My opinion on the Dolphins: Pessimism, Not Panic | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My opinion on the Dolphins: Pessimism, Not Panic

erralyn

Starter
Reaction score
The following is just my outlook on the Dolphins, and should not be taken as representing any other fan who posts on this board. However, I feel that there's a strong possibility a number of other posters feel the same way, and explaining how I see things might help clear up a tiny fraction of the animosity between Dolphins on this site.

That may be overly optimistic.

I am pessimistic about the Dolphins chances for the upcoming season. Pessimistic. I am not panicking. I don't think the sky is falling. From my perspective, the sky has already fallen and it can't get back up. At least, not without their Life Alert bracelet. If I see the Dolphins Front Office make a free agent signing I disagree with, I am not panicking. If the Dolphins could drive me to suicide, I would have died when the Dolphins lost 62-7 to the Jaguars. Having Dan Marino's career end like that would have done it, for sure.

We can all debate the reasons why I'm pessimistic, and whether I should be. For me it's because I see the Dolphins Free Agent moves and contract restructurings thus far as locking us into mediocrity for years to come. I'm not a believer in Ryan Tannehill, and I'm completely done with Mike Tannenbaum. My hope is that the next time Ross decides to clean house he will make a clean slate, and wipe out both the coaching staff and front office in one fell swoop.

Those, however, are my opinions, and not what this post is about. I'm just trying to explain my own pessimistic (I'd call it realistic, but pessimists usually do) outlook, and that of any fans that agree with me. Please note that my pessimism doesn't make me any less of a fan. I see that as much as I see accusations of panicking, and it's just as incorrect.

So, that's my attempt at peaceful mediation for this increasingly bitter message board atmosphere. Take is as you will. Understand that my pessimism comes from my fandom, not in spite of it. I'll try and understand that your continued support for Tannehill (insert other disagreement du jour) comes from a similar place.

Thanks.

Fair points, thanks for the post.

I’m cautiously optimistic. I like the idea that we (mostly) cleaned house. Yes, we had some big names and some playmakers, but honestly where has that ever gotten us? That money has now been spread amongst several good, not great, players. And we have additional cap for further additions.

I like our O-line and that alone gets me excited for the season.

I trust Gase (obviously) and like that we are finally going to see a rendition of “his” team - guys that can understand and execute his offense.

I like our offseason coaching additions. I’m still holding out hope that we can land some more players like C.J. Anderson.

I’m escpecially looking forward to the draft. I’d love to add an early round QB to sit behind Tannehill, but I also want a stud LB like Roquan. I’d love to add a decent tight end for once.

Overall, I guess my view is that nothing we can do can be worse that what we have all experienced over that last decade plus. Being a perennial 7-9 and 8-8 team is getting so old. Sure, this could all blow up and we could be horrible this year. But I highly doubt that, and it would only be a repeat of the feelings we are all used to at this point.

So yeah, I’m hopeful.

I’m more on the optimist side with the moves they’ve been making and I’m slowly getting excited for the draft. Much more than that I liked both posts above because this is how I feel the tone in every discussion on this board should be.

The following is just my outlook on the Dolphins, and should not be taken as representing any other fan who posts on this board. However, I feel that there's a strong possibility a number of other posters feel the same way, and explaining how I see things might help clear up a tiny fraction of the animosity between Dolphins on this site.

I am pessimistic about the Dolphins chances for the upcoming season. Pessimistic. I am not panicking. I don't think the sky is falling. From my perspective, the sky has already fallen and it can't get back up. At least, not without their Life Alert bracelet. If I see the Dolphins Front Office make a free agent signing I disagree with, I am not panicking. If the Dolphins could drive me to suicide, I would have died when the Dolphins lost 62-7 to the Jaguars. Having Dan Marino's career end like that would have done it, for sure.

We can all debate the reasons why I'm pessimistic, and whether I should be. For me it's because I see the Dolphins Free Agent moves and contract restructurings thus far as locking us into mediocrity for years to come. I'm not a believer in Ryan Tannehill, and I'm completely done with Mike Tannenbaum. My hope is that the next time Ross decides to clean house he will make a clean slate, and wipe out both the coaching staff and front office in one fell swoop.

Those, however, are my opinions, and not what this post is about. I'm just trying to explain my own pessimistic (I'd call it realistic, but pessimists usually do) outlook, and that of any fans that agree with me. Please note that my pessimism doesn't make me any less of a fan. I see that as much as I see accusations of panicking, and it's just as incorrect.

So, that's my attempt at peaceful mediation for this increasingly bitter message board atmosphere. Take is as you will. Understand that my pessimism comes from my fandom, not in spite of it. I'll try and understand that your continued support for Tannehill (insert other disagreement du jour) comes from a similar place.

Thanks.

Thank you just because there are certain signings I don't like doesn't make me any less of a fan nor does it mean I'm panicking or jumping ship. I'm a fan through and through and will always be a fan no matter what. The bad times are just going to make winning a super bowl just that much sweeter.

