My take on the Vontae Davis trade | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My take on the Vontae Davis trade

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Some of you like the move. Others want to picket outside of the team's facilities to show their angst.

As Hard Knocks highlighted, Vontae has continued to struggle with the day-in and day-out, typical duties of an NFL player. He has shown no morsel of growing maturity since he has been drafted, and despite his athletic gifts, he has done nothing for himself to cement himself into any kind of starting role - whether that be in Miami or anywhere else. Call it whatever you want - laziness, failing to live up to potential, having his head up his ass... Vontae was not benefiting himself or other players around him.

The situation was actually worse than I thought with Vontae. Here's a guy that gave the perception that he wanted things handed to him without working hard or putting in 100% effort. Last season, when Smith and Davis pledged to be the best cornerback duo in the NFL...that promise failed not because of any lack of talent, but because of a lack of work ethic. It's been a long time since we had a coach that preached accountability and actually followed through with action when a player didn't buy in or live up to the expectations of the team and organization. Actually, I can't remember at any point in my lifetime where a head coach demanded more from players instead of settling for less.

I have more and more respect for Philbin every day. He continually tries to better this organization and even though in his short time here it seems like we have gotten worse, we are embarking on a change of culture in Miami Dolphins football. We have a receiver in Brandon Marshall who throws teammates under the bus, causes a raucous in the lockerroom and has many off-field issues. We trade him. We have another receiver in Chad Johnson who has three strikes before his fate is sealed. He messes up not one, not two, but three times in a short period of time. We release him. We have a corner in Vontae Davis who is letting his teammates down, failing to show them that he cares enough to get his act straight. We trade him.

I will say that the Marshall trade wasn't as fair to us as it was for Chicago, but we still got some value for a guy that the organization obviously wanted nowhere near this team.

Tell me honestly that if you were another team, and your team gave up a second-round pick for Vontae, that you would be happy. I know I wouldn't. Vontae turned into a project player for us. He is a good player. That has shown up on the field. But how in the hell are you going to be an NFL player, and the supposed best player at your position on the team, and show up to camp out of shape while looking completely lost on the field? I'm honestly surprised we got such good value from Vontae. If the Colts can help him get his head out of his ass, they got a good player. If not, and the inconsistencies continue to show throughout his career as a Colts player, then we got the better end of the trade.

Even if he goes on to have a good career, the value we got for him (likely a pick in the 30's) was good for a player in his situation.

The only qualm I have with this trade doesn't actually involve the trade itself. I wish Vontae would have figured it out while he was here. He was one of my favorite up and coming players and I thought this was going to be the year he finally put it together. His lack of maturity, motivation and work ethic sealed his fate here. That isn't the kind of player you want around other players. We need players that are going to set good examples for their teammates, not dog it and half-ass it down the field.

Well said. Agree with basically everything.

49ers are pretty happy they didn't give up on his brother after three years.

well i don't think we are hiring singletary as a coach to jerk his head out of his butt for him.

None of what you said is wrong, in my opinion anyway.

But you can't ignore the fact that we keep bringing in players who don't live up to expectation. We then have to trade them out for a net loss. I have a hard time clapping Ireland on the back for making the loss smaller than it might have been.

Ireland struggles at the "marquee" end of the player market, whether than is the draft or FA. I hope somebody in the coaching team can help him with that, if Ross keeps him on board.

I also hope that Sherman can step in and fill a little of the charisma void that Philbin has (much as I like him). A rallying point is going to be needed during a time when "quality" players are cut with no clear replacement for them and the season opener only a couple of weeks away. We need Philbin, Coyle and Sherman to really show their worth in the next fortnight and hopefully Ireland can redeem himself with a good FA trade for a WR.

Everyone is focusing on the backside of this deal. Who brought Marshall and Davis to this team? As the poster above me said, Ireland struggles with finding usable elite level talent. Giving him another 2nd round pick is like loading a gun with blanks.

I'm willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt but I think I'm done with Jeff Ireland. He can kick rocks now.

Completely agree with everything you said. Would i've loved to see Vontae become the player we expected every year? Sure. But there's only so many opportunities you can give a guy. He's been out of shape the past two seasons. Worse is that he was in terrible shape last season, got injured as a result and learnt nothing from it going into this year. There's no doubting he has pro-bowl type abilities but he's just never fulfilled them. He's had quality games and terrible ones. Just really lacked the consistency you need from a first round pick. We've had three years out of him and maybe his value depreciates by only 10 picks from where we drafted him. That's not bad. Plus a sixth rounder as well. I applaud Ireland for getting this kind of value for a player that's promised so much and realistically delivered so little. A second round pick for a player that can't beat out Sean Smith and Richard Marshall...that says it all. If he works out good for the Colts. But it's not worth passing up great value that we'd never get elsewhere. It's a stong possibility we head into next season with 3 picks in the top 40 and 5 in the first 3 rounds. Don't get me wrong...i'd much rather have Vontae than draft picks...but a Vontae that shows up in shape, plays to his ability and works for his team rather than himslf. We just haven't had that so i think we did the right thing. We're building a new culture and need reliable guys that are consistent and we can count on week in week out. But with Vontae we don't have that.

