Near Halfway Point Mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Near Halfway Point Mock

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Have had a chance to watch some college football, read some scouting reports and see enough Miami football to know the strengths and weaknesses of this team. So here it goes.

1. Quenton Nelson OG - Notre Dame
It's not just that the interior of the Miami offensive line is bad, it's real bad. In fact, I think this unit is holding the team back from being a legit super bowl contender. Nelson is the real deal, the physical guard this team needs to match-up in the AFC East.

2. Billy Price C - Ohio State
The front office loves Mike Pouncey, but with his injuries and his salary it's time to move on. Price gives the team the versatility to play guard or center and could be the perfect replacement for Pouncey.

3. Tony Brown CB - Alabama
Adding another young, physical corner makes sense.

4. Luke Falk QB - Washington State
Before you say what the Falk, the Dolphins need someone to compete with Matt Moore for a backup role. I like Falk's accuracy and ball placement, which gives him a chance to be at least a quality backup.

5. Traded pick to New Orleans

6. Jack Cichy OLB Wisconsin
Cichy has had some injuries, but he's a good player with experience at outside and inside linebacker.

7. Mavin Sanders TE Florida State
Not productive, but a guy with a lot of talent. I'm hoping in my scenario, that Miami gets a tight end in free agency.

I love the mock SF, great choices. I’ve read a lot about the 1st 4 choices and think they’d all be fantastic gets. I don’t know much about the last 2

I really like this mock, the only issue I have is Round 3. Next year, we will be looking at Tankersley, Howard, and Lippett as our top 3 boundaries, with McCain in the slot. 4 young corners with a chance to develop. It’s hard to get excited about adding another developmental CB who will struggle to see the field, taken with a third round pick.

IF we take a CB, I would say it would have to be a legit starter in the 1st. But if Nelson is there, I would keep your first pick the way it is

I really like this mock, the only issue I have is Round 3. Next year, we will be looking at Tankersley, Howard, and Lippett as our top 3 boundaries, with McCain in the slot. 4 young corners with a chance to develop. It’s hard to get excited about adding another developmental CB who will struggle to see the field, taken with a third round pick.

IF we take a CB, I would say it would have to be a legit starter in the 1st. But if Nelson is there, I would keep your first pick the way it is

I wonder if Brown could play in the slot? I really don't know who the best slot guys are in college football, but I love the player.

I love the mock SF, great choices. I’ve read a lot about the 1st 4 choices and think they’d all be fantastic gets. I don’t know much about the last 2

Thanks. Honestly, I'd love to go almost all defense and build that to a championship unit. But, the offense is just really bad and in need of lots of help. Who would have ever guessed that Miami would be shutout twice in the first seven games even without Tannehill?

Thanks. Honestly, I'd love to go almost all defense and build that to a championship unit. But, the offense is just really bad and in need of lots of help. Who would have ever guessed that Miami would be shutout twice in the first seven games even without Tannehill?
I’m beginning to think there is a Prima Donna and Cavalier attitude amongst many of the players, causing this kind I’d disfunction. I agree with you 100% on drafting defense again, because it be great to finally have the young pieces in place to potentially field a strong defense into the immediate future. But with the limited cap space available in 2018, even if they cut Pouncey, James, Thomas and restructure Tannehill’s contract, the offense is going to need more players along the offensive line. I believe Eric Smith has the potential to replace James at RT, but questions remain regarding Asiata’s ability to win a starting job next year and who will replace Pouncey at center. With Tunsil not playing up to par at LT, there now may be questions about him as well.

I'm still bitter about not getting Elflein last year so I really hope we can get the All-American Billy Price in round 2. He would would bring smarts and versatility to the line and we need it now more than ever. I want Mark Andrews or Mike Gesicki in round 1. Those two picks would go a long way in making the phins legit contenders with Tannehill back.

I'm starting to see this all over the place, mocks from the fan base having Miami selecting a guard in the mid-1st round.

Those who are fixated on this are going to be disappointed. It won't happen.

I'm starting to see this all over the place, mocks from the fan base having Miami selecting a guard in the mid-1st round.

Those who are fixated on this are going to be disappointed. It won't happen.

I honestly think it depends where Miami picks. They might be just good enough to miss out on some of the difference makers, unless they trade up. In the middle of the first, I think a guard like Nelson would make a ton of sense.

If the front office feels they can fill out the offensive line in the second to third rounds, great. I'd rather see the team get someone like Andrews at tight end, or a defensive end like Chubb, maybe one of the top DT's especially if they are looking at Suh as a short-term guy in the first.

IMO it does not depend on where Miami picks. They're not taking a 1st round guard. Not unless there's been a very DRAMATIC shift in philosophy on the idea. Like a 180 degree change.

I'm not speaking based on innuendo or trying to gather hints, put together a mosaic picture. I'm speaking from direct knowledge here. I suppose it's possible they could have a 180 degree change of mind, so in that way anything is possible. But as of let's call it about two or three months ago they were of the mindset that they would not ever find themselves taking a pure guard in the 1st round unless they were positive he's the next Larry Allen, and they find it difficult to imagine coming to that conclusion about a prospect.

IMO it does not depend on where Miami picks. They're not taking a 1st round guard. Not unless there's been a very DRAMATIC shift in philosophy on the idea. Like a 180 degree change.

