My take on the offseason issues for the Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My take on the offseason issues for the Dolphins

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Ok,

Here's my take on the offseason needs for the Dolphins. As the song said in Smokey and the Bandit "We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there". I know most of you don't percieve that we are that far away, but read on.

We have to keep Linehan. I know that some of you aren't concerned...YOU SHOULD BE. Record wise, I don't know if the 8 (might be 10 at some point with the Jets and Bills) is unprecedented or not. But, that's almost 1/3 of the league looking for coaches. Yeah, there may be some college coaches that can come in. There also may be 1 or 2 coaches that just got fired who might take head coaches elsewhere. But at the end of the day, there could be 5 - 7 HC jobs that are suitable to assistant coaches.

To take care of this, I'd recommend that Huizenga back the brinks truck up to Linehan's house and make him a great deal. It won't hurt our cap and will maintain the integrity of our offensive attack. The 'Skins just did a similar thing with one of their AC's.

We need to get a high profile QB. Frerotte is a band-aid at best when it comes to the QB position. I'd love to see us get a first round QB (Linehan, Young, or Cutler.) In order to do this we need to be prepared to trade up in the first round. We need Saban's Dan Marino/John Elway. Not someone who we pick up at a steal in the 3rd or 4th round and hope we hit on. We need to get gutsy!

Obviously, we may choose to find our new QB via free agency. Maybe we pick up Patrick Ramsey from Washington. Maybe we figure out how to get Brees or Rivers (Though Brees' injury may complicate this). I'll leave it up to Saban to determine who's the right guy. BUT, we have to find THE right guy for our O. In order to properly do this, obviously we will have had to have kept Linehan around. If we haven't then we need to have a firm grasp of what our offense will ideally look like. So, we can choose the QB with the right attributes for our O. In later years, we'll obviously plan our O around the QB.

Secondary

We've all read that Madison won't renegotiate his contract to stay a Phin. We also all know that he's making way too much money to not be uber dominant (which he hasn't). So, he's going bye-bye. We also need to get rid of Reggie Howard. With Poole coming back and Daniels proving to be a stud, we still need help. We'll have to address that somehow someway.

O-Line

Sweaty ba!ls Mckinney needs to go. He just isn't the mauler we need at center. Center is the lynchpin of the whole O-line. We need someone in the mold of a Kevin Mawae. Someone who is just big strong and really really nasty! We also need to look at potentially a new LT.

WR

Chambers had a great second half! You couldn't have asked for more DURING THE SECOND HALF. What happened during the first 10 games? Are his drops over for good? Is his focus going to be as good all next year as it wqas the last six games? These questions make me a little nervous. I don't want to make this into a "Chambers sucks" thread because I don't think he sucks. Should we bring in a good WR anyways? It would depend on whose available, but I would say yes. Worse case scenario is that we add another stud WR to compliment Chambers, Booker, and sometimes Welker.

Thoughts?

As far as chambers goes, I would not say by any stretch that his drops went away in the last 6 games. It was just simply they threw him the ball alot more for what ever reason. I seem to remember something like FTS right around when Chambers started rolling. But he was still dropping just as many balls.

I think we have to wait and see on the QB front. I dont think Saban wants an old vet QB. He already has one. I think he is going to wait on the Cutler situation and look at Croyle, Shockley.

No doubt we need to keep Linehan but I think Saban has already known for some time now that he is gone sooner rather than later. I think he already has people in mind and is already talking to those people getting ideas.

On the OL front, I think we get a FA G and hadnot becomes C while drafting a late rounder C/G from some unknown place. We will draft a LT for sure IMO.

WR I think is good and could simply use someone like Josh Reed who will play for Saban all out as compared to Tom Donoblow and the buffalo chips. All that is if Booker stays. If not, then we get a big FA in Wayne if possible. TO? I dont know about that one but Saban has a history of taking on bad characters and turning them around.

I don't think bringing another stop gap qb is going to be the fix. Generally it takes a year for an offense to get in sync. I do think Gus is a problem, however unless Miami brings a long term solution I don't see the point in getting rid of him.

Nice read and I agree with most of what you said.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Poole's return. He has been hurt the past two years and could become the CB equivalent of Yantil Green. Hope it doesn't happen but we need to be prepared.

I would like to see Linehan return but Saban has a long history of turnover on his staff so I think he can rebound fairly quickly if he does.

Now for the important question how did you come up with Mckinney's nickname, please tell me it isn't from first hand knowledge. :sidelol:

VManis said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in Poole's return. He has been hurt the past two years and could become the CB equivalent of Yantil Green. Hope it doesn't happen but we need to be prepared.

