New England linebacker Ted Johnson decides to retire | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New England linebacker Ted Johnson decides to retire

FOXBORO, Mass. -- New England linebacker Ted Johnson announced his retirement Thursday after a 10-year NFL career, saying he decided to retire rather than risk further injury following a series of concussions.

A member of three Super Bowl champion teams in New England, Johnson notified the team of his decision a day before veterans were scheduled to begin training camp.

His retirement further weakens the inside linebacker position. Tedy Bruschi, the other starter there, has said he will sit out this season after suffering a minor stroke last winter.

Johnson, 32, was drafted by the Patriots in the second round of the 1995 NFL Draft out of Colorado, the 57th overall player selected. The 6-foot-4, 253-pound linebacker started 106 of 125 regular season games from 1995 through 2004 and was credited with 865 career tackles and 11 1/2 sacks.

In addition to playing on all three Super Bowl winners, he also played on the 1996 team that lost to Green Bay in the title game. He started 15 of the team's 16 games last season after starting only two and playing in only eight in 2003 because of concussions.

"It is with deep regret that I have decided to retire from football," Johnson said in a statement issued by the team. "The decision was not an easy one, but life sometimes has a timetable all its own. I can no longer ignore the severe short- and long-term complications of the concussive head injuries I have sustained over the years."

"I am proud of all that Ted Johnson has done for the Patriots, both on the field and in the community," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said. "I know that he positively impacted the lives of thousands of Patriots fans and I fully expect that he will continue to be a positive role model in our community."

Another gone

There Run Defense is in Trouble. I don't care how deep they think they are at Linebacker. Bruschi and Johnson gone as well as Traylor, they better be ready to pay Seymour big dollars to get him into camp. They need him.

Back
Top Bottom