My Thoughts on the Game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Thoughts on the Game

JTech194

Starter
Reaction score
First the positives.

1. Very impressed by the offensive line and TE's: This unit has been the ruptured Achilles heel of this team for years but yesterday they not only looked competent (which was my ceiling of expectation this season) but they looked GOOD. Blocked for a 100 yard rusher and only gave up once sack against a damn good pass rushing team. Anthony Steen stood out to me, noticed him a few times pulling to get good block at the second level

2. Jay Cutler was fun to watch. His awareness was great, made some smart throws, was pretty accurate, didn't force any passes, and was content throwing the ball underneath to Landry when other receivers weren't open. He did miss Landry in the end zone for a TD but nobody's perfect.

3. Run defense - If the offensive line was the ruptured Achilles heel of the team then the run defense was the torn ACL. Holding a pretty good running back to what.. 44 yards rushing was EXCELLENT. The Dline and LB's were exceptional in stopping the run and that's going to be key this year if we want to compete.

4. Landry: Continues to be the best receiver we have on this team and is the lifeblood of the offense. Not sure what we'd do without him as he's the type of player that's so involved in the offense that possibly losing him scares the crap out of me. Parker and Stills might get you 4-5 maybe 6 catches a game But Landry is fully integrated in the offense and is a major cog just as

I don't want to sound overly negative but I saw things that concerned me in your positive points.

1. While the O-line helped produce a 120 yard rusher, there were problems. Tunsil and James struggled to contain Ingram and Bosa. I believe the quick passing game in the 1st half was employed because Gase knew they would struggle. They did a good job in the second half to allow Cutler some time to find downfield throws. I have to disagree on Steen. He looks overwhelmed at Guard. I thought Jesse Davis did alright and will probably get more snaps going forward.

2. Cutler' pocket awareness was refreshing, but at times he seemed to have happy feet. I also had issues with his ball placement. Parker bailed him out on that deep lob and Landry bailed him out a couple of times on short throws over the middle. Not only did he miss that TD to Landry, I thought he could've thrown a better ball to Parker in the end zone. If he threw the ball on more of a line and toward the outside pylon...like a backshoulder ball...Parker probably gets a TD rather than the pass being broken up. That would have been an important score.

3. Run defense was good overall. Still saw some concerning plays where Hull got washed out of he play. Kiko Alonso doesn't seem to have a good understanding of leverage and gap control. He constantly overpursues and runs himself into blocks.

4. Agree that there is no substitute for Landry's energy. He picks up the whole offense. I do wish that Gase would find more offensive snaps for Grant. He is our matchup problem for defenses.

I don't want to sound overly negative but I saw things that concerned me in your positive points.

1. While the O-line helped produce a 120 yard rusher, there were problems. Tunsil and James struggled to contain Ingram and Bosa. I believe the quick passing game in the 1st half was employed because Gase knew they would struggle. They did a good job in the second half to allow Cutler some time to find downfield throws. I have to disagree on Steen. He looks overwhelmed at Guard. I thought Jesse Davis did alright and will probably get more snaps going forward.

2. Cutler' pocket awareness was refreshing, but at times he seemed to have happy feet. I also had issues with his ball placement. Parker bailed him out on that deep lob and Landry bailed him out a couple of times on short throws over the middle. Not only did he miss that TD to Landry, I thought he could've thrown a better ball to Parker in the end zone. If he threw the ball on more of a line and toward the outside pylon...like a backshoulder ball...Parker probably gets a TD rather than the pass being broken up. That would have been an important score.

3. Run defense was good overall. Still saw some concerning plays where Hull got washed out of he play. Kiko Alonso doesn't seem to have a good understanding of leverage and gap control. He constantly overpursues and runs himself into blocks.

4. Agree that there is no substitute for Landry's energy. He picks up the whole offense. I do wish that Gase would find more offensive snaps for Grant. He is our matchup problem for defenses.

Agree, Gase needs to incorporate Grant into the offense more. Looks like Miami has a nice balance going with run and pass and I think San Diego has a better than average defense. So that bodes well.

The main concern, week 1, looks to be the passing defense. Very few balls hit the ground yesterday for RIvers. Got to find a pass rush to have a chance this year.

The main concern, week 1, looks to be the passing defense. Very few balls hit the ground yesterday for RIvers. Got to find a pass rush to have a chance this year.

1. I wish I had an answer, but the Chargers attacked just as I thought they would. Those crossing routes by WRs continue to kill us. It's strange because I think we're in zone, yet there is so much room underneath.
  2. I also hate how often the CBs are in off coverage. Neither Howard nor Maxwell play well that way.
  3. Good TEs will be a problem. We just don't have a good matchup to cover TEs.
  4. I get that the zone on the backend is supposed to work in concert with a consistent pass rush, but we saw what happens when there is no consistent rush...we get picked apart. Plus, most of our blitzes yesterday were ineffective in providing pressure.

gordon only had 13 yards rushing.
also the play off the game believe it or not was when landry drew that 15 yard penalty provoking one of the chargers player which swung us into chargers territory and significantly changed momentum.

Agree with everything you said besides James vs Bosa. It was my biggest fear going into the game tbh. I thought James stepped up in a tremendous way. Bosa is a pure game changing monster and he really wasn't getting what I thought he would get. Tunsil seems like he has it physically but is just an adjustment period. It's still a new position to him as an NFL player anyways. Good points though!!! Just happy to be 1-0 especially seeing what our Offense is potentially capable of. Gase finally told Cutler to let it fly in the 2nd half. Very impressed with Cutler on and off the field as a teammate. I truly in non biased way believe Ajayi is the NFL's best RB. Put Ajayi on the Cowboys line and he reaches crazy numbers. Ajayi is our MVP and showed we need him to continue to play like that. It was nice to ruin their 17 game without a 100 yd rusher streak lol
PHINS UP!!!

1. I wouldn't say they struggled to contain Bosa and Ingram, those guys are pretty darn good and will make plays, that's expected. Neither of those guys were had a major impact on the game. One sack, a few pressures but nothing constant, no strips sacks etc...

2. His ball placement wasn't perfect but I don't expect perfection, there will be miscues overall though i think he took what was there and made things happen when the pocket broke down.

3. We're talking about Hull... our backup LB.. those things will happen, but overall to hold Ingram to 44 yards rushing.... I can't complain.

4. I agree, Grant has to be targeted, I'd rather him get a few of those WR screens that Landry got.

Back
Top Bottom