I would like to see Linehan return but Saban has a long history of turnover on his staff so I think he can rebound fairly quickly if he does.

Now for the important question how did you come up with Mckinney's nickname, please tell me it isn't from firwst hand knowledge. :sidelol:

I don't remember Poole getting hurt the year before. At least not seriously.

You have us filling a few holes there. Not even mentioning the Safety position. Not sure we will be able to fill everything. Getting "gutsy", if you mean trading up to get a premier QB, well then there went more of our draft picks and thus being able to fill holes. We all want that "perfect" team, but in reality, I think we stay with our current WR's (unless some decent vet is out there cheap) and I think McKinney stays. He did a good job this year. I was one of his biggest critics, but he did ok this year. Would I like a new C? The Mauler you mentioned... Heck yeah. Just not sure we will be able to fill everything. I would prefer getting a future QB and shoring up the secondary (Safety and maybe a CB).

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I don't remember Poole getting hurt the year before. At least not seriously.

You know your right, my bad but its still risky to count on a CB coming back from injury.

finfan54 said:
I think we have to wait and see on the QB front. I dont think Saban wants an old vet QB. He already has one. I think he is going to wait on the Cutler situation and look at Croyle, Shockley.

No doubt we need to keep Linehan but I think Saban has already known for some time now that he is gone sooner rather than later. I think he already has people in mind and is already talking to those people getting ideas.

On the OL front, I think we get a FA G and hadnot becomes C while drafting a late rounder C/G from some unknown place. We will draft a LT for sure IMO.

WR I think is good and could simply use someone like Josh Reed who will play for Saban all out as compared to Tom Donoblow and the buffalo chips. All that is if Booker stays. If not, then we get a big FA in Wayne if possible. TO? I dont know about that one but Saban has a history of taking on bad characters and turning them around.

Is Shockley a senior? I have only watched him a couple of times he may be a nice project. Any clues where he is projected?

I think that we all should remember that there are many different ways to go to build a winner. Although I would love to have a franchise QB I think I am in the camp it sounds like Saban sides with....you have to go with what the situation dictates and no REACHING just to fit your needs. For instance, if we lost a bunch of picks to get young or linert? we would still have a bunch of holes and it would take a couple of years to get the QB up to NFL speed.....that may work although the price might be huge....I feel just as comfortable getting a stud CB in the first round, a stud safety in the second, and others in the Daniels, Crowder mode to fill needs in the 3rd and 4th......while at the same time signing and LT and a guard as FA's and using GUs again for another year. I don't like the idea of GUs again completely but I would be quite excited with the above plan I described. Our defense would be young and with a strong S and CB we would be moving to top 7 or 8 status in my opinion and with a couple more OL guys I think our offense (which was ranked #14 with GUs) would definitely progress into the top 7 or 8.....it is hard to argue with that.

The alternative....trading several picks to get Young or Linert, means the defense continues with holes or the OL (you can't fill them all with high priced FA's). but we have a better QB who will struggle as a rookie most certainly.

I am just rambling now....

BALLS DEEP said:
Ok,

Here's my take on the offseason needs for the Dolphins. As the song said in Smokey and the Bandit "We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there". I know most of you don't percieve that we are that far away, but read on.

We have to keep Linehan. I know that some of you aren't concerned...YOU SHOULD BE. Record wise, I don't know if the 8 (might be 10 at some point with the Jets and Bills) is unprecedented or not. But, that's almost 1/3 of the league looking for coaches. Yeah, there may be some college coaches that can come in. There also may be 1 or 2 coaches that just got fired who might take head coaches elsewhere. But at the end of the day, there could be 5 - 7 HC jobs that are suitable to assistant coaches.

To take care of this, I'd recommend that Huizenga back the brinks truck up to Linehan's house and make him a great deal. It won't hurt our cap and will maintain the integrity of our offensive attack. The 'Skins just did a similar thing with one of their AC's.

We need to get a high profile QB. Frerotte is a band-aid at best when it comes to the QB position. I'd love to see us get a first round QB (Linehan, Young, or Cutler.) In order to do this we need to be prepared to trade up in the first round. We need Saban's Dan Marino/John Elway. Not someone who we pick up at a steal in the 3rd or 4th round and hope we hit on. We need to get gutsy!

