Need New Runningback

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Dec 22, 2013.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

We need to draft or sign a dynamic Runningback who can break some tackles and convert on short yardage. Other than OL, this is our most pressing need. When Tannehill has support from the running game, we usually win.

Which RBs would you target in the draft that would fill this need?

2. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Worst draft day moves: trading up for Daniel Thomas.

As for who we should target, I really don't know, but the decent FAs are likely to be grossly overpaid (see Ben Tate).

3. ac_lanham

ac_lanham The Comeback Kid

There are some studs to be found in the draft. I just dunno if we can trust Ireland to do so

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

4. GEORGIA FIN

GEORGIA FIN FIN FOR LIFE

Still want to trade for Mark Ingram. Has potential to be a bruiser between the tackles and is lost in the shuffle in NO.

5. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Mark Ingram sucks. He doesn't know how to recognize lanes.

6. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

I don't think so. We can't afford to waste our picks on RB's. We need OL and LB's...not RB's. If we had a decent line, the RB's would be fine...

7. GEORGIA FIN

GEORGIA FIN FIN FOR LIFE

Then he would excel in our offense since we can't create any lanes.

8. The Stache99

The Stache99 Well-Known Member Donator

Get line help first then we get our RBs

9. PCmor

PCmor Continuity

Need new running backs. Plural. None of the three guys on the team have justified coming back, although I imagine Miller will. But none of them can block and Miller, for all his speed, doesn't look really natural going out for a pass or finding a hole. Honestly, I wish we'd have found a way to keep Reggie Bush.

10. SkapePhin

I'm watching the GB and Pitt game right now and they have some backs than can carry a team in bad weather... Playoff weather.

We don't.

We need a guy like Lacy or Bell to take pressure off the passing offense.

I agree that OL and LBs should be priorities, but you can't downplay the impact or a back that can grind out conversions and tough yards.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Btw, I'm not saying we should spend a 1st rounder on one. A 2nd or 3rd? Absolutely. Although that is dicey with Ireland at the helm

11. PCmor

PCmor Continuity

I was watching the FCS playoffs last week, and the kid from Towson State would be worth a look in the middle rounds. Runs hard, knows how to eke everything out of his runs. Watching him was a lot like watching Stephen Jackson against the Dolphins -- he always seems to get 3 more yards than he should have.

12. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

I'm afraid our O-line is so bad that we might make stupid John Jerry picks and miss out on some real talent.

13. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

cosign

14. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

hes garbage. DT is better than Ingram is

15. RebelFin

RebelFin Active Member

Got to target the needs in the draft. And bruising running back is a definite need. Along with o-line help. I admit I was wrong about Miller. We definitely missed Reggie Bush this year. But we need that move the defense and carry the load running back. A good GM should be able to find a player to fit the bill in the draft. Maybe a miracle will happen and Ireland becomes a good GM or Ross hires one.

16. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree with you, we need a running back that......but I think both of our guys that we have now would look a heck of a lot better if the O-Line was opening some holes for them. We run between the tackles a lot and the defensive line is usually in our backfield by the time the running back gets the ball.

17. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

I might agree with you if we actually ran the ball. But we don't. We don't even give it a chance. I look at the line and I don't see the holes. They simply aren't there. I can't blame the RB's when I don't see holes.

I do wish they could block worth a ****!

18. GEORGIA FIN

GEORGIA FIN FIN FOR LIFE

I highly doubt he's worse than DT. Same thing that's always said for every guy we bring in, maybe a change of scenery is all he needs.

19. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

hes pretty freaking bad.

20. marinotoclayton

marinotoclayton Pro Bowler

Not trying to bash you, but what good would drafting RB do when O-line is a problem. They can't block. You either need better blockers or better coaching in the blocking schemes, And since there is only so much you can do to teach. I think getting better lineman makes the most sense, I am sure our QB would agree since he has been sacked alot the last two yrs.

21. SkapePhin

Did I ever say OL should b neglected? I think OL is TOP priority, but RB is a definite need!

The current group doesn't give me confidence. They suck at pass pro and they haven't shown any grit to gut out hard yards. We can't depend on them. Miller is a good change of pace back, but not a bell cow. We need a guy we can depend on to salt games and convert key 3rd downs.

