NFL Gregg Rosenthal says Ireland looks desperate

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolfan Dave, Mar 13, 2013.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. Dolfan Dave

Dolfan Dave A True Fan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150169/article/what-we-learned-on-day-one-of-free-agency

2. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

I think there was some pressure to show that the Phins are able to attract popular 'name' guys. And the ones he landed are nice athletes.

3. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

And if he missed on Wallace and didn't go after an Ellerbe or a Wheeler, he'd be getting killed by everyone. Ireland can't win in the eyes of some people.

4. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

He got younger and better at lb and signed the best available player to a fair contract. [removed by Mod]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  5. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

greg you sir are an idiot

6. xXwarXx

xXwarXx A True Fan

He probably is desperate, and he did buy high, but that doesn't change the fact all moves he made today make us a far better team.

7. EmperorPhin

EmperorPhin Scout Team

Exactly and he has the money to overspend a little if he has to

8. DzakkH13

DzakkH13 Winning is a Habit Donator

More athletic at LB is probably a counter to the mobile QBs and the read option.

It seemed like we'd get killed by a long QB run ever game and hopefully speed at LB can help change that.

9. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team

I like the aggressiveness. However, one concern is going from cap heaven to cap hell in 2-3 years. Lok at Hartline who has a backloaded deal with only a reported 2.5m cap hit this year. Same with Wallace and others. I am slightly concerned that Ireland was so prudent in his first few years is just saying to hell with it- win now or I lose the job, and who cares about the cap situation in 2 years.

10. Brad528

Brad528 Pro Bowler

Who.cares what these clowns say. Truth is we are getting better at most positions so far and getting younger both positives . Plus his argument was both the players have played very good but not for a long time as if.thats a bad thing to bring in young talent with upsides.witbout having to gamble.on the draft. Signing players who have proved they belong in this league to good contract$ its not a bad thing just because a few dumb announcers dont get it

11. SRM

SRM Scout Team

Is it not the point of free agency to fill holes that you desperately need filled? There's a reason why every single year a new benchmark is set on price tags. Teams need players.

12. Dolfan Dave

Dolfan Dave A True Fan

I think they'll be able to restructure those guys. Also who cares cross that bridge when you get there.

13. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 A True Fan

It is the absolute truth. This off season has the beginnings of a miserable debacle.

14. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Scout Team

And I'm desperate to see the team win, Rosenthal's point? I feel Ireland did a good job getting the players he wanted out of the gate.

15. iambanned

iambanned A True Fan

The bigger risk here was failing to improve Miami for 2013 and I think he's gone leagues to prevent that failure, though some shrewd moves are still required, as CB, DE, and OL are surely in need of NFL caliber upgrades.
    Wallace's relative youth makes that deal palatable, as he still has years of spring in his step ahead barring the kind of injuries that could lame anyone. Not only that, but you've cleared almost every hurdle necessary to truly evaluate your starting QB moving into the future. No more excuses, unless you totally fan on improving the O-Line.

16. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

While I definitely like Ireland's aggressiveness, I can understand why some are skeptical of the future consequences of this approach. But this is how it works in today's NFL for GMs.

GMs and coaching regimes have fairly short timeframes to prove themselves - I feel like they basically work with 4 year windows. One window is when you have your franchise QB on his rookie deal - you can load up on talent and you have a few years to get a SB title if your QB develops quickly. This is what the Ravens basically did and the Jets almost did.

If you're unsuccessful, heck, you've probably lost your job anyways and someone else has to clean up your cap mess. If you're successful, well, you've got the afterglow of a championship, and you're going to be "re-tooling" around your now RICH franchise QB with hopefully young talent you've been drafting those years during the first "window."

17. Imperium

Imperium FinHeaven VIP

There was probably some desperation but look at some of the other signings around the league. Ireland was hardly the only one overpaying.