Obviously, we may choose to find our new QB via free agency. Maybe we pick up Patrick Ramsey from Washington. Maybe we figure out how to get Brees or Rivers (Though Brees' injury may complicate this). I'll leave it up to Saban to determine who's the right guy. BUT, we have to find THE right guy for our O. In order to properly do this, obviously we will have had to have kept Linehan around. If we haven't then we need to have a firm grasp of what our offense will ideally look like. So, we can choose the QB with the right attributes for our O. In later years, we'll obviously plan our O around the QB.

Secondary

We've all read that Madison won't renegotiate his contract to stay a Phin. We also all know that he's making way too much money to not be uber dominant (which he hasn't). So, he's going bye-bye. We also need to get rid of Reggie Howard. With Poole coming back and Daniels proving to be a stud, we still need help. We'll have to address that somehow someway.

O-Line

Sweaty ba!ls Mckinney needs to go. He just isn't the mauler we need at center. Center is the lynchpin of the whole O-line. We need someone in the mold of a Kevin Mawae. Someone who is just big strong and really really nasty! We also need to look at potentially a new LT.

WR

Chambers had a great second half! You couldn't have asked for more DURING THE SECOND HALF. What happened during the first 10 games? Are his drops over for good? Is his focus going to be as good all next year as it wqas the last six games? These questions make me a little nervous. I don't want to make this into a "Chambers sucks" thread because I don't think he sucks. Should we bring in a good WR anyways? It would depend on whose available, but I would say yes. Worse case scenario is that we add another stud WR to compliment Chambers, Booker, and sometimes Welker.

Thoughts?

Good post....

I'll add a point or two:

1. I think Booker is a goner if he doesn't restructure.
2. We definitely need another CB and maybe a safety.
3. Gus will be back IMO...this team isn't too far from completing for a spot in the playoffs, so I say we take get a high quality vet AND a rookie to groom for the future.

VManis said:

Now for the important question how did you come up with Mckinney's nickname, please tell me it isn't from first hand knowledge. :sidelol:

That's why he fumbled the snaps so many times last year. He swetas too much all over the ball. Feeley used to b!tch about it left and right.

I'm realllllllly concerned about this Linehan thing. This team was starting to gel on offense. Now they have to implement ANOTHER OC's plan? That's like the 5th new O coordiantor in the last 6 years!

BALLS DEEP said:
That's why he fumbled the snaps so many times last year. He swetas too much all over the ball. Feeley used to b!tch about it left and right.

I'm realllllllly concerned about this Linehan thing. This team was starting to gel on offense. Now they have to implement ANOTHER OC's plan? That's like the 5th new O coordiantor in the last 6 years!

Losing Linehan really would suck and it would set our offence back...I predict he'll stick around for at least one more year though.

BALLS DEEP said:
Ok,

Secondary

O-Line

WR

Thoughts?

Linehan's a high profile QB? lol Nah, I agree with the majority of what youre saying... good write-up bro.... Just fix the Linehan is a firstround QB draftee

Oboy said:
You have us filling a few holes there. Not even mentioning the Safety position. Not sure we will be able to fill everything. Getting "gutsy", if you mean trading up to get a premier QB, well then there went more of our draft picks and thus being able to fill holes. We all want that "perfect" team, but in reality, I think we stay with our current WR's (unless some decent vet is out there cheap) and I think McKinney stays. He did a good job this year. I was one of his biggest critics, but he did ok this year. Would I like a new C? The Mauler you mentioned... Heck yeah. Just not sure we will be able to fill everything. I would prefer getting a future QB and shoring up the secondary (Safety and maybe a CB).

I listed my holes by priority. Or as Madden says on defense you should "first fill the B hole then hit the A hole" :lol:

QB is the most important. Of the games we lost this year, which game (if any) would we have lost with one of the elite QB's (McNabb, Manning, Palmer, or even Plummer) behind center? If you think Chambers was lighting it up with Sage and Gus throwing it to him, imagine what he'd be doing with one of those QB's.

My point is, QB has to be the first priority after keeping Linehan (which conveniently according to the calendar, it will be). With Saban's D, we can slow the other team down enough with almost anyone at corner as long as we score consistantly on O! We need a QB to do that! It'll open up the running game! It'll cure world hunger! It'll find Waldo! An elite QB for the Dolphins will cause world peace! It must be the first priority. We have to leave no stone uncovered. We have to plant hidden microphones at the combine. We have to hire Psychics, fernologists (tell the future by reading the bumps on your head), and call Miss Cleo! All to help us find the right guy. I'll trade my unborn children to the JETS to get a shot at Young, Leinhart or Cutler. It's a MUST!

Back
Top Bottom