22. marinotoclayton

Again a good running game depends on your blocking. Pesinally i like Miller. And he may or may not be answer. But it is really obvious that the line is a big problem ans it will not matter who you draft to tote the rock if you dont have the studs to block for ya,

23. SkapePhin

The Steelers OL isn't great and Leveon Bell is still doing something. We need a guy who can convert a 3rd and short. We don't have that guy.

24. So Be

So Be A True Fan

NEWS FLASH!!! A RB needs an OL to block for him, no matter who he is. True story.

25. marinotoclayton

Again ask Tannenhill what we should draft. I think since he has been on his butt so much even he would agree you go for O line before you go running back shopping.

26. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

I agree with Skape. We need a power running back who can break arm tackles, and can hold his own in pass pro.

27. SkapePhin

News flash, I agree we need to get an OL that can block for spit, but we ALSO need an RB that can pick up tough yardage and has VISIoN!

You think this game would be the same with Ricky back there?? The dude could pick up tough yardage regardless of his OL play

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Are you DENSE!?!? When did I once say we should ignore the OL in favor of RB? You do realize we can pick up more than one type of player in the draft, right?

28. marinotoclayton

Are you. You seem to think that our gm is a guy who can fix both problems in one. Shot. I dont have that confidence that you can fix both in the same year. You wanting a stud RB is usually a first round thing unless you get lucky in latter rounds.Good linemen is a need now! Runningback isnt all that if you can fix your o line.

29. SkapePhin

Wtf? No, nowadays stud RBs are usually found in later rounds. Other than Peterson, most of the top RBs in the league were mid to late round picks. Both issues could absolutely be fixed in one offseason, and it certainly should be tried...

30. Rolltide03

Rolltide03 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I think Ingram would be a good get to pair up with miller. But I'm with everyone else, O-line needs helps and that's pretty obvious

31. marinotoclayton

Only if you get lucky. Our gm doesnt seem to be all that. Now if we still had Bobby Beatherd I might be more optimistic.

32. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I'd love to get a guy like Ka'deem Carey.

33. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

I don't understand how a guy born and raised in Miami, played high school ball in Miami, went to the U, runs so timidly. He even looks tough but he runs like be-yotch. Thomas ran scared today, back to his usual self, it was like he was anticipating a hit. Ship them both out, Florida teams should have strong running backs, they are bred in South Florida. And please don't talk about Gillislie or Thigpen.

34. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

Just say no. Alabama backs coming to the NFL are showing that their O-lines were the reason for their success. Bama was sporting some serious NFL talent on the O-line for those guys like Ingram and Richardson.

35. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

Donald Brown is FA and Colts invested high pick to get Richardson; kid was best back in his class outta UConn.. get him, add Mason/Auburn or Williams/BC, and maybe - maybe - keep Miller.

Thomas has got to go. not sorry.

36. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Watch the run D from this game, Jim Brown would have problems. We had a bit of pyrite the last few games due to the competition and injuries.

37. godolphins1985

godolphins1985 WILDCARD

I hate watching this team run the football. Its very stale. I have zero confidence on 3rd and inches to actually get it...always get jacked up.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

38. joenhre

joenhre Starter Donator

Need a new starting RB, two new starting OTs & OGs, and at least one new starting LB. Would also be nice to have a big TE to go with Clay, and a big physical WR.

39. next-year

next-year MostHated

The line isn't playing well but I couldn't agree more that we desperately need a running back. If you can't break arm tackles you can't be a starting rb in the NFL. I wasn't very high on miller going into the year and now has confirmed that he is not starter material. Daniel Thomas just doesn't even make sense hed so big yet can't break the softest arm tackles. DT has a terrible tendency to plant his feet and lose all of his momentum when he hits crowded holes and I annoys the piss out of me.

Side note. I want wheeler cut I don't care how much cash we have to eat to do it. Even more surprising how invisible has ellerbee been in some of these game?

40. Dick Pepperwood

Dick Pepperwood A True Fan

If there was any doubt? Daniel Thomas is total Garbage. One good, I mean OK game, and every homer thought he was the 2nd coming. He is awful. Showed it again today. Glad we got of Reggie Bush (sarcasm) man.