NCAA Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'College Sports Forum' started by CO-Gator, Mar 14, 2011.

1. CO-Gator

CO-Gator They all float down here. Finheaven VIP

Brackets out gentlemen. Who's in your Final 4? Any Cinderellas? Who's your champ? Pretty open field this year with no far-and-away clear-cut favorite. Should be a great tournament.

2. Ricky_Fan34

Ricky_Fan34 Suns and Fins superfan

Richmond Spiders A-10 Champions!!! I got Connecticutt winning it.

3. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

No Cinderellas. The days of the Cinderella are behind us I believe, thankfully. I've never been a fan of this tournament. 64 teams or whatever it is is just far too many.

No one wants to see Duke crush some culinary institute. Trim it down to 16 teams and then I might be interested.

But I'm sticking with the four top seeds. Ohio State, Pitt, Kansas, and Duke. Although I do think Notre Dame has a great chance to win it all and it wouldn't surprise me to see North Carolina take out Ohio State.

4. CO-Gator

The Spiders are one of my 1st round upset picks and probably for a lot of other people too. Vandy has a reputation for choking in the 1st round.

5. Ricky_Fan34

I'd love it. Spiders are going to be terrible next year. Losing both Justin Harper and Kevin Anderson is going to be brutal. Wouldn't be surprised to see Mooney leave, either.

6. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

Well, since Miami's in the NIT, I'm going to be rooting for Kentucky and San Diego State.

The East Region is a minefield. BYU's going to get their **** pushed in by St. John's.

Yeah, this tournament's going to kick ***. I can't wait.

7. Rafiki

Rafiki The Truth (I promise)

I have Kansas, Ohio St., UConn, and UCLA in my final 4. I have Kansas versus UConn for the title, with Kansas winning.

Hopefully they don't choke like last year.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011
  8. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

A year ago Butler was a shot away from winning the title so it's hard to say the days of cinderalla are far behind us.

The NCAA Tourney is the best in all of sports, this is a fun time of year. For the top 1-2 seeds the 1st game is usually a win(though a bunch of 2 seeds have lost their first game) but come round 2 that's out the window. Kansas was the #1 overall seed a year ago and the clear cut favorite but they lost in Round 2. That is one of the great things about this Tourney.

I think Ohio State is the best team which sucks b/c they are in Carolina's region but anything can happen.

9. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

There are some overrated teams this year (Syracuse as a #3, FLORIDA as a #2???!!!) and some underrated ones (Richmond for instance). Still trying to figure out how Syracuse got a 3 seed over my Cardinals (#4).

Sorry CedarPhin, but Kentucky got screwed. And they didn't even get dinner first. Their draw is horrible, they may not make it past WVU again this year. I think they match up pretty good with Ohio State, but not with WVU.

10. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

this years brackets and committee are a joke. how the hell is colorado not in it? uab and clemson--seriously? those two r a joke. some of the seeds r evern funnier. florida as a 2 is hilarous, san diego st really should of been the 1 seed out west. pitt now way in hell deserved that bs 1 seed, thats ok they will choke like always. havent really looked over games but 1 team to look out for is old dominion. they r a smart team, very composed and strong inside, they could go far.

another team to look out for would be washington. if they win and play unc that game wil be awesome. they r a dangerous team. sometimes they play stupid but they have size, ball handlers and good 3 point shooters, they r dangerous. i am hoping kemba and my huskies can make a great run. u enver know..west and east r loaded thats for sure.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Yeah, good call!

11. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

This is a wide open field this year. I have Ohio State winning it all, but I think SDSU will make the Final Four. I can't wait.

12. CO-Gator

Having followed the Gators very closely this year, I'll admit that a 2 seed is high for this team. I realistically expected a 3 or 4, but it really doesn't matter at all. Everyone has to win the same amount of games in order to take home a Title. This is why they play the games. The best teams will get to the Final Four. Seeds don't mean that much.

My Final Four is OSU, Dewk, Louisville, and Florida with Dewk beating Louisville for the title. Florida is there based mostly on my own homer bias and the fact that that Southeast region is probably the softest of the four. And I'm just throwing **** to the wall with Louisville. My bracket usually goes in the trash after the 2nd round anyway and who the hell had Butler going as far as they did last year?

