My New Mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My New Mock

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
In free agency, Miami needs to add a starting caliber offensive lineman.

My projection: Brandon Alberts
Resign: Grimes, Soliai, Clemens

1. CJ Mosley LB Alabama-- This would be the best case scenario for Miami. Mosley represents exactly what this team needs, a leader on defense, a huge upgrade at linebacker, the ability to cover. Questionable if Mosley makes it to #19, but I've seen mocks with him in the 20's. Would allow Miami to move Ellerbe to weakside, or to potentially go with more 3-4 sets and get Jordan more involved.
2. Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee -- Richardson is an ideal RT candidate who is currently being mocked in the 2nd round. I can see him going late first.
3. Dakota Dozier, OG Furman --- A LT at Furman, Dozier has the quickness to be an outstanding guard in a ZBS.
4. Daniel McCullers DT Tennessee -- A 2-down plugger in the middle with a lot of untapped talent (run stopper). If anyone can tweak his techniques and bring out his potentials it's Dolphins DL coach Rogers.
5. James Wilder Jr. RB Florida State --- I love Wilders' running style, which I think compares to some of the top backs in this draft. He drops because of injury and the fact that he wasn't the featured guy at Florida State. But, he can block, runs with power and doesn't have a lot of mileage. I like Hill on LSU and Hyde on Ohio State, but Miami would have to likely spend a 2nd rounder on those guys. I think we have to go offensive line there.
6. Conner Shaw, QB South Carolina --- An interesting guy with nice athletic ability. Great decision maker with accuracy in the short game. Developmental guy who could press Devlin or allow Miami to move Moore for salary cap space. I wonder how far Aaron Murray and AJ McCarron drop. Those are potential later round qb's who could help.
7. pick to Baltimore for McKinney ??? (don't know which pick Miami parted with)

I like it. Really love CJ Mosely and would be delighted if he fell to us there.. Huge upside for him.

Wilder Jr is really underrated right now, and I hope he stays that way.. Love how hard he runs and breaks tackles with such ease. He looks a lot like AP when he's thrashing out there. That's something you can't really teach and it's definitely something we missed this year in our RB corps.. Only thing is he lacks burst the get through holes quickly and he's a little upright.. But I love the kid.

Haven't watched much of Richardson to be honest, but I'm not sure he's a fantastic fit our system.. Not much of athlete.

I'd be happy out with this draft though.

Last edited by a moderator:
if mosley came here imo it would be to play wolb...replace wheeler...that's where i think his best pro fit is anyways 43 wolb...dozier that's probably where i think his value lies also stood out at the shrine game but i think his athleticism is a little overrated...not sure i see the great zbs fit either but he's interesting...i see movement skills similar to a john jerry...he's definitely on my board though i know that

wesley johnson i would see as more of a guard in our system his work at tackle isn't anything to get all that excited about imo...not the kind of foot athlete i want at tackle

daniel mccullers a lot of buyer beware there for me...untapped potential for sure and maybe rodgers can get something out of it...maybe...i would personally pass...

i wouldn't burn a pick on connor shaw at all...i see no value there at all...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm warming up to Martin in the first. He could play multiple positions on the OL, and he can play them well. I'd take Borland in the second. We need a good Mike backer. All our guys are better suited on the outside. In the third Id take Bitonio, Dozier, or the OL from Arkansas. In the fourth I'd look at guys like Crockett Gilmore or Caraun Reid. Give me JC Copeland in the fifth, and finish it off with a RB like Lorenzo Taliaferro. Give me all that and I'm good.:woot:

I like it. Really love CJ Mosely and would be delighted if he fell to us there.. Huge upside for him.

Wilder Jr is really underrated right now, and I hope he stays that way.. Love how hard he runs and breaks tackles with such ease. He looks a lot like AP when he's thrashing out there. That's something you can't really teach and it's definitely something we missed this year in our RB corps.. Only thing is he lacks burst the get through holes quickly and he's a little upright.. But I love the kid.

Haven't watched much of Richardson to be honest, but I'm not sure he's a fantastic fit our system.. Not much of athlete.

I'd be happy out with this draft though.
Interesting that we both have mocked Wilder Jr. in our drafts. Really love your draft, but wonder if Borland might end up in the 2nd? Love Borland.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

I'm warming up to Martin in the first. He could play multiple positions on the OL, and he can play them well. I'd take Borland in the second. We need a good Mike backer. All our guys are better suited on the outside. In the third Id take Bitonio, Dozier, or the OL from Arkansas. In the fourth I'd look at guys like Crockett Gilmore or Caraun Reid. Give me JC Copeland in the fifth, and finish it off with a RB like Lorenzo Taliaferro. Give me all that and I'm good.:woot:
Martin's versatility is nice. He's a good player.

if mosley came here imo it would be to play wolb...replace wheeler...that's where i think his best pro fit is anyways 43 wolb...dozier that's probably where i think his value lies also stood out at the shrine game but i think his athleticism is a little overrated...not sure i see the great zbs fit either but he's interesting...i see movement skills similar to a john jerry...he's definitely on my board though i know that

wesley johnson i would see as more of a guard in our system his work at tackle isn't anything to get all that excited about imo...not the kind of foot athlete i want at tackle

daniel mccullers a lot of buyer beware there for me...untapped potential for sure and maybe rodgers can get something out of it...maybe...i would personally pass...

If Miami doesn't get Mosley in R1, then another option I like is Lewan R1 and Borland R2. I'm on the fence with McCullers, but I do see talent there so in the 4th I think the risk factor is much less. Who are some later round DT's that you like?

If, as Hoops says, Mosley would line up at WOLB, then I would view it as a wasted pick as you have a player on the current roster who in my view would be a better solution than Wheeler there and that is Jordan.

I would view Mosley in the 1st as a wasted pick.

Shaw is athletic and a top notch leader.
He doesn't have near the accuracy to be an effective NFL Qb and is not a fit for this offense.

If, as Hoops says, Mosley would line up at WOLB, then I would view it as a wasted pick as you have a player on the current roster who in my view would be a better solution than Wheeler there and that is Jordan.

Id bet Wheeler stays starter this year but splits more snaps with Jenkins and Jenkins takes over as starter the next year with wheeler cut barring improvement on his part. Jordan wont be played at OLB unless the scheme is changed but i wouldn't see that happening any time soon. I dont see the need at LB like a lot of people do so i would agree that the 1st for moseley would be a wasted pick when you can go both BPA and need with Martin.

Interesting that we both have mocked Wilder Jr. in our drafts. Really love your draft, but wonder if Borland might end up in the 2nd? Love Borland.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Martin's versatility is nice. He's a good player.

Yeah I think I'm getting a little greedy there value-wise. Same with Niklas. Reckon both those guys go higher than I have them slated at the moment.. I'll change it around after free agency, when we have a better idea of what our biggest needs are. If we have to pull a second-trigger on Borland though.. so be it.

We both have Wilder in our drafts because you brought him to my attention :up: Maybe you could give Hickey the same idea?

i think if they played jordan at lb (which all indications are coyle has no interest in it) it would be strong...misis spot...barry jackson said as much on one of his insider takes that a dolphins official said that they like misi on the field on first down at strong and plan to keep it that way and have no lb plans for jordan

now obviously jordan at strong could stay on the field more than misi as a lb given his athleticism speed etc and coverage ability...i think if mosley came here it would be as wheelers replacement...i doubt it happens though cause they seem to think jelani jenkins as the next man up may be the guy...not sure i see that either...another poor instincts player inside and off tackle in the run game...more athlete than instincts

SF, I'd sign up for your mock right now. Wilder would be a steal in the 5th round. Mosley solves our run defense problems, an excellent prospect at TE and 2 linemen that could come right in and start for us. I really think Connor Shaw has potential, will he really be there in the 6th round? Great job, email this to Hickey.

I know the staff likes Jordan at DE, but I'd love to see him play linebacker over Misi. I like Mosley at MLB in our system, but he's obviously has the versatility to play outside. I'd also like to see Miami sign two mid-level starting offensive linemen in free agency to make that less of an issue entering the draft. If that happens, it opens things up for other possibilities like Ebron, Mosley, Ealy (Wake is 32) etc.

SF, I'd sign up for your mock right now. Wilder would be a steal in the 5th round. Mosley solves our run defense problems, an excellent prospect at TE and 2 linemen that could come right in and start for us. I really think Connor Shaw has potential, will he really be there in the 6th round? Great job, email this to Hickey.
I kept looking at tight ends as well, but once you get past the top few I don't know if any would be upgrades -- and we have so many other needs. I like Shaw. I think he goes 6-7th round.

I would love to see Miami draft some Noles, but I do have some concerns on Wilder. Wilder runs upright and with wreckless abandon. He takes a lot of hits, and gets nicked up a lot. Wilder has big play potential and is hard to bring down, but runs a bit out of control. Freeman beat him out as the primary back because he is just more polished and much better picking up blitzes than Wilder. I would be fine taking him in the 5th, but if I had a choice of Freeman or Wilder I would go Freeman, but you are gonna have to take him probably in the third round.

I do like the mock though, although may look different in round one.

Back
Top Bottom