1e6p35.jpg

Hmm, can I be both an optimist and a pessimist? Does that make sense? Let me try to explain.

When the Dolphins make these moves, I start to dream. "Oh, if he works out, he'll do X, and he'll complement him, which means we'll do Y" etc. But then, I temper that optimism in my head with the "Usually only 50% of FA signings work out" etc. So, my heart is optimistic, and my head is pessimistic I guess? I dunno.

Thanks.

I can understand general pessimism - particularly long-term fans. But, no offense, there's a difference between 'pessimism' and outright blind boomers. Just for curiosity, name a couple of things that give you optimism

Two reasons I'm feeling optimistic despite the fact that we moved on from players like Suh and Landry:

1) Ryan Tannehill will be our starting QB. No more Jay Cutler, no more Matt Moore. Tannehill, who was poised to have a monster season in 2017 --according to reports-- will be back healthy and ready to go. Now, this can change if he goes down again, but right now having him back makes the biggest difference on the team. No player has more impact than a QB, and Ryan should be much better than what we had in 2017 at the position.

2) We finally addressed the OL. Don't get me wrong, we still don't know how this unit will perform, but on paper it looks much improved compared to last season. LG in particular was a huge need, and we addressed it with a great player. I'm also glad to have plenty of competition for both the C and the RG positions. And our tackles should be fine as well, if healthy.

Now, we still need to improve in key positions, such as LB, TE and RB. We also now have a question mark at the DT position and need a new kicker. But I believe that having a better OL and a better QB are two things that will make this team better in 2018.

I can understand general pessimism - particularly long-term fans. But, no offense, there's a difference between 'pessimism' and outright blind boomers. Just for curiosity, name a couple of things that give you optimism

1) They cut Pouncey. 2) They cut Julius Thomas.

These feel like good moves to me. If I was inclined to be optimistic, these would give me hope, but I have no faith in the Dolphins Front Office not to immediately offer sizeable contracts to mediocre players that will hurt us for years to come. In my opinion, they've already started to do that (not huge contracts, but substantial ones. I'd rather they only spend peanuts considering I think they are light years from contention). I understand that people will disagree, and I don't mention this to argue these points, but you wanted examples.

Sign me up for the optimistic side as well. How much longer did the FO and fans want to watch the same Elite players get us no where? The defense has done pretty much nothing since Suh's arrival. Landry has great passion and desire, but where has that gotten us??? Pouncey played the entire season last year, WOW, he is 1 rep away in practice/game from being on IR, true story!

If your a true Dolphin fan, regardless, you must at least understand these moves, and if not, then you must have been happy with the outcome of each of the past 4 seasons (not me). How much longer were we going to be in financial disarray while watching our Star players carry this team to mediocrity? I couldn't wait until this happened, I just didn't think it would happen until next season. Now we seem to be in good, not decent, but good cap finances for years to come at this point. Just think, next year Kiko and Branch will both most likely be gone freeing up another 17.2 million.

Wake is here, and deserves to remain here and retire a Dolphin. Props to the FO for that move or non-move.

I love what they have done thus far. This may well be the best O-Line we've had a 10+ years. Somewhere I'm sure Drake and Tanny are smiling. Should we address our LBers through the draft (Smith/Edmunds) that would add to McMillan and Kiko/Allen/Anthony, now we may be onto something. Should they choose to draft Vea at 11, all the sudden we could have a stout D-Line, young and cheap. Let us not forget about our offense. Should Miami get one of the top TE's in the draft, wow how our offense could look so different. Offense should be much, much faster all the way around, which would also be much, much harder to defend.

If you are a Miami fan and have followed this team the past decade+, you must feel relieved, you must feel optimistic, you must have know this should have happened. I'm all on board with ahat they have done thus far. The draft will be interesting, at least now there are no GLARING needs with the 11th pick (BPA). trade down, trade up, select BPA. Now they are not handcuffed to any one position or player.

It must have killed Tannebaum to orchestrate such methodical, smart moves in the first few days of free agency. I'm sure he'll make up for it in the draft.

Two reasons I'm feeling optimistic despite the fact that we moved on from players like Suh and Landry:

1) Ryan Tannehill will be our starting QB. No more Jay Cutler, no more Matt Moore. Tannehill, who was poised to have a monster season in 2017 --according to reports-- will be back healthy and ready to go. Now, this can change if he goes down again, but right now having him back makes the biggest difference on the team. No player has more impact than a QB, and Ryan should be much better than what we had in 2017 at the position.

2) We finally addressed the OL. Don't get me wrong, we still don't know how this unit will perform, but on paper it looks much improved compared to last season. LG in particular was a huge need, and we addressed it with a great player. I'm also glad to have plenty of competition for both the C and the RG positions. And our tackles should be fine as well, if healthy.

Now, we still need to improve in key positions, such as LB, TE and RB. We also now have a question mark at the DT position and need a new kicker. But I believe that having a better OL and a better QB are two things that will make this team better in 2018.

