My observations after attending my first HOME game last week | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My observations after attending my first HOME game last week

Keller's Rod

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I have been a life long Phins fan ever since I was about 5 years old (I'm 41 now). Always living up north I had never had a chance to attend a home game for various reason. While I spent the first 33 years of my life I attended away games @ Cinci, Cleveland, Indy, & Detroit. I then moved to Atlanta which is where I currently reside. Since moving I have seen them play in Atlanta & Nashville. Anyway, this past weekend I was able to check off one item on my bucket list by attending my first home game along with my 12 year old son who of course is also a Phins fan.

With that being said I have some observations after going to the game. (If you feel like bashing me for some of my comments don't bother posting...however if you have intelligent comments you would like to add then by all means fire away)

1. I was impressed with how easy it was to get in and out of the stadium parking areas and quickly get on the highway. Yes, this may have something to do with the low attendance but it seems like the infrastructure was designed well for getting the fan traffic in and out even with some of the construction going on. I've been to some stadiums like Cinci where it is a b!itch getting in and out of.

2. We have NO home field advantage. Yes, losing so many games over the past decade and having no Dan Marino anymore has killed the attendance. Obviously that has an impact to the noise level and home field advantage. With that being said it still seemed like the fans that were there just didn't seem to be into the game that much. During key moments in the game, it just seemed like only half the fans were even screaming and yelling when the Bills had the ball. BTW....I thought there were very few Bills fans at the game.

3. Sunlife Stadium definately needs a face lift. I was disappointed in the das state that the stadium is in. From the seating, restrooms, to overall appearance it just really looks dingy. I see why there is a lot of talk lately about needing a stadium upgrade. Unfortunately from what I have heard on WQAM via Iheart radio it sounds like the Marlins have screwed any chance of the Dolphins getting any tax dollars for an upgrade. Disappointing..

4. Pro shop pricing...went into the pro shop and I was rather disappointed in the pricing I observed. For example they had some very nice hats....one solid white and one solid black...both fitted. Anyway I have been looking online for a while for hats just like those 2 I mentioned. Anyway, the pice on those hats were $32 a piece! Seriously, that is probably the most expensive ball caps I have ever seen. I'll pay in the mid 20's but not $32. Disappointing especially considering the state of the franchise and the declining fan base. You would think they would knock the price down some to encourage fans to buy more apparel.

5. The fans that were there sure know how to party. I was pleasantly surprised at the great tailgating parties I observed. It seemed the fans had more fun tailgating than they had during the game based on the lack of enthusiasm I observed during the game.

Those are just some of my observations....sorry for the long post....if you feel like adding or commenting fire away! :up:

We definitely need a new stadium. Hell will freeze over before we get one anytime soon unfortunately.

I completely agree with #2. I posted something similar as I attended my first home game this year too (I live in Boston). I have to say that it made me question my fan-hood as much as the 1-15 season.

I don't know how to do it, but our stadium needs some intensity, badly. It's sad when the away team's fans out-cheer the home team's fans.

I think the lack of enthusiasm is the norm for the crowd in Miami. Last few home games I've been to have been the same and even when I went to game 3 of the Heat/Mavericks finals in 2006 it was the same. The crowd will have it's moments but they don't sustain the enthusiasm for long.

We had no home field advantage from 1996-2000 either. Its not a new thing. No one wants to stand up and cheer even on 3rd down. Its hard for the real hardcore fans to pay the the price of a ticket, parking and god forbid you want a meal. Even worse is if you wanted to take someone with you. But no that stadium has never been loud as long ad I went to games. Even with Marino.

lets say it this way. UCFs 45000 person stadium sounds twice as loud as Joe Robbie with 20000 fans in it. (ucf doesn't sell out either)

