NFL.com- Dolphins offseason forecast, speculates ed reed in miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, Feb 8, 2013.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

[h=3]What's changing[/h]
    Joe Philbin has managed to keep his coaching staff largely intact, which will be beneficial in helping build on a solid foundation in his sophomore season with the team. What will be changing, though, is the Dolphins' roster, as Philbin and general manager Jeff Ireland look to add playmakers on offense to upgrade the league's 27th-ranked scoring attack and give second-year pro Ryan Tannehill the tools he'll need to develop.

[h=3]Biggest free agents[/h]
    » LT Jake Long: Long's injury-plagued past two seasons have diminished his value, but rookie offensive tackle Jonathan Martin was only adequate as his replacement when Long landed on injured reserve with a triceps injury. The Dolphins would be wise to look into exploring a deal to keep him.
    » CB Sean Smith: When Ireland traded away cornerback Vontae Davis in the preseason, it signaled the team's intent to keep the talented Smith. The fifth-year corner had the best season of his career under coordinator Kevin Coyle, and if the Dolphins can't sign him to a long-term deal, they could look to use the franchise tag to keep him from escaping.
    » WR Brian Hartline: Miami's key offseason objective will be to find playmaking wide receivers to help Tannehill, but that shouldn't be at the expense of Hartline, who had a career-high 74 catches for 1,083 yards in 2012. Hartline can be a quality No. 2 receiver and become more of a playmaker with a legit No. 1 opposite him.

[h=3]What they need[/h]Receiver is the Dolphins' most glaring need, but there are others, too. Defensive end Cameron Wake earned another trip to Hawaii thanks to his outstanding work throughout the season, but the Dolphins were unable to get consistent pressure from elsewhere on defense. Pass-rushing help must be near the top of their list. While Smith improved at corner, it was second-year pro Reshad Jones who looked like the most dangerous weapon in their secondary, and the Dolphins need to find someone else who can score points on defense ... perhaps Baltimore's free-agent safety Ed Reed would like to finish out his NFL career in Miami?

[h=3]Offseason crystal ball[/h]
    Miami will be a player for one of the three big-name free-agent receivers, and with $44 million in cap space (currently third in the NFL), the Dolphins will have the money to do it. Greg Jennings seems the logical addition given his Packers past with Philbin -- although that didn't help Matt Flynn -- but at 29 years old and coming off an injury-plagued season, it might not be the best decision. Kansas City Chiefs free agent Dwayne Bowe (also 29) is from Miami and previously has expressed an interest in coming home, but he might not fit the bill as a true playmaker. Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Mike Wallace, therefore, could be the answer, and his speed certainly is something lacking in Miami's offense. If Long leaves, then a tackle will become a focus with the Dolphins' stockpile of five of the top 100 picks in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ecast-miami-dolphins?icampaign=ATL_newsdriver

2. WestSideFin

WestSideFin A True Fan

Always so much hope and most of the time im crushed by the fins. I will wait and hold on to my hope. But man i wish we would make some noise. I want this team to be elite.! A lot of high profile players already being rumored to miami so dont get ur hopes up because u no how this could end up. I hope we put together a dream team but its just not that easy.

3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Don't see it happening unless we pay him big. He's not going to want to go in a rebuilding situation, he can sign for a contender right away. I can see the Colts' signing him especially since he and Pagano are close.

4. maso3348

maso3348 Scout Team

Every time I hear the Dolphins being linked to these "Big Name" Free Agents it makes me think the Philadelphia Eagles and we all know how that worked out.

5. dolphinbryan

dolphinbryan Well-Known Member

hell ya jennings wallace and ed reed should be our 3 biggest additions also resigning reggie bush and brian hartline on offense and starks on defense are a must!

6. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

No thanks to Reed

7. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf A True Fan

I would see this like signing an aging Ronnie Lott or Steve Atwater. I'd be great help for a few years even if Reed isn't that young anymore.

Thing is this is how Ireland would negotiate the deal: (the Money is off, but that's not the point)

Reed: I'd love to play for Miami but I'd need at least 5 million a year.

Ireland: Great! I'll give you $5 dollars.

Reed: No thanks.

8. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Did someone say Mike Wallace? Yes please!

9. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

This team is absolutely turnover starved and a hall of fame caliber safety who has an uncanny ability to be around the ball is a free agent? You have to make a call.

10. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Bring Clemons back. Reed is too old and does not fit. Great player, but I would rather have Clemons back.

11. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

I checked out the Bengals' message board recently and those fans seem to be very confident that they will sign Wallace and Reggie Bush. Most of them have those signings penciled in as locks.

12. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

We need to resign Clemons. We already have a Reed in waiting and his name is Jones. Clemons can fill the job nicely and allow us to put our money elsewhere.

13. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Reed is not coming to Miami. I think either he stays in Balt one more year, goes to NE, or Colts.

