NCAA Tourney Thread

Discussion in 'College Sports Forum' started by CedarPhin, Mar 11, 2012.

1. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

Looks like a decent field this year.

2. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

All the teams seem to be spread out evenly. It should be another fun NCAA tourney.

3. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

UK fans have to be steamed right now. That region has the toughest top 4 seeds, It won't be an easy road for them.

My Cards get a 4 seed and get shipped out West to Portland. Ugh, I'll be going with them. What's cool to do in Portland?

4. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Filled out my bracket in roughly three minutes.

Two upsets in the first round since you guys go by seeding for some reason lol.

Alabama over whatever a Creighton is.

And last season's big boy winner UCONN over Iowa State.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

They got the weakest 2 seed, UK will be fine.

6. LouPhinFan

That's the UNC fan in you talking. Duke has the front line that can give UK fits and while not the defense they have been in the past, they can pressure Teague enough that he'll cough the ball up. Baylor has the athleticism that the Cats haven't seen since before Christmas. Indiana is there and has beat them before. Can they do it again? I don't know. Don't sleep on UNLV or Wichita State in that region either. UK is far from fine. It could be worse for them, but it's not all unicorn tears and puppy dog kisses either. When it comes down to it I kinda think Kansas is a weaker #2 than Duke is.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

duke is a 3 pt shooting team, the Plumless are decent players underutilized in the duke system. duke is by far the weakest 2 seed and unless they are absolutely on fire from 3 will have very little chance to compete w/ UK. The Plumless trying to stop Anthony Davis? seriously?

UK would beat IU by 25 if they played again.

I think UNLV and Wichita State pose the greatest threat.

8. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin A True Fan

go noles!

9. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

They are playing really well, I hope they can keep it up in the Tourney. It should be a great Sweet 16 matchup w/ OSU if both teams make it that far.

10. LouPhinFan

For those of you thinking about picking Davidson to upset Louisville in your brackets:

Of their 25 wins: 5 of them are against teams with a winning percentage over .500
    They have 2 wins over teams in the RPI 100: Kansas on 12/19 and Penn on 12/29

In 2012 they played 3 teams in the RPI top 150: Split with Charlestown (118), lost by 17 to Wichita St (15)
    It took them 2 OTs to beat Western Carolina in the conference championship. Western Carolina’s RPI is 225.

They have 3 losses to teams outside of the RPI top 100, U of L has 1 (Providence). They have 1 win over an NCAA tourney team (Kansas). U of L has 10.
    They have 4 wins total against the RPI top 150, Louisville has 17.

Per Pomeroy ratings: U of L has the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] best defense against the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] most difficult schedule. Davidson has the 37[SUP]th[/SUP] ranked defense against the 210[SUP]th[/SUP] ranked schedule.
    Davidson has the 124[SUP]th[/SUP] ranked defense.

Basically the only team Davidson has seen since the first of the year that is anywhere near U of L's caliber was Wichita State on 2/18/12 and they lost by 17 in that one. Davidson is not Morehead State and I'm not expecting an upset this year. Last year I was nervous, but this year I'm not so much. Their numbers since the first of the year suggest the win at Kansas was a fluke.

Say what you want about the next round (versus New Mexico or LBS) but U of L should win this first one by double digits going away. Anything can happen I guess, but I don't see it in this game.

I'm boarding a charter tonight at 8 bound for Portland so I don't know how much I'll be able to check back with this thread after I leave so I hope all of your teams have good tournaments (unless they're in the West Region:chuckle:)!

GO CARDS!!!!

11. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

I am picking Davidson, soemtimes it just doesn't amke sense w/ this Tourney.

For those picking SU(I wasn't) Fab melo is out for the Tourney due to eligibity issues.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

By the way, Davidson beat Kansas at kansas, that is a better win than any UL has this year but good luck LouPhin. i'm not rooting against them, I just need to pick some upsets.

13. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

How much does the Melo injury hurt Sorrycuse?

14. JCane

Three wins max. Vanderbilt will knock them out.

15. JCane

Check this out...

