NFL Gregg Rosenthal says Ireland looks desperate | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Gregg Rosenthal says Ireland looks desperate

While I definitely like Ireland's aggressiveness, I can understand why some are skeptical of the future consequences of this approach. But this is how it works in today's NFL for GMs.

GMs and coaching regimes have fairly short timeframes to prove themselves - I feel like they basically work with 4 year windows. One window is when you have your franchise QB on his rookie deal - you can load up on talent and you have a few years to get a SB title if your QB develops quickly. This is what the Ravens basically did and the Jets almost did.

If you're unsuccessful, heck, you've probably lost your job anyways and someone else has to clean up your cap mess. If you're successful, well, you've got the afterglow of a championship, and you're going to be "re-tooling" around your now RICH franchise QB with hopefully young talent you've been drafting those years during the first "window."

There was probably some desperation but look at some of the other signings around the league. Ireland was hardly the only one overpaying.

My biggest worry is that some of these backloaded contracts could come to bite us in the ass in 2 or 3 years when Tannehill is hitting his prime. On the other hand, these contract don't really matter if Tannehills doesn't become the franchise QB we hope he is. Honestly, I'd rather Ireland take a chance or two.

I like the aggressiveness. However, one concern is going from cap heaven to cap hell in 2-3 years. Lok at Hartline who has a backloaded deal with only a reported 2.5m cap hit this year. Same with Wallace and others. I am slightly concerned that Ireland was so prudent in his first few years is just saying to hell with it- win now or I lose the job, and who cares about the cap situation in 2 years.
It's a valid concern that there might be hell to pay in a few years. If things don't work out Ireland really has screwed up any future GM's position to rebuild. But I also like the aggressiveness. I'm hoping we're not nearly finished with our moves since at this point we haven't gotten necessarily better on defense just different. That difference if followed through with other moves may lead to dramatic improvements and that I find very exciting.

Let's put this turd in perspective, Gregg Rosenthal is a self proclaimed Patriot fan! That's all you need to know! He's like every other pudd on ESPN, PFT,and NFL Network that are major Patriot fluffers!!!He's a frequent guest on the BIG O show! Who is another turd that is the biggest waffler on local sports talk!

It is the absolute truth. This off season has the beginnings of a miserable debacle.

lol what? The Dolphins landed the top overall free agent on the market and two of the top linebackers on the market. Just stop, Miami is much better today than they were yesterday.

I like what Ireland is doing. He's going down, with guns blazing. I would do the same thing, too, if I had one year left on my contract.

Cleveland Browns had 47 mil to spend, who wants to play for the Browns?

thats right, no one. but hey, the castoffs will end up there, cus there is not much elsewhere to go.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

its funny that elliott mentioned the word miserable.

He spent big on a WR that scores TDs consistently who will make everyone else on offense better. He then dropped two older LBs for two younger LBs that rush the QB much better and basically it was a wash.
How is that being desperate?

And for those complaining about us being in cap hell in a few years, Dawn Aponte is very good at what she does. I don't think it will be as bad as you all are thinking. Let the numbers play out before jumping to conclusions.

This is coming from a grown man who chases other grown men into a locker room like some high school groupie and he calls us desparate. Right.

lol what? The Dolphins landed the top overall free agent on the market and two of the top linebackers on the market. Just stop, Miami is much better today than they were yesterday.

If you're judging our team based on what we lost to or took from the market Dansby and Burnett are two of the best linebackers on the market now so thats a wash and we lost one of the best left tackles, one of the best running backs and one of the best cornerbacks to the market so I don't see how you can say we're MUCH better now. We're not even back to even yet imo but we still have money so we'll see.

Please correct me if I am wrong but aren't the contracts for Ellerbe and Wheeler cheaper than those for Dansby and Burnett? Don't they pretty much wash out this year and next even with the dead cap? So, who is this tool referring to when alluding to or salary cap apocalypse? Wallace? If Flacco and Manning aren't hampering their teams then Wallace definitely is not a problem. I think you can kiss Ireland's butt!

Nub,

You've been here long enough to know some folks will never be satisfied. Quite frankly, thats okay~

did you hear any of the media saying this when the Jets went all in? And their horizon looked much worse IMO...

Back
Top Bottom