My biggest worry is that some of these backloaded contracts could come to bite us in the *** in 2 or 3 years when Tannehill is hitting his prime. On the other hand, these contract don't really matter if Tannehills doesn't become the franchise QB we hope he is. Honestly, I'd rather Ireland take a chance or two.

18. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

It's a valid concern that there might be hell to pay in a few years. If things don't work out Ireland really has screwed up any future GM's position to rebuild. But I also like the aggressiveness. I'm hoping we're not nearly finished with our moves since at this point we haven't gotten necessarily better on defense just different. That difference if followed through with other moves may lead to dramatic improvements and that I find very exciting.

19. KippyIA1354

KippyIA1354 Home of the ONE and ONLY PERFECT TEAM!

Let's put this turd in perspective, Gregg Rosenthal is a self proclaimed Patriot fan! That's all you need to know! He's like every other pudd on ESPN, PFT,and NFL Network that are major Patriot fluffers!!!He's a frequent guest on the BIG O show! Who is another turd that is the biggest waffler on local sports talk!

20. Perfect23

Perfect23 A True Fan

please cut either Dansby or Burnett tommorow

21. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

lol what? The Dolphins landed the top overall free agent on the market and two of the top linebackers on the market. Just stop, Miami is much better today than they were yesterday.

22. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

They have both been released.

23. Johnstone

Johnstone Well-Known Member

I like what Ireland is doing. He's going down, with guns blazing. I would do the same thing, too, if I had one year left on my contract.

24. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Cleveland Browns had 47 mil to spend, who wants to play for the Browns?

thats right, no one. but hey, the castoffs will end up there, cus there is not much elsewhere to go.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

its funny that elliott mentioned the word miserable.

25. BassFin

BassFin Starter

He spent big on a WR that scores TDs consistently who will make everyone else on offense better. He then dropped two older LBs for two younger LBs that rush the QB much better and basically it was a wash.
    How is that being desperate?

And for those complaining about us being in cap hell in a few years, Dawn Aponte is very good at what she does. I don't think it will be as bad as you all are thinking. Let the numbers play out before jumping to conclusions.

26. GEORGIA FIN

GEORGIA FIN FIN FOR LIFE

This is coming from a grown man who chases other grown men into a locker room like some high school groupie and he calls us desparate. Right.

27. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

If you're judging our team based on what we lost to or took from the market Dansby and Burnett are two of the best linebackers on the market now so thats a wash and we lost one of the best left tackles, one of the best running backs and one of the best cornerbacks to the market so I don't see how you can say we're MUCH better now. We're not even back to even yet imo but we still have money so we'll see.

28. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

Please correct me if I am wrong but aren't the contracts for Ellerbe and Wheeler cheaper than those for Dansby and Burnett? Don't they pretty much wash out this year and next even with the dead cap? So, who is this tool referring to when alluding to or salary cap apocalypse? Wallace? If Flacco and Manning aren't hampering their teams then Wallace definitely is not a problem. I think you can kiss Ireland's butt!

29. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Nub,

You've been here long enough to know some folks will never be satisfied. Quite frankly, thats okay~

30. Doug385

Doug385 Well-Known Member

did you hear any of the media saying this when the Jets went all in? And their horizon looked much worse IMO...

31. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

Who cares how many games Ellerbe started? The guy tore it up. I love how people are saying losing himmis a devastating blow to the Ravens, but we overpaid for him and its a desparate signing for us.

32. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

Not sure this is the best way to look at things. If we did nothing we would have a great cap situation and no players. Something had to give.

33. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Don't see what's wrong with what he said, Ireland is desperate trying to save his job. I'm sure if he had a 3 year window he would build through the draft instead. But he doesn't. This better work out or we may have screwed ourselves a few years.

34. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

THERES A REASON FOR THAT!

no playoffs [that 1st year wildcat was a fluke and had NOTHING to do with anything ireland did], maybe the most untalented team in the nfl and slow, poor drafts, bust free agents, weird interviews..................... .

this is why. some fans think ireland has done no wrong and everything he has failed at is over blown or someone elses fault.