1990: UNLV (1)
    1991: Duke (1)
    1992: Duke (2)
    1993: North Carolina (1)
    1994: Arkansas (1)
    1995: UCLA (1)
    1996: Kentucky (1)
    1997: Arizona (4)
    1998: Kentucky (2)
    1999: Connecticut (1)
    2000: Michigan State (1)
    2001: Duke (1)
    2002: Maryland (1)
    2003: Syracuse (3)
    2004: Connecticut (2)
    2005: North Carolina (1)
    2006: Florida (3)
    2007: Florida (1)
    2008: Kansas (1)
    2009: North Carolina (1)
    2010: Duke (1)
    2011: Connecticut (3)

In 22 years, 15 #1 seeds have won the tournament. 13 different winners in 22 years.

So much parity.

Little sister's of the poor have a chance.

16. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

The little guys do have a chance, they get to play on the court not in the computers like in that joke sport NCAA football. You get teams like Butler, VCU even UNLV in the early 90s. As great of a team as they were they wouldn't have had a chance in CFB.

He's not hurt, he was ruled ineligible.

Jim Boeheim teams are known chokers when they have expectations to be a FF team, in a weird way I think this helps them and I think they have a better shot now than before the announcement. I had them losing in the Sweet 16, I think I will push them to the elite 8 now.

17. JCane

Chance lol. Big boys win it. So sad that they hand out false hope in college basketball.

18. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

Sorrycuse...I love it..Fab Melo was a huge part of the 2-3 zone. His height and his size in general help immensley with D and rebounding in general. The next guy up is a skinny little boy..Does not have the mass to bang in the tourney....I think Su loses to Kansas St 2nd round.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

again 1990 UNLV which is one of the most dominat teams in history never would have had a chance to win a National Championship in college football.

20. LouPhinFan

That's fine and dandy but it was a fluke and the rest of Davidson's season proves that out. And Kansas's defense isn't nearly as good as U of L's. There's certainly upsets to be had, but there are safer bets someplace else. If you want to pick against Louisville, pick against them in the next round.

21. LouPhinFan

Dude, seriously, why do you do this? Almost no one else in this thread shares you feelings about the NCAA tourney. Posting stuff like this is more like trolling than posting and you're a better forum member than that.

22. CO-Gator

CO-Gator They all float down here. Finheaven VIP

Nothing to fret about in our region. If anything, the West is the most wide open in the field. I doubt the Gators will get past Mizzou though. If Yeguete hadn't broken his foot we could have been a pretty major player in this thing, but it's not happening for us this year.

23. JCane

You're going allllll the way back to 1990 for that one. And they were a #1 seed because they earned it in the regular season.

Let Boise State earn their shot. But even an undefeated Bronco team doesn't deserve a title shot over a two loss SEC team. Play a real schedule.

24. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

Get your MONEY UP!!!!

Try these plays tomorrow.......

Murray St -4.5 (HUGE Lock)
    So Miss + 5
    Montana + 9.5
    BYU + 6
    Long Beach St + 4
    Virginia Commonwealth + 6.5
    UNLV - 5.5
    Louisville -7
    Baylor - 8

25. WVDolphan

Exactly. Wig.... STFU. And put your money up and GET your money up.

You talk a lot of **** on the tourney. Yea, most of us get it. You arent wrong. The whole cinderella thing is way overplayed. Good teams win it all. We get it.

I however, LOVE the tourney. Its also where I make the majority of my sports gambling money each year(that and betting on the SEC in bowl games :lol: .... well everyone finally caught onto that trend a few years late and the spreads have adjusted accordingly). Anyway, Im posting my picks. Lets see what you can do. You talk a lot of ****. Take all the favorites to cover. Anyone can just pick the favs to win games. Thats simple. Most of the favs will win the games outright. As all of us know however, what counts is who covers. Ask Brent Mustberger.

26. JCane

That's pretty much what I've done. The only thing that really change for me was Syracuse. Obviously, they're not as good without Melo. I have mostly chalk. a few "upsets" if you want to call a 9 over an 8 an upset...junc would call a 9 over an 8 an upset if it benefited his "argument." You probably would too. So sad.

