New 2014 NFL Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by DFlo, May 12, 2013.

1. DFlo

DFlo Active Member

Hi guys, for those of you interested, I've put together an early look at some of the top prospects of the 2014 NFL Draft. Ideally to just get an idea of who to look for in this upcoming College season. Let me know what you think

2014 NFL Mock Draft

*The order was determined by the Vegas Superbowl odds as of last week

2. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

Broncos in the super bowl makes me want to :puke:

3. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

Even if Denver makes it, they won't win. No Super Bowl winning QB has gone to a new team and repeated the success.

If I'm wrong, please point one out. Because my friends and I couldn't figure it out.

Remember. Never goto the Library without your shotgun.

4. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Da Dalphins

haha. Right, so yea, that definitely means Peyton couldnt win one in denver.

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

It's not as if there are centuries of evidence for this. You are basing it off of a very small number of comparable situations. The idea that a QB can't win a second SB on a second team simply because it hasn't happened yet is pretty silly. He's just as likely, if not MORE likely to win a SB with the Broncos as he would have been had he stayed with the Dolts.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

6. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I like Marqise Lee, USC, WR and also Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame,,,,he would be a nice replacement if Starks moves on. As far as the Broncos winning the SB, I really hope not. Living here in Colorado, you get sick of the media slurping Manning and the Bronco's jocks 24/7....I doubt any team gets more coverage in the NFL than the Broncos do here in Colorado...maybe the Jets in NYC, but it is round the clock coverage here.

I think the Broncos have some issues with their d-backs. Chump Bailey should have retired several years ago, and they also lost Dumervil who was a top locker room leader. They got Welker, but I still don't think they are the top team in the AFC, let alone the NFL.

7. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

I really like the layout of your mock draft. As for the mock itself, forget Manziel going in the first because that's media hype. Second, Anthony Barr needs to be top 10.

8. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I think Will Sutton could be first rd material if he stays healthy. DE from ASU.

9. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

More likely, definitely. But still not likely - given his physical limitations. I think his pocket mobility has eroded (which happens) with age. He's good enough to win, but I don't think he's good enough to carry a team in the playoffs. I think there are more talented teams, and Manning is a master technician with physical limitations. He needs a big talent to step up and take pressure off if he's going to win a SB.

10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

This guy's mock draft now that I look at it is actually pretty good. Not bad at all. Some calls I don't like, but others I do.

Here are the 32 guys I would consider strong possibilities for 1st round standing:

QB - Teddy Bridgewater, Tajh Boyd
    RB - Lache Seastrunk
    WR - Marqise Lee, Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, Brandon Coleman
    TE - Eric Ebron, Colt Lyerla, Austin Seferian-Jenkins
    OT - Jake Matthews, Cyrus Kouandjio, David Yankey, Taylor Lewan
    OG - Gabe Jackson
    OC - None
    DT - Timmy Jernigan, Louis Nix, DeAndre Coleman, Stephen Tuitt
    DE - Jadaveon Clowney, Adrian Hubbard, Anthony Barr, Kyle Van Noy
    LB - Ryan Shazier, Shayne Skov
    DB - Jason Verrett, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Bradley Robey, Antone Exum, LeMarcus Joyner, H. Clinton-Dix, Nickoe Whitley

That's not necessarily all of the players I think are worthy, and in fact some of them aren't what I would deem worthy, but I think they're the most likely to actually go in the 1st.

11. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

Surprised by a few guys on your list, Shayne Skov, Antone Exum, & LaMarcus Joyner. Exum needs to go back to safety & Joyner has played out of position his entire college career. Do you not like C.J. Mosley or Loucheiz Purifoy?

12. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

I don't think there's any doubt that Exum needs to return to safety. Although he might be a fit for a team like Seattle that prefers extremely large CB's. The main issue facing Exum is the fact that he tore his ACL in January playing basketball, and I'd be fairly surprised if he's ready to go against Alabama to begin the season. It's unlikely that he's completely healthy at any point during the 2013 season.