Very good, I can go with that. OL, IMO, SHOULD be better. If nothing else, Brendel = Pouncey, if not better. Sitton/Davis are better than any OG combo last year. I'll lean more towards pessimism if Miami doesn't at least address TE or LB

There's nothing wrong with being pessimistic about the upcoming season, hell, I think everyone has that doubt about these changes working out, I know I do. The problem I find, is that you damn if you do and damn if you don't, it seems no matter what the Phins do there are those that criticize the teams every move. There are decisions that this team has made that leave me scratching my head and wondering what the hell, but to find fault in everything big and small becomes tiring. Constantly complaining about the FO, the coach, and the owner leaves me wondering if there is anything about the team that some fans like, we are all Dolphins fans, lets look at the positives for a change...at least sometimes.

Sign me up for the optimistic side as well. How much longer did the FO and fans want to watch the same Elite players get us no where? The defense has done pretty much nothing since Suh's arrival. Landry has great passion and desire, but where has that gotten us??? Pouncey played the entire season last year, WOW, he is 1 rep away in practice/game from being on IR, true story!

If your a true Dolphin fan, regardless, you must at least understand these moves, and if not, then you must have been happy with the outcome of each of the past 4 seasons (not me). How much longer were we going to be in financial disarray while watching our Star players carry this team to mediocrity? I couldn't wait until this happened, I just didn't think it would happen until next season. Now we seem to be in good, not decent, but good cap finances for years to come at this point. Just think, next year Kiko and Branch will both most likely be gone freeing up another 17.2 million.

Wake is here, and deserves to remain here and retire a Dolphin. Props to the FO for that move or non-move.

I love what they have done thus far. This may well be the best O-Line we've had a 10+ years. Somewhere I'm sure Drake and Tanny are smiling. Should we address our LBers through the draft (Smith/Edmunds) that would add to McMillan and Kiko/Allen/Anthony, now we may be onto something. Should they choose to draft Vea at 11, all the sudden we could have a stout D-Line, young and cheap. Let us not forget about our offense. Should Miami get one of the top TE's in the draft, wow how our offense could look so different. Offense should be much, much faster all the way around, which would also be much, much harder to defend.

If you are a Miami fan and have followed this team the past decade+, you must feel relieved, you must feel optimistic, you must have know this should have happened. I'm all on board with ahat they have done thus far. The draft will be interesting, at least now there are no GLARING needs with the 11th pick (BPA). trade down, trade up, select BPA. Now they are not handcuffed to any one position or player.

It must have killed Tannebaum to orchestrate such methodical, smart moves in the first few days of free agency. I'm sure he'll make up for it in the draft.

A lot to unpack here.

1) I am a true Dolphins fan, although I really hate for any fan here to have to justify their fandom, as I've tried to illustrate.
2) I understand these moves, or at least the rationale for these moves, but I disagree with the direction of the front office.
3) I have been unhappy with the direction of this team since they drafted Eddie Moore (probably should have seen it before then).
4) I am a Miami fan.
5) I must not feel relieved.
6) I must not feel optimistic.
7) Yes, I probably should have known this would happen. I disagree that it should have happened in the way it did.

This is why being an Ozzy fan (and hard rock fan in general)is so amazing. See, in sports there's always a winner and a bunch of losers. When you go to a game you either leave happy because your team won or sad because your team lost. When you go see your favorite band in concert, everyone is happy before, during and after the concert. No reason to leave upset as everyone won.

In the end, we're all just Dolphins fans here hoping we'll win again one day and everyone deals with it in a different way. No reason to get mad at the other posters. That's what the pats, jets and bills are there for....lol

Ozzy rules!!

Actually, I'd add another option, a realist. That's kinda what I actually think I am. I dream, like I said, about all these moves working out. But let's face it, they won't. That's not pessimism, that's fact. Every year, roughly 50% of all teams moves work out, that's just the way it is.

But I agree with the poster above who says criticising everything does become tiresome.

For me, the moves they made with regard to getting rid of players were the right moves - Suh was just chewing up too much money. Landry, well he wanted too much money. And Pouncey, he was being paid too much money, sucked, couldn't practice, and, well, I'll never forgive him for the free the murderer t-shirt.

Does it mean I think the team will definitely be better next year? Nope, it doesn't. But I can hope.

I know some fans are distrustful of the “culture” change reasoning behind some of our larger moves, but I really do believe the motives of the brain trust this time. Look at the four biggest player moves in the last year:

Ajayi - Runs hard, but doesn’t follow the design of the play, doesn’t block well, doesn’t work well in the passing game.
Landry - Plays hard, but didn’t always know his assignments. When he says he gave his all out there, that apparently didn’t include diligent study of the game plan week to week. Also seemed a little too interested in his own stats.
Suh - played hard, but also seemed to run his way out of plays. Never attempted to correct a bad habit of jumping offsides. Limited himself to a single scheme.
Pouncey - Largely got a pass for his role in the bullying scandal. Always talked about being a leader, but never instilled accountability among his position group.

Dolphins fans always talk about being more like the Patriots or even more like Shula’s teams in terms of team culture. I think this roster purge is Gase’s attempt to get there. I am optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom