Need some info on Orange Bowl crowds/fans | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Need some info on Orange Bowl crowds/fans

phunwin

The name's Bond...James Bond.
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip down to Miami for the 12/5 weekend for the Dolphins-Bills game. By happy coincidence, UM plays Va Tech that Saturday.

My wife is on board with this plan. But here's the catch: she's a Va Tech fan, (both her parents graduated from there, so I guess it's in the bloodlines...whatever, I should have considered this more carefully before getting engaged), and I'd like to have an idea about the amount of abuse she might be in for. Personally, I'm used to heaps of abuse from Bills fans when I head to Ralph Wilson Stadium, but I'd rather not have F-bombs and such tossed at my wife.

Call me overprotective or whatever, but some info on what a Va Tech fan is usually in for at the Orange Bowl would be greatly appreciated.

My uncle is a season ticket holder and, I've been going with him to all the games for years, plus, this past fall I marched in the UM band so I've seen fans for other schools and, ussually the UM fans will be loud during the game but they're not obnoxious to other fans (with the exception of Florida/ Florida State fans, but ussually they start it. Florida fans are the worst). They won't go out of their way to make other fans feel unwelcome. There are of course some that will. But I have only come across that once (excluding Florida/Florida State) and it was only a few fans. But I've never seen any abuse towards Va Tech fans.

I strongly suggest avoid sitting in the closed endzone(west side). That is moslty general addmission and thoes people are freaking animals. I still shake my head why they have general addmission.
When I went to UM I did see abuse towards VA Tech fans. It was year right after Va Tech and Vick kicked our asses. Well, when they came down sunny south florida with a ****y attitude...the fans got very very aggressive. It was mostly students vs. students. Adults are useually left out of it. I say don't stir the nest and you will be fine.
I whore a shirt that said "SUGGS MY VICK!" I got pretty drunk and dropped a ton of "BOMBS", a wide varriety. LMAO

Anyway, you should be fine and have a good time. Welcome to Cane Nation...enjoy the beating and have a safe drive back.

When I was a student at FSU a couple years back I went to the Orange Bowl in my FSU gear. I engaged in some trash talk back and forth with UM fans, but I can honestly say that none of it was too harsh and sometimes in good fun. I think its the same thing as in most places home stadium, there are always some fans from opposing schools. You really decide by your own actions how rudely your treated by the home crowd. (i.e. if you're asking for it....you'll get it.)

Actually I agree with you brech10. I have been also to Doke and experianced the same thing. But there is one exception....UF, I actually thought my friend and I where going to get jumped. My experiances at the Swamp have never been without some kind of confrontation.

ThunderCane said:
Actually I agree with you brech10. I have been also to Doke and experianced the same thing. But there is one exception....UF, I actually thought my friend and I where going to get jumped. My experiances at the Swamp have never been without some kind of confrontation.
Florida is the worst. When UM went up there last, after the game, I heard that the Florida band had to form themselves around the UM band, and walk them out of the stadium so the Gator fans wouldn't throw things at them.
But, I too have been to Doak. Twice. Both times I was wearing some sort of UM apperal. The first time was as few years ago, it was the week after Wide Right 3 in the OB, and they were playing Duke for their homecomming, I had no problems then, and the second time was this year, I went with the band, and the worst experience I had with that were a few drunk students talking trash. That was the same at the FedEx Orange Bowl as well.
I have no respect for the FSU band anymore because of that bowl game, but, that's a different story.:topic:

Back
Top Bottom