NBA Offseason | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NBA Offseason

The Howard dream isn't over yet......just put on hold for a bit.

If you look beyond the contract, the Nets traded nothing for one of the better SGs in the game. I don't see how that's a bad thing. And if its what convinced Williams to stay, then hes worth every penny.

I don't think that team is going to contend without Howard but they may already be a top 3 team in the east, depending on what happens with Rose. To me you have to put Deron in the conversation as the next best player in the conference, and trending downward or not, Wallace and Johnson are pretty good players. If Avery can coax some sort of defense out of guys like Lopez not really known for their prowess on that end of the court then they can be a pretty good team.

And you know what, give Billy King some credit. This team was nothing when he took over and now hes going to Brooklyn with one of the best players in the league and at the very least a solid playoff squad. For all the criticism he got for giving up too much......who would you rather have, Williams or Favors, Kanter, and Harris? Its not even close.

He deserves all the criticism he gets. He created yet another team that's going to be a first round exit every year. Maybe 2nd round a time or 2 but no chance at a championship. And I'd say Dwight to the Nets is pretty much over unless Dwight takes a serious pay cut.

wow...nash with the lakeshow...nash is nice but he can't defend the position to save his life

He deserves all the criticism he gets. He created yet another team that's going to be a first round exit every year. Maybe 2nd round a time or 2 but no chance at a championship. And I'd say Dwight to the Nets is pretty much over unless Dwight takes a serious pay cut.

If Howard goes to the Nets it will be for the same basic grouping of players that they were offering before. Its not like the Nets are going to let Lopez and Humphries walk. I'm sure the Magic are trying to find a better deal.....if Dwight has sufficiently scared off the rest of the league then he goes to the Nets, if not he goes somewhere else. And hes not taking a pay cut to sign with anyone.

Two years ago the Nets had nothing and today they have a star, without which it is pretty much impossible to build a contender. Without Dwight they're not an immediate contender, and no doubt it will be very difficult to make the moves needed to get past Miami. But its possible, which is a lot more than can be said for about 11 other eastern conference teams.

I still think the Lakers won't be that much better next year.

If Howard goes to the Nets it will be for the same basic grouping of players that they were offering before. Its not like the Nets are going to let Lopez and Humphries walk. I'm sure the Magic are trying to find a better deal.....if Dwight has sufficiently scared off the rest of the league then he goes to the Nets, if not he goes somewhere else. And hes not taking a pay cut to sign with anyone.

Two years ago the Nets had nothing and today they have a star, without which it is pretty much impossible to build a contender. Without Dwight they're not an immediate contender, and no doubt it will be very difficult to make the moves needed to get past Miami. But its possible, which is a lot more than can be said for about 11 other eastern conference teams.

Dwight is an absolute pipe dream at this point. Pretty much impossible if Teletovic gets the full MLE. Billy King landed Deron, and then ****ed up everything else to become a perennial first round exit.

No, its not impossible. The only thing going over the luxury tax would do is force them to postpone any trade until the season starts. Its not like Orlando is in any hurry.

No, its not impossible. The only thing going over the luxury tax would do is force them to postpone any trade until the season starts. Its not like Orlando is in any hurry.

Hard cap. They can't go over it. Which they will if Teletovic gets the full MLE. So yes, it was impossible. Now that Teletovic agreed to the mini-MLE, that won't happen. But it's still an absolute pipe dream. Unless they plan on having a team with only a few players worth a damn, and then a bunch of vet min scrubs in which they won't be much of a threat for a championship either.

Hard cap in the NBA? That's funny. The Lakers just pushed their payroll over $88 million.

What the talking heads are referring to when they note Teletovic's contract is the luxury tax line, which the team can only exceed by so much if they want to give him the 5 mil. Right now the Nets are pretty close to going over that boundary. But they're going past it, and by a fairly large margin. By the end of this offseason they'll be pushing 80+ mil, with or without Howard. Lopez should get 9-10 mil, and Humphries around 6-8. Those are the core salaries to be used for a Howard trade, whether its a sign and trade deal now or a straight up trade 3 months from now.

The offer is there, and the soft cap of 58 mil or the luxury tax of 72 mil isn't going to do anything to deter the Russian. He doesn't seem to have an qualms about spending $100 mil on a basketball team.

Jeremy Lin is going to sign a 4-year, $30+ million offer sheet from the Houston Rockets.

The Knicks can match at only $25.5 million for 4 years.

So will Linsanity take the grand stage in Houston, or will he head back to the NY only to be belittled by Jason Kidd?

Hard cap in the NBA? That's funny. The Lakers just pushed their payroll over $88 million.

