another top WR prospect in Woods, the Dolphins get a Mike Wallace type burner, and legitimate deep threat down field.

We all know we need to go hard in adding Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe in free agency, giving us yet another PROVEN play maker on offense for Ryan Tannehill. Let's say we add Jennings as he is clearly a Philbin guy. This leaves us with an offensive line up consisting of Greg Jennings, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, an elite slot receiver in Davone Bess, and Reggie Bush for Tannehill to throw to. Hunter and Woods are obviously un proven at an NFL level going into the draft, but look these two up and tell me they do not have tremendous upside. I am drooling over the thought of this line up for Tannehill, and everyone knows this current offensive roster is devoid of play making talent.

The defense is solid, and has kept us in all but 2-3 games this season, all we needed was the offense to step up in its part, but it succeeded less than even 50% of the time and amounted to a total of 7 wins. The offense is the biggest issue by far, not the defense. We can line up a pass rusher opposite of Wake in the 2nd round, this is an extremely DE heavy draft and we do not have to use our 12th pick on the position. Werner will without a doubt be gone by then, however Barkevious Mingo may be on the board by our 12th pick, but racking up on picks for round 2 can prove a pass rusher of near equal upside as Mingo.

Elite offenses like New England have Gronkowski, Hernandez, Woodhead, Welker, and Ridley that demand attention and respect from opposing defenses, and all FIVE are homerun threats if not double covered in open field. We have one player on this roster who we can boast the same about, and that is Reggie Bush to no surprise. I would have little faith in Hartline, Bess, Moore, Matthews in shaking any defender downfield for the score. That is the different between New England, and Miami on offense. Tom Brady obviously leaves tremendous impact, but it finally looks like we have our QB, and we cannot waste time in supplying him play makers. That was Marino's downfall in his ringless career, devoid of a running game. The defense is near in place, but with additions of Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, and a Greg Jennings, Tannehill would have no excuse in a failed offense. The same goes to Mike Sherman.

Final Line-Ups:

Miami Dolphins: Greg Jennings/Mike Wallace - Reggie Bush - Justin Hunter - Robert Woods - Davone Bess - Brian Hartline - Lamar Miller

New England Patriots - Wes Welker - Danny Woodhead - Stevan Ridley - Rob Gronkowski - Aaron Hernandez - Deion Branch

Thoughts?

Edit: I did not proof read my post before submitting but have wanted to sign Jared Cook from Tennessee as my primary TE target. In free agency, Dustin Keller from the NYJ would be my close alternative. However, if somehow Zach Ertz from Stanford fell down to one of our slots in the 2nd round, I would jump on him even more so than Robert Woods, as he would likely still be around for our later 2nd round pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are in luck my friend. I work for Stephen Ross. I'm going to forward this post to him. Wait by the phone son.

If I am GM, this is my blueprint and the guide I follow to create a respectable offense in Miami. Another FinHeaven poster, JMarino, has stated in a recent thread that the reason the Patriots stretch the field so well is because of their plethora of play makers. This is obvious, but what he further states is the addition of Brandon Marshall, and what he did for Miami and Chicago. Both franchises and their fans believed Marshall alone was the key to a top offense, and this is extremely flawed. Both Miami and Chicago have little, to no play makers behind Marshall to stretch the field with. Opposing defenses had no one else to respect on the field besides Marshall, and this limited his production, as well as the offense. The Patriots for example, have proven play makers all over the field that demand the defense's attention, and leave little room for double teams. We need Miami to follow the same suit in order to knock of Brady and Belichick's Patriots. Here is how we start.

In the 2013 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins trade down from their 12th pick in a trade to gain an additional 2nd rounder, sliding down to the 20-25 range. With their 1st round pick, they select Justin Hunter out of Tennessee. This kid has all the tools of an Olympic athlete, and I believe will leave an AJ Green type impact on an NFL offense in just year 2. The kid is an absolute stud, and will excel in everything the NFL combine throws at him. Everything. With the 1st round trade, we would gain our third 2nd round pick...giving us the advantage of selecting six players in the top 90 selections, an NFL best. With Miami choosing THREE times in the 2nd round, WR Robert Woods out of USC should be available with their 1st 2nd round selection. In selecting another top WR prospect in Woods, the Dolphins get a Mike Wallace type burner, and legitimate deep threat down field.