I have Saint Louis over Memphis. UCONN over Iowa State. West Virginia over Gonzaga. Vanderbilt over Wisconsin. I'm pretty sure that's it.

North Carolina, Ohio State, Michigan State and Kentucky Final Four.

North Carolina v. Kentucky in the title game.

Kentucky winning it all.

27. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

One of the best teams of the last 30 years wouldn't have had the opportunity to play for a title if it was college football.

and the little guys have a chance in basketball, they can make the Sweet 16, elite 8, Final Four , title game and even win a title. That's IMPOSSIBLE in CFB where we have a year like 2011 where Alabama loses at HOME to LSU, doesn't make their conf title game, plays a weak sched and still goes to the title game. In CFB you don't have to earn it, you play maybe a tough game or 2 a year and if you survive you can play fro a title(provided you are in the SEC, Big 10 or Big 12).

28. LouPhinFan

29. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

30. JCane

LOL @ UNC Asheville

Soooo close!

:lol:

31. Ferretsquig

Ferretsquig Perennial All-Pro

Asheville got robbed. Two blatant missed calls at the end with the goaltending and non-existant lane violation. They had a real shot at that one.

32. JCane

I didn't really have a problem with it.

33. WVDolphan

Anyone besides me who took those picks definately DID NOT get their money up. Their money went way down.

Lets strap it back up and try again. See how these do today.....

San Diego St. + 2.5
    Alabama - 1
    Georgetown -3
    St Louis + 3
    Purdue + 2
    Xavier + 2

Btw, I caught a major break twice yesterday. By the time gametime rolled around and I actually placed the straight wagers on Louisville and Baylor, the spreads had dipped a half point and both covered by that amount. I needed all the luck I could get yesterday just to stay a float. Was unlucky in the Southern Miss game against K st, but caught a huge break with those other 2.

34. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Youth and inexperience hurt us. Too many errors down the stretch.

We just have to keep getting better... that's all there is to it.

It was a fun ride and I enjoyed every minute of it. RTR.

35. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Once again, preseason ratings dominate the irrelevance of regular season indications. Florida was Top 10 in every preseason power rating while Virginia was somewhere between 50th and 75th. Yet 5 months later they allow me to bet Florida -2 against Virginia.

Sometimes I can't believe they allow the use of preseason ratings to bet bowl games or basketball postseason. Too much of an edge.

But overall the NCAA tournament is not a great investment opportunity, certainly not compared to the NIT, or women's basketball, or February college basketball. I don't know anyone who bets sports all year who gets carried away with this tournament. The lines are very good, with a handful of exceptions when they don't align with preseason realities, and the lack of a home court eliminates one of the great advantages of sports betting, the ability to evaluate whether or not the extra 4 points for home court is justified or can be nullified by the road team.

Besides, every number moves toward Ken Pomeroy's line. It's not 90% of the time, it's 100%. He's easily the sharpest and most respected college basketball analyst these days, even if few outside of betting circles have heard of him. You don't get as many bargains as the ones that existed before KenPom.com became prominent.

Obscene that Drexel didn't make the tournament when Pomeroy had them 34th in his power ratings. My preseason number on Drexel was 40th. The Colonial conference gets a ridiculous lack of respect, which is how you can still get +6.5 on VCU against Wichita State. I watched the Colonial tournament a couple of weeks ago. VCU, Drexel, Old Dominion and George Mason are all tournament caliber teams. Unfortunately, the Colonial was so imbalanced with teams like Towson at the bottom that it allowed power conference snobs to denounce the Colonial based on strength of schedule and keep Drexel out.

36. CO-Gator

Good blowout win by the Gators today in spite of a pretty god-awful shooting performance in that 1st half.

And don't look now, but Norfolk St. is coming dangerously close to torpedoing a lot of people's brackets, mine included.

37. CO-Gator

38. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

Same here. Missouri really ****ed my bracket in that region.

39. CO-Gator

40. Dolfan3773

Dolfan3773 Bleeding 305 since 1987

Suck on that Frank Haith!