NFL free agent Kirk Cousins vs. Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill: Who’s better? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL free agent Kirk Cousins vs. Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill: Who’s better?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
cousins.jpg

Cousins and Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill were part of the same 2012 draft class, with Tannehill going No. 8 overall (third quarterback selected) and Cousins landing with Washington as a fourth-rounder at No. 102 (eighth quarterback). While their careers took much different paths as Tannehill started immediately and Cousins worked his way up from the bench, their career numbers aren’t far apart.
Cousins, who has three seasons as a full-time starter compared to Tannehill’s five, has a slight edge over him in most categories. He’s ahead in completion percentage (65.5 to 62.7), yards per game (261.4 to 239.7), yards per attempt (7.5 to 7) and passer rating (93.7 to 86.5).
In terms of touchdowns and interceptions, Tannehill has more of both. He’s got a 106-99 edge in touchdown passes, but has thrown 66 picks to Cousins’ 55. Tannehill’s percentage of passes that went for touchdowns is 4.0 (Cousins’ is 4.7) and 2.5 of his attempts have been intercepted (2.4 for Cousins).
Over the 2015 and ’16 seasons, Cousins completed 68.3 percent of his passes, averaged 283.8 yards per game, had 54 touchdowns against 23 interceptions and posted a 99.3 passer rating. The four players with a higher rating over those two seasons were Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Russell Wilson.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ns-vs-dolphins-qb-ryan-tannehill-whos-better/

Cousins is going to Denver so this is just for conversation sake. Both are very good QB's. It just will matter the costs. I believe Cousins will see north of $25 mil a year in Denver.

Last edited:
Most would agree that Cousin's is the better QB. Tannehill just fits Miami's style much better.

Cousins is better but his contract is going to suck so much. He will be getting Matt Stafford type money I bet.

Interesting that he was the second QB drafted by the Skins that year. They took RG3 first.

Interesting that he was the second QB drafted by the Skins that year. They took RG3 first.
ya, he was hand picked by Mike Shanahan who didn't even want RG3. I often wonder where Washington would be if they didn't trade for RG3, kept all the picks, and just rolled with Cousins. Shanahan got screwed in Washington.

I believe Cousins is slightly better but not by much. I think if nothing else i rather have Tannehill due to his athletic ability and this oline not being very good.

I believe Cousins is slightly better but not by much. I think if nothing else i rather have Tannehill due to his athletic ability and this oline not being very good.
Cousins has had some very very good coordinators over the years as well, Tannehill....eh

Cousins is better because he is not scare throw ball. win or lose. Thill17 plays not to lose a game safe.

Back
Top Bottom