New Logo Concept

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by captaineo24, Sep 12, 2012.

?

Yay or Nay

Poll closed Sep 14, 2012.
  1. Yay

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Nay

64 vote(s)
    86.5%
  1. captaineo24

captaineo24 Active Member

Hey guys, posting a design I created. I've been reading alot about what people would like to see for our team's new look in 2013. A lot of members love the futuristic dolphin jumping through the ray of sunshine ala the old 'Dolphin Stadium' logo back in 2006. I took a bunch of elements that I loved as well, and meshed them into a little something.

Let me know what you guys think, was my first go around at a fins logo & this is the unpolished version. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. mk613

mk613 Scout Team

Nice try but no. I really don't get the hate for our current logo. It's totally fine. Maybe just get rid of the helmet on the dolphin

3. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

I have to agree with MK on this one. Nice try but not thanks. That is just weird looking.

Forgive my spelling. This was sent from my phone.

4. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

i like it a lot

5. 777

777 Dolfan 4 Life

I like where ur going with it but.....it's not there yet.....keep developing it.......

6. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

What is the obsession with changing miami's logo?

7. JJW1339

JJW1339 OLD SCHOOL

Not bad, but since I have a tattoo with the current logo I would prefer the logo to stay as is...:hump:

8. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

It looks like a toe. Terrible design.

Nothing personal, of course.

9. 72 silky

72 silky Well-Known Member

Because its happening next year.

10. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

I is confused ...

It's not the offseason already, is it?!?

11. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

worst i have seen yet.

sorry dude, you asked for comments and i hope that meant you wanted folks to give honest responses.

FAIL!!

12. eddie4fins

eddie4fins Pro Bowler

most of the elements are taken from the current logo specifically the facial expression...... sorry just calling it how I see it

13. alderash

alderash Active Member

Can't we please get away from the cartoon dolphin? No offense to the OP, but this design feels like the current logo in that it's just too Disneyish.

Of all the designs I've seen so far, the logo from '74 - '89 is still the best. I'm really not trying to live in the glory days, but for me the original logo is classic and timeless. The current logo from '97 to present is just too cartooney.

IMHO, of course.

14. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

15. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Hm... interesting but,

It kinda has that Patriots new logo feel to it.......

16. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Its a good illustration, but that is not a logo, its a cartoon. That is the main gripe with the current logo. It isn't a logo, its a cartoon.

A good logo is distinctive, simple, evocative, relevant and looks good at a variety of sizes and in black and white. The current Miami Dolphins logo is too detailed for a logo. It loses a lot of its detail at smaller sizes, making it look messy and unprofessional.

Your rendition has all of these same flaws. In addition, the dolphin in your logo ends up looking a little bit like a cow because the fins and tail are missing. It looks like exactly how you described it, as a creation from different parts and elements. It doesn't flow well and ends up looking like a Frankenstein logo.

17. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

I found this site with a bunch of concepts:

http://www.dolphinslogo.com/

I kinda like this one:

[​IMG]

It is a good mixture of the stylized logo I put together from the stadium logo with the classic logo.

18. NyPhan23

NyPhan23 Starter

Some of you are being a bit too harsh i think. I do this stuff for a living, and design wise, it's certainly not 'the worst' that we've seen. It's simple, and incorporates a lot of the old... doesn't lose its identity as our logo, but as mentioned before, it does feel a bit frankensteinish. Logos aren't supposed to look like tattoos or cartoons which I've seen some of you suggest (for example, quite a few people would like the finheaven logo on our helmet). Personally, I'm not one for change... but I don't think this is the worst by any means. It certainly could use some work, but might be a step in the right direction if changing the logo is a necessity. Give the guy some credit for trying... jeesh

19. MDFinFan06

MDFinFan06 Fins4life

i gotta admit i voted nay before i even saw your logo. the only change i might support would be to go back to the old dophins logo, which is bare different anyways

20. alderash

alderash Active Member

Yes, exactly!

And despite being a HUGE fan of the classic logo, I could also live with the stadium logo as your avatar, SkapePhin. Good mix of new and classic.

21. ATL_PHIN_FAN

ATL_PHIN_FAN Winner Under Construction

That's good, but I like the full sunburst and the entire dolphin, especially the tail, in the current one. Also the helmet with the "M". One thought for a future attempt might be to have the dolphin jumping more directly at our perspective, as though attacking. My avatar illustrates that thought a bit. Keep trying dude :) Yours looks about as good as any alternative I've seen.

22. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

its not bad, but its too much change for me

23. gdiaz0358

gdiaz0358 Rookie

If we change logo, I say compeletly change it. Not tweek it. I say full color scheme change and all. Miami Sharks!!!

24. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

I really like it. But I am ok with what we have now also. I do think a change would be nice but I am ok if they don't change also. The only thing I DON'T want is those God awful high school looking helmets from the 70s. Those looked like they were designed by a retarded blind child with bad taste.

25. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Nice enough design but it is something you could use for a kids club not a team logo.

I quite like the design on this helmet though again it isnt really suitable.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

I like the shape of the logo but I would like to see new colors. The gray Dolphin is kinda flat and boring, Im not the biggest fan of aqua and orange, but it fits the city of Miami. I would like to see a darker blue/aqua/green color as our major color and maybe a darker orange. Id probably wear a dolphins hat more often if it matched with other clothes besides a miami dolphins shirt, their colors dont match with anything, no ****.

Also I dont like the white helment, I would like to see one of the major or minor colors as the helment color. Maybe something close to this
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  27. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

I don't think you can make a Dolphin look angry.

Like making a angry panda bear. Just weird.

28. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

da ****?!?! Sorry OP no offense but that logo is crap. Our logo is fine the way it is.

29. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

2013dolphinslogo.png

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  30. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Excellent stab at a new design, however, since you asked, I feel it looks like it has a combover.

31. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

This looks modern, not too bad.

32. DanMarino13

DanMarino13 #1 Dolphins fan

That one is actually pretty good.

33. TakeoSpikesNeck

TakeoSpikesNeck Well-Known Member

Needs aqua and orange/navy in it. Not gray....yuckkk

34. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

Your rendering rips! Make its eye look evil mean though.

How 'bout draw up the Dolphin itself in 3-D - the illusion of 3-D (duh). :ponder:

35. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Not too bad. I certainly have seen a lot worse. I think some people have issues with our Dolphin logo because they don't feel it is "tough looking," but if you look at a Dolphin, they don't have a fierce look....they look like they are smiling more than they have a mean looking shark look. I think maybe we could have a couple of different looks, if the NFL would approve it. We could go with the traditional looking uniforms and helmets that we had during the Superbowl, or my favorite looking jersey, worn during Marino's days where the color was more aqua than green, and the numbers and logos stood out better. Than maybe we could have an alternate uniform and helmet. Oregon has numerous jersey and helmet combinations....I just think we could update the logo and create an alternative helmet and jersey. The Broncos updated their helmet logo, and added the streaks up the side of the pants/jersey in the late 90's and went to a more Navy blue. We should do this as well, but stay with the traditional look most of the time and use the alternative look occasionally, just like we do with the orange uniforms.

36. mk613

mk613 Scout Team

I don't want anything that even remotely looks like the new Marlins logo. Sorry but the Miami Marlins logo is just bad well I should say the M itself is ok but that "marlin" Is just awful. Now if the Dolphins go in that direction i will certainly never buy new gear just like i'm not buying any new Marlins gear.

37. mk613

mk613 Scout Team

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 AM ----------

With some adjustments I could possible get on board with it. Still love our current logo though.

38. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

I like it. I think it needs a little something more, but I like what you did.

39. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

[​IMG]

This might be the best shot I've seen taken at an alternative logo....I'd like to see it with some navy blue accents and perhaps with the sun incorpated into this scheme as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
  40. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

[​IMG]

If you want a good logo you have to decide what aspects of the Dolphin you want to project. The current logo is terrible because it's combining this playful leap and cartoon-like drawing style with an angry sneer (all served up with an ill-fitting helmet on top). It's a mixed message and not representative of a) what we want to symbolise the team and b) what aspects of the dolphin should be accentuated.

That's why this logo is a very good starting point. It accentuates forward motion, fluidity, speed, sleekness, determination, intelligence and a bit of flair. It doesn't try to put human emotions on a cartoon animal. It's all the positive traits of the dolphin which are relevant to a sports team.

And, it's fairly contemporary looking. It's not perfect, but it's the sort of starting point I hope the designers begin from.

I thought I would miss the sun, but looking at that logo I don't think I would, if they got it right.