We all know we need to go hard in adding Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe in free agency, giving us yet another PROVEN play maker on offense for Ryan Tannehill. Let's say we add Jennings as he is clearly a Philbin guy. This leaves us with an offensive line up consisting of Greg Jennings, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, an elite slot receiver in Davone Bess, and Reggie Bush for Tannehill to throw to. Hunter and Woods are obviously un proven at an NFL level going into the draft, but look these two up and tell me they do not have tremendous upside. I am drooling over the thought of this line up for Tannehill, and everyone knows this current offensive roster is devoid of play making talent.

The defense is solid, and has kept us in all but 2-3 games this season, all we needed was the offense to step up in its part, but it succeeded less than even 50% of the time and amounted to a total of 7 wins. The offense is the biggest issue by far, not the defense. We can line up a pass rusher opposite of Wake in the 2nd round, this is an extremely DE heavy draft and we do not have to use our 12th pick on the position. Werner will without a doubt be gone by then, however Barkevious Mingo may be on the board by our 12th pick, but racking up on picks for round 2 can prove a pass rusher of near equal upside as Mingo.

Elite offenses like New England have Gronkowski, Hernandez, Woodhead, Welker, and Ridley that demand attention and respect from opposing defenses, and all FIVE are homerun threats if not double covered in open field. We have one player on this roster who we can boast the same about, and that is Reggie Bush to no surprise. I would have little faith in Hartline, Bess, Moore, Matthews in shaking any defender downfield for the score. That is the different between New England, and Miami on offense. Tom Brady obviously leaves tremendous impact, but it finally looks like we have our QB, and we cannot waste time in supplying him play makers. That was Marino's downfall in his ringless career, devoid of a running game. The defense is near in place, but with additions of Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, and a Greg Jennings, Tannehill would have no excuse in a failed offense. The same goes to Mike Sherman.

Final Line-Ups:

Miami Dolphins: Greg Jennings/Mike Wallace - Reggie Bush - Justin Hunter - Robert Woods - Davone Bess - Brian Hartline - Lamar Miller

New England Patriots - Wes Welker - Danny Woodhead - Stevan Ridley - Rob Gronkowski - Aaron Hernandez - Deion Branch

Thoughts?

One way to score like NE is to get the sort of opportunities as NE ie. create turnovers. Who leads in turnover margin? NE. In fact 10 of the top 11 teams in to margin are in the playoffs.

I agree with this, but I would take a guy like Ertz in the 2nd, and then add Woods or Bailey, both will probably be available in our 2nd pick...or 3rd if we trade back like I hope we do. It would be my dream for Tannehill to have 2 stud rookie WR's along with a guy like Jennings..I would also keep Hartline because he consistently makes those sideline catches, and he gained 1,000 yards with all the focus on him, imagine how much easier his job will be next year.

WR: Jennings, Hunter, Woods/Bailey, Hartline, Bess....and then we even have other guys like Matthews and Binns. Never bad to have even more weapons.

The Patriots show the importance of using TE's....so having Ertz is yet another threat, and I wouldn't be opposed to signing a guy like Cook, Keller, or Finley as a second TE option. The offense will be unstoppable, and it will show if Tannehill is good or not. If he can't succeed with all those weapons, then he might be the problem. I have all the confidence in the world that he will become an animal when he gets those weapons.

On top of that, we would still have Reggie Bush and Lamar Miller as passing options. I just hope we learn to use screens, because I saw various teams destroy us with it, along with quick slants.

Well for starters Tannehill has to first be as good as Brady which means he is going to have to go into legendary status.

Baby steps first though, Tannehill needs to be comfortable throwing down the middle like Brady is.

