My "Way too early to tell" Mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Fin Thirteen, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

1. J. Banks CB
    The pick of CBs in this year's draft. Perfect clay for Coyle to mould into a playmaker.

2a. C. Carradine DE
    He's a 6'4" mongoose - patient, elusive, fast and lethal. No other pass rusher shouts "difference-maker" to me like he does.

2b. S. Bailey WR
    The draft's most pro-ready WR, imo. Fast, physical, precise and a TD machine.

3a. Aaron Dobson WR
    Tall, fast receiver with great timing on the catch and good YAC ability.

3b. M. Hyde CB
    Under-rated CB who is excellent in press man and has the pace to stay in his WRs hip pocket

4. O. Uzzi OG
    Mobile, strong guard suited to ZBS. Not big enough for man schemes so should be there in the 4th. Anchor of an O-line that averages around 300yds rushing.

5. J. Stoneburner TE
    Playing out of position at WR this season, Stoneburner is a great all-round TE - probably the most under-rated in the draft.

6. D. Square DT (/DE)
    Needs 20 more pounds or so to play DT. Anchors the inside well, but has good penetration ability too and an eye for a sack. A leader and has the work ethic.

7. K. Alonso ILB
    This guy has mid-round talent, so I'm banking on past character concerns and him being a PAC-12 player in the shadow of Dion Jordan and Michael Clay to slide. It's probably unlikely, but there are a lot of LBs in this draft. Alonso is always around the ball, decisive, physical and holds off blockers or snags opponents with very long arms.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  2. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Think those first four picks are pretty close to ideal.

3. Fin Thirteen

I tried to focus on players who could help turn around our awful record with gamechanging plays - long range TDs, interceptions, sacks, tackles for loss, fumbles forced and recovered.

We have drafted very competent players every year. The core of the team is pretty solid and fairly young. What we need now are guys who can turn us from a team who is in every game to a team that dictates games.

There are a bunch of other guys I like too - esp at WR (Tavarres King, Kenny Stills, Anthony Amos, Markus Wheaton. I like Patton and his ridiculous YAC ability but I worry about his catching technique in the NFL and a WCO in particular).

I like Gayle at DE, in terms of draft value, but none of the Werners, Mingos, Montgomerys, Okafors etc stick out as destructive influences the way that Carradine does.

I don't know what the official knock is on Micah Hyde that has him as a 3rd rounder, but I see a great CB in the making.

Stoneburner in another year and not having had to play WR would be a second rounder. For such a receiving threat he's an effective blocker and gives 100%. How a guy like Ertz (who screams bust to me) could be rated above him I don't know.

Alonso in the 7th is maybe a pipe dream, but guys with question marks fall all the time, so here's hoping!

4. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

That would be an awesome draft. I go back and forth between Banks and Milliner as the top corner, but either would be great. Carradine might end up going in the first. Combining Bailey with a bigger receiver like Dobson makes sense.

5. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Dont see us going two WR's early. Its just not in the cards. I see TE early and a one WR in the first 5 picks but not in the first round. I see CB and Safety in this draft for sure. Two CB, one early, one late, and Safety is good in this draft. If any draft guru did not take a safety in this draft IMO they would be falling shorter than they should.

6. Fin Thirteen

As you say, I've doubled on CBs because we are very light in the position, but with Jones, Clemons, Wilson and possibly Marshall all safety candidates for next season, I think we can manage without drafting a safety. A very solid safety like Jefferson will start day one but doesn't give you interceptions or sacks. A guy like Eric Reid will give you those but won't be ready to start in the first year, imo. I'm not sure which safety would be an automatic starter and give us turnovers.

7. Fin Thirteen

The only TE worth drafting early is Eifert, imo.

Gragg is next best in the 3rd or so. Ertz is a bust waiting to happen, from my pov. Fauria doesn't block and we already have one of those.

8. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Any GM (drafting for Miami) worth his salt would look at this draft class, and, unless Eifert falls to the 2nd (and assuming there isn't a better player on the board), go for two WR's in the early rounds before he goes 1 and 1 with WR and TE. Should be some real playmakers in the first few rounds at WR. TE . . . I don't feel as good about. And that's what Miami needs - guys who can make plays in the passing game.

9. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

I like it, Thirteen. Stedman Bailey has a toughness and competitiveness that i really like.

10. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Looks like you have most of our needs covered....I really love Stedman Bailey and I would take him with our 2A pick as I wouldn't want to risk losing him. Bailey catches the ball in traffic better than any smaller receiver I have seen....right up there with Steve Smith of the Panthers. Bailey can have bigger guys all over him and he still finds a way to come down with the ball and he is strong and tough for a 5'10" guy. Banks at CB would also be sweet. Looking forward to the draft. :up:

11. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

I almost puked when I saw micah hyde.. that man is a liability and I dont want him anywhere near the dolphins. I haven't missed a hawkeye game in a long long time. no thanks to hyde.

12. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

sorry to go off about the hyde deal... i didn't really almost puke. that was a vast overexageration, but I do not want him in south florida.

as for omoregie uzzie, I have read a lot of him wanting to enroll in graduate school, so I have my doubts he will come out, but even if he did, I think he's a 3rd rounder and will be gone before our fourth round pick.

carradine IMO is a first rounder.

for me its something more like

1. Bjoern Werner
    2. De Andre hopkins... unless his stock continues to soar... IMO there will be a good WR available here. I like a lot of different combination of WRs here.
    2b. david amerson
    3. Robert Lester
    3b. Jordan Reed

I like guys like AJ Klein to fill in as depth in the middle rounds. Other guys I have targeted but haven't placed in a mock yet are chris thompson, roy roundtree, ryan swope, da rick rodgers, cordarrelle patterson, brandon mcgee, cj fiedorowicz and jake knott.

I like you positions addressed in your mock, just would have other guys in there I guess... It's hard work though placing guys and making it fit the team needs... I've been going back and forth for a month or so now... so kudos to the work you have put in.

13. Fin Thirteen

Interested to hear what you don't like about Hyde. You've seen more of him than me obviously, but I've watched a bit of game footage (not video highlights) and come away impressed with his physicality, his pace and his instincts.

Carradine might go in the first, but there are only so many DE/OLBs the NFL needs in round one. Jones, Mingo, Montgomery, Werner, Jordan (?), Buchanan, Okafor, Moore.... All possible first rounders, not to mention a good handful of DTs. So I'm hopeful that Carradines only recent rise to prominence might keep him a 2nd rounder.

14. PhinSoldia

PhinSoldia Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

i actually see 2 WR early and no TE actually...just my gut feeling that they are going to give Egnew a shot to get out of dumpsville

15. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

theres certainly a lot to like about hyde. he was a starter for quite awhile here. But that's not really saying much I don't think. Iowa has a knack for picking up the countrys leftovers, and thats exactly what hyde was. He was a great highschool athlete, from ohio. He was a good qb and good on defense as well, but nobody hardly gave him a sniff from a recruiting standpoint, so Iowa jumped right in.

Things that bother me about hyde. How he vitrually always plays at a 7-8 yard cushion, and always gives up the underneath route. which is fine if your talking about not giving up a big play. but he gives up chunk yardage all day long too... I'd like to see him get more physical and close that gap. make the WR work for every yard. He has a tendency to miss tackles. He's very streaky... He will play like **** for 4 games, than be a spark for a game or two, maybe go back to being **** for a month... etc etc

I see him out of position quite a bit. I think mostly to his off coverage. He has a tendency to bite on a double move and get burned. However, he does have some pretty good closing speed and has made some interceptions even though he was beat badly. Usually due to underthrown balls, but you have to give him credit either way.

He can dazzle you with punt returns, or he can call a fair catch, and than not catch the ball and let it roll idley to inside the 10 yard line. I don't think his hips are good enough to rotate and go with the top wr's in the league, although his top end speed is above average. The hawks tried moving him to free safety I think his soph year, and I think it only lasted two games. DOnt recall if it was due to injury or because he just plain stunk at it.

He probably has some similarities to ex hawk amari spievey.. although I think amari would take insult to that comment. amari was very good in run support, and I dont think micah is near as consistent in run support.

I think his tackling gets blown out of proportion as far being a sure tackler. I've seen him miss several and as I've mentioned he can get burnt with a juke move. I think the ISU game in 2011 he got absolutley worked by todd blythe, and I remember that being the difference in the game. maybe it was 2010. either way it was not good.

there was rumors his draft stock was falling due to his pub intox and interference arrests early this year, which I don't buy. I think the fact of the matter is, people, (scouts), are down on him and that is why.. the kid didnt' get in trouble in 3+years until that arrest. Although as a captain, one would hope the guy would set an example and stay out of trouble but college kids drink, who cares. running from the cops is a bit immature, and getting caught in two blocks is even worse, although I myself have been tossed around by an iowa city cop or two in my day, they never caught me in two blocks...

I see hyde as a 3rd down cb, or maybe a special teamer. nothing above a 4-5th round pick IMO... but I'm no expert.

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

carradine hurt a knee yesterday and he acted like it was serious on the sideline...i don't like his strength at the poa but i do like his edge explosion and upside...i think he's a worthy top 50 pick as a situational edge rusher i don't think he's a 3 down de from jump