my dream off season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by joeylats, Jan 4, 2018.

1. joeylats

joeylats Well-Known Member

CUTS: Pouncey.Timmons,J.Thomas

FREE AGENCY:

1. Let Landry go,not paying 12-15 mil for slot receiver with selfish attitude
    2. Let J.James go J.Davis comes much cheaper
    3. Give Landrys money to A.Robinson from Jax a true no.1 receiver
    4. Sign Troy Niklas t.e. from AZ. under utilized in AZ they dont throw to tes,
    great blocker cheaper,younger more athletic Fasano

DRAFT:
    1.Q.Nelson
    2.M.Andrews te Oklahoma
    3.S.Hubbard de OHIO ST or L.Carter olb Georgia
    4.R.Ferguson qb Memphis
    4b. R.Penny rb San Diego ST.
    6. BPA
    7.BPA

Ray R and HeavenCent like this.
  2. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I'm sort of on the fence about Landry so I don't mind letting him walk, but I don't want to replace him with a WR coming off of an ACL tear who's really only had 1 good season, and is also going to want a ton of money.

Ray R likes this.
  3. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

???????????????????????

Your "dream off-season" starts with:

1. Let Landry go...

WOW.

4. joeylats

your right give a slot receiver 13 mil ,for 9 yds a catch.How many yards in penaltys,an embarassment to the team
    ,owner and fans.We need smart, agressive ,leaders on this team.I dont want selfish prima donnas.Hias antics are old
    once he signs a huge contract you think he will change? His future in Miami was in the balance and couldnt control himself.
    How many games has he won for us? Most of his stats are in garbage,prevent def. time game over. So ya my dream season starts
    with letting the team know we are done with the bs, and getting rid of Landry. Slots are a dime a dozen,you get a real tight end here his catches go
    down 50%.

Ray R, gofins60 and Awsi Dooger like this.
  5. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'm ok with Nikalas, but I would like to sign Crockett Gilmore as a cheap tight end and draft Goedert.

Instead of Ferguson I would like to draft either Mason Rudolph or Luke Fak if they fall.

There are literally a dozen routes the team can go to fill out the running back corp that could be effective and cost effective. Penny is one of 12 or 14 backs I would like to see in Miami from the draft.

And while I like Nelson and think he's going to be a stud from day one, I also like the idea of signing Xavier Sua-Filo in free agency and then drafting WIll Teller on day 3 from West Virginia at guard. Sua-FIlo, Davis, Teller, Asata and maybe even bring back Larsen would seend the team into training camp with a lot of guard depth. Pouncey and Brendle at center and James, Tunsil, Smith, Sterup at tackle would give Miami good line depth in camp as well.

Ray R likes this.
  6. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

My dream offseason... Fire Matt Burke!!!

DefensiveEnd76 and TannDaMan17 like this.
  7. joeylats

One last comment while im on my Landry tirade.What has 400 catches in 4 yrs brought the team?
    Wouldnt be nice to spread the ball out to a real t.e. or now that we have one a pass catching rb,
    all im saying is that money would be better spent shoring up defense or fixing oline.Not on a slot receiver OK now im done

8. jimlerario

jimlerario Well-Known Member

Allan Robinson was hurt all season and Jacksonville is doing just fine without him. Suffered ACL injury in week 1. No need for damaged goods.

His best year was in 2015, where he had crazy numbers but ended at 5-11. Stats can be deceiving on a bad team, as they get a lot more garbage time and defenses often play loose.

9. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

I'm down the middle on Jarvis. He does play well with Tannehill and he's a first down machine. But, if he demands a set amount, let him walk. Grant can fill in. Small quick and confident like a Welker in training.
    On your cuts, I'm down with Thomas leaving, as in tomorrow. Timmons can go but we need a replacement or he needs to stay. Pouncey I don't know about. If he can stay healthy, he's a good team leader and can still push people. I'm not going to be upset if he leaves, it's just that if he stays that's one less o line starter we need to go find.
    Graham may be our big offseason splash especially if Jarvis walks.

10. Phinsfan93

Phinsfan93 A True Fan

Mines is a bit similar:

1.Let Landry walk.
    2. Retain James at the right price.
    3. Sign Andrew Norwell to play OG
    4. Sign an established TE like Tyler Eifert.
    This sets our draft up to take BPA.

