My wish about Notre Dame | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My wish about Notre Dame

F

finswin56

I would love to see Notre Dame join the Big Ten.
First, they already play about four Big Ten teams per year.
Second, I hate how the Big Ten's schedule works. The teams don't all play each other, and there's no conference championship game. I find it absurd.
Adding another team, especially an important program would be great for college football. The Big Ten would end up with 12 teams, and be forced to play a championship game.

Even with two divisions, the Big Ten could still keep it's top rivalries like the SEC does. Every year UF plays LSU, Georgia plays Auburn, UT plays Alabama...

Having a top team be independent just throws more ambiguity to the largely subjective BCS. Notre Dame would have to adjust some of it's other games, but it wouldn't ruin anything. The games against the service academies are antiquated. I realize ND is doing those schools a favor, but it's time to move on.

The reality is that there's very little chance of this happening, especially with ND having their lucrative TV deal with NBC. I just think this would be a great thing for college football.

Will never happen. Notre Dame will have to split the money with the Big 10. As a independent they get to keep it all. With that huge Network contract they have they will never go to a conference. It would be interesting but In the end its all about the money.

finswin56 said:
I would love to see Notre Dame join the Big Ten.
First, they already play about four Big Ten teams per year.
Second, I hate how the Big Ten's schedule works. The teams don't all play each other, and there's no conference championship game. I find it absurd.
Adding another team, especially an important program would be great for college football. The Big Ten would end up with 12 teams, and be forced to play a championship game.

Even with two divisions, the Big Ten could still keep it's top rivalries like the SEC does. Every year UF plays LSU, Georgia plays Auburn, UT plays Alabama...

Having a top team be independent just throws more ambiguity to the largely subjective BCS. Notre Dame would have to adjust some of it's other games, but it wouldn't ruin anything. The games against the service academies are antiquated. I realize ND is doing those schools a favor, but it's time to move on.

The reality is that there's very little chance of this happening, especially with ND having their lucrative TV deal with NBC. I just think this would be a great thing for college football.
Two problems with that scenerio:

The first you hit right on the head ($)

Second ... the Big Ten? ND already plays every other sport in the Big East.

Bumpus said:
Two problems with that scenerio:

The first you hit right on the head ($)

Second ... the Big Ten? ND already plays every other sport in the Big East.
You're right I completely forgot about that.
Joining the B.E. in football would be just fine with me, although the Big Ten would still have a horrible intraconference scheduling issue.

it makes the most sense to join the big east, but that would leave ND with the most ridiculous out-of-conference schedule ever...michigan, michigan state, and USC would all be locks.

It will not happen. Over the last decade ND and the Big Ten have been in talks about joining the conference in all sports but football. The Big Ten and ND refuse to budge on the fact that unless it involves football they will never join the conference.

UF Fin Kat said:
it makes the most sense to join the big east, but that would leave ND with the most ridiculous out-of-conference schedule ever...michigan, michigan state, and USC would all be locks.

That would make up for their relatively easy in-conference schedule. Just look at some of the ridiculously easy games ND scheduled this year. I would love ND to join a conference, but like everyone else, I don't think they will.

Wont happen as long as we have the TV deal. I think the money we get from bowls was changed so we no longer get the full amount so that wouldnt really be an issue any more. Plus we're Notre Dame, we dont need to stinking conference! I could see it hurting our chances to get a BCS game also since we'd have to follow the same rules as everyone else. Wisconsin has 1 loss and isnt getting one, if ND were in the Big 10 they'd be in the same situation. And a 10 or 11 win ND team not getting a big bowl will make sponsors cry.

Repeatedly offered a Big 10 slot, yes.
It is about money, first off. Look at Notre Dame's licensing agreements, contracts, and the bowl split ordeal (discussed above).

Also, Notre Dame likes to schedule flex teams and keep tradition. Navy will ALWAYS be on Notre Dame's schedule, and usually at least 1 more service academy. Combine that with other non-Big 10 teams they play annually (USC, etc) and it doesn't give them the flexibility to schedule a big out of conference like Tennessee a couple yrs back, for example.

What the Big 10 needs more than Notre Dame is a Championship game. That is my only gripe at all about the conference. Would love to see it.

If Notre Dame signs with the Big 10 they lose their exclusive television deal with NBC because the Big 10 conference in under contract with ABC. Notre Dame gets so much revenue from television that they would be stupid to go to the Big 10 and split pot with a bunch of other schools when they just can continue to be Independent, get all the revenue from their television deal, and still play a bunch of Big 10 teams. The only thing stopping Notre Dame from joining the Big 10 is their exclusive television deal and as long as NBC is willing to pony up the money to keep ND on their network, Notre Dame isn't going to any conference!

Notre Dame would suffer the same fate Penn State did when they enter the Big Ten...no more National Championships. The Big Ten is the tougest conference top to bottom and Notre Dame would find out the hard way like the Nittany Lions did.

My wish for ND is that they lose by 21+ this weekend

Back
Top Bottom