What the talking heads are referring to when they note Teletovic's contract is the luxury tax line, which the team can only exceed by so much if they want to give him the 5 mil. Right now the Nets are pretty close to going over that boundary. But they're going past it, and by a fairly large margin. By the end of this offseason they'll be pushing 80+ mil, with or without Howard. Lopez should get 9-10 mil, and Humphries around 6-8. Those are the core salaries to be used for a Howard trade, whether its a sign and trade deal now or a straight up trade 3 months from now.

The offer is there, and the soft cap of 58 mil or the luxury tax of 72 mil isn't going to do anything to deter the Russian. He doesn't seem to have an qualms about spending $100 mil on a basketball team.

Not really funny at all. If they would of given Teletovic the full MLE, they would of triggered a 74.3 million hard cap that would of made it impossible to get Dwight. But it's a moot point now since they negotiated a Tax Payer's MLE for him, thus no hard cap. It's all a moot point really. Dwight won't be a Net, and in the rare chance that he does, the rest of the team will be so bad it won't even really matter. They're not the Heat. Wade, LeBron, Bosh, and Haslem took less so they can put competent role players around them while Deron, Johnson, and probably Dwight will all be making the max and filling out the rest of the roster with D-League players. Then we'll have 2 "star studded" New York disappointments which I certainly don't mind.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Jeremy Lin is going to sign a 4-year, $30+ million offer sheet from the Houston Rockets.

The Knicks can match at only $25.5 million for 4 years.

So will Linsanity take the grand stage in Houston, or will he head back to the NY only to be belittled by Jason Kidd?

Sheesh. Somebody is about to look real stupid throwing that much money at such an overrated player. I suspect he ends up with the Rockets though. Then again, it is the Knicks we're talking about who are perfectly capable of such stupidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really funny at all. If they would of given Teletovic the full MLE, they would of triggered a 74.3 million hard cap that would of made it impossible to get Dwight. But it's a moot point now since they negotiated a Tax Payer's MLE for him, thus no hard cap.

You read that one wrong, or the author was mistaken. The Nets cannot have a payroll exceeding the 74 mil limit in order to offer the 5 mil exception.....the 5 mil exception does not "trigger" a 74 mil cap on spending. Big difference in those two statements.

Nobody has put ink on any contracts so we don't really have any clue what the total payroll will look like, and there are a lot of assumptions being made in order to arrive at that figure.

It's all a moot point really. Dwight won't be a Net, and in the rare chance that he does, the rest of the team will be so bad it won't even really matter. They're not the Heat. Wade, LeBron, Bosh, and Haslem took less so they can put competent role players around them while Deron, Johnson, and probably Dwight will all be making the max and filling out the rest of the roster with D-League players. Then we'll have 2 "star studded" New York disappointments which I certainly don't mind.

Yeh I remember the same tired line in reference to the Heat. At first it was that it couldn't be done under the cap rules. Once people figured out that wasn't the case then it could be done but noone else could be signed to complement them. Then they can't win a championship with only 7 players and a d-league center.

Of course the roster would be thin, and it would be tough to compete with the Heat the first season together. But add a few pieces to the Williams, Johnson, Wallace, Howard core and you've got yourself a contender.

You read that one wrong, or the author was mistaken. The Nets cannot have a payroll exceeding the 74 mil limit in order to offer the 5 mil exception.....the 5 mil exception does not "trigger" a 74 mil cap on spending. Big difference in those two statements.

Nobody has put ink on any contracts so we don't really have any clue what the total payroll will look like, and there are a lot of assumptions being made in order to arrive at that figure.

Yeh I remember the same tired line in reference to the Heat. At first it was that it couldn't be done under the cap rules. Once people figured out that wasn't the case then it could be done but noone else could be signed to complement them. Then they can't win a championship with only 7 players and a d-league center.

Of course the roster would be thin, and it would be tough to compete with the Heat the first season together. But add a few pieces to the Williams, Johnson, Wallace, Howard core and you've got yourself a contender.

Those people were idiots, and this isn't at all the same situation. The Heat players took less, Joe, Deron and probably Dwight didn't. There will be no pieces to add. They won't have the money, period. And also the Heat got LeBron and Bosh in Free Agency. That's a lot different than having to trade for Howard, when the Magic will surely have better offers than what the Nets have to offer. The Nets with Billy King running things will never compete for anything, guaranteed. He's the most clueless guy in the business by a wide margin.

I don't know why you think they won't have the money. As long as the owner is willing to pay the team can spend. The new CBA has put a few more limitations in place but everyone still has a mid-level exception of one sort or another to use and like the Heat they can just keep adding a piece every year.

I would think the Magic could get a better deal as well. I dunno how much better.....find it hard to believe the Lakers are giving up Bynum if Howard won't agree to a multi-year deal. The Rockets should be desperate enough to take a shot without any guarantees. Then again this a league where Pau Gasol was traded for a lot less, and Chris Paul was about to be traded for a couple of journeymen.

Back
Top Bottom