SHOW ME THE PLAYOFF WINS! SHOW ME THE SUPERBOWLS! SHOW ME THE PROBOWLS!!!

and i like the moves so far in this f/a. but, i dont see the pats quaking in their cleats over any of them. billichek has dealt with and beat much more badaz players than ellerbe and wheeler. the money to production [and attitude] with dansby and burnett were not up to par with the money they were paid and we got younger and cheaper in those two spots. we have NO ONE right now who can stop the pass . doesnt matter if you can score 37 points a game if your oponents can put up 47. [see the marino years].

ireland IS desperate. he has failed big time to make this team a winner and some of his actions have tarnished the reputation of the club with players avoiding us like aids for the last 3 years. no more parcells to blame. he is naked [eek] and alone in this thing and he HAS to grab all he can.

he better get some REAL db's and a couple more playmakers in this draft or he is likely gone. and rightfully so.

35. raving

raving Starter

What in the world was this guy Rosenthal saying? All players, coaches and GM's in this league are WAAAYYY out on an edge - desperate - if you will!

That's what makes this whole thing so amazingly exciting and real. It mirrors some aspect of life - masculine life.

It's war and war is desperate.

Ireland made moves that showed him to be lying low and accumulating assets. Now he is exploding!

He has the bank roll to sign 7 to 10 more impact players. That's unprecedented. And he has bank in the draft too!

People cannot believe that our Dolphins are no longer gonna be the mother freaking LA Rams of old, or The N.O. Saints of old where they stunk or mediocre for decades.

Its over - and all of these overpaid, low IQ prognosticators are squirming in their own skin at the reality that our beloved Dolphins are on the brink of a long-term turn around.

Thank you Jawfree Ireland - as much as you aged many of us fans for several years - it seems you might actually add some years back on to our lives after all!

36. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

We got younger and faster at linebacker for about the same amount of money. We got the best overall free agent in Mike Wallace, who greatly improves the WR corps and strengthens the passing game with a quarterback who now has a year of experience under his belt.

Fasano is already gone. Bush will be gone, and Long and Smith are likely gone. Free agency is far from done(not even 24 hours into it) and they still have the draft to fill some of those holes with close to equal or superior talent. I think it can be argued that Lamar Miller is at least a comparable replacement for Reggie Bush since he can do a lot of the same things without all the backfield dancing. Still sad to see Bush go though. The Dolphins still have about $10 million left to spend on free agents(I am setting aside the other $10 million in space for draft picks and in-season money) and 9 total draft picks(should be 10 by next week) that include 5 picks in the top 82.

Maybe my comment of better today than yesterday was premature if comparing it to the end of 2012 season roster. However, with what they already added and the resources they still have to continue adding, I think it is safe to say the roster will be better than last year. At least on paper.

37. Tupac Shakur

Tupac Shakur troublesome Finheaven VIP Donator

38. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

Shocking!

39. templarwd

templarwd Starter

Rosenthal is by no menas the only one. Just watch 10min. of the 4-letter or listen to the national sports-blab radio shows on XM. Ieralnd is "overpaying and the Phins still have no shot at the playoffs. NE still wins the AFC East going away. "

40. JRYCRL

JRYCRL Well-Known Member

rotflmfao

41. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

I don't have a problem with this perspective. Ireland is desperate. But all that's gonna matter is the results on the field. This is a performance and results oriented based business. If Philbin and Tannehill get the job done, we will be good. That simple.

42. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

Let's just stop with the superlatives.

One of the best RBs? Adrian Peterson is the BEST RB in the league. Comparing Reggie Bush to Adrian Peterson in 2013 is ridiculously laughable. He's not even in the same class. Bush notched 986 yards 6 TDs in 2012, 1,086 yards 6 TDs in 2011... while running behind that supposed "one of the best left tackles". Adrian Peterson had 2,097 yards and 12 TDs LAST YEAR. That's more than Bush in TWO seasons.