13. CedarPhin

San Diego State is going to push Dook's **** in, unless Tennessee does it first.

14. CedarPhin

I think Kentucky's hitting stride at the right time. They drew a hell of a bracket though. I thought they should be at least a 3 seed this year, having won the SEC Title Game pretty convincingly too. I was shocked it was a 4 seed. Had they lost, I could have seen it, but they won it.

That's going to be the bracket to watch though.

15. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

the vols could defintely beat the dukies...lots of talent on that roster..pearl will have them ready if they win in the 1st rd

16. CedarPhin

I can't see Dook making it to Houston this year. Not a chance.

17. PhinsPhan11

I totally agree. I really like the way SDSU is playing right now.

18. PhinsPhan11

I could even see them losing a possible matchup with Texas in the Sweet 16.

19. CedarPhin

Texas won't make it past the first weekend, especially the way they've been playing lately. They're a feast or famine team though, so they could make it to the Sweet 16.

20. CedarPhin

You know, I was a bit hesitant on them going into the MWC Tourney, but they "wowed" me, especially in that title game. They've got everything, plus a coach that's won it all before.

That's my favorite, but this year, it's really anyone's game.

21. CedarPhin

I think so too. I'd also watch out for Washington, like you were saying. They're a real sleeper team.

North Carolina could do it too, but they have to hope they don't keep falling back in games. It'll come to bite them in the ***.

22. JCane

Butler was a #5 seed. Hardly a Cinderella.

The tournament ****ing sucks man.

23. CO-Gator

Yup. I have them going down to Memphis.

24. HurriPhin

HurriPhin Banned Hammered

Gotta admit, for me, 64 teams is just ridiculous.

25. JCane

Yeap. And they want to expand this dumb **** too.

I guess they'll be putting hockey teams in there before it's all over.

Can anyone—WITHOUT GOOGLING—name one player on the Wofford squad?

Let me tell you something...I live FIFTEEN MINUTES from the Wofford campus and even I can't ****ing tell you a single player.

Get rid of this crap.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
  26. Ricky_Fan34

:lol:

Don't know why but this made me laugh.

27. LouPhinFan

Never underestimate Rick Barnes, John Calipari, or Bruce Pearl's ability to suck out at coaching in a big, close game. All 3 can recruit like hell, but their bench coaching leaves alot to be desired at the most in opportune times.

28. LouPhinFan

I guess not every national championship can be as clean and inclusive as the BCS.

/sarcasm

29. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Butler is a mid major and they were a 5 seed(in possibly the weakest field ever, only to possibly be eclipsed by this years field) and 5 seeds rarely make the Final Four. they were a cinderella team. Just 4 years earlier George mason was an 11 seed and made the Final Four. This is the one sport where the little guy has a chance, in CFB that couldn't happen.

It's the greatest sporting event on the planet. You prefer the boring NBA over the NCAA Tourney? There's nothing that matches the Tourney- not the SB, WS, NHL or NBA playoffs or the sham BCS in CFB.

I'm not sure many people could have named players on Auburn or Oregin this year besides Cam newton so I don't get the point about Wofford. One of the charms of the Tourney is the little guys have a chance to pull some upsets.

30. JCane

Get real. The little guy doesn't have a chance at all. That's a myth. Couldn't be further from the truth. They want you to believe that but if you step back and look, the little guy has no chance. How much longer are you guys gonna talk about George Mason? How long ago was that? Don't give me the 1% rule. We all know that when the Final Our gets here, it's gonna be Duke, Kansas, UCONN, Ohio State, Pitt, Notre Dame, etc. It's gonna be the big boys.

And the "little guy" advancing is actually bad for the tournament as if it's not bad enough already. The little guy KILLS ratings because no one watches that crap. Check the ratings for Thursday's games. Why aren't more people watching Wofford and UC Santa Barbara? Because no one really cares about those schools. You dudes probably don't even know where Wofford is. I'll bet people know where Auburn and Oregon are.

