Nagging Questions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nagging Questions

AJ Duhe

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
As a fan...a well read and knowledgeable fan...I am plagued by unanswered questions throughout the season. I think most of us as fans wonder if Ross is asking himself the same questions as an owner.

For Ireland
1. Did you consult with the coaching staff on how he would be used before trading up for Dion Jordan? Was the way he was used part of the original plan and understanding with the coaching staff or did something change?
2. After losing Jake Long and getting sub par performances from Martin and Jerry in the previous year, why didn't you put a higher priority on OL in the draft and free agency?
3. Did you consult with coaches and scouts regarding the decision to replace Dansby and Burnett with Ellerbe and Wheeler? Did someone on the coaching staff push for the signings, or were you the main advocate for their signing?
4. At any point did you talk to Richie Incognito about his behavior both with the team and outside the building? Did you encourage him to seek counseling?

For Philbin
1. Do you feel you have the players to implement the offensive and defensive philosophies you want? If not, why? Do you need more support from the scouting department and GM to get the type of players you want?
2. You touted an up tempo offense and attacking defense when hired. Why have neither been fully implemented after 2 seasons?
3. Why are some players that are playing below expectations still starting (Jerry, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Miller) when there are other options on the roster? In the preseason, you base playing time on practice and game performance. Is the same standard applied during the season?
4. Same question about Incognito that was posed to Ireland

AJ - I will just focus on the Irish questions.
(1) I think that your Dion Jordan question is off the mark. He is going to be a big asset but needs to get at least 15 lbs bigger and physically stronger. His rehab from off season surgery set him back and he was never going to be a big contributor this season. I think that the game plan was always to slowly teach him and limit the reps. I can recall a question to Kevin Coyle in a press conference where he was asked why his reps were limited and he gave that candid answer and elaborated further that it would be the same in future games. Frankly I do not concur with the panic from some quarters re Jordan. The coaching staff did a good job in developing Olivier Vernon this season and had the luxury of not having to rush Jordan along. It is difficult to find good pass rushers and we are set for the future with a lot of talent. Make no mistake, the coaching staff were consulted re the Jordan draft pick and they were strongly supportive (this came out the day after he was drafted and I believe it). He is the player they wanted but the timeline is just a bit longer. However, he is still a 6' 6"+ high risk, high reward draft pick. Time will tell if JI's gamble pays off.

(2) The Offensive Line question is the big question. And I wouldn't underestimate the possibility that Jake Long knew Incognito was a sociopath who delighted in giving Martin hell and Big Jake took the opportunity to get as far away as possible. St Louis or Miami? Where would you and your beautiful, stylish wife prefer to live if you were worth over $40M? If we allegedly offered him more, why did he end up leaving? Jake did not have the reputation as a hell raiser, maybe he was also uncomfortable at the mandatory all night strip club team meetings that Richie organized, as well.

(3) The expensive slow linebackers who could tackle were replaced by expensive linebackers who struggle to tackle. It's a good question and I can only presume that Coyle and Regis's follicle challenged brother wanted the change and expected a lot more from the guys we acquired. Ellerbe can still be decent but Wheeler is a very expensive disappointment (cough BUST), particularly when you consider the high success that Buffalo had with Kiko Alonso drafted in the 2nd round. I presume that Jeff and the boys in the scouting department noticed Kiko when they looked at all of the Dion Jordan video. (Incidentally, Dion's best friend and roommate at Oregon was Kiko). The irony is that by cutting Dansby, he ended up back in Arizona with something to prove. He got himself fully fit and had his best season since the previous one in AZ, 3 years ago.

(4) Good luck getting a straight answer from JI re this question. Do the mandatory O-line team meetings led by Richie at the Ft Lauderdale strip club count as a form of professional counseling if he was respectful and made J-Mart give them big tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but to be honest...it sounds like you probably know more than Ross does about football...I don't think he knows the questions to even ask at this point (But don't worry, I'm sure he will appoint a committee to figure that all out the day after the good coaching prospects are gone...)

@ Spiketex

Appreciate the answer on Jordan, but here's another one back to you… would you really draft a project at the 3rd overall spot in the draft?

@ Spiketex

Appreciate the answer on Jordan, but here's another one back to you… would you really draft a project at the 3rd overall spot in the draft?

Yes. If he's good enough. Ireland was greatly influenced by his DeMarcus Ware draft pick in Dallas 9 years ago. Truly great pass rushing DE's like Lawrence Taylor and Ware are rare, but can make an incredible contribution. Actually, when I saw that we moved up to the #3 spot and the commentators were speculating about O-linemen, I remarked to my friend that I bet that it was for Jordan. I still strongly support the decision, but it is high risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Jordan, Ross said that everyone in the building was on the bandwagon. They all need to go.

Back
Top Bottom