Draft
    1. Derwin James S
    2. Christian Kirk WR
    3. Lorenzo Carter DE/OLB
    4a. Sony Michel RB
    4b. Jamarco Jones OT

Ray R likes this.
  11. buffal0s0uljah

buffal0s0uljah Rookie

Sony Michel won't last till the 4th round. He'll be a 2nd-3rd rounder. Derwin James in the 1st I can get behind though.

terphin likes this.
  12. gregorygrant83

I'm not sure Sony goes in the 2nd, but I guess I could see the 3rd round. So many good backs it's going to be hard to forecast.

13. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

are we really worried about $10M-$15M for Landry after all the bad spending the team has done to other players? He's ben the heart and soul of this offense and because of the offensive limitations, has to catch the ball right after the LOC and run for a few yards after.He isn't able to drag across the middle, like in the games last year vs AZ and the NYJ, and take it far. There is no time. James, Thomas and Pouncey all will earn $22M next year if kept and don't have half the worth of Landry

NoblePhin likes this.
  14. Gofinyourself

Gofinyourself Active Member

Landry is not only a game changing receiver, he's arguably the best slot receiver in the game. 400 receptions has gotten us at least to 1 playoff appearance and several victories where he's been the deciding factor, whether it's a first downs, critical first downs, TD's, or when he's turning a 3 yard out into a 15 yard catch and run. He sparks the offense, gets the crowd going, and we all like watching him play. He takes this game very seriously and he's earned his big contract.

DolfanDonny and NoblePhin like this.
  15. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

tell me what Miami will hang their hat on in the passing game if he is gone?
    Parker and Carroo and Stills?
    This guy has made up the void of those three. In addition, if Miami had a real TE and decent WRs, you would see a better (stats) Landry. Miami's inability to move the ball, combined with bad qb's, has devalued Landry from a free agency standpoint, but ironically, his utilization is worth two WRs on this team, but now no one wants to pay LOL. Typical Miami

Elle Clouds likes this.
  16. gregorygrant83

The issue with Landry is if you pay him elite level money or you pay another slot receiver in the Cole Beasley mode 1/3 of the price are you going to see big difference on the score board or in the win column. If Landry only gives you one extra win then you pass if it's two or three games and you think that could be the difference in making the playoffs or not than you sign him. Now if I had a choice between Landry or say Sammy Watkins for less money I'm taking Watson and adding a cheaper slot.

17. traptses

traptses Starter

Love everything about that draft, but have a hard time seeing Hubbard fall to round 3

18. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Agreed. Hubbard will do some freaky things at the combine.

19. FINatic054

FINatic054 Scout Team

All these posts about letting Landry was is just ridiculous. He's the best player on this offense. The 9 ypc average is a product of this team... and how they utilize him not his play. He's the only one with heart who seems to give it his all every game.

artdnj and Banksy like this.
  20. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

My dream off season? The ESPN report about Kraft, Brady & Belichick is true.

21. vcip

vcip Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Getting to the Eagles a lot over the years living outside of Philly I will reach into 2 players one past, one present for my off season not including draft
    Healthy RT, McMillian, Lippett Parker
    UFA Jordan Matthews replaces Landry in the slot yes Matthews coming off surgery so that is a concern, but should be very affordable. Similar players in my view and ho is only 25
    UFA Trey Burton is new starting TE
    Cut Thomas
    Cur Pouncey
    Cut James
    Include a FB and I formation
    New DC losing the wide 9
    Leave Suh's contract as is

Thats it for now

Ray R likes this.
  22. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

Landry is not just a typical "catch and fall" Slot. That dude lives for contact, he breaks tackles like nobodies business and he fires up our Offense consistently.

I've been hearing in the $11m-$13m range, I think you might be sensationalizing the projected contract a bit there. I'm okay with everything else even though James graded out as our best OL this season.

Ray R likes this.
  23. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

You say Allen Robinson was a true #1 WR. Never mind he has an ACL injury and has only played one game this year. His stats in four seasons in the league:

202 catches, 2,848 yards, 22 TDs.

Landry in four years:

400 catches, 4,038 yards, 22 TDs.

Robinson had a phenomenal year in 2015: 80 catches, 1400 yards, 14 TDs. But his other two full years combined he had 121 catches for 1431 yards and 8 TDs. 2015 looks like an aberration.

