My First Mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My First Mock

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
It's obvious that the Dolphins will use free agency to fill some needs on the offensive line. Someone like a Brandon Alberts and maybe a serviceable starting caliber guard will be brought in prior to the draft IMO. So with that said, it also means Miami likely loses either Paul Solai or Randy Starks.

1. Louis Nix DT Notre Dame -- It's hard to say if Joe Philibin will be back next year or not so projecting at this point is pretty difficult. However, if the team does bring in someone like Brandon Alberts it lessons the need on the offensive line a bit. On the other hand, the DT position might become a bigger need if Starks or Solai leave. Nix is a similar talent to Vince Wilfork and would be a force in the middle for Miami. It could also allow the team to transition more to a 3-4 and better utilizing the talents of Jordan.

2. David Yankey G Stanford -- Yankey is a player who fits Philibin's mold on the offensive line. If Philibin is gone and someone like Bill Cowher is brought in, look for a more physical player like perhaps Gabe Jackson.

3. James Wilder Jr. RB Florida State -- I love his physical running style and think he would be a nice compliment to Lamar Miller.

3. trade up Seantrel Henderson OT Miami -- Henderson could go as early as R2, but might be there in the 3rd. He would fill Miami's need at RT and could be an eventual LT. Physical run blocker. (Dolphins give up 4 and 5 round picks to move back into the 3rd round).

6. Nickoe Whitley S Mississippi State -- Hard hitting safety adds depth.

7. Colt Lyerla TE formerly of Oregon -- After all that's gone down this year, Miami is probably less likely than other teams to gamble on a player with character issues. However, Lyerla's has talent and is less of a gamble at the end of the draft.

Nice job. Nix would be a nice pick, or maybe Will Sutton, DT, out of Arizona State, maybe in round two. I like Lewan at LT from Michigan or Brandon Scherff, LT, Iowa who is probably as good as Lewan. Michigan and Iowa play this Saturday and I will be watching them. We definitely need to draft a couple O-lineman, and probably a DT depending on what happens with Soliai and Starks. Lyerla has the talent at TE, but you have to wonder what will happen with him with his off the field issues. I think he got arrested for cocaine possession a month ago? I like another player from Iowa, Tight End, C.J. Fiedorowicz.

I'd go with Amaro instead of nix and the rest is fine. Even if you take a flyer on Lyerla late, if it works you have two stud te, if not no big deal.

Sorry, if we draft a DT,when we clearly don't need one......I'll be pretty pissed. It HAS to be Oline or RB's in the first three rounds.

Starks will get his money somewhere else and Odrick and Shelby will insure we don't miss a beat. When your D-line is so stocked that the 3rd pick in the draft is not even seeing the field, you can't draft another d-lineman.

Sorry, if we draft a DT,when we clearly don't need one......I'll be pretty pissed. It HAS to be Oline or RB's in the first three rounds.

Starks will get his money somewhere else and Odrick and Shelby will insure we don't miss a beat. When your D-line is so stocked that the 3rd pick in the draft is not even seeing the field, you can't draft another d-lineman.

so you want to go full speed ahead with odrick and shelby????

Nice job. Nix would be a nice pick, or maybe Will Sutton, DT, out of Arizona State, maybe in round two. I like Lewan at LT from Michigan or Brandon Scherff, LT, Iowa who is probably as good as Lewan. Michigan and Iowa play this Saturday and I will be watching them. We definitely need to draft a couple O-lineman, and probably a DT depending on what happens with Soliai and Starks. Lyerla has the talent at TE, but you have to wonder what will happen with him with his off the field issues. I think he got arrested for cocaine possession a month ago? I like another player from Iowa, Tight End, C.J. Fiedorowicz.
I like Sutton a lot and he would be a good replacement for Starks. I am a fan of Lewan as well. Honestly, so much will depend on free agency and if Philibin is kept around. I think Joe gets another year, but we'll see.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

I'd go with Amaro instead of nix and the rest is fine. Even if you take a flyer on Lyerla late, if it works you have two stud te, if not no big deal.
It's been so long since Miami had a tight end who was a mismatch -- think Keith Jackson. Would love to get one and it's a possibility if the Dolphins are able to fill two starting spots on the offensive line prior to the draft. So you like Amaro over Ebron?