I think Mosley has an excellent chance to be a 1st rounder if he stays healthy. The NFL is prioritizing linebackers who can cover like safeties, and Mosley fits that role perfectly. He's peerless in coverage, diagnoses plays, and has top end speed for a linebacker. He’s intelligent, a good teammate, and not bad against the run. But he’s a bit light for an NFL linebacker, and he’s been nicked up several times so far in his Alabama career. I think he's a better prospect than Manti Te'o or Kevin Minter.

13. ckparrothead

I'm not as big a fan of Purifoy. I believe Joyner is moving back to corner this year and I think he's going to have a big year there, enough that he could sneak into 1st round discussions. I recognize that Exum has a big hill to climb with his torn ACL but I think he's capable of doing so. Hell, Jason Allen got into the mid-1st round despite breaking his hip and risking necrosis Bo Jackson-style. This is a copycat league and there will be enough teams that are moving toward the Seattle way of doing things on defense that I think Exum will find buyers at both corner and safety. Shayne Skov is a theory. I recognize others don't have him there. He was in his first year off a big knee injury last year and I think he'll be more impressive in his second year off the surgery.

14. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Funny you mentioned Bo Jackson. He lives by me in Chicago burbs. I met him a couple of nights ago. We were on the sidewalk leaving a Thai restaurant at same time. I was talking to his wife before I knew who they were. i was chatting with the wife about how it was sunny and rainy at same time. I then realized it was Bo and tried to engage him and he was a total douche. It's not like I was bothering him in any way. I was talking to his wife before I even saw him.

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

any list that doesn't have usc backer dion bailey on it needs a redo...i don't care that the guys light in the pants...that guys as instinctual a backer and explosive as any in the country....he might make a hell of a strong safety...

i think it's highly likely qb teddy bridgewater is the top pick in the 2014 class...

and i'm with the exum needs to go back to safety crowd...he's way too handsy in coverage down the field to get away with all the impeding i see from him in college at corner at the pro level...

16. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

In Bulgaria, if it's raining and sunny at the same time, they use an expression that roughly translates to: bears are having a wedding in the forest.

I obviously wasn't there for your encounter with Jackson, and I don't know what he's like irl, but I do know that he's a very private person. Could have just been uncomfortable.

17. hoops

hoops exited stage left

usc de morgan breslin is interesting...reminds me of a poor mans ryan kerrigan...less explosive imo version

ikpre olomu will go as high as his height dictates...it's all about how tall is he with that kid...serious talent though...

18. ckparrothead

Perhaps that's the part he didn't appreciate, lol.

19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

jake matthew should make an effortless transition to the left side...his feet and lateral quickness are that good...kid just toyed with people on the right side...best tape in 2012 of any tackle in college football probably...

that cyrus kid for bama struggled with some edge rusher in the bama spring game...kinda eye opening considering how highly i think of that left tackle...struggled with his speed off the edge and gaining the corner

20. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

USC probably has some underrated defenders, based on how severely the team lagged expectation. These are 4 and 5 star recruits, almost without exception. New coordinator this year. I think he came from Cal.

Skov was impressive in spring ball, from all reports. Regained some explosion. He doesn't strike me as someone who will wow scouts in a combine setting but on the field and in the lockerroom he's an extraordinary team leader, and incredibly savvy. All you had to do was watch Stanford's defense vs. Oregon in 2011 minus Skov, and the difference last year, even when he wasn't close to 100%.

Van Noy may be a bit of a tweener but it's hard for me to believe there are 20 or 30 players in this class superior to him. He made Ansah look all but invisible more often than not.

21. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

I don't know if he fits our scheme but i would love to get Sammy Watkins in the first round next year.

22. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

I hope we're not picking high enough for Sammy Watkins.

23. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

True statement, but I would still like to have him. I would definitely sacrifice him for a kick-butt season!

24. ckparrothead

I agree with this.