I'm not speaking based on innuendo or trying to gather hints, put together a mosaic picture. I'm speaking from direct knowledge here. I suppose it's possible they could have a 180 degree change of mind, so in that way anything is possible. But as of let's call it about two or three months ago they were of the mindset that they would not ever find themselves taking a pure guard in the 1st round unless they were positive he's the next Larry Allen, and they find it difficult to imagine coming to that conclusion about a prospect.
CK, where do you see them going in the 1st two rounds? I’m thinking LB, TE, DE, DT or CB depending on Lippett’s health and McCain’s long term outlook by the team. I’d love an OG like Nelson, he reminds me of Pittsburgh’s David DeCastro.

Coaches like Adam Gase can be easy to figure out, sometimes...but a guy like Chris Grier is tougher to figure out.

I think the TE position is a mess, if you take Anthony Fasano's age into consideration. It's been a real source of frustration for Adam Gase. He is a pretty strict adherent to running an offense primarily out of Y-ISO formations and in order to do that you need a compelling tight end talent. His priority is likely on a guy that can beat man coverage, but he also needs a smart player that read leverage and find the spaces between zones. Getting a complete guy that can also block would be great, too. Adam Gase was a guy that actually thumped for David Njoku even though common thought was we didn't need him. Fast-forward and we could've used him.

Of course now the RB situation has just bumped up in priority, and Adam Gase was also a big fan of Ezekiel Elliott in the 2016 draft. I think Saquon Barkley will draw everyone's attention, but I'm not sure Miami can get a legit crack at him. Will Derrius Guice or Damien Harris get graded well enough to think about up there? What about Bryce Love or Jaylen Samuels?

Also, as long as the guys in charge are the guys in charge, you can never really take DLs or CBs off the board in the 1st round.

Coaches like Adam Gase can be easy to figure out, sometimes...but a guy like Chris Grier is tougher to figure out.

I think the TE position is a mess, if you take Anthony Fasano's age into consideration. It's been a real source of frustration for Adam Gase. He is a pretty strict adherent to running an offense primarily out of Y-ISO formations and in order to do that you need a compelling tight end talent. His priority is likely on a guy that can beat man coverage, but he also needs a smart player that read leverage and find the spaces between zones. Getting a complete guy that can also block would be great, too. Adam Gase was a guy that actually thumped for David Njoku even though common thought was we didn't need him. Fast-forward and we could've used him.

Of course now the RB situation has just bumped up in priority, and Adam Gase was also a big fan of Ezekiel Elliott in the 2016 draft. I think Saquon Barkley will draw everyone's attention, but I'm not sure Miami can get a legit crack at him. Will Derrius Guice or Damien Harris get graded well enough to think about up there? What about Bryce Love or Jaylen Samuels?

Also, as long as the guys in charge are the guys in charge, you can never really take DLs or CBs off the board in the 1st round.

The offense is in total rebuild mode with the possible exception of Ryan Tannehill. Even Laremy Tunsil, someone most of us had high hopes for, has been a disappointment so far. I know many were projecting a future Pro Bowl type player and he still may become that, but he also may be just a guy.

A couple of things on the coaching side will likely happen. A new offensive coordinator seems like a given and possibly a new offensive line coach.

At this point, I think most of the draft picks will go to offense. The Ajayi trade makes running back a possibly high pick, but you're probably on target with tight end, especially with the way Gase wants to run the offense. It could easily be Andrews, Price 1-2 with a running back early as well.

Miami may have to draft 3-4 offensive lineman, depending on free agency. I really don't see the team keeping Pouncey, but I think they will keep James.

Last time we went o-line with our first two picks Shula was the coach back in 95. The o-line needs to be fix but doubt they go guard in the first round. If a special TE was to fall to us you'd have to consider it but a guard or a center in round two is very possible and I'd take a QB no later than round 3 or 4. I like Tannehill but you need a legit young guy to groom behind him

Ozzy rules!!

I really, really like mock. I’m not sure about Price but I will check him out.

I feel like Andrews at TE may be a good match with Miami. That might get mocked all over the place. I also wonder about an all around back in the mold of a young Matt Forte or Brian Westbrook or Charlie Garner type. A kid that can run with authority but who can be weaponized in the pass game. Let’s be honest, those guys are brutal to defend.

As for Gase and whether we would take an OG in the first, I would not rule out a 180 on philosophy. We are all a product of our experiences, which inform us of what we tend to believe works (and what does not). The past couple of offseason when the beat writers would get obsessive about guards, Gase seemed to dismiss it confidently, that we could work it out. That was probably his experience.

However, after two years in Miami where the interior of the line is just killing the team, Gase can see the limiting factor it has become. At this point, we don’t even know what Tunsil’s ceiling is. We may need a Zack Martin level guard anchoring this line and then let Tunsil play off him.

Having said that, I haven’t thought about the draft much. But, if we don’t re-up Landry, I could see us bringing in Andrews to help us in the middle of the field. Maybe you get a top guard on free agency, where Miami has passed in the past.

The fan base is going to lose its collective mind if we continue to see the Swiss cheese interior line cap any potential the team might have.

Back
Top Bottom