Five people? You're really trying to make a bad argument here. I'll bet most people can't name five people off of the Alabama team. Or the Florida team. Or that LSU team. Or the Florida team the year before. People know stars. And Wofford doesn't have any. Neither does Moorehead State. Neither does whoever Duke is about to break out the rape kit on.

64, 68 teams and you STILL have whiners like Virginia Tech complaining that they didn't get in. Win your games if you want in. You can start by getting ONE quality road win. 68 invites and you can't get one of then in a major conference. Just shut up Virginia Tech.

Trim the fat. Take this garbage down to 16 teams. That's when people begin watching this crap anyway. No one even watches college basketball until February. And yeah, the NBA is better because all the great college players bolt for the NBA these days. I'm convinced the only reasons most LOVE this tournament is because of seedings and brackets. Guys LOVE lists, brackets, rankings, etc. We eat that **** up because we're knuckle draggers.

31. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Yes, a myth except for the fact a little guy was one shot away from winning the national Championship last year and twice w/in the last 5 years little guys have made the Final Four.

It's not even about the little guys making FF runs, it's about being able to upset the big time programs int he first rd or 2.

Last year:

-Butler made title game
    -Northern Iowa beat #1 overall Kansas and made Sweet 16
    -Ohio beat Georgetown
    -Murray State beat Vandy
    -Villanova needed OT to beat Robert Morris

This was just one tourney last year. It happens every year.

duke has only made 3 FFs since 2000 and only 4 since 1995
    Kansas has made ONE FF since 2004
    UConn has only made three in their HISTORY
    Ohio State has made 2 in the past 30-40 years
    Pitt has made one- back in 1941!
    Notre Dame has made ONE FF in their history(1978)

So who is making all these FFs then?

The little guy helps the ratings the first weekend, that's what most people tune in for. In most years most big guys will advance but there will still be some huge upsets the first weekend.

Who cares if people know who is on Wofford? what does that have to do w/ anything? That makes it even more interesting when a no name program upsets a big time program.

Taking it down to 16 would be asinine and ruin the best sporting event around. It's like having a computer figure out who is playing for the national Championship rather than teams earning that right on the field.

The NBA sucks! part of the reason is b/c players aren't ready to play in the NBA when they leave college too early. last years NBA Finals was the worst basketball I have ever seen in a postseason format. The NCAA was awful last year too, players leaving early has hurt both sports but the NCAA is more about the teams not the players so it is hurt less than the NBA where it's more about the player than the teams.

32. JCane

So of how many total games in the tournament, you found five examples lol? And in one of those the favorite won? And a five seed made the final? Awesome.

This tournament sucks. No one watches the first round. Go grab the ratings on Monday.

33. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

There are examples every single year.

That 5 seed is a mid major program! It is impossible for a similar program in CFB to play for a National Title.

Don't watch, what do you me to tell you? It's your loss, there isn't a sporting event even close to the first few days of the NCAA Tourney. Games all day long, tons of close games, chances for huge upsets. No postseason comes close to this one.

34. Ricky_Fan34

Didn't Davidson make a final 4 a few years back as a huge cinderella? Back when they had Steph Curry, I believe it was.

35. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

They made the Elite 8 and almost beat Kansas in that game and KU went on to win it all.

36. LouPhinFan

Are you just playing devil's advocate or do you really believe this?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ts-thursday-flashforward-return-fizzles/45367

Dude, A LOT of people watch NCAA basketball. College basketball is different that college football. People LOVE the little guy in the tournament, but they don't really watch them in football. If you really hate this tournament as you say you do, go find another thread to post in. There are plenty of them. You're in the minority here in this one.

37. Ricky_Fan34

what seed were they? 11?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
  38. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

They were a 10 seed.

39. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

i have always thought barnes was a fool and horrible coach for years. w/ all those great texas teams and not national titles to show for it...wow just pathetic

40. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

if thats the case then why r u even in this thread talking about college basketball.next to the nfl, college basketball is the best game going. it has a great playoff system, better then the nba, nhl and pathetic as* college football.