My Kingdom for a Free Safety | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Kingdom for a Free Safety

AJ Duhe

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I don't see how Grier and Tannenbaum can be so happy with their offseason while ignoring a major hole in the defense. This feels exactly like 2 years ago when linebacker was ignored and we brought in a slew of backend talent...Hull, Vigil, Luc, Hewitt....in a desperate attempt to find a diamond in the rough. How do these guys not see the GAPING HOLE which is our safety position? Look who we're trotting out next to Reshad Jones.

Nate Allen - oft injured and rapidly aging veteran
TJ McDonald - good downhill support, but a liability in coverage; oh yeah, and he's missing for the first half of the season because of suspension
Michael Thomas - special teams ace, but on his best day he's Chris Clemons 2.0

This is why some of us are very iffy on this draft. It's not that the players we picked aren't quality talents. It's the fact that Grier and Tannenbaum seemingly ignored a very big hole in our defense when they had enough cap space and enough draft capital to address the problem.

I think McDonald and Jones will be fine at safety. Allen isn't the long term answer, but he might hold up until McDonald can return mid season. I was more concerned about the linebackers than the free safety spot. I think a big part of the free safety issue has been poor play at linebacker and corner. If Miami can get decent play from Howard, Maxwell, Lippett, Tankersly, McMillian, Alonso, Timmons and Misi than the free safety play won't be as big of an issue. Especially if Jones stays healthy.

Not every position every season is going to be perfect. And actually, they did address the position. They signed Nate Allen (who is meh), and signed TJ McDonald (who will be back for the second half of the season). If all else fails, Michael Thomas has shown he can play some quality snaps in a pinch.

I do seriously worry abput the first 8 games. Personally I probably would have taken Obi in the second

In one draft and offseason you can't fill EVERY need. Miami got 2 band-aid's at safety. They can worry about a long-term answer next year. Compared to the trash we had on the field last year Allen and McDonald are friggin all stars!!

You can't buy everyone, you also can't draft everyone, and you certainly can't fill all the needs in one offseason. It's strange that I keep posting this. I thought it was common knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
We play more 2 deep and that may save us. We need to go full press on the boundary and force the underneath routes for Alonso and Timmons/McMillon to clean up. Our pass rush will also force the issue.

Fortunately McDonald is back the second half of the season which is the toughest part of the schedule. If they stay reasonably healthy the defense is vastly improved from last season.

Fortunately McDonald is back the second half of the season which is the toughest part of the schedule. If they stay reasonably healthy the defense is vastly improved from last season.

And honestly if he appeals the suspension he may end up being back before then. But that is only IF he appeals it.

I hate to troll people but that what you just spent 8 hours to think just doesn't matter, we fans aren't looking back on failures and Debbie downerism.

You Armchairs QB's please stop whining, this FO did in my opinion did a great job at addressing the team's needs, it is ok to criticize but that's all I read is what you would've done, you're not the GM and I'm glad because when a person says we had a bad draft because of last year I really don't understand the logic behind that statement.

Miami got torched on pass defense way too much. Hopefully with the addition of Tankersley, and a healthy Howard and Jones....that will change. But we still need another Safety. There's gotta be some FA out there

Back
Top Bottom