Needs Assessment in First Week of Free Agency | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Needs Assessment in First Week of Free Agency

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
It's been a strange beginning to free agency, but have to like some of what Miami is doing. Specifically, the offensive line finally looks like it could be a strength with the additions of Sitton, a top guard, Kilgore (decent center) and re-signing James. Hated losing Landry, but at least there are viable replacements in house. So this is how I'd currently rank the Dolphins needs.

1. Tight End -- You know this is a priority either in free agency, the draft or both. There are some nice options in round two, where I think there will be a run on tight ends. Gray and Duarte are currently it for Miami. Adam Gase hasn't had much talent at this position and you know he'd love to change that. Ebron in free agency or someone like Andrews in the 2nd?

2. Linebacker --- McMillan will be back from injury, but Miami desperately needs a complete linebacker for today's game. This likely will be a high draft pick. Edmunds, Smith and Evans are potential targets. The Dolphins could pick up Zach Brown in free agency.

3. Defensive Tackle --- The loss of Suh is big. I like Godchaux as one starter, but I'm not convinced Phillips can be consistent enough. Do the Dolphins go Vea at #11? Taven Bryan in trade down scenario? Not sure whose there in free agency that can help at a decent contract.

4. Between the Tackles RB -- I love Drake, but Miami needs a big back to get those tough yards when the game is on the line. Chubbs if he makes it to R3 would be nice. Guice in the 2nd?

5. Back-Up QB --- Someone who could be groomed as an eventual starter. I could see Miami making this a priority, potentially moving up or standing pat for someone like Lamar Jackson. Mason Rudolph in the 2nd? Chad Henne may be in play for a backup role with the team sticking by Tannehill. Lots of possibilities here.

6. Free Safety --- Not sure the front office sees this the same way some of the fans do. I like Harrison from Alabama, who I've seen projected around the Dolphins spot in R2.

7. Number 1 Receiver --- DaVante Parker has disappointed mostly because of injury, but he's also not someone who gets consistent separation. Love his 50/50 ability, but might Calvin Ridley be in play at #11. That could be someone who elevates the offense. SF and Chicago could take him inside the top 10.

The Dolphins look set at defensive end and on the offensive line. I still think the team can win with Tannehill, but that's the big thing to watch. Will Miami fall in love with a quarterback in the draft and make that a priority, or tackle a few of their weak spots and roll with Tannehill?

Someone who could play nickel cb and fs would be ideal

TE for sure

Still would try to retain both Sam Young and Daemian Williams

Back up QB

Outside Linebacker

DT

So the synopsis is this; we have too many holes to fill in the draft, so expect more free agents to arrive.

I know it is beating a dead horse but I would like Kendricks he is only 27 and is a solid all around LB
Don't care to have D Williams return so RB is an important need in my mind
Maybe add a FB
is Jenkins worth pursuing at TE?
And yes keep Sam Young

Draft
QB
LB
TE
DL
FS
OL

It's been a strange beginning to free agency, but have to like some of what Miami is doing. Specifically, the offensive line finally looks like it could be a strength with the additions of Sitton, a top guard, Kilgore (decent center) and re-signing James. Hated losing Landry, but at least there are viable replacements in house. So this is how I'd currently rank the Dolphins needs.

1. Tight End -- You know this is a priority either in free agency, the draft or both. There are some nice options in round two, where I think there will be a run on tight ends. Gray and Duarte are currently it for Miami. Adam Gase hasn't had much talent at this position and you know he'd love to change that. Ebron in free agency or someone like Andrews in the 2nd?

2. Linebacker --- McMillan will be back from injury, but Miami desperately needs a complete linebacker for today's game. This likely will be a high draft pick. Edmunds, Smith and Evans are potential targets. The Dolphins could pick up Zach Brown in free agency.

3. Defensive Tackle --- The loss of Suh is big. I like Godchaux as one starter, but I'm not convinced Phillips can be consistent enough. Do the Dolphins go Vea at #11? Taven Bryan in trade down scenario? Not sure whose there in free agency that can help at a decent contract.

4. Between the Tackles RB -- I love Drake, but Miami needs a big back to get those tough yards when the game is on the line. Chubbs if he makes it to R3 would be nice. Guice in the 2nd?

5. Back-Up QB --- Someone who could be groomed as an eventual starter. I could see Miami making this a priority, potentially moving up or standing pat for someone like Lamar Jackson. Mason Rudolph in the 2nd? Chad Henne may be in play for a backup role with the team sticking by Tannehill. Lots of possibilities here.