14. illscriptures

illscriptures We need better LB's

Jones the next Reed? Really? Jones is good but Ed Reed is arguably the best Safety of all time.

Jones seems to be heading in the right direction but Ed Reed is a legend. And since he is a legend Jeff Ireland won't be signing him.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  15. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I still like a re-sign of Hartline and Fasano. Bring back Bess in the last year of his deal. Sign Jennings. Draft Ertz. Draft a speed threat in the second or third round. Let Lamar Miller be the guy at RB.

I am not crazy about Jennings age. However, he will know the offense. Loves Joe and I am not convinced Wallace is a complete receiver. His production fit perfectly from Rothlisberger's ability to run around.

I think these weapons fit RT's skill set as well.

16. russianbear

russianbear A True Fan

I'm curious as to why the Bengals are so sure of attaining Mike Wallace....

17. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

I just went to the Bengals message board and didn't see anything like this at all. I saw some mention of Wallace and Bush, but nothing that makes it appear that they are very confident or penciling them in locks. I did see one thread that was linked to an article from NFL.com where the writer made "Bold Predictions" for the 2013 offseason and he had Bush and Wallace going to the Bengals. Perhaps that is what you saw over there, but definitely not the way you described it. If we are going off that "Bold Predictions" article as being "locks" than I guess Greg Jennings and Wes Welker are coming to Miami, because that is what that article says.

18. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Reed may have lost a step, but I think he could really help our younger d-backs in learning how to make INTs, and how to make some hard hits and tackles. I think making picks becomes contagious....once you see guys making INTs, you see the whole defense getting them. It seems Miami just has trouble making picks.....Gabril Wilson, Y. Bell....now Sean Smith....the ball hits them in the hands and they drop it. I would make Reed a fair offer.

19. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Well the Bengals do have the most cap space out of any team in the NFL, so they could make a run at anyone they want. I believe the Dolphins $43.5 million in cap space is the fourth largest in the NFL behind the Bengals, Browns and Colts.

20. illscriptures

illscriptures We need better LB's

Imagine how much better Jones will become when he is playing next to Ed Reed!

21. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

My Plan A
    Sign Walace then sign as many of my own that I can to keep the any holes filled on the team until I draft their replacement.
    Wallace Pitt 10-11 Million 11 million (We need a speed WR playmaker and we break the bank for this guy)
    Levitte Buff 7 Million 18 million (Long I have to let walk injuries and this is replacement as I reshuffle the OL deck)
    Smith Phins 8 Million 26 million (We have 2 holes at CB if this guy leaves he is still young enought and affordable enough to keep)
    Starks Phins 7 Million 33 million (Guys been a playmaker for us stayed healthy. We have depth here but hate to let talent walk)
    Fasano Phins 4 Million 37 million (Guys dependable and blocks where other falter. Position of need evevates his status. Good not great pass catcher.)
    ClemmonPhins 3 Miillion 40 Million (Affordable until draft help arrives and fills position of need)
    Bush Phins 2-3 Million 43 Million (Bush is a maybe. I want him as a playmaker, but the position and his style allow me to move in another dirrection. Still I allocate this money for another FA back even if Bush does not return.

Free agents I let walk and why Hartline WR because I signed Wallace, Long OT because I sigined Levitte, McDanniel DT because of injury concern, depth at his position and I resigned Starks, Grardner OT/G because I signed Levitte and have lots of young talent in the fold, Marshall CB because he ended on IR and I have Patterson in the fold who is a better replacement, and Moore because he probably will not want to come back.

Draft Round 1 DE (Ireland had been trying to draft one in the first round for 3 years)
    Round 2 CB (This is a position of need at this point)
    Round 2 TE (With all the money in Wallace we do not need to throw more resourses at the WR but we need a top TE to help the passing game)
    Round 3 OT (A right tackle could still be avaibable at this point to help fill the rotation at that postion and backup John Jerry as insurance)
    Round 3 LB (Linebackers are getting old and we need insurance)
    Round 4 S (Still looking for Clemons replacement to groom)
    Round 5 CB (Insurance and depth at a positon of need)
    Round 7 QB (Taking a gamble here with Delvin and a rookie as my backups but Moore is leaving and we need 3 QB's)
    Round 7 RB (Looking for that pounder and Gray may be the man but a little insurance never hurt)

Questionable move first letting Long walk but hopefully reoranizating the line will help. Martin at LT Levitte at LG Pouncy at C Incognitto at RB and John Jerry at OT might offset the absense of Long by putting players in positions on the line that they may play better at.

Questionable move not drafting a WR and instead drafting a TE. Wallace I want on the field and I would we forced to put the 2nd rounder out there also which would be OK but the TE in the 2nd round should benefit Tannehill better than Wallace and a 2nd roudn receiver. So you have Fasano/ Clay and the 2nd rounder plus Wallace, Bess in the slot and Mathew and Binns manning the other outiside postion.