The one area that Jeff Ireland has done a great job with is the fact that he recognizes the value of having a strong and deep defensive line. If you look at the Patriots over the years, besides Tom Brady, they've always had a top 10 (sometimes top 5) defensive line. Miami needs to get a young stud at DT simply because it's unlikely both Starks and Solai will be kept, but also because both players are on the wrong side of 30.

I like Sutton a lot and he would be a good replacement for Starks. I am a fan of Lewan as well. Honestly, so much will depend on free agency and if Philibin is kept around. I think Joe gets another year, but we'll see.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

It's been so long since Miami had a tight end who was a mismatch -- think Keith Jackson. Would love to get one and it's a possibility if the Dolphins are able to fill two starting spots on the offensive line prior to the draft. So you like Amaro over Ebron?
I do but maybe only because I've seen more Amaro. Dude is big, has terrific hands, and even at his size gets terrific separation. He runs well, not Vernon Davis or Ladarius Green well, but I think I mention Tony Gonzalez in another post. That's who Amaro reminds me of.

Im with Mudder, I think Amaro is the better TE. He is the more complete player IMO. Ebron would be a great pick though.

I do but maybe only because I've seen more Amaro. Dude is big, has terrific hands, and even at his size gets terrific separation. He runs well, not Vernon Davis or Ladarius Green well, but I think I mention Tony Gonzalez in another post. That's who Amaro reminds me of.
I will definitely have to take a look. Miami needs that type of player and I think Philibin is a coach who can really utilize the tight end position.

While I like all of these guys as players, three of them have character concerns. Lyerla's cocaine problems have been well documented although I wouldn't be surprised if his old ball coach took a gamble on him a little earlier.

James Wilder has been arrested multiple times & by all accounts is not a very mature person, that will push him down a couple rounds further than his talent projects.

Lastly there's my boy Seantrel. While he hasn't been in trouble with the law he has been suspended multiple times throughout his career at the U & has motivational issues but he should still go in the 3rd round where you have us taking him. Love him as a RT, powerful run blocking beast & underrated in pass protection but I don't think he's quick enough to be a LT.

I am speculating that Miami has 1 pick in each round. Further, I'd guess Miami surrenders a 6th for McKinnie.

That said, here is my attempt at doing Jeff's job....better than could.

1 Erving OT FSU
2 Blue RB LSU
3 Groy OG Wisconsin
4 Morris MLB Iowa
5 O'Leary TE FSU
7 Prosch FB Auburn

If the current trend holds; Miami will draft multiple Noles this yr.

Morris could be the instinctual MLB that the D needs allowing Ellerbe to move outside.

Erving & Groy would upgrade the OL. Likewise, Blue and Prosch the power running game.

O'Leary would give the TE depth flexibility and allow for more 2 man sets.

2014 TE's) O'Leary, Clay, Egnew, & Sims
2014 RB's) Thigpen, Miller, Blue, Prosch, & Gillislee

I'll pass on Wilder, hes had some concussions issues. Dovanta Freemen fits this offense better and could be had late in the draft.

Shelby? Come on. I want Lewan and i think he will be there when we pick. If you look around the league, most teams are stable at LT.

Shelby? Come on. I want Lewan and i think he will be there when we pick. If you look around the league, most teams are stable at LT.
Lewan is a possibility. I think the odds are pretty high that Miami goes offensive line in round 1. But, I also think the odds are pretty high that the team picks a DT in either the 1st or 2nd. The Dolphins could go Lewan in R1, and Sutton in R2.

Back
Top Bottom