Great post, great ideas.Personally,i grab Jennings great hands and route runner able to teach our youngsters yet contribute greatly.first rd. i pick Hunters teamate C.Patterson all the tools,speed size,,yac he is just raw with route running which is where Jennings comes in.2nd rd Ertz the t.e. from Stanford for our seam threat then in 4th or 5th R.SWOPES from Texas a-m

Like the aggressive thinking to get playmakers. IMO our FO needs to be this way. The only thing I would ad is two good TE's, one from FAand one from the draft. Then we have the WR's you suggested and upgrades for Tanney at TE ... Like NE.

Like the aggressive thinking to get playmakers. IMO our FO needs to be this way. The only thing I would ad is two good TE's, one from FAand one from the draft. Then we have the WR's you suggested and upgrades for Tanney at TE ... Like NE.

Exactly. I cannot go and edit my post as I forgot the TE side of it all (an error is not letting me edit for some reason) but I agree. I was looking at stats and Fasano had 41 receptions, and not a single drop. That is the best from any TE in five years...however, he is not one with speed that can create separation downfield and this is obvious. Hopefully we can hit on an athletic, seam threat TE with one of our 2nds.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

You are in luck my friend. I work for Stephen Ross. I'm going to forward this post to him. Wait by the phone son.

Text makes it hard to understand if you're being sarcastic, or siding with the idea lol.

"Wait by the phone son." should be a dead give away that he is being sarcastic.

Exactly. I cannot go and edit my post as I forgot the TE side of it all (an error is not letting me edit for some reason) but I agree. I was looking at stats and Fasano had 41 receptions, and not a single drop. That is the best from any TE in five years...however, he is not one with speed that can create separation downfield and this is obvious. Hopefully we can hit on an athletic, seam threat TE with one of our 2nds.
---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Text makes it hard to understand if you're being sarcastic, or siding with the idea lol.

Hmmmm, I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I remember Fasano dropping a crucial 3rd down ball at some point this year. Anyone else remember? Doesnt matter much, I love Fasano, dude makes some amazing grabs for someone his size. When we get a deep threat and Tanny becomes more comfortbale throwing down the middle Fasnao should do very well in Miami. He could be huge next year. Clay on the other hand looked bad pretty much all year, he made some horrible missed blocks, that got Tanny creamed, he dropped balls all year, couldn't seem to get open consistently. He may be riding the bench if we pick up a TE in the draft, which I would be shocked if they didn't do. I'm betting last pick of rd 2.

We need tight end help as well.....

This was mainly a 1st round thread, but I'd go after a TE in free agency. Jared Cook is my primary target, but Dustin Keller is an obvious alternative. I honestly don't like this draft for tight ends, Tyler Eifert doesn't even impress me all that much and he is the top rated TE.

Great post, great ideas.Personally,i grab Jennings great hands and route runner able to teach our youngsters yet contribute greatly.first rd. i pick Hunters teamate C.Patterson all the tools,speed size,,yac he is just raw with route running which is where Jennings comes in.2nd rd Ertz the t.e. from Stanford for our seam threat then in 4th or 5th R.SWOPES from Texas a-m

Forget all this "teaching" bull****. I'd go after BOTH JENNINGS and WALLACE, and NOT to be teachers, either. That's why we have Coaches.

I'd grab a proven "burner" in the Draft. But NOT in the first Round. And that would be the only Pick I'd use on a WR. My WRs (6) would be JENNINGS, WALLACE, HARTLINE, BESS, "COLLEGE BURNER", and MATTHEWS/"best of the rest" not named MARLON MOORE. Finding a "diamond in the rough" would thus also be covered w/o having to make a tough decision.

The rest of my F/A acquisitions and players selected in the Draft would be CBs, Gs, and pass-rushers...UNLESS in the Draft, a certain MLB from ND should happen to fall to us. If so, HE is my 1st Round Pick, and I'd run a 100 M Olympic Gold Medal time up to GOODELL on the stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was mainly a 1st round thread, but I'd go after a TE in free agency. Jared Cook is my primary target, but Dustin Keller is an obvious alternative. I honestly don't like this draft for tight ends, Tyler Eifert doesn't even impress me all that much and he is the top rated TE.

That young man from STANFORD (forgot his name) is the best TE: his only problem is that he doesn't play for the #1 ranked team in the country.

Back
Top Bottom