In 7 seasons, Reggie Bush has 967 attempts, 4,162 yards, 29 TDs for 4.3 ypa. He has 372 receptions, 2,730 yards, 15 TDs for 7.3 ypc. 6,892 total yards, 44 TDs in SEVEN seasons.

In 6 seasons, Adrian Peterson has 1754 attempts, 8849 yards, 76 TDs for 5.0 ypa. He has 177 receptions, 1,526 yards, 4 TDs for 8.6 ypc. 10,375 total yards, 80 TDs in SIX seasons.

Reggie Bush is an average RB who once had Elite MEASURABLES. And I'm tired of hearing how "elite" he is. He is AVERAGE. You can draft anyone and achieve the numbers he has given us while he rehabbed his career. Yes, he was just about done as a starter in this league.

One of the BEST cornerbacks in the league? Please, you jest. Smith's niche is supposedly his ability to cover the bigger WR1's in the league. He was drafted, in part, to stop Randy Moss, at the time. Last year, Andre Johnson torched us for 8 receptions, 119 yards and a TD. Larry Fitzgerald had 8 receptions, 64 yards and a TD. Michael Crabtree 9 receptions, 93 yards. The Colts LIT US UP for 433 passing yards. Take your pick of ANY of their 4 WRs that had at least 5 receptions and 75 yards. A.J. Green 9 receptions, 65 yards and a TD.

There's your ELITE CB. And that doesn't even illustrate his weakness to smaller, quicker WRs such as Welker and Steve Johnson. Because no matter what excuses you have about the offense moving away from him on the WRs above, he was slid smaller WRs like Welker and Johnson just as much. His supposed strength only illustrates his huge glaring weakness. He's a liability, at best.

Sean Smith is an AVERAGE CB with ELITE MEASURABLES. A situational CB at best.

Jake Long.... where do I begin? I was once one of his biggest fans. And I was going to look up stats to prove/disprove his elite abilities in the past two years. But there's no game tape. He wasn't on the field long enough. Oh well!

I APPLAUD IRELAND for manning up to the fact these players are not worth the money they want. He made the tough decisions that have slowly sucked the life out of this team as the fans keep waiting for these "ELITE" players to produce but instead only deliver excuses and promises. We NEED results. And frankly, these "ELITE" players you speak of are rather easily replaced by much cheaper players who fit who we are NOW. Not who we were when they were acquired.

It's a new day in Dolphinland. THANK GOD!

43. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

So far Ireland is a freaking Rock Star. There will always be some media-moron to throw rocks at what the Dolphins do. We are younger and more athletic at linsbacker. We landed the best reciever in free agency and brought back the right guys from our team so far. This is a great job imo. Nobody could have predicted these brilliant linebacker moves. Alot of people on this site were calling for Dansbys overpriced head and now he's replaced. Is Ireland trolling Finheaven?

44. enigmatics

enigmatics Go get me a juice box!

Dafuq?

Nobody knew we were even talking to them in the first place.

45. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Has he even watched the dolphins in the last 5 years? No kidding he looked desperate.

46. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Desperation would be signing Wallace Jennings and Cook with no regard for the cost.

Upgrading the linebackers indicates long term planning and confidence in your job security.

47. moparman

moparman Active Member

Who cares what the media say, we are a better team today.

48. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

49. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I didn't say they were the best in the league, I said they were some of the best options at those positions in free agency. Reading comprehension could have saved you a lot of typing...

50. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

If that douche thinks Ireland is desperate surely he's commented how desperate Andy Reed looked x10 resigning Bowe for close to top dollar, trading what he did for a mediocre system QB with no deep ball, signing Fasano, a mediocre receiving TE etc etc..or is this another "let's dump on Befriended cause it's the thing to do?" **** him and his parents for not using a condom!