Need vs BPA | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Need vs BPA

Dolfan4life

Starter
Reaction score
Ok we all know the o line is downright awful and the consensus among every analyst or so called expert is to go with an OT in round 1.

The best thing to do is load up with the BPA and screw a particular need

The NFL is all about MATCHUPS!!! Ask a D coordinator about stopping Jimmy Graham or Gronk or Tony Gonzalez in his prime and they just shake their heads because they know they have little to offer in the form of stopping freak talent like that.

Eric Ebron could be that type of mismatch for opponents and a big target streaking down the seam for Tannehill not to mention a red zone weapon.

Making sure these type players are making other D Coordinators stay up at night and not ours has to be your mindset.

Now if there's a franchise LT that really really really can make an impact on both the run and pass then sure you can make that argument but you have to ask yourself if you were a D Coordinator going up against the Browns are you more worried about Joe Thomas or Josh Gordon. Are you spending hours trying to stop Duane Brown or Arian Foster/ Andre. Okung or Lynch.

I don't want to see the Jets take a stud like Ebron (especially if Wheeler is covering him ROFLMAO). Just so we have another o lineman that helps sure but doesn't make that great of an impact.

I was hoping not to discuss the draft this week. Right now, there are so many questions on the coaching staff and who will be running the draft for Miami. Personally, I think the team should clean house. If that happens, I would expect a change to a 3-4 defense which would factor into the draft.

If Jeff Ireland is making the selections for the Dolphins, then count on need being more important that BPA. Ireland is a slave to needs, although he did make a move that I liked last year in dealing up for Jordan. I think pass rusher was a big need for Miami, but offensive line was probably bigger. In the short-term, that move hurt the Dolphins but I still expect big things from Jordan.

In any case, I think you go BPA with some exceptions. In this draft BPA could very well be on the offensive line. It could be very, very deep depending on whether some underclassmen declare. That said, I want more playmakers early and like your idea with Ebron. I also think the Jets could target him. Ebron, Benjamin, or Mosley for the defense would be a nice start.

Depending on which players declare, OT could be loaded this year. Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, Richardson, and Erving are all exciting prospects. Solid chance BPA at 19 is an OT. I think that RB's tend to get drafted too late. If you can lock down one of these OT's and then Jeremy Hill in the 2nd, you're on your way to establishing a physical running game - which we're sorely lacking.

Bill Walsh said something to the effect that you win championships with stars. So if you can draft a star, even if you don't "need" the position, you do it.

lol. its deja vu every year as a Phin fan. every frickin year.................

Bill Walsh said something to the effect that you win championships with stars. So if you can draft a star, even if you don't "need" the position, you do it.

The Dolphin seasons simply aren't interesting when we lack great players. The Canes have many flaws but at least I can see the rare talent in guys like Duke Johnson and Stacy Coley. If the recruiters can bring in players like that, it gives me hope that it will eventually translate to core positions like quarterback and defensive tackle.

Jeff Ireland stocks up on mediocrities, and somehow those mediocre names end up in sigs around here, touted as if they are something special. Meanwhile, if they were on other rosters we wouldn't be scared of them or even think about them.

Our second round pick is too low this year. It's well established that there's a cutoff in expectation once you get lower than the 40th pick. Some of the biggest crapshoots I see every year are in the mid to late second round. We should think about packaging something to move up from that spot.

Some positions are more important than others but at this point we need great players period. Best player available.

coleys explosive that's for sure...i mean fast kid right there...watching him on a kick return in the bowl i thought i saw jet engines behind him...duke johnson is listed at 196 lbs...surprised me runs more like a 210 lber at least

i thought hurns had talent but the more i have looked the more i think he's an ehh guy and destined to be undrafted...the tight end walfords a pro

seantrell henderson doesnt show me much

If you have enough weapons the defense is forced to respect it. This team with Keller would have won 2 more games IMO

get enough weapons and that eliminates the pressure a little. Just seems that teams that run the ball and especially those that use the zone blocking scheme don't need a bunch of cornfed o lineman from the 1st round.

If I was GM I'd find a way to jump to 15 or so and get Ebron. Dude could be the next Gronk or jimmy graham.

Tannehill needs weapons. Miami needs to create MISMATCHES ALL OVER THE FIELD!

Wallace, hartline, Gibson, Clay, Ebron. Holy moly that will be explosive! Blitz that and a hot route can go the distance.

This is the modern day NFL. You either have those kinda players or you don't.

It's time we dictate the game to others.

I would like to see us address our "Needs" through FA and always go for BPA, I believe it's the only way to build through the draft.

Depending on which players declare, OT could be loaded this year. Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, Richardson, and Erving are all exciting prospects. Solid chance BPA at 19 is an OT. I think that RB's tend to get drafted too late. If you can lock down one of these OT's and then Jeremy Hill in the 2nd, you're on your way to establishing a physical running game - which we're sorely lacking.

That said, if Ireland is calling the shots...he will not pick OT's. He will go in another direction.

You have to go BPA. Drafting for need (unless QB) is a white flag of desperation and a quick fix lottery ticket mentality. Passing up talent to fill a need is a gift to the rest of the league. Draft day is game day, it's not a picnic or photo op, you need show up prepared. You have to be ready to make moves or patiently wait to maximize your next opportunity to add real talent. You need a general manager and a staff that eats, sleeps and breathes the NFL draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not only that, take a good look at the top G's. Cyril Richardson, Yankey, Zach Martin. All have played Tackle and are very good G prospects.

I heard the announcer in the Baylor game two nights ago say Cyril is Larry Allen. Now that may be a big oversell, but it certainly got me thinking. If he is anything close to Larry Allen, and you know you can trade down and still get him, by gollly do it.

I also see guys slip into the second round and guys who will move up boards and slide like Seantrel Henderson could and end up in fifth round.

So I tend to see a mix of need and BPA at the need.

My ideal thing to have happen is to trade down to SF spot (one pick ahead of New England), and take a Cyril Richardson or Seferian Jenkins and get that extra pick to build your Oline with solid G/T types and get some good tackles a little later like the Boise St. kid and maybe even resign Mckinney and Clabo to one year deals cheap and so you draft your future behind them to give time to mix, mold your future OL and still get a stud TE with huge Tony G. upside while letting SF take Ebron or Amaro who will be slotted to go there.

The Dolphin seasons simply aren't interesting when we lack great players. The Canes have many flaws but at least I can see the rare talent in guys like Duke Johnson and Stacy Coley. If the recruiters can bring in players like that, it gives me hope that it will eventually translate to core positions like quarterback and defensive tackle.

Jeff Ireland stocks up on mediocrities, and somehow those mediocre names end up in sigs around here, touted as if they are something special. Meanwhile, if they were on other rosters we wouldn't be scared of them or even think about them.

Our second round pick is too low this year. It's well established that there's a cutoff in expectation once you get lower than the 40th pick. Some of the biggest crapshoots I see every year are in the mid to late second round. We should think about packaging something to move up from that spot.

Some positions are more important than others but at this point we need great players period. Best player available.

Agree with the sentiment entirely, but i wouldn't trade up, especially with Ireland calling the shots.
I think there's quite a bit of talent in rounds 2 and 3 as things stand. Its not so much Ireland missing on first round "premier" talent as him being ultra conservative right through the draft, preferring the solid but unspectacular to the talented but risky.

Drafting for need increases your odds of drafting an average player or a bust. Think Billy Milner
in the 1st especially, you have to go with the highest graded player.

Back
Top Bottom