My Draft Day Strategy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Draft Day Strategy

Todd347347

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Most people agree we need a franchise QB, but most disagree on how to accomplish this goal. This is what I would do:

1. I would trade down, not once but twice. That would leave us with a late 1st round pick(25+) and additional 3rd and 4th round picks. I do not have a vlaue chart so I am not sure what we would get moving down from 16.

2. At 25+ I would select whitehurst or croyle or whoever Saban & co think the number 4 QB is in the draft.

3. with an additional 2, 3, or 4 picks I would select in this order of priority:

LT
LB
CB
Safety
WR
DL

thoughts?

My thought would be...... Draft Forum.
Edit-As pointed out by another user that was a rather rude way of saying this is in the wrong forum. I apologize. For some reason it just grates on my nerves to find all these draft threads on the main page.

Maybe you should tell us who you plan on trading down with, and who that team plans on selecting when they move up. You must have a trade partner to trade down, and not many times do teams trade up from 25 to 16. The cost is huge for that big of jump in the first round. To go from 25 to 16 in the first round would cost that teams 1st round pick next year, or their 2nd round pick this year.

And yes.....draft forum!

Juan Cribbs said:
taking croyle or whitehurst in the first round would be a giant mistake.
I think his point may be to move down low enough in the 1st round, where you insure you get a guy like Whitehurst, who will go in the 2nd (and may not be there when we have our regular pick in the 2nd).Trading down can be a good strategy, if you turn the extra picks into good players. It can also lead to having a larger number of bad players, who just aren't going to contribute. When JJ did it in Miami, he failed miserably. He got a lot of later round guys, who all sucked. Sometimes, you have to pay the price and move up to get the stud you need.I would only do this, if I was convinced that Whitehurst (or Croyle) had a great shot at being the guy (not some some QB to try to develop).

Saban2005 said:
Most people agree we need a franchise QB, but most disagree on how to accomplish this goal. This is what I would do:

2. At 25+ I would select whitehurst or croyle or whoever Saban & co think the number 4 QB is in the draft.

3. with an additional 2, 3, or 4 picks I would select in this order of priority:

LT
LB
CB
Safety
WR
DL

thoughts?

a) can someone please explain to me what about their senior years (or years prior) would suggest that croyle or whitehurst are franchise qb's?
b) whatever they are, croyle and whitehurst are not first round qb's.

if we were to trade out of the 16 spot, down to 25 (approx), then used that pick to take one of the aforementioned qb prospects, much of the credibility saban established with last year's draft would probably be tossed out the window.

Marino420TD said:
I think his point may be to move down low enough in the 1st round, where you insure you get a guy like Whitehurst, who will go in the 2nd (and may not be there when we have our regular pick in the 2nd).Trading down can be a good strategy, if you turn the extra picks into good players. It can also lead to having a larger number of bad players, who just aren't going to contribute. When JJ did it in Miami, he failed miserably. He got a lot of later round guys, who all sucked. Sometimes, you have to pay the price and move up to get the stud you need.I would only do this, if I was convinced that Whitehurst (or Croyle) had a great shot at being the guy (not some some QB to try to develop).

i think it was his early picks who all sucked, the traded down picks in the 3rd to 5th round was players like madison, taylor, and zach that come to mind

should be i nthe draft forum but if we trade back we need to pluck up something different then croyle/jacobs/whitehurst/olsen.

All will be there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. If you see my mock in the draft forum I have us trading back to 30th and plucking up manny lawson a DE/OLB tweener from NCS that has a vert that is monsterous and is 6'5" 250+ and huge speed. He is basically a JT clone perfect for us and our speed outside rush :)

I also like Carpenter there in the 1st OLB Ohio State that is big, better coverage, worst rushing skills but solid player.

Lawson/JT OLB
Crowder/Zach ILB Pope/Spriggan as backups

good linebacker core to me

I agree that Croyle/Whitehurst are projects at best. One of the two will be available in the 2nd and maybe third. We need a young but experienced QB with some cahones. McCown is at the top of my list, followed by Simms or Ramsey. We already have a Jason Taylor so we don't have a dire need for another one. We NEED one interior offensive lineman, a corner (presuming Madison is released) an outside linebacker, a WR to develop and most of all a fat guy in the middle of our defense. All the great teams have great d-lineman. The crybaby can only play about 10 plays a game before he gives out and Traylor was solid, but he is old. Here is my humble opinion as to our plan: Keep Mcintosh, re-sign Shulters and release Madison. Spend your big free agent money on Hutchinson or Bentley to finish off the o-line. Draft the following: 1. DT Gabe Watson (He's big, real big) or Broderick Bunkley 2. OLB Thomas Howard/Ernie Sims 3. CB Alan Zemaitis/Ruben Houston 4. Hank Baskett/Anthony Mix As a footnote, Yeremiah Bell will become a superstar this season.

My strategy on draft day is going to revolve around some Corona's some chips and some chicken wings.

I might trade down to a Cheeseburger.

NPG said:
I agree that Croyle/Whitehurst are projects at best. One of the two will be available in the 2nd and maybe third. We need a young but experienced QB with some cahones. McCown is at the top of my list, followed by Simms or Ramsey. We already have a Jason Taylor so we don't have a dire need for another one. We NEED one interior offensive lineman, a corner (presuming Madison is released) an outside linebacker, a WR to develop and most of all a fat guy in the middle of our defense. All the great teams have great d-lineman. The crybaby can only play about 10 plays a game before he gives out and Traylor was solid, but he is old. Here is my humble opinion as to our plan: Keep Mcintosh, re-sign Shulters and release Madison. Spend your big free agent money on Hutchinson or Bentley to finish off the o-line. Draft the following: 1. DT Gabe Watson (He's big, real big) or Broderick Bunkley 2. OLB Thomas Howard/Ernie Sims 3. CB Alan Zemaitis/Ruben Houston 4. Hank Baskett/Anthony Mix As a footnote, Yeremiah Bell will become a superstar this season.

I agree with you up until the Croyle/Whitehurst I stay in PCola FL and it gave me the opportunity to view these player Croyle has a damn good arm but Whitehurst has his best days later during the week and out played Culter and Croyle...he will be my sleeper pick but Gabe Watson is a beast and if Sims is there at 2nd which I doubt snag him up.:dolphins:

I actually disagree. I am in favor of moving up, and every1 thinking we will select Cutler. We may well do so, if Saban really likes him that much, but we can also be in position at the 8 or 9 slot to pick up a guy like Hawk if he slips, Young if he slips or some1 else I might be leaving out... This is a top-heavy draft IMO, as opposed to last year which didnt have many top-flight future NFL superstars but terrific depth.

zachseau13 said:
My strategy on draft day is going to revolve around some Corona's some chips and some chicken wings.

That's what I'm talking about!:drinkers:

zachseau13 said:

great call on the corona..... much agreed

Back
Top Bottom