6. Free Safety --- Not sure the front office sees this the same way some of the fans do. I like Harrison from Alabama, who I've seen projected around the Dolphins spot in R2.

7. Number 1 Receiver --- DaVante Parker has disappointed mostly because of injury, but he's also not someone who gets consistent separation. Love his 50/50 ability, but might Calvin Ridley be in play at #11. That could be someone who elevates the offense. SF and Chicago could take him inside the top 10.

The Dolphins look set at defensive end and on the offensive line. I still think the team can win with Tannehill, but that's the big thing to watch. Will Miami fall in love with a quarterback in the draft and make that a priority, or tackle a few of their weak spots and roll with Tannehill?

Every team has a number of positions they can up grade, my preference is 'top 2' needs. LB and TE

LB is a critical need. Isn't Hull starting on the depth chart at the moment?

I think you pretty much nailed it SF. Tight end followed by linebacker being our biggest needs. Here's how i see it-

1. Tight end- we have next to nothing here, you did forget to mention Derby though. Maybe they like him more than we know? I think round 2 is the spot to grab one of them. I'd like a complete tight end who can block, so i'd be weary on Gesicki, but dude can fly at least. Goedert is my choice

2. Linebacker- round 1 is going to dry these guys up. I like Edmunds the best. Roquan would be a decent consolation prize, but I'd rather get Vander Esch in a slight trade down if possible. Wouldn't be surprised if someone in the 20's grabs him.

3. Back up / developmental qb- We resigned Fales but he doesn't affect anything.

4a- FS- we need a true free safety, stop with the double SS bs. I'd looooove Derwin James in round 1 if we don't go with one of the linebackers. Maybe not a "true centerfielder" but he could do great things and make an impact on the linebackers as well

4b- DT- a bit on an unknown what could/will happen here. Phillips flashes. Godchaux looked good as a rookie. Taylor showed enough to be in the conversation as depth. I doubt we stay put, but maybe a later selection in the draft or maybe a late FA cheap signing.

4c- rb- need a bruiser to spell Drake.

Not sure how much differently to weigh the last three so combined them because they all have their own merits. Those are the spots I would focus on first. Then, we need to start getting some new young guys on the OL to develop. Smith has potential. Davis looked good and may start this year. But we need plans for the future at LG and C. Those probably won't come this year though. Maybe someone we like falls in the draft, but outside of that we are set

I would reverse the first two, making LB top priority followed by TE in the 2nd.

This is what I'm hoping for:

LB - First round draft pick, McMillan and Edmunds/Smith bolster the position for years to come.

TE - I'm not sure who's on the market, maybe get our blocking TE via free agency if the price is right and try to draft the pass catcher.

DT - I'm fine with an FA rotational veteran being brought in as a 4th guy.

RB - I'm not worried, we can get a guy in the draft who can fill this need.

QB - Not much difference between Fales and Henne (if we were to wign him), we'd be done either way. Grab a developmental guy later on if available. I don't want to spend #11 on one of the big 4.

FS - If James falls grab him at 11 and go with Kiko/McMillan/Anthony.

Number 1 WR - I don't care about this. I'd rather have versatile guys that move around and spread the ball around. We don't need the traditional fantasy football 1, 2 and 3.

Bunch of interesting names at DT, if they want another one.

Bryan, Vea, Payne, Hurst*, Phillips(Harrison) Settle all seem to be solid top 50 overall players.
Then if they want more of a plugger you got Senat, Hill, nnadi, etc...

I hope we take Jaylen Samuels at some point. He is a tight end, fullback, receiver and running back all in one. I am all in on trading down for more picks, especially if a couple of those top quarterbacks aren’t seen as the answer in the top ten but are valued at eleven.

I hope we take Jaylen Samuels at some point. He is a tight end, fullback, receiver and running back all in one. I am all in on trading down for more picks, especially if a couple of those top quarterbacks aren’t seen as the answer in the top ten but are valued at eleven.
I could see us trading down for sure, I think Miami sits pretty at 11 and are banking on a team like the Cardinals moving up from 15 to grab a QB which they desperately need since Bradford is basically a one year rental. I still don't believe that we are taking a QB first round, all smoke and mirrors to me. I'm guessing the Phins want to accumulate draft picks.

Back
Top Bottom