News and notes from Barry Jackson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

News and notes from Barry Jackson

If by "the city is making it very difficult," you mean refusing to pay for it, then yes it is and with good reason. No more public subsidies for billionaires. Let him pay for all of the costs himself (only fair since he keeps all of the profits).

Yeah, the economic impact on South Florida is negligible. Who the hell need all the jobs in building AAA, Marlins Stadium, and Robbie Stadium, along with the people who work there, and the retailers, hotels, bars and restaurants that thrive from them being here?

To hell with all sports franchises, we would be better off without them. A penny saved in taxes will be much better. What the hell were we thinking before?

*SARCASM ALERT !!!

thats a truely unfair statement to make. is it Ross fault that the city is making it VERY difficult for the team to upgrade the stadium (almost impossible to build a new stadium) because of the Marlin's prior f@*! up? NO. i think most SENSIBLE people would say that he is doing the best he can with a small amount of wiggle room

Show me where he's said even once that he wants to build a new stadium.

And why should the city of Miami pay for upgrades to a stadium that's actually in Miami Gardens? The whole reason the stadium is out there is because Joe Robbie paid for it himself after fighting with city commissioners. He didn't want them to benefit from his investment and built a stadium he felt would better serve all of South Florida.

Well, there are consequences to that decision. And among them is that the city of Miami wipes it's hands of your stadium in perpetuity, since you can no longer argue that the stadium contributes to the city in terms of property tax, restaurants and hotels.

Robbie ****ed up, and now we're paying for it. If Ross wants to build a new state of the art stadium inside the city limits, he'll have my support. Wake me when that happens.

Starks has been consistently one of the best DT's in the NFL, and should continue to be so for another 3-5 years. No one can dispute that.

Last year, we lost Langford, and a bit of Merling, from our rotation, and Soliai only plays little more than half the snaps. Odrick moves inside, according to him, around 25% of snaps. Without Starks, who joins the rotation, especially on passing downs when Soliai sits?

Odrick has been good vs the run at DE but, has not provided a pass rush inside or out. IMO, we need to re-sign Starks, and I would rather not re-sign Solia, after this year, and give his money to Starks.

Then, IF Vernon does not work out, we can move Odrick inside to team with Starks as every down players. Would anyone rather have Solia vs Starks?

My argument is that these are related. Odrick is actually a natural pass rusher. I just think he's getting too exhausted playing DE. We need to move him inside permanently to rotate with Starks and Soliai so both he and Starks can remain fresher on nickel downs.

My argument is that these are related. Odrick is actually a natural pass rusher. I just think he's getting too exhausted playing DE. We need to move him inside permanently to rotate with Starks and Soliai so both he and Starks can remain fresher on nickel downs.

In all due respect, Odrick is a kid who should be able to play the snaps. Hell, MANY others are doing the same. He "may" have natural pass rush instincts but, I have yet to see them. From what I have seen, his sacks and hits are created by others or, just because he is the player there.

He has to beat the man in front of him to rush the QB, have not seen that. I am not giving up on him but, Pee Wee needs to get bigger in making some plays. Vernon, Misi, and Starks (at DT) have shown him the way.

In all due respect, Odrick is a kid who should be able to play the snaps. Hell, MANY others are doing the same. He "may" have natural pass rush instincts but, I have yet to see them. From what I have seen, his sacks and hits are created by others or, just because he is the player there.

He has to beat the man in front of him to rush the QB, have not seen that. I am not giving up on him but, Pee Wee needs to get bigger in making some plays. Vernon, Misi, and Starks (at DT) have shown him the way.

From the Miami Herald:

Odrick has been on the field for more than 80 percent of his team’s defensive snaps.

And his best work has been at defensive tackle, where he is usually placed in passing situations. Pro Football Focus ranks Odrick 63rd of the 64 4-3 defensive ends who have taken at least 25 percent of their team’s snaps this season, giving Odrick well-below-average marks in pass rush.

[/COLOR]http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/29/3159911/dolphins-may-capitalize-on-jared.html

Meanwhile, Pro Football Focus rated Odrick as a top 20 3-4 DE in 2011, with many of those snaps coming in nickel passing situations where he was basically a 4-3 DT. Sharing playing time last year he had more sacks (6) than he did this year (5).

His best destiny is inside. Not only is playing outside hurting his production inside, but he's just not very good out there.

Wow :idk: I seriously hope you were very drunk when you wrote that

Should I be hoping he lives longer? The man wants to ensure my team has no viable home field advantage for 25-30 years. I consider that a dire attack, as should everyone. The fact that he's 72 years old is the only silver lining in a situation without many.