This was a terrible trade. Vontae is the best corner we've had since Madison. He is a star cornerback in this league. We had a great secondary now we have to pray no one gets hurt or we are lining up sucky Nolan Carrol.

Yeah he was kind of lazy but he wasn't embarrassing the team. On game day he is easily our best DB. I blame this stupid hard knocks show they caught him saying that he was tired and was gonna act like he was good. Then nfl network made a huge deal out of it for two days. Now those same guys on NFL Network are calling him the shutdown corner the Colts need.

I agree you need high character guys but you also need talent. A good coach can handle different types of personalities on his team.

The team is now worse and I'm a little upset about it.

he has shown what most of the fins picks have shown over the years...small glimpses that they have potential...THATS IT!!!

he has never lived up to being picked in the 1st round and to get a 2nd out of him is IMO a good job by the front office...if this was what he needed to light a fire under his @$$ and he gets better because of it well then good luck to him and the colts

This was a terrible trade. Vontae is the best corner we've had since Madison. He is a star cornerback in this league.

okay? tell us about all the picks hes had since he's come into the league...tell us how hes won us games since hes been drafted because madison and surtain WON US GAMES...vonte was a fantastic looking specimine of a cornerback but HE NEVER MADE ANY PLAYS...

Id rather have traded smith because smith doesnt like contact IMO but vonte has done nothing for this team...

This hurts our secondary depth but overall I don't have a problem with getting rid of Davis. I respect their decision that the player was not the kind of person they wanted on their team. What concerns me about this trade is all the talk of using picks to trade for a WR. It smells of desperation, and I'm sure we won't get good value when trading for a WR because of that. My worst fear is that we will give up a potential top 5 pick for someone like Wallace. I have got to believe that our front office and coaching staff knew that it could not address all our needs in one offseason. Now it seems that when confronted with how bad the team appears to be that it will abandon it's plan and morgage the future to be a little better today. I'd like to see one or two more draft with our full complement of picks before we get rid of Ireland. Overall I like the players we picked in this years draft and am not ready to giveup on them. Patience is a virtue

Some of you like the move. Others want to picket outside of the team's facilities to show their angst.

As Hard Knocks highlighted, Vontae has continued to struggle with the day-in and day-out, typical duties of an NFL player. He has shown no morsel of growing maturity since he has been drafted, and despite his athletic gifts, he has done nothing for himself to cement himself into any kind of starting role - whether that be in Miami or anywhere else. Call it whatever you want - laziness, failing to live up to potential, having his head up his ass... Vontae was not benefiting himself or other players around him.

The situation was actually worse than I thought with Vontae. Here's a guy that gave the perception that he wanted things handed to him without working hard or putting in 100% effort. Last season, when Smith and Davis pledged to be the best cornerback duo in the NFL...that promise failed not because of any lack of talent, but because of a lack of work ethic. It's been a long time since we had a coach that preached accountability and actually followed through with action when a player didn't buy in or live up to the expectations of the team and organization. Actually, I can't remember at any point in my lifetime where a head coach demanded more from players instead of settling for less.

I have more and more respect for Philbin every day. He continually tries to better this organization and even though in his short time here it seems like we have gotten worse, we are embarking on a change of culture in Miami Dolphins football. We have a receiver in Brandon Marshall who throws teammates under the bus, causes a raucous in the lockerroom and has many off-field issues. We trade him. We have another receiver in Chad Johnson who has three strikes before his fate is sealed. He messes up not one, not two, but three times in a short period of time. We release him. We have a corner in Vontae Davis who is letting his teammates down, failing to show them that he cares enough to get his act straight. We trade him.

I will say that the Marshall trade wasn't as fair to us as it was for Chicago, but we still got some value for a guy that the organization obviously wanted nowhere near this team.

Tell me honestly that if you were another team, and your team gave up a second-round pick for Vontae, that you would be happy. I know I wouldn't. Vontae turned into a project player for us. He is a good player. That has shown up on the field. But how in the hell are you going to be an NFL player, and the supposed best player at your position on the team, and show up to camp out of shape while looking completely lost on the field? I'm honestly surprised we got such good value from Vontae. If the Colts can help him get his head out of his ass, they got a good player. If not, and the inconsistencies continue to show throughout his career as a Colts player, then we got the better end of the trade.

Even if he goes on to have a good career, the value we got for him (likely a pick in the 30's) was good for a player in his situation.

The only qualm I have with this trade doesn't actually involve the trade itself. I wish Vontae would have figured it out while he was here. He was one of my favorite up and coming players and I thought this was going to be the year he finally put it together. His lack of maturity, motivation and work ethic sealed his fate here. That isn't the kind of player you want around other players. We need players that are going to set good examples for their teammates, not dog it and half-ass it down the field.

and buyers remorse will soon set in like obama in 2009.

davis is over rated underachieving,low character,lazy excuse for a cb.He doesnt fit our new system and im glad we got what we did for him.I think Jimmy Wilson moves back to cb and Russel makes team,Coyle turned Bengals secondary into a asset with less talent than we have.Give it time and be patient!

What does that have to do with Vontae? Because they are brothers does not mean Vontae will get anything turned around.

Back
Top Bottom