I think USC already had an underrated defender or two, one by the name of Nickell Robey who had to go to the Bills as a UDFA. We'll see on him but that's one of my top 10 UDFAs for sure. T.J. McDonald going in the 3rd round wasn't underrated or overrated...just rated. Wes Horton struck me as overrated back when he was being placed near the top of the class by NFL Draft Scout prior to and during the 2012 season. But as a UDFA, he might be a little undervalued. He looked good during All Star practices and game. I was suprised.

I look forward to seeing Skov return to form this year.

25. ckparrothead

As for USC's upcoming guys on defense...I've never really disliked Morgan Breslin, but I haven't been grabbed by him the same way I have a Kyle Van Noy or Anthony Barr. Watching USC, I always come away feeling like I need to pay more attention to Dion Bailey, George Uko and Leonard Williams than Morgan Breslin. Just a feeling.

And speaking of Stanford, when I try and sit down to watch David Yankey, my eyes usually aren't getting past Cameron Fleming. He's a looker. Great frame, great athleticism. good kick slide. Probably another situation like Texas A&M's where the right tackle might be better than the left tackle. But of course Yankey is no Joeckel.

26. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

slight off topic but for all of you draftniks that use Twitter:

Teddy Bridgewater has finally joined Twitter, you can follow him at @teddyb_h2o

As far as I know he doesn't have a Facebook account or at least one that is public.

27. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

Loving me some Shayne Skov [and no, not in that way :)] think he would fit well in our D, and bring a level of nastiness I don't think we have quite yet. Not sure it will happen what with the recent FA/Draft aquisitions at backer, but he's going to be a player - probably a 2nd rounder though, doubt he goes in the 1st.

28. TedSlimmJr

Dion Bailey is scheduled to move back to his more natural safety position. He simply doesn't have the size to prevent him from being a liability at linebacker against teams that are going to committ to the running game the way Georgia Tech did in the Sun Bowl, where I felt like Bailey struggled more than the other two LB's (Pullard and Dawson).

I'd look for Pullard and Dawson to start at the 'Mike' and 'Will' positions under the new coordinator's 52-defense.

I don't know where that came from about Kouandjio struggling in Bama's spring game but it's inaccurate.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

of course it is...

i watched the spring game...it sure looked to me like the left tackle was having some issues...

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  30. TedSlimmJr

Well I was there and I didn't see any issues with Kouandjio. I've probably talked to 50 people since then that all watched our A-day game and they don't see it either.

Fact is, we only ran about 8 different plays.

I think you're probably on to something here, just not necessarily what you think it is. Ryan Anderson is going to be a dominant force. That's what was on display during our A-day game.

As for Kouandjio, he's a proven commodity.

31. ckparrothead

Some strange editing going on here...

Why does this appear under hooshoops post?

Weird.

32. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

He's a moderator that can edit posts outside of his own.

33. ckparrothead

Didn't know that. He doesn't have a mod badge.

34. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i've seen it do that before...so i don't think he edited anything...system glitch...

still don't agree with him but that's nothing new...

35. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

Yeah, I found out a different way (he deleted my snark one time).

I don't know if he *did* edit anything on that particular post, but he does have the privileges to edit posts, delete posts, etc.

36. carjackistan

carjackistan Rookie

I think you'll definitely see more than two QBs going in the first round, based both on need and talent. People just don't want to project which of the guys in that next tier (Fales, Morris, McCarron, Murray, Manziel, Price etc) will have breakout seasons.

37. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

I don't see why McCarron can't be a Chad Pennington type. You look at a Geno Smith and to me McCarron is so much scarier as an opponent that it's not even funny.

38. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

we finish better than 16.

39. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

we could pull a "Julio Jones"and draft Marquise Lee...that'd be amazing!!!

40. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I lived near SF during the 49ers incredible run so I understand what you mean. It was funny to hear fans talk about Steve Young and how many of them didn't appreciate Young. Always felt kind of bad for him. But, wow to have Joe Montana and then Young. As to Denver, have to believe they are the favorites, but the NFC seems to have the power teams.