Phinsfan93 likes this.
  24. superphin

superphin Starter Finheaven VIP

Umm a consistent target, 227 1st downs, 22 TD's and last year good for 40.2% of his passes ending in a 1st down. Compared to deep threat Kenny Stills who had 1st down on 36.1% of his passes. Can it be possible that he had his worse year since his rookie season because he played with the worst QB of his career?

What has Cameron Wakes 92 sacks brought to the team?....should we have gotten rid of Wake long ago?

Having Wes Welker on the Pats didn't hurt Gronk....if we draft a TE he will be on a rookie deal for a couple years and wouldn't affect the salary cap too much.

25. teemu7

teemu7 A True Fan

Dream off season is this Patriots dysfunction has major legs, BB walks because of the bruised ego and Ross hires him. That's a ****ing dream off season.

Phinsfan93 and artdnj like this.
  26. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Sounds like Gruden to the Raiders is a done deal. Hundred million over 10 years.

27. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

isn't robinson always injured? true number 1? no thanks

28. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

If the team lets Landry go I think Sutton becomes a legitimate first round target with perhaps Grant in the slot.

John Biello likes this.
  29. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

hate the idea of letting landry walk but grants agility and speed in the slot is intriguing. still dont think id go that route but its something to think about.

SF Dolphin Fan and Digital like this.
  30. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

That's like saying what good was Marino...we never won it all?

Silly...Landry is a football player...get a team of them and winning will follow.

Ray R and PBay Fin Fan like this.
  31. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

I don't want to over-pay for Landry but he does deserve to
    "Get His" people forget in 4 seasons he's never missed a game(65 straight games)
    I'd do my best to re-sign him but I'm not sure how his relationship
    with Gase is/has been

32. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Many also underestimate Landry’s willingness as a blocker. He is a physical every down player and helps the running game.
    I keep thinking about guys like Tony Martin and Mike Wallace. Deep threats who were soft and shut down against physical defenses. Landry backs down from no one and that is an unappreciated facet of his game if and when this team gets back in the playoffs. Hard to draw any conclusions about the team or the QB position this season since RT was hurt.

Ray R, PBay Fin Fan and number1fin like this.
  33. fin415

fin415 Rookie Finheaven VIP

I think you accidentally undercut your own argument -- and I think it's true for all of the 'Pay the man' folks too.

Understanding the difference between correlation vs. causation is pretty important here. Is Landry our top receiver because he's just that good or because of the lack of execution elsewhere and as a result, he's frequently getting throws as the second and third option? If we had a functional offense (QB and a true #1 WR), would Landry still have those gaudy numbers, and would we even care (either way)?

Having a great slot receiver is valuable. But if you could choose between a great slot or two above average impact players, which way would you go? This sure feels like the same argument the anti-Suh folks are using: a great as he might be, can the team justify the impact of that salary vs. what we give up in other players if that salary was free. The only teams that seemed to have thrived on high end slot play are the ones where the offense has a lot of very good targets and spread the ball around and thrive on YAC -- effectively, their short passing game is used to augment/instead of a power running game.

I will grant you your second argument -- get a team full of good players and you win.... ;-)

Ray R likes this.
  34. fin415

fin415 Rookie Finheaven VIP

Using your Tannehill arguments, if Landry is the heart and soul of our offense, given that we sucked so bad, that implies Landy's numbers are just a mirage and we should move on.

Dakar001 and Ray R like this.
  35. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I like Landry, named my cat after him , but if he leaves via FA I’ll bet anyone here the offense does not regress.

Ray R likes this.
  36. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

You must resign Laundry period.

37. terphin

terphin A True Fan

bad dream if you ask me

38. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Landry will resign or gets the 14 million Franchise Tag. Regardless he's a Dolphin next year

39. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

First it was the lack of touchdowns, then he scores 9 times in a season. Now it's the yards per catch which was contributed to greatly by force feeding 3-4 yard passes to him because the QB play was too horrid to throw the ball down the field.

Can't wait until Landry signs with the Patriots and his YPC jumps up to 12-14 consistently.

40. joeylats

Its not about YPC. or TDS its about overpaying for a slot receiver,who takes dumb penaltys.
    You dont have to gameplan to stop him,he doesnt take games over like A.B. He is a nice piece
    to a puzzle but in my opinion not breaking the bank for him.

Ray R likes this.