I just wish we could get a new state of the art stadium in Biscayne Bay. Sigh...not happening though.

Should I be hoping he lives longer? The man wants to ensure my team has no viable home field advantage for 25-30 years. I consider that a dire attack, as should everyone. The fact that he's 72 years old is the only silver lining in a situation without many.

Wow dude, just wow.

From the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/29/3159911/dolphins-may-capitalize-on-jared.html

Meanwhile, Pro Football Focus rated Odrick as a top 20 3-4 DE in 2011, with many of those snaps coming in nickel passing situations where he was basically a 4-3 DT. Sharing playing time last year he had more sacks (6) than he did this year (5).

His best destiny is inside. Not only is playing outside hurting his production inside, but he's just not very good out there.

In the FWIW dept, Odrick played 951 snaps last year. Old Man Wake had 936, and Starks had 826. Don't see the snap count as an issue on production.

Pee WEE was #21 on PFF's 3-4 DE's in 2011. However, his grade was a negative 0.7, which made him the Dolphins third best DE. Srarks was #6 at +12.4, and Langford was #18 at +2.

I am not giving up on Odrick, as he is young and missed a year due to injury. However, his play (regardless of where) is a concern because he is not beating the man in front of him.

imo odrick is a natural 43 dt...and the best interior pass rusher on the team...there's no doubt all those snaps in space took away from his pass rush on the inside some this year...

if starks returns and you kick odrick inside in a rota with starks and solia then a edge pass rushing force opposite wake is a big need imo...shelby is more a run defender set the edge and poa guy although i also see him as a bit undersized he can flush the qb as a pass rusher at times but he's woefully slow in space and can't close...not enough acceleration to ever provide much pass rush off the edge...

vernon has acceleration and can close and pretty fluid hips he just has at this stage no rush arsenal and no real counter when his initial rush is nullified...still vernon can disengage and get off blocks in space fairly well i'd say...i think i still see more pass rush upside there...

No owner in the NFL would be getting the Dolphins a new stadium right now, not after the Marlins fiasco. To buy the land and build a top notch stadium from the ground up would likely cost over a billion dollars. That's going to require major public financing and I don't see that happening.

I think that major stadium renovations that address the two biggest problems with the current facility (distance from the action, intensity of noise) is the best we can hope for, and it sounds like that's what he wants to do.

And believe me, I'd love to see the team get a new stadium more along the lines of the old Orange Bowl experience more than anyone. It's just not going to happen.

Starks is a great player, this is a good resign. I would like to the team to resign Matt Moore, but he will probably leave for the Jets IMHO..
Daniel Thomas has been garbage since his arrival. Miller has already put him on the bench. It is very clear that we need another big back that plays big.

Obama was not available at the WH in December to meet the Heat? If he doesn't show at the next schedule visit of the reining NBA champs is a bigger douche bag.

No owner in the NFL would be getting the Dolphins a new stadium right now, not after the Marlins fiasco. To buy the land and build a top notch stadium from the ground up would likely cost over a billion dollars. That's going to require major public financing and I don't see that happening.

I think that major stadium renovations that address the two biggest problems with the current facility (distance from the action, intensity of noise) is the best we can hope for, and it sounds like that's what he wants to do.

And believe me, I'd love to see the team get a new stadium more along the lines of the old Orange Bowl experience more than anyone. It's just not going to happen.

The only way a new billion dollar development could happen is if it includes other amenities. I have proposed an idea that Ross get development permission to fill in a section of biscayne bay between Miami and Miami Beach along 175. It could include a 75K football stadium, shopping, restaurants, parks and marina, hard court venue and a PGA gold course. It would be a world class gem. The scenic beauty is already on site. A major development that could get funding from a lot of sources to rejuvenate the team, the town and economy. Big plans require a big man to make it happen. Just a pipe dream these days.

imo odrick is a natural 43 dt...and the best interior pass rusher on the team...there's no doubt all those snaps in space took away from his pass rush on the inside some this year...

if starks returns and you kick odrick inside in a rota with starks and solia then a edge pass rushing force opposite wake is a big need imo...shelby is more a run defender set the edge and poa guy although i also see him as a bit undersized he can flush the qb as a pass rusher at times but he's woefully slow in space and can't close...not enough acceleration to ever provide much pass rush off the edge...

vernon has acceleration and can close and pretty fluid hips he just has at this stage no rush arsenal and no real counter when his initial rush is nullified...still vernon can disengage and get off blocks in space fairly well i'd say...i think i still see more pass rush upside there...

What do we do without Starks, and Solia playing little more than half the time?

Back
Top Bottom