My thinking at #13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My thinking at #13

jimthefin

Club Member
Reaction score
I have been around and around on this and this is where I am right now.

It looks to me like some combination of Hargreaves/Mckensie/Apple, Lawson/Robinson/Spence and Lee/Ragland will be available for the Fins to choose from.

In fact I expect most if not all of them to be on the board.

Personally I do not like either Lb at 13 so they are off my board.

I am ignoring OL here as while there might be solid value at 13 they are guys who i am not sure can play LT and I do not wish to repeat the Juwan James play of taking a RT or OG this high.

Now it is pretty clear that the biggest need on defense is CB but this looks to be a pretty deep class and a CB could well be found in Round 2.

It could also be argued that long term DE is a bigger need as Wake and Williams are not spring chickens and a starting caliber CB is easier to find than a 10 sack type DE.

After saying all that what I come down to is the best combination of value and need at #13 looks to be one of Hargreaves/Mckensie/, Lawson/Robinson.

While neither of the CB's appears to be a perfect system fit as press corners who says Miami is locked into using them that way?Why can't Maxwell press the more physical WR while Hargreaves/Mckensie plays off the speedier one?I think a sign of a good coach is being flexible with his system.

Now lets talk about Lawson and Robinson.Both are young for their draft class which makes them intriguing prospects.How much upside is there with these two, just how much can they improve?

Robinson looks to be a pretty scheme diverse guy but he is an interior player and Miami has a 2nd rounder(Phillips) and a ton of cash(Suh) invested there already.So Lawson probably makes more sense from a need standpoint than Robinson.

So this is where I end up, Lawson or Hargreaves/Mckensie at #13.And I am leaning toward Shaq Lawson since it looks more likely that the Fins could address Cb in Round 2.

I am curious to hear what the forum thinks knowing full well that beyond my impeccable logic :D that many may not care for Lawson or Hargreaves/Mckensie.

I don't think that would be a bad pick. If all of those players are there, I'd probably go with Hargreaves. I love his cover skills, but I am left wondering how Miami views him. Cincy had a small corner in Adam Jones, but I do think the Dolphins are looking to be more like the Seahawks with physical, bigger players there.

Lawson does make a lot of sense, though. Wake and Williams probably don't have many years left.

No love for WJIII at 13?

There's only one year under TBaum's tenure to find any sort of pattern for this team. You have his time in NY to look at, but does he want to repeat that? Last year he jettisoned a (arguably) productive player while adding filler at WR, but still leaving a big hole, which he addressed in round 1. Does history repeat itself with the CB position? It's only speculation, but the strings are there. Jackson and Apple are very much in play.

No love for WJIII at 13?

There's only one year under TBaum's tenure to find any sort of pattern for this team. You have his time in NY to look at, but does he want to repeat that? Last year he jettisoned a (arguably) productive player while adding filler at WR, but still leaving a big hole, which he addressed in round 1. Does history repeat itself with the CB position? It's only speculation, but the strings are there. Jackson and Apple are very much in play.

Was T-Baum the one who drafted Revis and Harris in New York? If so, those were excellent picks.

Yeah, but as noted in the main forum, he drafted Sanchez, Wilson and Coples, too.

Lawson does nothing for me. Very, very solid player, but I agree with comparisons to Upshaw and, more so, Brandon Graham. Solid starter, but not really someone who you see becoming elite or changing a game too much.

Obviously if you do not see Lawson as a 10 sack type guy then he would be a reach at 13.

In that case the best CB would make the most sense.

Yeah, but as noted in the main forum, he drafted Sanchez, Wilson and Coples, too.

Lawson does nothing for me. Very, very solid player, but I agree with comparisons to Upshaw and, more so, Brandon Graham. Solid starter, but not really someone who you see becoming elite or changing a game too much.

I think his teammate, Kevin Dodd, has more upside. Looks like a better pass rusher for sure.

I'd prefer Lawson over any DB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard about the scheme incompatibility with Hargreaves, but he is so technically sound at his position that I think its too much to pass on him if he falls to 13. So I'm in agreement with you there.

I think his teammate, Kevin Dodd, has more upside. Looks like a better pass rusher for sure.

I'll be sick if the Dolphins take Dodd. He doesn't meet any of the conditions I look for in a top pick. In fact, he's exactly the opposite in every category:

* Instead of a long term proven producer he's a one year guy
* Instead of a fluid athlete he moves quite clumsily
* Instead of a metrics star he flunked the numbers in key categories

I really don't understand why he's considered in the first round. Granted, I look at an overview more than that player set aside. But in this case you are asking for one lower percentage aspect after another to mean nothing. I'd far prefer Lawson to Dodd.

Last season I dreaded Miami taking either Danny Shelton or Trae Waynes. This year Dodd is the one name who is in that same category, although maybe not quite as disgust worthy.

I'll be sick if the Dolphins take Dodd. He doesn't meet any of the conditions I look for in a top pick. In fact, he's exactly the opposite in every category:

* Instead of a long term proven producer he's a one year guy
* Instead of a fluid athlete he moves quite clumsily
* Instead of a metrics star he flunked the numbers in key categories

I really don't understand why he's considered in the first round. Granted, I look at an overview more than that player set aside. But in this case you are asking for one lower percentage aspect after another to mean nothing. I'd far prefer Lawson to Dodd.

Last season I dreaded Miami taking either Danny Shelton or Trae Waynes. This year Dodd is the one name who is in that same category, although maybe not quite as disgust worthy.

Couldn't agree more. Before putting a final grade on an Edge, I give them grades for physical tools and production. Dodd is an F/F - the only F/F currently projected in the first three rounds. Lawson, by contrast, is a B/B. Lawson's career sack numbers keep him from B/A. He hit his other marks. I spent most of yesterday finishing up DT, WR, and Edge. Still finalizing Edge, but I'll probably end up giving Lawson a 25-40 grade, which pains me to say, because I put up such a fuss about him not being worth a 1st.

It still amazes me Dodd is considered a first round pick and Nassib is not. I have them both in the second round with Nassib being the better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom