NFL.com- Dolphins offseason forecast, speculates ed reed in miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL.com- Dolphins offseason forecast, speculates ed reed in miami

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
[h=3]What's changing[/h]
Joe Philbin has managed to keep his coaching staff largely intact, which will be beneficial in helping build on a solid foundation in his sophomore season with the team. What will be changing, though, is the Dolphins' roster, as Philbin and general manager Jeff Ireland look to add playmakers on offense to upgrade the league's 27th-ranked scoring attack and give second-year pro Ryan Tannehill the tools he'll need to develop.

[h=3]Biggest free agents[/h]
» LT Jake Long: Long's injury-plagued past two seasons have diminished his value, but rookie offensive tackle Jonathan Martin was only adequate as his replacement when Long landed on injured reserve with a triceps injury. The Dolphins would be wise to look into exploring a deal to keep him.
» CB Sean Smith: When Ireland traded away cornerback Vontae Davis in the preseason, it signaled the team's intent to keep the talented Smith. The fifth-year corner had the best season of his career under coordinator Kevin Coyle, and if the Dolphins can't sign him to a long-term deal, they could look to use the franchise tag to keep him from escaping.
» WR Brian Hartline: Miami's key offseason objective will be to find playmaking wide receivers to help Tannehill, but that shouldn't be at the expense of Hartline, who had a career-high 74 catches for 1,083 yards in 2012. Hartline can be a quality No. 2 receiver and become more of a playmaker with a legit No. 1 opposite him.

[h=3]What they need[/h]Receiver is the Dolphins' most glaring need, but there are others, too. Defensive end Cameron Wake earned another trip to Hawaii thanks to his outstanding work throughout the season, but the Dolphins were unable to get consistent pressure from elsewhere on defense. Pass-rushing help must be near the top of their list. While Smith improved at corner, it was second-year pro Reshad Jones who looked like the most dangerous weapon in their secondary, and the Dolphins need to find someone else who can score points on defense ... perhaps Baltimore's free-agent safety Ed Reed would like to finish out his NFL career in Miami?

[h=3]Offseason crystal ball[/h]
Miami will be a player for one of the three big-name free-agent receivers, and with $44 million in cap space (currently third in the NFL), the Dolphins will have the money to do it. Greg Jennings seems the logical addition given his Packers past with Philbin -- although that didn't help Matt Flynn -- but at 29 years old and coming off an injury-plagued season, it might not be the best decision. Kansas City Chiefs free agent Dwayne Bowe (also 29) is from Miami and previously has expressed an interest in coming home, but he might not fit the bill as a true playmaker. Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Mike Wallace, therefore, could be the answer, and his speed certainly is something lacking in Miami's offense. If Long leaves, then a tackle will become a focus with the Dolphins' stockpile of five of the top 100 picks in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ecast-miami-dolphins?icampaign=ATL_newsdriver

Always so much hope and most of the time im crushed by the fins. I will wait and hold on to my hope. But man i wish we would make some noise. I want this team to be elite.! A lot of high profile players already being rumored to miami so dont get ur hopes up because u no how this could end up. I hope we put together a dream team but its just not that easy.

Don't see it happening unless we pay him big. He's not going to want to go in a rebuilding situation, he can sign for a contender right away. I can see the Colts' signing him especially since he and Pagano are close.

Every time I hear the Dolphins being linked to these "Big Name" Free Agents it makes me think the Philadelphia Eagles and we all know how that worked out.

hell ya jennings wallace and ed reed should be our 3 biggest additions also resigning reggie bush and brian hartline on offense and starks on defense are a must!

No thanks to Reed

I would see this like signing an aging Ronnie Lott or Steve Atwater. I'd be great help for a few years even if Reed isn't that young anymore.

Thing is this is how Ireland would negotiate the deal: (the Money is off, but that's not the point)

Reed: I'd love to play for Miami but I'd need at least 5 million a year.

Ireland: Great! I'll give you $5 dollars.

Reed: No thanks.

Did someone say Mike Wallace? Yes please!

This team is absolutely turnover starved and a hall of fame caliber safety who has an uncanny ability to be around the ball is a free agent? You have to make a call.

Bring Clemons back. Reed is too old and does not fit. Great player, but I would rather have Clemons back.

I checked out the Bengals' message board recently and those fans seem to be very confident that they will sign Wallace and Reggie Bush. Most of them have those signings penciled in as locks.

We need to resign Clemons. We already have a Reed in waiting and his name is Jones. Clemons can fill the job nicely and allow us to put our money elsewhere.

Reed is not coming to Miami. I think either he stays in Balt one more year, goes to NE, or Colts.

Jones the next Reed? Really? Jones is good but Ed Reed is arguably the best Safety of all time.

Jones seems to be heading in the right direction but Ed Reed is a legend. And since he is a legend Jeff Ireland won't be signing him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still like a re-sign of Hartline and Fasano. Bring back Bess in the last year of his deal. Sign Jennings. Draft Ertz. Draft a speed threat in the second or third round. Let Lamar Miller be the guy at RB.

I am not crazy about Jennings age. However, he will know the offense. Loves Joe and I am not convinced Wallace is a complete receiver. His production fit perfectly from Rothlisberger's ability to run around.

I think these weapons fit RT's skill set as well.

Back
Top Bottom