Questionable letting Bush walk. (IMO neither Miller, Thomas or Bush are really in between the tackle running backs, IMO all of them play the running back position the same which while I hate to loose a playmaker with Bush I have Miller who offers that same features as Bush and Thomas who is better blocking and catching the ball out of the backfield than than running between the tackle the way he is being used and Thigpin is not a between the tackles guy either and we can only keep 4 RB on the active roster. So I
    need Bushes position for that 4 between the tackle running back. My feartured backfield would be Miller/ New Guy as Thomas as both their backup and Thigpin a change of pace type guy.

22. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

Must be we don't need to play with a TE on offense anymore. Maybe 4 and 5 wide every down or 3 with 2 h-backs, I guess. If Fasano doesn't re-sign we have not one serviceable TE on the roster but I guess that must not constitute a need.

23. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

dont think we would still be under the cap if we went with these guys.even Madden PS3 would not allow it

24. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

Now is the time....execute order 66.

25. Digital

Digital Starter

Look, our offense is rebuilding, and for that we will really need a veteran OL and WR to help the young guys along. I see the rationale for bringing in a Jennings or resigning Long or keeping Incognito. But, the defense isn't really in the same boat. We are probably 1 season away from blowing up our LB corps and rebuilding it. Our DL needs a pass rusher but otherwise is OK for a few years. We are looking for long term starters at DB. Reed is the cherry on top of the ice cream that makes a good desert great ... he could also relay some excellent advice for young safeties. But, the problem is that aside from Reshad Jones, I don't think our answers are currently on the roster unless we resign Smith. We need a draft pick CB and possibly another via FA if Smith walks. Clemons is kind of at the point where he should be starting, so resign him or move on. I don't know that we could afford to bring in Ed Reed--the greatest safety in the history of the game--just to help Reshad Jones who already is playing lights-out safety.

But, it sure would piss off Brady and Bellichik. ;)

26. Chuck-182

Chuck-182 Well-Known Member

THIS!!! If we got Ed Reed I would be so freaking excited.

27. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Hey, there is cause for optimism. This is the first time in over a decade where we have lots of money and lots of high draft picks. We have a good young QB and the makings of a decent defense.

28. phinnatic91

phinnatic91 Member

I would take Jarius Byrd or Louis Delmas at Fs

29. The_Phish

The_Phish A True Fan

Hmmmm....Go play in the sunshine state or in Ohio where its not safe to go out after dark. Seems like a no brainer to me.

30. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

[​IMG]

31. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Mike Wallace needs to be the #1 target. He's exactly what this team needs. Even in what was a down year for him, Wallace scored 8 touchdowns and his speed opens up the running game. Miami can look for a physical receiver in the draft and have a nice unit going forward.

As to Sean Smith, I don't know if he's even an average corner. I do think he still has some upside, but if his salary demands start climbing above $5 million a year I wouldn't be too quick to re-sign him.

32. state06

state06 A True Fan

I love Reed, but i tend to agree. We have a young team and need to develop talent. Continuity is HUGE in the NFL...to counter that though, is a greater (short term) talent.

33. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Agreed. No reason for Reed to be in Miami. Nice player, great career, but that doesn't help us now. 6 or 7 years ago? Sure, but not now.

34. southjerzmastax

southjerzmastax Well-Known Member

I would love to have Ed Reed come to my favorite team. He is my second favorite player behind Cameron Wake.

35. Oronde

Oronde Well-Known Member

The only major benefit to Reed is that he might bring some semblance of a winning culture with him. And that's if you even buy into that making a difference to begin with. As a player, he's unfortunately a bit washed up now and might get overpaid on reputation.

I think Ravens free agents in general are going to be, for lack of a better word, "toxic". Remember when Al Davis would always hand out some ridiculous contract to a guy who was just coming off a big Super Bowl? I feel like because they won the Super Bowl and because some of these guys who made a big splash are now hitting the market, they'll all get overpaid.

36. Kwill

Kwill Rookie

Ed Reed is a raven for life. Why speculate

37. mike1012

mike1012 Member

no thanks. we don't need aging stars on the down side. we need to keep building this team through the draft and supplement the drafts with younger free agents. now if we could just get a gm that can put together two or three solid drafts

38. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Unless we make Reed the best offer there is little reason for him to come to a team like Miami and be on outside looking in at playoffs at this stage of career

39. JRM72180

JRM72180 Rookie

Everyone one says he is going to the Patriots.

40. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

We do not need and old oft injured player like Wes or Jennings on this team, they represent Jake Grove type moves players who played elite and now have hit that hump. Sure if we were a playoff team and one of these guys could fill a hole you sign them to a 1 year deal and hope that they are there at the end. I really believe Wallace should be the choice if we can get the guy.

41. phinfanNY08

phinfanNY08 Starter

Ed Reed would be a sick pick up. A ball hawk in the secondary? Hasn't happened since we had Sam and pat

42. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama FinHeaven VIP

Please let this happen