It is nice to read an objective opinion about the experience. This team has no stars, and our winning tradition is long gone.
The only way to get that enthusiastic crowd back is for the team to win division titles, playoff games, and super bowls.
The fans(my self included) have grown tired of putting up with losing, having the franchise embarrass itself nationally, and with ever increasing prices.
It is time for the organization above the head coach to create the winning team by spending money wisely on FA's, draft the play makers, and to improve the stadium. The logo is not important, I would rather have a more comfortable seat at the stadium. The seats are too small and the rows are to close together that mt knees are wedged into the seat in front.
I could put up with all that if there was something to get excited about.
The OP is right, the tail gating is the best part about the experience. The problem is other than furnishing the parking space at $20, the team really has nothing to do with that. It could very well be in s shopping center parking lot. After the tail gate is over, the fans quietly head for their plastic chair to chit chat, drink beer, and occasionally take a look at what is going on the field.
I have had the pleasure of going to the old Orange Bowl years ago. The place was in the middle of a poor neighborhood, you had to park on peoples lawns, the seats were aluminum bleaches, and the toilets and urinals never worked. That place had an energy and electricity, especially for the night games. The facilities were the absolute worst, but we had a Don Shula coached team...a winning team that you could get behind and scream until you were horse for 2 days. The noise level was so bad the refs would have to stop the game.
It seems like a long time ago.

I used to go to the Orange bowl to watch the fins when I was in elementary school, that place ROCKED big time.

I mean literally it would really rock and sway. The stands would move around. The bathrooms were horrific though.

I've been to plenty of Dolphin games, the stadium is not built like a stadium should be for Football. The stands are too far away.

Every time I watch a Raider game I can't help but feel jealous of their stadium and more jealous about their fans. The fans are packed and screaming and going crazy, and the Raiders suck. We are a much better team, & much better coached. The Dolphins should hire professionals that can improve the situation.

Right now I think they are just about done regaining all the credibility that they lost when Ross bought the team, and the way he dealt with being the new owner. Things should start to improve with stability. Hopefully Ross will trust to professionals to make the smart long term decisions.

Fair weather fan populate the MIA fan base.

I've been to my share of NFL games in different cities. But when I goto a KC/MIA game in -10 degree weather, and see more people there, than the last time I was in MIA. There is a problem. The fans in MIA are terrible and should just stick with what they know, the beach.

We had no home field advantage from 1996-2000 either. Its not a new thing. No one wants to stand up and cheer even on 3rd down. Its hard for the real hardcore fans to pay the the price of a ticket, parking and god forbid you want a meal. Even worse is if you wanted to take someone with you. But no that stadium has never been loud as long ad I went to games. Even with Marino.

lets say it this way. UCFs 45000 person stadium sounds twice as loud as Joe Robbie with 20000 fans in it. (ucf doesn't sell out either)

People here will insist that because we sold out those game, that fans actually showed up

This is what I suggest to improve game days. First off they need to make the stadium have hovering abilities. This way ross can appease everybody. The stadium can be relocated evry home game to make it more accessible. For example , in september , hover the stadium over to south beach to coincide with those awesome beach days , this way fans can go swimming if they need to during the game. In october the stadium will hover in little havana , somewhere on 3rd st, for the nostalgic feel of the orange bowl, you get the picture, everybody is happy.

Next every seat will be replaced with a lazy boy recliners that blows cold air up your ass, this way nobody ever sweats during the game. Also every recliner has a built in speaker that has a pre recorded fan cheer, so there is no need to yell and scream during the games, just adjust it to your preferred volume.

Meals on wheels and local homeless shelters will cease deliveries to their patients and homeless on sundays, those hot meals will be brought to dolphins stadium for the fans to ease the costs for the fans.

Lastly, there will be a pop top roof , like on a shampoo bottle, so the fans or visiting teams wont get wet during the games. All of these changes should bring back the winning traditions to Miami.

I remember the OB, but I have been to JRS when it has been super loud as well. The crowd now adays is very subdued, I don't know why? Was at the Jax game and two young guys next to me were texting while I was screaming.

I went to the Indy KC game this past weekend because my wife bought me tickets. I love the fine but its too far :( I have to say though, at about 80% capacity, that stadium was rocking. You can tell they were die hard fans. Every third down the fans were going nuts! This is a team that has only won 2 flipping games! They just love their team. It really sucks to hear we done have the same.

I also attended my first game against buffalo. first observation was how much everyone loves reggie. must resign. and there would be more excitement if we had more players making plays

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

more playmakers

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

lamar miller looks pretty damn good too...

For whats its worth I went to my one and only home game in 2008 vs the Bills, the attendance and atmosphere seemed great to me and that was coming off a 1-15 season and we were 2-4 at the time. Was that game an aberration or has something happened to affect attendance between then and now?

Back
Top Bottom